• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ Plans to Restrict Password Sharing in 2024, Disney+/Hulu Raise Prices of Ad-Free Tiers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:36 am Reply with quote
If they do restrict passwords, I won't hesitate to cancel. I share my account with a fellow resident who works her ass off and I will gladly give her something to entertain herself with so she can chill when she gets home. If that will no longer be a possibility, I see no reason to stay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:43 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling that Netflix had got the ball rolling on this, I had just hoped it would have taken longer for other streaming services to follow. though in the case of Disney+ I feel it's less worth getting as if you've had it long enough you've likely watched all the Films that you want to.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:
And it is a foolish choice. Netflix could get away with it because their service has that much value to it. Disney frankly doesn't have that.

I'd argue that Disney probably has more value to their service. They own 70% of people's favorite childhood movies, TV shows, etc. at this point. And that's probably going to be especially important moving into the next year or so, since new productions will be grinding to a halt thanks to the writer and actor's strikes.

The real question, long-term, is whether they're pricing fairly for that strike, since there's not even a lot of hype in the shows they're currently producing. I personally gave up around...Hawkeye? Disney still makes megabucks, but how much of it is people actually wanting to see supporting character #43 from Star Wars getting their own movie, and how much of it is just people wanting to see something?

kuma991 wrote:
Why are we comparing this to Netflix? Is there new content on Disney at all? Like, I'll be fine pirating the two ongoing shows I watch, thank you.

I just watched a Ryan George Pitch Meeting about Secret Invasion, which is pretty much how I keep up with the MCU anymore, but that apparently released sometime recently. And did very poorly.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:04 am Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:
Why are we comparing this to Netflix? Is there new content on Disney at all? Like, I'll be fine pirating the two ongoing shows I watch, thank you.

Honestly this is what I do now I cancelled my Netflix and Hulu about a year ago so I just pirate any anime they get.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:19 am Reply with quote
So, I guess this is their way of ensuring people subscribe to that triple deal of theirs. “It makes more sense to bundle everything together.”
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:51 am Reply with quote
I was ok with Netflix cracking down on password sharing, it makes reasonable business sense. Unfortunately, they haven't made it easy for people who travel a lot for work. However, Netflix raised my rates in 2019, 2020 and 2022. This ticked me off, especially since I haven't been thrilled with much of their content in recent years, so I dropped them. HBOmax was kind of pricey, but I considered trying them out until Discovery got their hands on them and started slashing projects and announcing their intention of doing cheap reality TV garbage. Yes, way to damage a premium brand, so I skipped them.

I've had Disney+ for maybe 3 years now? I'm kind of burnt out of the Marvel and Star Wars stuff and there isn't a heck of a lot left over that's interesting to me. Unlike Netflix they don't have much in the way of variety. When my sub is up in January I plan to drop them too. I had AppleTV for about a year, they have a few good things but just not enough content. The only thing I have left is Amazon Prime, which is 90% garbage but I have it mostly for the shipping.

I've got a backlog of live action Blu-rays and Anime, a backlog of books and a Steam library, so I've got plenty of media to keep me occupied in my free time. Oh, I also have a crunchyroll sub that I'll probably drop at some point too. I think I'll just take a break from all streaming services with the new year, because content and prices are not doing it for me. You can bet the ad tiers will at some point become as abusive as normal TV, because they'll want to squeeze more revenue out of it. I signed up for streaming to get away from Ads, not to be abused by them and high prices. Oh, and for people that say they'll just sign up for a month and binge everything on these services that will go away too. They'll just do minimum subscription periods of like 3 month or 6 month. Yeah, I think unfortunately piracy will make a comeback.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
This isn't going to make you a profit Disney. Your L of a streaming service won't be saved by doing this.

I'd hate to disagree, but people signed up for Netflix when they started restricting password sharing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
The password thing is no surprise. Netflix did it, and it worked for them. As vocal as people were about it, the numbers told a different story, so Disney is going to do that too.

Raising the rates is the more concerning thing. It's the same cycle of squeezing the existing customers when new ones aren't coming in. Unfortunately, even if Disney is aware that the streaming market might be at its saturation point, it also knows that investors are never satisfied with the idea that the company might be getting as much as it can already.

The binge and drop method will work for people with willpower enough to wait, but Disney, in particular, releases shows on a weekly schedule, almost certainly as a way to get people not to do that. I could see them eventually doing away with monthly subscriptions and making it so you have to sign up for something like 3 months at a time.

Oddly enough, Netflix's ad tier has improved from where it started. One screen became two, and 720p became 1080p. I'm sure they looked at what they were making from it and decided that those changes cost them little-to-nothing, but it at least looks good on the customer end.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Now that Guardians vol 3 is out and Secret Invasion was a dud, I can safely take a break from D+ til I can afford to again. The mulitlingual option was selling point for me because I have friends who speak other languages, and Japanese for so much of it has been fun as a seiyuu fan due to the interwoven nature of voiceover work in Japan.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
No surprise here. Anyone who is a fan of the Disney parks knows that price increases are a yearly occurrence. Wouldn't surprise me if they use the same model with Disney+ until people start dropping it.

As far as new shows go I am looking forward to the reboot of the 90s X-Men cartoon.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Considering the net loss they suffered throughout these last few years, especially this year.

Disney raising the prices again this year in the long run will only make it worse. As more users would unsubscribe, they would be lucky that the decrease of subscribers vs increase pay from remaining subscribers would still break even over each other.

They really need to come up with a better business model cause this might not be the best direction they are going.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Currently cancelled everything but Crunchy and Amazon (because it comes with the shipping). The removal of sharing and current pricing doesn't feel worthwhile to stay subscribed. I won't be pirating their content, but I'll be letting it accumulate for a year or so then subbing for a month. Their rates aren't worth maintaining a sub only for myself.

The part I find most annoying is that everyone is increasing the cost of their ad free tier. Netflix is scrapping their single stream, ad free sub entirely. Why the fudge do I want to pay for multiple streams for myself? I'm assuming that ad revenue makes them so much money that the cheaper ad free plans make less from the sub premium than the ad money.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:17 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
People saying this is a bad move, Netflix’s profits went UP after restricting password sharing.
Licensing existing series and creating original ones costs an unimaginable amount, not including the running costs like building space, rental fees, employee costs, server costs, translation, app development, promotion, etc etc.
With rising costs of like, everything, I’m not surprised, and not put off by the slight price hike/password sharing stop.

You mean the numbers they're suspiciously vague and restrictive about which is part of the reason an industry-wide strike has happened? Netflix won't even release its view counts for shows, whether finished, canceled, or ongoing. This whole thing with a lot of streaming services just reeks of a house of cards
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Disney doesn't feel like a 'need' like Netflix does. I'd likely only subscribe when there's something new to watch and since it doesn't binge, it's likely I'll be waiting til the show is done.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing to back this up but I would not be surprised if some of these Disney+ and Hulu financial woes are a result of Disney spending over $70 billion to buy most of 21CF.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3