• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Shame And Atonement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, is that so? Now that makes me wonder what her reasoning behind blocking those soft drinks must be. (Is it every soft drink? I've never been to Universal Studios since the Harry Potter stuff got finished.)
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Both of their latest appearances in the anime are about 10 years ago. I think it's safe to assume they've been quietly pushed aside in the anime department as well. Given there were even complaints about Aloe in Best Wishes which got her apron censored in the American dub, so I doubt they'd want to try to push any kind of luck.

-Stuart Smith

There's over 700 Pokémon, some just don't appear as much.

Clefairy, Hypno, Exeggcute and probably a few more Pokémon haven't appeared in just as long, doesn't mean they're banned.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there are Young Adult authors out there that are also anime fans, and they are willing to get their work adapted into an anime TV series especially if it ends up being popular in Japan.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Record label self-censoring therefore is an elitist act. Consumers should be able to make their own moral choice about whether they want to support or reject Sakai Noriko through purchase of her work. Until now, record labels have prevented this choice and imposed their own perceptions of a monolithic conservative morality upon the market. The case of “Blue Rabbit” shows that pulling records from stores is not in accordance with “Japanese morality” but only the industry’s own guidelines.

Some of your comments before this point are interesting, but at this point you're soapboxing. And we don't allow soapboxing.

Please keep that in mind for future posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder if there are Young Adult authors out there that are also anime fans, and they are willing to get their work adapted into an anime TV series especially if it ends up being popular in Japan.

Well the Deltora Quest anime is the closest thing you describe. Other then that, no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this has been mentioned ~80 times already, but that "don't sit too close to the TV and all that good stuff" warning still absolutely occurs on Japanese television, and it's relatively common, especially during "kids' blocks". I'm pretty sure it's like mandatory during Super Hero Time (the block that shows Kamen Rider and Super Sentai), and several others, especially the really blatant kids' anime, like Pokémon and whatnot.

I don't think I've ever seen such warnings on Western television, though. At most, it's just a "PSA" that stands as part of the show itself.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail has that warning at the beginning of a lot of episodes (all excluding the first 15 or so I believe).
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Quote:
I hadn't even noticed that the little "please watch this anime in a well-lit room and sit far away from the TV" warning isn't coming up anymore, but now that I think about it, I can't remember the last show I saw that had it.

I seem to recall Natsu from Fairy Tail giving this warning at the beginning of episodes not too long ago. I don't know if this was kept for home video releases though.

I have the collection sets and its definitely on there.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
About western YA fiction getting adapted for anime, it has to be translated to Japanese first, then make significant sales or fanbase over there to be considered for animation adaptation. Just because author is a fan of anime, manga, game, or whatever otaku stuffs, there is no guarantee that his work attract eyeballs as there are hundreds of Japanese YA authors who does the same thing.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
anime is now a pretty international thing, so if an anime adaptation gets green-lit, that could really torpedo their chances of getting their book optioned by a big Hollywood studio.
REALLY? Hollywood would/dump/not pick up a project just because there was a Japanese cartoon of it? I don't see how that would affect their bottom line at all.

Regarding the Poke-shock warning, the only ones I remember were for comedy shows, where the warning was always delivered as a gag. It suggested the animators were not taking the thing entirely seriously.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Record label self-censoring therefore is an elitist act. Consumers should be able to make their own moral choice about whether they want to support or reject Sakai Noriko through purchase of her work. Until now, record labels have prevented this choice and imposed their own perceptions of a monolithic conservative morality upon the market. The case of “Blue Rabbit” shows that pulling records from stores is not in accordance with “Japanese morality” but only the industry’s own guidelines.

Some of your comments before this point are interesting, but at this point you're soapboxing. And we don't allow soapboxing.

Pardon my confusion, Key, but what was my soapboxing about? AFAIK I was merely pointing out that the Japanese consumers don't necessarily ascribe to their industry's "atoning for the drug sins" thing. I believe that subject has only come up a few times.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Answerman wrote:
anime is now a pretty international thing, so if an anime adaptation gets green-lit, that could really torpedo their chances of getting their book optioned by a big Hollywood studio.
REALLY? Hollywood would/dump/not pick up a project just because there was a Japanese cartoon of it? I don't see how that would affect their bottom line at all.

I suppose they would be concerned that the potential audience would look at the movie and think, "Been there, seen that," if there is already an anime. Even if the adaptations bring different things to the table, the more times something gets adapted the less "new" it feels.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Answerman wrote:

It could affect merchandising. If you are a Hollywood studio you might want to control not just what is being sold in order to maximize cashing in, but also its look and feel. Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones franchises don't just sell DVDs and BDs. There are books (with new covers tying in with tv & film), artbooks, toys, replica weapons, etc. Hollywood does sell its stuff internationally and they might not necessarily want Anime merchandise competing even if its just for the pennies. Of course the main point was that the payday for the creator would be larger from Hollywood than Japan anyways and that's not even considering if the creator is even aware of anime as a vehicle for telling their story.

Greed1914 wrote:
I suppose they would be concerned that the potential audience would look at the movie and think, "Been there, seen that," if there is already an anime. Even if the adaptations bring different things to the table, the more times something gets adapted the less "new" it feels.

And yet they keep recycling Superman, Spiderman, etc., etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6