• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
Okay people, let's discuss the biggest problem in the latest episode. That being spoiler[the Army dudes threatening people in a safe zone. Sure, they look big and scary, and they could knock you around a bit, but you wouldn't lose HP. There's no pickpocketing so they can't steal your items either. Maybe they torture people by hitting and stabbing them repeatedly, inflicting pain but not damage? Except that ultimately this is all they could do, and it wasn't even addressed in the episode itself so it's a non-starter.]

I did like how Heathcliff spoiler[let them go without a fight. He knew they'd come back on their own, no need to make them angry at him. He certainly does have great leadership abilities. Of course, if he's really the creator like some people think he is then it could explain why he was so confident they'd be back, because he can manipulate events to his choosing.]

I thought it was really cute how Asuna and Kirito spoiler[acted like newly-weds. Oh, and they had matching bands. Given that this is a game, no doubt they're enchanted, probably with +75% stamina regen rate or something similar (yeah, I play too much Skyrim). I wonder if they made their own bands or just bought two that looked similar. About their marriage, I wonder what they both thought of the equipment the other had stored in their inventories. Remember, after you get married your partner can see what is in your inventory and vice-versa, so did Kirito have like a dozen black trenchcoats? Did Asuna have four thousand cabbages that she had left-over after levelling her cooking? Inquiring minds want to know.]

As for spoiler[Yui, my guess - and that's all it is, a guess - is that she's the creator's daughter who was locked away for years in a blank dimension. This isolation caused her to regress. She doesn't have a health bar because he made her immortal. She has powers (the ability to distort the game being one of them) because he made her like that. My guess is that he released her near Kirito and Asuna because they are a couple (perhaps the strongest in the game) and we already suspect that he has long been keeping an eye on Kirito and gave him the duel blades power.]

It makes sense; if you're going to spoiler[release your unstable daughter into the game proper you would want a powerful couple to look after her. But that raises another reason; why did he do it? To what end? What purpose was she kept locked away for? What purpose was she released for? I think Yui could sense a boss fight and people getting injured. Well, that was my first thought when she started screaming suddenly and began talking about suffering hearts. And the timeframe would fit; don't forget that there's a boss-battle every ten days or so. I wouldn't be surprised if Yui had several abilities and that was just one.]

I am interested in people saying that spoiler[this is a side-story. Given how unusual she is, how special she is, I am surprised that she is not relevant to the main plot. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens.]
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I am interested in people saying that spoiler[this is a side-story. Given how unusual she is, how special she is, I am surprised that she is not relevant to the main plot. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens.]

She is very relevant. spoiler[Just not in SAO. SHe's probably my favorite character after Kirito and Asuna]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
She is very relevant. spoiler[Just not in SAO. SHe's probably my favorite character after Kirito and Asuna]

Oh ho ho, now that's interesting. I have unintentionally read spoilers about what spoiler[Kirito and Asuna get up to once they get out of SAO,] so I have to wonder if that's related. Please don't tell me though, I want to cut back on spoilers.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Okay people, let's discuss the biggest problem in the latest episode. That being spoiler[the Army dudes threatening people in a safe zone. Sure, they look big and scary, and they could knock you around a bit, but you wouldn't lose HP. There's no pickpocketing so they can't steal your items either. Maybe they torture people by hitting and stabbing them repeatedly, inflicting pain but not damage? Except that ultimately this is all they could do, and it wasn't even addressed in the episode itself so it's a non-starter.]

Yeah, I didn't think about that at the time, but now that you bring it up it does seem like a minor plot hole

Quote:
I did like how Heathcliff spoiler[let them go without a fight. He knew they'd come back on their own, no need to make them angry at him. He certainly does have great leadership abilities. Of course, if he's really the creator like some people think he is then it could explain why he was so confident they'd be back, because he can manipulate events to his choosing.]

Agreed on both points.

Quote:
spoiler[About their marriage, I wonder what they both thought of the equipment the other had stored in their inventories. Remember, after you get married your partner can see what is in your inventory and vice-versa, so did Kirito have like a dozen black trenchcoats? Did Asuna have four thousand cabbages that she had left-over after levelling her cooking? Inquiring minds want to know.]

Hadn't thought of this, either, but it is an amusing thought.

As for the rest, it's an interesting speculation, and I do eagerly await finding out in the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

the armyspoiler[ is a huge guild harassment in safe zones has the weight of threat that anyone leaving the safe zone can be known to be outside when they do. implied threat is as good as immediate action if the group can keep tabs on your movements.(" don't comply! next time you set foot outside town we'll be there!")]

