• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-09-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Sparkamus Prime wrote:
I wanted to submit Garzey's Wing for last week's question, but didn't get a chance becuase of work. Embarassed I read about this in Buried Garbage and couldn't believe it was as bad as he said it was. I bought it and it is so bad its hilarious (iin the MST3K kind of way). Laughing

My friends and I are constantly quoting some of the ridiculous lines. I believe thus is one time where they stayed too close to the literal translation from Japanese to English. The uninspired voice acting is the worst I have ever heard.

The worst part is that it was created by Tomino and I love Gundam. How this could come from him boggles my mind.

Remember kids "Humans are just human."

Edit - fixed typos

Thank you! I wish that someone had written in about it. I was planning on it as well, but like you, just got way too busy. I think Garzey's Wing is one of the most unintentionally hilarious shows I have ever seen. It is so epically, horribly BAD, that it becomes a masterpiece of failure.

I think the most ridiculous quote has to be this exchange between "Lord Chris" and the fairy chick.

Fairy: "Why don't you just stay here in this world with us?"

Chris: "If you had a convenience store I WOULD live with you... but you don't have any vending machines, either!"

Garzey's Wing truly is a comedy of errors. Laughing
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
I do have a copy of the X movie on DVD, simply BECAUSE it is just that awful. Very Happy My favorite scene is Kamui hugging the head at the end. I could not stop laughing the first time I saw that.

Tenchi in Tokyo was the first Tenchi series I saw the whole way through. I'd seen episodes of the other series scattered here and there, but Tenchi in Tokyo was the first that I caught from beginning to end, and I really liked it. Then I saw the other two series the whole way through and tried to watch Tenchi in Tokyo again and was dismayed at how painful it was. Sad I haven't seen it in years, but I'd be willing to give it another shot...
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
The Evangelion Movie - one of the few times I have ever wanted that hour and a half back of my life from watching anime. The whole thing was just one psychological mess the animators and directors had to have been high to put together and release.

The other one was the X movie - I hadn't read the manga, and the tv series had yet to be created - and I had NO CLUE what was going on. I was so confused by the end of it spoiler[especially when everyone dies] that it almost turned me off watching the tv series. That turned out to be slightly better, but I never finished it. I should see if I can pick up the random DVD here or there...
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If Ben thinks Tenchi in Tokyo is bad, he should stay away from the third Tenchi OVA, because it's even worse, and it's from the guy who actually came up with Tenchi Muyo!

OVA 3 is proof that anime has a sell-by date, too.

Tenchi in Tokyo the makings of a good program (an actual relationship, character deconstruction, fluffy pink mechs) but the rom-com and Monster of the Week tropes overpowered the good bits, and the ending was such a goddamn copout.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
@Anime Club: Here is something that will make you hate your hobby on a number of different levels. First, there's the actual work involved in getting one organized, then the maintenance required to sustain the club all coupled with the fact that nerds tend to be selfish and lazy (hey, I'm just as guilty as the next!).

I ran an anime club for three years in high school and integrated anime programming into a nerd social club at University for a couple years. Brian's response is more towards the humorous, rather than constructive side, and horror stories about anime clubs are a dime a dozen.

To the requester - there are two routes you have: the first is a school-oriented organization and the second is a community-oriented organization. The school-oriented option is the one I have the most experience with. The first thing that you need to get started is to find out what it takes to get started. Find out how you get your club official, what you can do to advertise, etc. Usually a simple request from the principal can clear most of these up. Also, brush up on what can and "cannot" be shown. We were a public high school, so we were fairly restrictive but by knowing what I could and could not get away with, we were able to push the envelope and get right up to that line and not have a club that did nothing but show Pokemon. At the University level, many of those concerns go out the window. Once you know the criteria needed to start a school-oriented club, treat each thing as a checklist and move forward from there. It's pretty cut-and-dry, really.

A community-based club means you're more free in what your programming is but involves a lot more anarchy in set up and could potentially be more turbulent on the maintenance end. The first thing to do would be to find a place you can hold the meetings and then move forward. I cannot imagine too many legal issues but I can understand a place reluctant to rent space to teenagers.

Running an anime club can be an activity both of fullfilment and soul-crushing. I've got some fond memories of my old club days and I've made some good friends through them; but I also remember the hypocritical cries of the clubs' waning as more leadership was needed but no one could or would step up to the plate. If you think it's going to be all fun and games and great times, you've got another thing coming. But, to me, in the end, the stress and frustration were worth it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
The other one was the X movie - I hadn't read the manga, and the tv series had yet to be created - and I had NO CLUE what was going on. I was so confused by the end of it spoiler[especially when everyone dies] that it almost turned me off watching the tv series. That turned out to be slightly better, but I never finished it. I should see if I can pick up the random DVD here or there...

The TV show is brilliant. There are some faults with it, true - a few things they cut from the manga that I wish they'd kept, mainly the relationship between the two mothers, but others that I were glad they changed, plus it has a satisfying ending. And unlike the movie, (vague spoiler) spoiler[quite a few people are actually alive at the end and get decently happy endings.] Give it a try, please.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:23 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Is Lina's over-eating in Slayers meant to be looked at that way? I saw it as the typical "main shonen lead loves to eat a ton without gaining a pound" trope. Just because the lead happens to be a girl in this instance doesn't mean they're implying something else, it's no different from Goku, Luffy, etc.

