• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: FF7 Remake Director: Tifa's Redesign Was Necessary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
So, where was this "Ethics Department" when The 3rd Birthday and all its sexualized violence happened? Just...yech.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna sit back and let it sink in that at some point a meeting was held likely by an all-male committee at a multi-million dollar company about the moral implications of a two-decade old, fictional female character's breast size.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The Tifa redesign was better than what I expected but I think it was related to the recent censorship regulations from Sony. Not being able to release the FF7 remake on the PS4 would have cost Square Enix a lot of money. The changes were not about the ESRB or about supposed ethical requirements but was simply a monetary decision to make sure that the FF7 remake would be on the PS4.

No it wasn't. They changed her design forever ago. She looks basically like she does in Advent Children. Her unrealistically large breasts just never made sense for a fighter of her style. They'd do nothing but get in the way, for one thing. Very rare for a natural size to be like that. They made her more realistic and it works. It wasn't Sony
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Big breasted women are human beings too ya know...

Yes, and they sure as hell don't like she did in the PS1 days.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I think that Tifa's new design looks great, but mentioning that they have an ethics department makes me wonder if Square is really that worried about the reception that the remake may get when it comes out. I personally never thought that Tifa's design was that much "controversial" compared with other female characters from arround the same time like Morrigan, Felicia and even Lara Croft.
Even though I don't have a PS4 I'm still curious to see if this remake is faithful to the original or if they will try to expand the world and reimagining things like Capcom did with RE2.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Realism and video games in the same sentence, yeah you can throw that thinly veiled argument in the trash where it belongs lol. The only games that need to be realistic are simulators and most of those are mind-numbingly boring as far as i'm concerned. Final Fantasy is pure escapism the clues in the name (Fantasy).

I echo the sentiments of others though as I honestly don't care what bra size Tifa sports. Never played the original FFVII so my rose-tinted glasses aren't gonna get shattered by this adjustment. Just wish developers stopped using the excuse of realism 99% of the time because they don't want to deal with the moral whiners when they start making noise.

Anyone legitimately asking for realism needs to adjust their arbitrary standards because they obviously don't take the real world into account anyway. It's a shocking truth but people do in fact come in all different shapes and sizes. Breasts actually can and do range from A-cup up to and beyond o'natural H & J-cup. So they might want to open their eyes a bit and stop discriminating based on a narrow view of what body proportions are and aren't acceptable.

The whole argument's bunk anyway though, as soon as PC modders get their hands on this game Tifa's oppai are going to be any size you want. When developers don't make the games the way you'd like them to be, you can guarantee some modder's gonnal fix it for ya. Just look at Skyrim for a good example.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
i could care less about the size of a video game character's chest...but now that 22 years has past the original tifa design is unethical apparently.

22 years is a very long time in terms of pop culture. 22 years ago video games were a niche hobby and not the entertainment pillar they are today where they rival Hollywood. 22 years ago FF7's localization liberally used words like "retarded" that no doubt will be changed in the new game's localization given the manufactured outrage sites like Kotaku have tried to make with that word.

That being said, given the content in other Square Enix games like Dragon Quest, other Final Fantasies, Star Ocean, and the upcoming Seiken Densetsu 3 remake, I find it a bit hard to believe it's truly just about CERO and ESRB ratings as those avoided an M rating just fine. If you look beyond Square Enix at the industry as a whole, you will find a lot more titles. Unless you're going for full on sexual content like Dead or Alive or Senran Kangura, you don't need an M rating to have big breasts, and I don't think anbody was asking for Tifa to be in a string bikini doing jumping jacks every time she's on screen. They just wanted the character they grew up with. And like it or not, Tifa is one of the most iconic women in video games partially because of her appearance. I don't think it's reducing her to just boobs, it's embracing everything about her, and for people to deny her sexual impact on gaming back when FF7 first released and why she stood out is just trying to deny history.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I always figured the original design was due to polygons and technological limitations. So she looks pretty much how I imagined she would look on newer consoles. Don't really see a significant difference between her Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Kingdom Hearts models either.

Discussions around what constitutes valid and invalid representation will always vary. And fans can be skeptical about decisions made behind closed doors. Especially when you are marketing their nostalgia. It's a very minor form of separation anxiety. They need to know that their baby is in good hands. Razz

Last edited by stilldemented on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
i could care less about the size of a video game character's chest...but now that 22 years has past the original tifa design is unethical apparently.

22 years is a very long time in terms of pop culture. 22 years ago video games were a niche hobby and not the entertainment pillar they are today where they rival Hollywood. 22 years ago FF7's localization liberally used words like "retarded" that no doubt will be changed in the new game's localization given the manufactured outrage sites like Kotaku have tried to make with that word.

That being said, given the content in other Square Enix games like Dragon Quest, other Final Fantasies, Star Ocean, and the upcoming Seiken Densetsu 3 remake, I find it a bit hard to believe it's truly just about CERO and ESRB ratings as those avoided an M rating just fine. If you look beyond Square Enix at the industry as a whole, you will find a lot more titles. Unless you're going for full on sexual content like Dead or Alive or Senran Kangura, you don't need an M rating to have big breasts, and I don't think anbody was asking for Tifa to be in a string bikini doing jumping jacks every time she's on screen. They just wanted the character they grew up with. And like it or not, Tifa is one of the most iconic women in video games partially because of her appearance. I don't think it's reducing her to just boobs, it's embracing everything about her, and for people to deny her sexual impact on gaming back when FF7 first released and why she stood out is just trying to deny history.

true enough, but square enix using the ethics argument seems odd...It might of looked unrealistic with the updated graphics and that would warrant the change, but saying its because its unethical...is questionable, theres alot more games released nowadays that have far more unethical things in em......how about being able too date your teacher in Persona 5 Razz
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's not about ethics, as the article states. The implication is that if her breasts weren't restricted they'd have to up the user rating from Teen to Mature. The Ethics Committee's job is to evaluate the content so that it stays within the guidelines for the rating they want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:51 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of more modest chest sizes and black tank tops, I approve of this change.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
"Ethics" fit more with cloud cross-dressing and the whole Honey Bee, which I expect to be drastically altered in some ways. I don't see some of the implied scenes of the original flying today where everything is a lot more PC.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
It's not about ethics, as the article states. The implication is that if her breasts weren't restricted they'd have to up the user rating from Teen to Mature. The Ethics Committee's job is to evaluate the content so that it stays within the guidelines for the rating they want.

Just going to bold those words for you in hopes the irony can sink in even just a little.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't pick the committee's name. If it were up to me it's be called a "rating compliance board" but I don't get to make that decision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I didn't pick the committee's name. If it were up to me it's be called a "rating compliance board" but I don't get to make that decision.

it would be a heck of alot less confusing at least...as it stands now this ethics committee will have their hands full dealing with all the "unethical" amounts of blood and violence that was rampant in the original ff7 so they can keep this T rating...spoiler[dont think that midgar zolom scene or golden saucer massacre gonna fly]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5