• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Partners With NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan to Co-Develop Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
While on the surface "international appeal.", or American appeal sounds good. The whole reason most people got into the medium was because it was completely different from anything else you could see. I remember a Go Nagi interview I once read where he says his stories are aimed solely at a Japanese audience, yet he is still popular overseas, especially in parts of the middle east.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait and see, but they were involved in production of Gochiusa so it shouldn't be too bad.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I understand why the phrase "international appeal" can be concerning. I'm even a bit cautious towards the future project(s). However, that doesn't mean they'll throw away all the appeal of anime for certain in them.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Space Dandy was an anime created to appeal to a more Western audience. It even aired in the US before Japan. Look at Space Dandy and tell me that it doesn't have many of the eccentricities we've come to know and love from anime.

Of course, the west isn't the entire world, but I just wanted to throw out this example.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'd love to see an anime adaptation of its fellow fantasy series the Wheel of Time... pretty much the only medium that could do it right, honestly. Blood, guts, nudity, harems, a magical girls school that's chock full of yuri, the Seanchan are armored like samurais, there's a character based on the Monkey King... I think the only thing missing are giant robots.

Though I still think there was one in there at some point. It had everything else...

Whoa, really? My dad's been trying to get me to read those books for years. Your description makes it sound very intriguing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Don't see the problem if they execute it right. More anime genres or series many in the West to see again would be the ideal appeal. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they cut down on fan service for certain things(like children) or otakuness stuff that doesn't need to be there(having to do things to sell products that undermines the show). I can see the worry though, since the track record for more appeal isn't too high.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates.

I'm going to miss both japanese centric shows like Uchouten Kazoku and quirky over the line stuff like Eromanga Sensei. Looks like anime is going on it's way to become another exploited medium aimed at "global" appeal while sacrificing everything else, which is sad. But I guess the whole bunch of people being offended by certain stuff or not willing to learn about other cultures will celebrate death of "japanese" anime with open hands.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates. I don't want it to have more 'international appeal,' because 'international appeal' generally equates to 'appeals to Americans/Western Europeans,' which I'm not.
Yeah, I always think Japan = perverts when I want to watch anime. Rolling Eyes
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Nothing in the show was censored in the traditonal sense like how it happens with Digimon, YuGiOh and Pokemon in that regard. Otherwise, Julie's outfit would've gotten taken to the censor board, midrift and all.

There were definately scenes cut from the American broadcast. Primarily sexual and violent ones. I compared them myself. Julie's outfit may have gone unchanged , but her various sexy poses and dialog were. Julie herself was an entirely different character in the dub. In the original she was an American stereotype, complete with being overly promiscuous like American women are often portrayed and broken Engrish/Japanese. The dub changed her last name from Hayward to Makimoto and made her a normal Japanese character funnily enough.

If it was a true co-production, the Japanese side got a less sterilized version at anyrate. Hopefully any anime made with 'western appeal' keep in mind shows like SAO, Fairy Tail, Konosuba, and Izetta did extremely well here.

-Stuart Smith
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I have been saying for years that someday an American studio was going to assert itself into the anime making industry and start challenging the anime norms. If this is it, then the prediction came true earlier than I thought. I figured it would be more likely that an American studio would take over a functional outlet, not worm it's way in via purchase of old failed companies and team up with an online streaming service. However, in retrospect I guess it makes sense as the path of least resistance. I don't care if they use the term "international appeal" or any similar term. What I want is great stories told in the anime style. If NBCUniversal can give that to us, more power to them. Maybe it will shake some of the Japanese studios out of their complacency, sameness and recycled pandering.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I sincerely doubt this is going to be the end of fanservice in anime as we know it and I seriously doubt Crunchyroll is going to suddenly start making anime based on popular big name American blockbuster franchises. At most I think this probably means Crunchyroll will get on the committee boards and get first licensing dibs for shows they think will be popular in the U.S. like Funimation did with Dimension W and that didn't eradicate all fanservice in anime or whatever. In any case, this has nothing to do with Japan wanting to avoid offending people or to be more PC or whatever. This si a pure business decision for Crunchyroll to survive in the era of Anime Strike. As bidding wars start to heat up more between anime streaming services, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more and more partnership deals like this for streaming services to get first dibs on popular shows. Crunchyroll is an international business so of course they're going to co-produce shows with "international appeal" but no, this is not the end of fanservice in anime. And there's always been anime that has been made to appeal to everyone and not just Japanese otaku and weeaboos since the days of Astro Boy when Tezuka was inspired by Disney to make the big eyes small mouth style.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it will be the end of fanservice in anime. NBC Universal isn't stupid. They will make money wherever they can, however they can, and there is a huge audience for fanservice. What it probably will mean is less lazy fanservice or fanservice that is only targeted at a tiny segment of the audience. American tv and movies have plenty of fanservice, including sexual stuff. It's just that American studios have become more adept at mastering presentation of their fanservice to keep the appeal broad, which ultimately means more $$$$.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates. I don't want it to have more 'international appeal,' because 'international appeal' generally equates to 'appeals to Americans/Western Europeans,' which I'm not. For example, I never did like Avatar, Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Castlevania. Like there aren't enough US movies, TV shows and cartoons flooding the TV, the web and our stores as is. I don't want the Japanese artists' efforts to go into making even more stuff for the western market just because it pays better. But then again, I suppose it's better for the artists themselves, so that's just my selfishness talking.

Wait... do you think that suddenly ALL anime will be "Americanized"? Did we read the same article? Crunchyroll is partnering with 1 (one) company. That company doesn't own the entire anime market. Typically Japanese anime will still be made, the anime market is still mostly domestic and otaku are still their target audience. So what's the harm in having some more "Westernized" shows? Some shows that don't pander to otaku? What's so wrong with variety? I think this will be great overall - you'll still get your usual fanservice and weird stuff and other people will get stuff that has "international appeal". Idk about you but I'm not expecting more than one of those "Westernized" productions every season. So what's the harm? It's the best way to diversify the industry. Why is that so bad?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Its only bad if, deep down, they are worried that the "westernized" stuff will be qualitatively better. Thus, it will outsell the non-westernized stuff and more studios will then jump on that bandwagon. That is the only possible way this could be "bad" for people who want everything in anime to stay exactly the same as it is now, for all time. Personally I don't think that will happen. I just think the quality of the Japanese productions will go up due to the American competition. But that's me.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
"Crunchyroll will be co-producing anime with international appeal" is just too broad of a statement to make any qualitative judgments about what it entails until we learn more information about it. All we can say is this is not going to be the end of fanservice anime or did we all forget about Anime Strike?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I really wish Crunchyroll would focus more on getting a better (non Flash) website, more powerful servers so their site doesn't crash every weekend, and actually getting licenses now that Amazon is taking all of the popular series instead of making a con, and now, this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4