• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Handa-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
His speech to the 2 kittens had me dying. And he's allergic Laughing
Oh Handa-kun, you just can't win.
You're like the anti Parker Lewis.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
This show has been a bit of a weird viewing experience for me. It probably makes me cringe just as many times as it makes me laugh. Handa-kun's delusions of being universally hated may solely exist in his head but the resulting suffering is very real and i can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy more often than not...

I think this is a totally legitimate reaction. I cried a couple times while working on the manga (I letter it for Yen). (as an aside, i can't decide whether lettering gets me more or less emotionally invested in a manga: on the one hand I have all the distracting technical stuff to pay attention to, but on the other I spend so much more time with each page than a typical reader...) Getting this perspective of Handa's earlier years makes some of the stuff going on in Barakamon much more meaningful to me. I'm so glad he eventually finds a place and a group of people he can develop relationships with.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Even though everything came together as predictably as possible, I thought the latter half of episode five was one of the show's funniest segments. By-the-books amnesia stories tend to be most effective when headlined by characters with firmly established personalities.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, I wasn't expecting them to show Dash. I'm pretty sure that he appeared way earlier in the manga, so I had lost my hope. All in all, this episode was a big present to the manga fans, with all those references throughout the entire episode.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Handa's future being surrounded by kids gave me a kick. I found episode 6 (and series in general) to be a lot funnier if you've watched Barakamon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Holy cow, did Tsugumi's dilemma give me flashbacks! In college I lived in a rooming house that had this really disturbed guy, who was kind of how everyone perceives Handa, except without the cool part. Always alone, moody, sometimes trying to fit in, but failing. One day in an effort to make conversation and try to make him feel like less of an outsider, I offered to do a palm-reading - just for fun, as I was openly cribbing from one of those cheap Dell pamphlets they sold at supermarket checkouts.

Should be safe enough, right? They're always written so people will see themselves in everything and feel special, like horoscopes. So, confident that mostly positive things would come up, I forged ahead.

As with Tsugumi's reading, every new line turned out to be something worse than the one before it, like "Well, this line shows that you have a quick temper...and here it says you are susceptible to health or emotional problems...um, ok, um...here, this line means...struggles, depression, disappointments... Hey this doesn't really mean anything you know." Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I quit before I found a line that said he'd become a serial killer. (as it turned out, the police did end up taking him away after he broke into the managers' apartment in the middle of the night to rant at them for some paranoid transgression)

So this episode definitely hit home! Very Happy Also, I finally learned where that hideous dog in the OP came from. As for Kawafuji, he's one sadistic bastard who I'd really like to see get some instant karma. I didn't much like him in Barakamon, but now I'm starting to really hate him.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Not only is Kawafuji garbage, it's basically impossible to find any segment he's in even remotely funny, because he's so gross and cringeworthy. Handa screwing himself over inadvertently because of a misunderstanding? Funny. Handa being exploited by a sadistic asshole who thinks it's amusing to manipulate and bully him in the name of lulz? Awful.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It tries too hard to make the audience laugh at Handa's reason for retaking the test, and the joke wears out its welcome long before it wraps up. ... Handa's private fury at forgetting to write his name a second time is a nice touch.

I'm confused, did you like the joke or not? If it was worn out before the end, how is revisiting it a nice touch?

At any rate, I loved that whole segment, but the best part of it and the episode was the
カリカリカリ flowing out from everyone's pens like rivers, in their own personal fonts and colors. And the teacher wondering what the hell was going on. Very Happy

Hirayama's Watamote vibe was pretty good too.
Peebs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
This show is such a huge hit or miss for me. The first segment was okay, not necessarily LOL. I think the grin on my face was more out of pain than mirth.

The second segment killed it. Was Hirayama an adult? A student? I prayed and prayed it was a student. I've seen students depicted in anime/manga as the ones in charge of a school library. I'm not sure if the manga makes the distinction clearer, but by the end she looked like an adult. And that makes her obsession and romantic focus on Handa so wrong. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet, much less the reviewer.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have you been reading the Watamote manga, by any chance? Not sure if you're alluding to Tomoko or spoiler[Komiyama] since they both sort of fit..

Peebs wrote:
Was Hirayama an adult? A student? I prayed and prayed it was a student. I've seen students depicted in anime/manga as the ones in charge of a school library. I'm not sure if the manga makes the distinction clearer, but by the end she looked like an adult. And that makes her obsession and romantic focus on Handa so wrong. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet, much less the reviewer.
Definitely a student:

1. Her shirt and skirt are the same style as the school uniform, even if the skirt is noticeably longer than those of the other girls.
2. She mentions at the start of the segment that she only does library duty during lunch breaks and after classes.
3. The members of the Handa Force (and, in one line, Handa himself) talk to her like to a peer rather than an adult: using "kimi" as the second person pronoun, dropping the polite desu/masu, etc. Might not be out of character for Tsutsui to talk to an adult that way, but it would be for the others. Plus, Kondō would have likely called her out on crushing on a student if she were an actual staff member.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have you been reading the Watamote manga, by any chance?

Nope. I'm not even sure I finished the anime. Too painful to watch, and I heard it got even worse in the manga. Smile
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have you been reading the Watamote manga, by any chance?

Nope. I'm not even sure I finished the anime. Too painful to watch, and I heard it got even worse in the manga. Smile
I can't recall anything significantly more cringeworthy than what ended up adapted in the anime, but that could be a case of repressed memories on my part Very Happy At least Tomoko's situation does get marginally better, and some of the recent chapters contain a lot more jokes at the expense of characters other than her - including a girl who starts out in a situation very similar to that of Hirayama.
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:17 am Reply with quote
This was my favorite episode. I should feel bad but the everything that happens to Handa has me rolling. I especially loved the power punch followed by "He's sensitive!!"
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Uh... they they skipped the manga club or whatever it was? Oh well, this is now Uncharted territory for me, so I'm quite curious as how its gonna go, and how it will end (I expect the polar opposite of Sakamoto #12).

I liked this episode, though they should've used more the rival school, and the other characters outside Handa Force.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else get a good laugh at the ED this past episode? I love it when studios change up the OP or ED to reflect what happened in the episode, and this one totally caught me off guard!

-Marc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3