• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ya Boy Kongming!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:28 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Kongming aside, is this show doing an accurate depiction of Tokyo night club party life and indie artists trying to get their big break?
For the nightlife, it's totally done a job - though not exactly the whole Tokyo, but Shibuya style in general.

Ironically, that's why they went for underground indie rap right now with Kabetaijin - considering Shibuya is one of the two main cradles for Japanese hip-hop and rap scene, and pretty known for that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:26 am Reply with quote
Kabetaijin is an interesting name for this character. Taijin is a fat man or giant, neither of which he is, and kabe is a wall or rampart, which he's raised in self-defense against the world. But as a rapper name, it sounds like he's claiming he's the big obstacle you need to overcome if you want to hit the top. Even though it's just his actual name, Taijin Kabe. I also like that Sekitoba seems to be both a reference to Lu Bu's famous horse, Red Hare, and an oblique nod to Eminem's Rabbit persona from Eight Mile (plus little bits in Kabe's story that reminded me of the opening lines of "Lose Yourself" and mom's spaghetti Smile).
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
No idea if this is a guerrilla marketing campaign or just someone promoting their favorite anime, but there is an EIKO Instragram page (@eiko_sound).
Regalli

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My respect to the translation and subtitling keeping the raps rhyming in English (I’d have to go back and check if any of the songs are, too) - always a tricky prospect with musical translations. Also, the end credits evolving to add Kabe’s a nice touch. Can’t wait to see him and Eiko interact.
beansy99

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Cute, the second beat in the freestyle battle sounded familiar to me, and when at the end of it Sekitoba said "Classic", that's when it hit me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6MYyMJm3dM

Surely not a coincidence!
DiscordMod

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:52 pm Reply with quote
beansy99 wrote:
Cute, the second beat in the freestyle battle sounded familiar to me, and when at the end of it Sekitoba said "Classic", that's when it hit me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6MYyMJm3dM

Surely not a coincidence!

That's so cool!
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7

I had my suspicions regarding Steve Kid upon introduction being a reference to Steve Aoki but when they cut to him throwing the cake, that pretty much sealed it and I was laughing the entire way through.

I'm surprised they already added Nanami's voice to the ending theme. Granted they did the same with Kabetaijin before he even joined but I thought we'd get at least one more episode of just (singer) EIKO and Kabetaijin.

The single is set to release at the end of this month and I'm just waiting eagerly to pick it up.

Last edited by Zerreth on Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Japanese puns...
I don't get Kid's rapid fire word association, but I guess it's just something lost in translation
I can't tell if there's anything deeper than just that キッド, かいとう , and かくとう sound vaguely similar
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Japanese puns...
I don't get Kid's rapid fire word association, but I guess it's just something lost in translation
I can't tell if there's anything deeper than just that キッド, かいとう , and かくとう sound vaguely similar

かいとう is likely a reference to Kaito Kid from Detective Conan. That was what I thought of first, at least. I'd guess the third one is also a cultural reference.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:48 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Japanese puns...

かいとう is likely a reference to Kaito Kid from Detective Conan. That was what I thought of first, at least. I'd guess the third one is also a cultural reference.

Ah. I'm just being thick. That's a clear Conan reference, just went over my head as I don't watch the series. And I'd bet "Kakutou Kid" is meant to be "Legally Distinct Karate Kid". I feel like at this point he could have said "Which kid? Billy, the?" and I wouldn't have gotten it. Laughing
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:45 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed how the opening recap tied last week to Liu Bei's courtship of legendary tomboy princess Sun Ren of Wu (a.k.a Sun Shangxiang, a.k.a. my main in the earlier Dynasty Warriors games). Nanmin is Eiko's wife. The narrator said so.

Wu, of course, was one of the other eponymous "Three Kingdoms," and, spoilers for ancient Chinese history, the marriage didn't last. It's a pretty fun setup for the classic "my new friend is my rival" trope.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
I'm surprised they already added Nanami's voice to the ending theme. Granted they did the same with Kabetaijin before he even joined but I thought we'd get at least one more episode of just (singer) EIKO and Kabetaijin.

I've enjoyed watching them add the new characters to the ED and its soundtrack over time. Just more attention to detail from P.A. Works.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I enjoyed how the opening recap tied last week to Liu Bei's courtship of legendary tomboy princess Sun Ren of Wu (a.k.a Sun Shangxiang, a.k.a. my main in the earlier Dynasty Warriors games). Nanmin is Eiko's wife. The narrator said so.

Wu, of course, was one of the other eponymous "Three Kingdoms," and, spoilers for ancient Chinese history, the marriage didn't last. It's a pretty fun setup for the classic "my new friend is my rival" trope.

Here's hoping Kongming can orchestrate a defection and subvert history. Nanmin clearly isn't enjoying her current gig (Eiko is singing on street corners to grow, for Nanmin it seems to be closer to an act of rebellion), and she looks pretty embedded in Team EIKO in the end credits... though as they change basically every weak that could obviously be a temporary thing.
Regalli

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I’m also hoping Nanami defects to stay with her girlfriend. She’s been in the OP all along, too, including the shot where she’s dancing along with the other main castmates (Kongming and Eiko, Kabe, the BB Lounge Owner, and Nanami at the far right end.)

Of course, she probably won’t until AFTER a dramatic and angsty reveal and probably them directly competing with each other, but I think there’s hope for a historical subversion. Though admittedly, it may well only be in season two.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:49 pm Reply with quote
At this point, Eiko doesn't even ask, "What are you wearing?!" Also lol at Kongming scuttling away from the underpass with his two little branches of "camouflage."

I know there are monetary considerations, but I really hope Eiko writes a new song pretty soon. The one she keeps singing is just a cover and isn't even hers. I didn't care for it the first time I heard it, and I'm really sick of it now. It also doesn't help that the English lyrics don't scan with the meter of the music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4