• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Live-Action Parasyte Series Premieres on April 5 on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The upcoming production is based on the manga, but will tell its own new story.

This has never gone wrong in the history of manga adaptations, ever.

*sigh*

The visuals actually gave me some slight hope.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
what does it mean "the series will run new episodes until june"?
I thought netflix is all about releasing the entire series at once? for binging?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has been airing weekly simulcast for anime and other foreign programming for at least a year now.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Netflix has been airing weekly simulcast for anime and other foreign programming for at least a year now.

it's not an anime it's a live action show. I've watched a bunch of korean shows before and they were all released fully on day 1. so this is new to me.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:41 pm Reply with quote
How come this show has 0 footage? not even a teaser. when it's coming out in a month.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:50 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Quote:
The upcoming production is based on the manga, but will tell its own new story.

This has never gone wrong in the history of manga adaptations, ever.

On the flip side, it seems most live-action adaptations that try to just retell the original stories end up falling flat on their faces. It feels more sensible to me to tell new stories set in the world of (Popular IP) rather than continually repeat the same plot over and over again. That way it's not just a means for the fans to compare every character, every scene, and every line to the original the whole way through.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:15 am Reply with quote
The thing is they already made an adaptation that apparently hewed closer to the manga anyway knowing that why make another?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The thing is they already made an adaptation that apparently hewed closer to the manga anyway knowing that why make another?
Because it's not THEM who made the first adaptation, obviously - this one is SK-produced instead of Japan. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:36 am Reply with quote
Korean shows are big for Netflix, so I get the reasoning. Also, it's the director of Train to Busan which currently has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Between this, Avatar outpacing even The Night Agent, and the previously noted success of One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho, live-action anime will likely continue to be a growth sector for Netflix. What other Toonami shows can they adapt?
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:40 am Reply with quote
Why they can't simply adapt the manga and not invent something other?
joac101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
-Matthew- wrote:
Why they can't simply adapt the manga and not invent something other?

Because there was already an anime and 2 live action films??!!
ssjtennis1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Mushrinku wrote:
How come this show has 0 footage? not even a teaser. when it's coming out in a month.

Netflix usually doesn't really show footage outside of a month unless it's a tentpole type of series or movie. House of Ninjas trailer was released two weeks before it's debut, and before that there was absolutely no photos or anything to gleam from.

And there for sure have been a few Korean shows that have been doing 1 or 2 episodes a week on Netflix.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Between this, Avatar outpacing even The Night Agent, and the previously noted success of One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho, live-action anime will likely continue to be a growth sector for Netflix.

Wait people actually watched the Yu Yu Hakusho for as harsh as the feedback to it was when first announced and after it premiered?

Beatdigga wrote:
What other Toonami shows can they adapt?

Outlaw Star Razz

WANNFH wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Because it's not THEM who made the first adaptation, obviously - this one is SK-produced instead of Japan. Laughing

I would think given how prevalent complaining about American live action adaptations is around these parts an Asian live action adaptation wouldn’t catch heat.

And yes for the record I remember some of the criticisms of the Fullmetal Alchemist and Diamond Is Unbreakable live action adaptations. But for some reason those and other iffy la movies made by Japan, China, or South Korea get selectively ignored around these parts.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Between this, Avatar outpacing even The Night Agent, and the previously noted success of One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho, live-action anime will likely continue to be a growth sector for Netflix.

Wait people actually watched the Yu Yu Hakusho for as harsh as the feedback to it was when first announced and after it premiered?

Netflix publicly claimed it was the most watched Japanese-native series they’ve produced, besting Alice in Borderland in hours.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
Not bad for adaptation of a manga that started off with a down to earth premise (no pun intended) and finished terribly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2