• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix Unveils Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
Given the nature of it, could this be set in the timeline of the destroyed world which made the Illuminary travel back in time and see what it was like before he fixed it?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:26 am Reply with quote
Last time I got excited for a logo was Metroid Prime 4. I'll wait for more info.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 am Reply with quote
Very exciting! Almost. It certainly would be if they'd told us anything we didn't already know! The new logo looks nice, but I doubt it'll be the one they use for the actual game, unless they decide to go with a black background, which seems unlikely.

Definitely very hyped for the simultaneous worldwide release! But... SE has promised such things before, and seldom followed through. Those waits for DQ localizations can be brutal.

And on a personal note, I was very amused by all the people in the livestream chat expressing concern over Horii's comment that XII would be a darker, more "adult" game. It always amazes me how many people can play through these games and not pick up on the relatively dark themes simply because of the colorful, cartoony aesthetic. Kinda the inverse of the Diablo II problem, where people misremembered the original games colorful, cartoonish aesthetic (lighting mechanics aside) simply because the the tone of the game was so relentlessly dark.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Given the nature of it, could this be set in the timeline of the destroyed world which made the Illuminary travel back in time and see what it was like before he fixed it?

It "could be," but almost certainly won't, as each Dragon Quest game is very standalone. Even those that occur in the same setting have only very, very minor connective tissue.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Whatever Dragon Quest XII is I’ll play it for damn sure! I’m just glad they confirmed from the get go that this will be released worldwide.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:50 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Definitely very hyped for the simultaneous worldwide release! But... SE has promised such things before, and seldom followed through. Those waits for DQ localizations can be brutal.

More brutal than the cringey not funny localization itself?

Fluwm wrote:

And on a personal note, I was very amused by all the people in the livestream chat expressing concern over Horii's comment that XII would be a darker, more "adult" game. It always amazes me how many people can play through these games and not pick up on the relatively dark themes simply because of the colorful, cartoony aesthetic.

It’s easy to over overlook that with how egregious the game’s have been known to get with their writing original and localized. How is anyone supposed to take serious as a example the second quest in Phnom Nohn involving a dragon who forces people to give up the things they cherish most when not only is the Dragon Pink but on top of that speaks with a lisp?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
Well I was jus thinking about getting into DQ. Guess this game will be my first
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
a DQ for adults....FFS NA don't you freaking censor it.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Those waits for DQ localizations can be brutal.

Worth the wait in my opinion. The translation is my favorite thing in DQ. Be it that basically every item description has some wordplay, a town where everyone speaks in haiku or a mermaid riming all the time.

Last edited by Terry Lang on Thu May 27, 2021 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
Many of those waits in the past have been less about the localization taking time (which of course it does) and more Square-Wnix waffling back and forth about whether they want to bring the game overseas, very often deciding not to. Thank god for Nintendo.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

More brutal than the cringey not funny localization itself?

Dragon Quest Games have some of the best localizations in the industry, taking great effort to convey the original games' humor that would otherwise not be possible to communicate with a fully literal translation.

I can understand not liking the how the games handle accented dialog, especially when there's no voice acting, but other than that? Yeah, no. There's nothing to do but praise the localization teams.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:20 am Reply with quote
It was pretty much just a matter of time until they announce DQ XII. Now we may have the announcement, but it tells us only barely more than nothing, we'll just have to wait and see for now I guess.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote
It seems that Enix is trying to appeal more to the west, wanting DQ to be more like FF or SMT/Persona in terms of mature themes, but I don't know, DQ games were always made for all players in mind and they do have some risque humor, but I guess that mature means more violence and swear words. Also, some people are thinking they will replace Toriyama as character designer, but that's ridiculous is not like Akira can't draw anything but cute monsters like the enemy slime.
In terms of platforms, Enix would probably aim for the PS5 for a worldwide audience, but I can't imagine them ignoring the success of the Switch in Japan, perhaps they game will arrive on all consoles and PC, and that Switch successor that allegedly is coming soon.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of announcing games with just a logo. Screams Metroid Prime 4 to me.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Great news indeed!
And I hope that when they say it's going to be more "adult oriented" that also means the game will be more challenging. I miss the older RPGs which were actually challenging. The more recent DQ games I've played have been fun but they have not been a challenge at all and thus they totally lack the satisfaction one used to get when you completed a quest or beat a hard dungeon.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Also, some people are thinking they will replace Toriyama as character designer, but that's ridiculous is not like Akira can't draw anything but cute monsters like the enemy slime.

Agreed. I can't imagine them replaying Toriyama as his art style has really been the one thing that makes Dragon Quest games Dragon Quest. If you look at other series like FF the art style varies a lot from title to title, yet every DQ game since the very first has the same basic monster designs. His art has become the core of the DQ franchise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Dragon Quest Games have some of the best localizations in the industry, taking great effort to convey the original games' humor that would otherwise not be possible to communicate with a fully literal translation.

You don’t have to make a 100% literal translation though. Just translate the game as close to possible to the original script but dial back on the cornball stuff, don’t have characters speaking with random unnecessary accents while being willing to have characters speak without them, and stop changing the names of things.

SUPER_METR0lD wrote:
Not a fan of announcing games with just a logo. Screams Metroid Prime 4 to me.

This is a practice that predates Metroid Prime 4 and isn’t exclusive to the gaming industry. It also doesn’t lead to the mentioned project winding up development hell.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Also, some people are thinking they will replace Toriyama as character designer, but that's ridiculous is not like Akira can't draw anything but cute monsters like the enemy slime.

He can but even then Toriyama’s style doesn’t always make monsters that are supposed to be more fearsome or terrifying as such.

Try thinking 1st form Frieza going to 2nd Form Frieza.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
It seems that Enix is trying to appeal more to the west, wanting DQ to be more like FF or SMT/Persona in terms of mature themes, but I don't know, DQ games were always made for all players in mind and they do have some risque humor, but I guess that mature means more violence and swear words. Also, some people are thinking they will replace Toriyama as character designer, but that's ridiculous is not like Akira can't draw anything but cute monsters like the enemy slime.
In terms of platforms, Enix would probably aim for the PS5 for a worldwide audience, but I can't imagine them ignoring the success of the Switch in Japan, perhaps they game will arrive on all consoles and PC, and that Switch successor that allegedly is coming soon.

While I'm usually the first one that has his doubts about a game that may try to appeal more to the west, we're still talking about Dragon Quest here, THE game of Japan. Dragon Quest was always true to its roots, it is exactly the reason why the series is so loved in Japan and it's also something that the west doesn't want to change. It wouldn't be a wise decision to carter more to the mainstream western fan, because Dragon Quest could lose its very soul in the process and I doubt that Horii (or anyone) would want that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3