Quote:

I'm inclined to thinkspoiler[the leader simply wanted to make up for Kirito just about getting killed by a guild mate doing something the leader had set in motion literally right after recruiting him.(guilty conscience) ] but any guild leader worth their salt knows you indulge your assets and they will do more for you than browbeating them which will make them leave the guild.
Quote:

I thought it was really cute how Asuna and Kirito spoiler[acted like newly-weds. Oh, and they had matching bands. Given that this is a game, no doubt they're enchanted, probably with +75% stamina regen rate or something similar (yeah, I play too much Skyrim). I wonder if they made their own bands or just bought two that looked similar. About their marriage, I wonder what they both thought of the equipment the other had stored in their inventories. Remember, after you get married your partner can see what is in your inventory and vice-versa, so did Kirito have like a dozen black trenchcoats? Did Asuna have four thousand cabbages that she had left-over after levelling her cooking? Inquiring minds want to know.]
spoiler[ its the guilty pleasures items both have stored away Asunas kinky fetish underwear and Kirito's 2 tons of C-rations & rat tails from when he started leveling.]
Quote:

As for spoiler[Yui, my guess - and that's all it is, a guess - is that she's the creator's daughter who was locked away for years in a blank dimension. This isolation caused her to regress. She doesn't have a health bar because he made her immortal. She has powers (the ability to distort the game being one of them) because he made her like that. My guess is that he released her near Kirito and Asuna because they are a couple (perhaps the strongest in the game) and we already suspect that he has long been keeping an eye on Kirito and gave him the duel blades power.]

spoiler[I'm not big on any theory that puts the creator or any progeny into the game. although its been done to death in anime I personally don't get the feel for it in this one.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

It's not just any safe zone, either. It's the *original* safe zone: the starting area for the whole game. It is full of people who, for whatever reason, have not moved on in the game. In other words, a lot of the people here are either too chicken or too feeble (or too young) to leave. This makes them easier targets for the unscrupulous, and generally under the radar of the more powerful guilds in the game (though maybe not for much longer).

I expect Kirito and Asuna to clean house (yes, pun intended) there next episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
But how would they be targets in the first place? If they never leave then no-one can do anything to them.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
i liked this episode. a nice little break from all the craziness in the front lines and good to see teenagers still able to act like teenagers after being trapped in a game for 2 years
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Yui is the Missingno. of SAO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But how would they be targets in the first place? If they never leave then no-one can do anything to them.

They have to leave to survive. They need some money for basic food/shelter needs.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
jayrome25 wrote:
i have never scene such hate for one anime other than the usual naruto,one piece bleach fans. Seriously if this is so good why are there so many haters. Cause duh ,this show sucks, Compared to clannad and k-on haters and such theres atleast 80% of people who enjoyed there shows, unlike SAO where half their viewers think this show is terrible.

Welcome to the forum! Here's what facts look like compared to your opinion: Sword Art Online. That doesn't include all of the users that will end up rating it favorably after it ends. SAO is currently ranked #113 out of over 5000. With an average of "Excellent."
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing: do they even need shelter and food? Players may feel cold and may feel hunger but can they die from them?

Even if you can die from hunger and cold, in safe zones your health can't go down. So I'd imagine you can't die from hunger or from the elements as long as you remain in a town or city.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Here's the thing: do they even need shelter and food? Players may feel cold and may feel hunger but can they die from them?

Even if you can die from hunger and cold, in safe zones your health can't go down. So I'd imagine you can't die from hunger or from the elements as long as you remain in a town or city.

Well, since people can still feel hunger, depending on just how far the game goes with simulating the effects of starvation, they'd start to suffer pretty badly after a while.
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Do I hear about holes in the mechanics? How about the strongest players dying to a much weaker one just because of a mere poison. Apparently he can solo a giant Minotaur, but not resist a simple paralysing poison.

If we turned this into a drinking game, we'd get to drink all night long.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
@Mad_Scientist:

Well see, this is what I wished the series expanded on. Game mechanics like hunger, temperature and pain are important, especially considering that players are trapped in a game that could actually kill them.

Maybe we'll learn more next episode about how the Army enforces their rule. I sure hope so, because at the moment there's a lot to be explained about how you successfully threaten someone when you can't physically damage them. The only way to do it that we know of is spoiler[sleep P.K.,] and I doubt the Army guys have the nous to pull that off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 274