• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Wildly Impractical Giant Robot Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The more Impractical the better, if your mech is not Impractical, then you've done something wrong.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
For the poll results, should Streets of Rage really be on the list? I suppose it is a fighting game in that you're fighting against gangs of people, but it's generally classified as a "beat 'em up", as in the same genre of game as Double Dragon and Final Fight. Plus, it got two official sequels, although several other games on the list also got sequels including ones that came out within the last half-decade or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Technically, EVERY giant robot in anime, or at least most of them, would be impractical to a degree. Legs, for instance, are essentially just very large mobility gear, their only advantage over wheels being highly uneven terrain. There is a reason why real-world militaries have not even come close to going in the humanoid direction, and when they're based on animals, they barely resemble that animal: Because it just isn't necessary...
I think Lynzee's choice of title was unfortunate as I think "outlandish" would have been better. You are right on the mark, giant fighting robots are wildly impractical for a number of reasons. The robots are pictured between 200'-1000' tall and even with a minimal frame (which would crumple if pushed on) the weight would be in the 100's of tons and would undoubtedly require a high output nuclear reactor to move at all. At least Pacific Rim was sort of right in that regard.

For the new survey, I think The Big O deserves a redo if only to straighten out the plot and setting and make a good coherent story. There were a lot of good concepts that got badly handled.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Cyber Formula.

Glad to see Star Driver make the list. Such a good series.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
For Sunrise sequels, I'll go with Daily Lives of High School Boys. While it isn't my most favorite, most of the others had enough finality or were long enough ago that a sequel wouldn't be that plausible.

[quote="Hiroki not Takuya"]
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The robots [...]would undoubtedly require a high output nuclear reactor to move at all. At least Pacific Rim was sort of right in that regard.

IIRC mechs in the Gundam Universe are nuclear powered, albeit with more compact reactors than we use.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Nobody better touch Cowboy Bebop. It's perfect, and making a sequel will likely do to the IP what the sequel and OVA's did to Darker than Black, which is ruin it. Really, the only Sunrise IP that needs a sequel is Outlaw Star. The show was one of those gems that checked every box a 90's kid, like myself, was looking for in a cartoon. It had action, suspense, drama, sci-fi, great characters, cool machines, and a unique world (or in this case universe) to get lost in. The show was made to have a sequel, and we almost got it if not for staff and productions issues, and the poor decisions made by the production committee. (What the hell were they thinking making Angel Links?) Outlaw Star has all the ingredients necessary to make a successful reboot or sequel, and this series is long overdue to get it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Nobody better touch Cowboy Bebop. It's perfect,

Minus never really explaining Spike's past in detail, Julia being a shoot the shaggy dog story, and Jet and Fey effectively sitting back while Spike goes off to settle his feud with Vicious for the final time (ambiguously).

Cyberphobe wrote:
The show was made to have a sequel,

They find the galactic ley line don't know where they'd go from there.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Sweeden's Gundam was based on Sailor Moon. What the hell does Sailor Moon have to do with Sweeden? I don't care that they named it after Alfred Nobel.

I imagine it's because the pilot was an upbeat female character and they wanted to keep the whole idea reflected in the design of the Gundam.

Cyberphobe wrote:
(What the hell were they thinking making Angel Links?)

I think Angel Links was a good idea personally. It attempted to expand on something mentioned only by name in Outlaw Star and link the two characters who worked for that group (in addition to slotting in some cameos and making more use of grappler ships). Of course, the way Angel Links was originally portrayed in Outlaw Star made it more akin to a space police or military force, as the Angel Links art book sketches show (along with some designs for crew members who never got used), but it ended up being a space pirate-fighting corporation that took jobs for free (and the overall atmosphere among the crew was a bit more lighthearted rather than everyone being serious and by the book as Outlaw Star showed them).
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Cowboy Bebop, though if I were able to I would've also picked Witch Hunter Robin. The main thing I'd want to see explored with more Cowboy Bebop material is really just how Jet, Faye, and Ed react to Spike's death, and what they do with themselves at (and after) that point. We get closure for Edward, but not for Faye and Jet, which is something I've always wanted. I think this is something that could be explored satisfactorily in a short OVA series (maybe 1-3 normal-length episodes, depending on what, specifically, the creators would want to do with it).

In the case of Witch Hunter Robin, I think there's a lot of room for a sequel, given how it ends plot-wise and where it left off with the ideas it was exploring. Also, I would absolutely LOVE more songs sung by Bana. WHR's OP and ED have been some of my favorite songs since I first watched the show.

pajmo9 wrote:
It would be really cool to have more Witch Hunter Robin as well. That show would also make a pretty good live action adaption. Unfortunately I think I'm the only one that actually liked or even remembers that show. Laughing

I also think Witch Hunter Robin would be a good fit for live-action. It was my favorite show as a teenager, so even though I don't like it as much now as I used to, I still have fond memories of watching it and feelings towards it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Gold Lightan on this list makes it trash.

Also, how dare you blaspheme the best part of Tenchi in Tokyo Wink the music is probably second but I have weird taste

/Also I had a dream once where I summoned the Ryo-Ohki mech like it was one of the G-Gundams so there's that, too
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I suppose one can argue that Dann of Thursday from Gun X Sword would be impractical on account of not having any ranged attacks.
timfnj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
...Tiger+Bunny,Outlaw Star(though KillJoys filed the serial numbers off),+ a true remake of Brave Raideen (I try to forget that CGI mess). It would be nice if they could animate that manga that combined the Romance Trio and Raideen...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
For Sunrise sequels, I'll go with Daily Lives of High School Boys.

That's an adaptation though, right?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
For Sunrise sequels, I'll go with Daily Lives of High School Boys.

That's an adaptation though, right?

Ah. Didn't notice the original part. Well I didn't add the choice.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Eva Unit 01 would also work since you need a whiny 14-year-old for it to really work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3