Ditto. There's no way Lina's gluttony was intended to be "cute" or "moé"... Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They even went on to do a third season called Gluhen, where for reasons I won't get into here the characters went through a total redesign, some of which are the lamest things I've ever seen grace a screen.

I understand that had something to do with the manka-ka who did the art for the first series manga so they had to re-do the character designs.
My god, so much hate for a harem title? Is it any worse than stuff like Love Hina or Yumeria where we have the cute one, the clutsy one, the glasses one, etc? Haruka? Angelique? A harem title just presents a bunch of guys/gals for the viewer's drooling pleasure, the plot is sort of just pieced together as an excuse for the guys/gals. The better titles of course pay a bit more attention to the plot-Love Hina actually has more great moments than not for the manga, though the anime leaves a lot to be desired. Want horrible harem? Go watch Eiken.
Look at Ouran, the parody harem title, & see if you don't recognize bits of Weiss Kruez. Hells bells, I've heard the manga-ka of Yami no Matsuei put her leads in situations for the excuse of drawing them in various clothes.
Want serious story? Go read seinen or josei or some more serious genre. Serious plot isn't the point of harem. On the other hand, you have to love the whole Charlie's Angels orders bit & if you haven't checked them out, the outtakes on Weiss Kruez are almost as good as the ones on Kenshin & Berserk.

As for X/1999, it's gorgeous to look at. You have to expect it's highly abrieviated considering Clamp knocked off around, what-18 volumes & the movie is about 90 minute? Do you really expect 5 minutes per volume to be coherent? It looks beautiful & I have always wondered at the hate people have for it. Just read what there is of the manga.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Now that I see no one else mentioned it, I feel bad about not writing in about Garzey's Wing. I'm always up for a Garzey's Wing rewatch!!!

EDIT: should have read the comments~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
blackwingsblackheart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
@anime club: If your public library has a youth services librarian, another possibility is to talk to him/her about starting a library anime club. There are a number of them in the system I used to work for, Hennepin County Library in Minnesota. A benefit is that the librarian does the organizational work, from scheduling the meeting room to obtaining permissions (and the club survives if you go away to college, get a job, etc). A drawback is that the club might be open to preteens and thus limited to PG-rated shows. Of course, your local library staff may not be familiar with anime, in which case a little outreach will be called for on your part, but there are resources available for them at the ALA website. Good luck!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm an officer in anime club at my university. Yeah, it's far easier in college than it ever could be high school, not to mention more freedom in what you do, and usually, you'll get more equipment for free. It all really depends on your school, I suppose, also how your school allows you to form and what you need. As for what we get, we schedule meetings in the Union for 5 hours and get a built in projector/screen, and two large Eon speakers with a mixer board. That's definitely better than what I imagine a highschool gives you, which is probably relegated to a rolling AV cart.

As for what you play, that's all up to you or your understanding of the law, or personal morals. For things licensed in the US, yes, it's easy to request permission, but it takes too long and it's too limited. So despite DMCA and what not, we mostly play fansubs or stuff rented out from the library (which circumvents all rules about playing licensed stuff). Also, that way, people get to see things that are either brand new or stuff that they've never seen/heard of before.

The club will reflect the leadership. We just flat out don't play Naruto, Bleach, or other endless shounen. We don't even make those shows feel welcomed here. Maybe the closest we get is Gintama. We also don't really tolerate stupidity, shouting out, or just generally being annoying. As for horror studies? Not really any, if anything it's only personal drama and conflicts among some members which we won't allow to manifest in the club. In the end, university clubs will be better than high school by default, because whether you acknowledge/believe it or not, people have matured by the time they get into and through college.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The question about cell collecting took me back. I had a stretch where I was an enthusiastic cell collector, and while there was a great deal of fun to be had, it also made me a) poor and b) a little nuts.

There's something about looking at a cell when you love the character (or sometimes just like), you know what scene it's from, and you realize that "it's one of a kind, and if I don't get it know I'll be forced to live out the rest of my days without it and with the knowledge that someone else has it and they don't love it as much as I do" that causes good financial judgment to go out the window and not come back until it's too late. Do you like waking up in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep until you check on the items you're bidding on on Ebay? Do you consider flipping through your cell book to be a good substitute for eating? Does the emotional distress that comes from not getting a sheet of celluloid with some paint on it cause you to feel just ever so alive? Well, then cell collecting is for you!

Okay, maybe I was somewhat obsessive, but the other people I knew who collected cells were about the same, and a lot of them were worse than me. I do tend to get very fixated on some things (which is why I won't play World of Warcraft or any other MMO - I'd never see another naked girl in the flesh again) but cell collecting does seem to squash moderation in people.

The upside is I do have some nice stuff, and cells do look nice hanging up in frames. I have a couple of truly excellent Lum cells, and from Utena I have a cell of Juri spoiler[with her arm stretched out, right after the locket got destroyed].

I burned out on it enough that I can look through cell books at cons without the risk of poverty, and I may grab a few more in the future. But given our economic times, this is the wrong wrong wrong time to start collecting cells.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Content issues aside, negative because Naruto was one of the highest rated shows on Cartoon Network. Then it was pulled. Shippuden needs to stay on Cartoon Network but on Adult Swim (technically speaking, both on the same TV channel).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The problem with the third Tenchi OVA was that the money was mostly spent on GXP and Kajishima just doesn't care anymore about it, which was glaringly obvious.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But yet, I love watching the english dub of it because it's that bad.

I really don't understand why people would watch something and love it if the dubbing is bad. That's a bizarre statement, no matter how many times I see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4