• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Blogger on Trial for Playing Pokémon Go in Church

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So he was a jackass disturbing the peace, not some innocent Pokémon Go player. Still think the sentence is harsh for the crime of disturbing the peace.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
This is Putin's Russia. It's been this way for years. Guys an idiot. When in Rome do as the Romans, or its the gladiatorial pits for you. Run away from the lions.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
So he was a jackass disturbing the peace, not some innocent Pokémon Go player. Still think the sentence is harsh for the crime of disturbing the peace.

Putin has a long-standing alliance with the Russian Orthodox Church which has given his regime legitimacy. That's a reason why Pussy Riot chose to perform in a church before being arrested.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html

Quote:
While tanks and artillery have been Russia’s weapons of choice to project its power into neighboring Ukraine and Georgia, Mr. Putin has also mobilized faith to expand the country’s reach and influence. A fervent foe of homosexuality and any attempt to put individual rights above those of family, community or nation, the Russian Orthodox Church helps project Russia as the natural ally of all those who pine for a more secure, illiberal world free from the tradition-crushing rush of globalization, multiculturalism and women’s and gay rights.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Weird. You'd think if things are so extreme in Russia, people would know better than to mess around like this.

And that's the problem, people these days lack any common sense, respect, consideration, forward thinking, and law abiding. The dude did it on purpose to piss people off and show it on YT - and now the state is making an example out of him. He had it coming, kinda wish some YouTubers in the West could hear about this and stop doing some stupid things you see on YT just for the views.

If you live in a country, respect their laws. If you would do a similar thing in a more religiously extreme country, you would get publicly executed, yes, even in today's age. Sure, the punishment is harsh, but he's the scapegoat to prevent other idiots from doing similar things.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Weird. You'd think if things are so extreme in Russia, people would know better than to mess around like this.

And that's the problem, people these days lack any common sense, respect, consideration, forward thinking, and law abiding. The dude did it on purpose to piss people off and show it on YT - and now the state is making an example out of him. He had it coming, kinda wish some YouTubers in the West could hear about this and stop doing some stupid things you see on YT just for the views.

If you live in a country, respect their laws. If you would do a similar thing in a more religiously extreme country, you would get publicly executed, yes, even in today's age. Sure, the punishment is harsh, but he's the scapegoat to prevent other idiots from doing similar things.

So, it doesn't matter if the laws are unjust, you should just keep your mouth shut, your head in the dirt, and be obedient. Got it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

So, it doesn't matter if the laws are unjust, you should just keep your mouth shut, your head in the dirt, and be obedient. Got it.

That is not the point. He wasn't protesting anything. He simply was doing something stupid, that he should have known could get him in trouble with the authorities. Putin has been in power for years, this should be a no brainer for Russian citizens, and really anyone else.

And you are right, that is some real jail time there, for something so small of a slight. But common sense should have told that this was not a good idea.

And if he was actually protesting, then he should have been fully aware of the price he might have to pay, and fully embrace that as part of his protest.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
I'm not religious. At all. I could rant about how terrible it is... but I won't. Why? Because there's a time and place for everything.
This is neither the time nor the place, and neither was then and there with this "Youtuber." Lack of common sense seems to be all the rage with these Youtubers.
Now, their viewers... it takes a special kind of dumb to glorify nonsensical behavior. I'll just leave it at that.

I'd definitely agree with you that what Sokolovsky did was incredibly tactless, but I have to wonder if you used the phrase "there's a time and place for everything" on purpose, considering it's one of the most well-known quotes from Professor Oak.

GATSU wrote:
I'm sorta on his side, but at the same time, I kinda wish they did the same thing to people who text in theaters.... Rolling Eyes

Well, movie theaters already tell you to turn off your phones at every screening, and I have seen ushers remove people who text too much.

Ambimunch wrote:

Well, PewDiePie is currently in a bunch of trouble over some anti-Semitic remarks and being incredibly defensive over it.

varmintx wrote:

While I get the sarcasm in that statement, there are some countries where this is expected of the mainstream, and the majority of people genuinely believe that is the proper way to behave. A lot of east Asian countries are like this, for instance, which is why there wasn't much Asian-American voice during the U.S.'s Civil Rights Era compared to other minority races.

To my knowledge, Russia is not like that though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2