• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but I see a civil lawsuit in the very near future. Today's society seems to love to sue everyone else, and blame others for their own mistakes. Personally, I don't think any legal action should take place at all. But I feel that its inevitable. Just look at the track history when ever someone does something stupid, it always seems to be the fault of where ever they got the idea.

I don't watch Naruto, but does anyone know if there is a certain age rating for the show? Or any sort of disclaimer before the show airs? Like they do on Adult swim shows? That would at least give VIZ a better leg to stand on.

I don't want to play devils advocate here, but I really don't feel sorry for the family. It's the parents job to teach their kids to tell the difference between reality and fiction. It's the same principle of between right and wrong. The problem today, is most parents don't take the time to properly discipline their children, or teach them properly.

My generation came out ok, and I grew up with Transformers, GI Joe, RoboTech, ect. Maybe what these parents need to do is just beat some sense into their kids like they did us when we were younger. The good old fashion switch, or belt will do the trick nicely. Betcha won't do something stupid then.

TV's seem to have become the babysitters of today's day in age. Add cellphones to the mix, and its almost child neglect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DekarMaximGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
My condolences to the family.

I don't really want to get involved in any of the conversation, but I am in disbelief of all the kids who were/are given freedom so young. I'm 20 now, but I was not allowed anywhere alone until I finished highschool. Not the frontyard, not anywhere. Was dropped off and picked up at school, and supervised all day. While obviously I realize my parents are an extreme case, to hear about 10 and unders playing alone without adult supervision for any length of time is disturbing.

I won't trust my kids at that age, that's for sure.
Same_Shark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
If the kid's parents filed a lawsuit, I'm sure they'd lose mainly because they apparnetly neglected to teach their son the difference between fantasy and reality. In my eyes, that's neglect.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:
I hate to say it, but I see a civil lawsuit in the very near future. Today's society seems to love to sue everyone else, and blame others for their own mistakes. Personally, I don't think any legal action should take place at all. But I feel that its inevitable. Just look at the track history when ever someone does something stupid, it always seems to be the fault of where ever they got the idea.

I don't watch Naruto, but does anyone know if there is a certain age rating for the show? Or any sort of disclaimer before the show airs? Like they do on Adult swim shows? That would at least give VIZ a better leg to stand on.

I don't want to play devils advocate here, but I really don't feel sorry for the family. It's the parents job to teach their kids to tell the difference between reality and fiction. It's the same principle of between right and wrong. The problem today, is most parents don't take the time to properly discipline their children, or teach them properly.

Its PG accoring to wiki, and I if I rememebr correcly its true. I thought PG shows were shows that parents were suppouse to be there to watch with their kids to explain things.

Maybe not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
I wonder if back in the ancient days, kids were like "Let's go break a dam and make a flood like in Gilgamesh! It'll be totally cool!"

Except I think the people would've been more likely to laugh it off back then.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Same_Shark wrote:
If the kid's parents filed a lawsuit, I'm sure they'd lose mainly because they apparnetly neglected to teach their son the difference between fantasy and reality. In my eyes, that's neglect.

Actually I'd guarantee you they'd win. Regardless if they didn't teach him the difference between reality and fiction, or maybe they did and he just didn't pay attention (no way to know now is there?), the fact remains these "family friends" should have been watching all of the kids in the back. For them to be able to dig a whole large enough for him and then barry him, given their ages and relative strength, they had to have had at least 30 minutes to do this all. I mean I doubt they had a shovel, or were strong enough to use one anyway, so they used their hands probably. We're looking at probably around 30 minutes with no check ups by the adults that are these friends of the family. With that many kids in your backyard that's uncalled for. They don't need you there to supervise them and hold their hands at that age but being mindful of what they're doing is still important. I think these friend's of the family should face some sort of punishment and a hell of a lot of community service. These kids were at their place and their responsibility at that point. If they didn't want that responsibility they should have had the kids play at one of the other kid's houses instead.

I also think that any who would dare say that the kid is just stupid, or go on about Darwin's law, should shut the hell up and show some goddamn decency. That was a freaking little child that just died so why don't you show a little goddamn respect. How would you feel if that was your kid or your sibling huh? Would you make your freaking smart ass jokes then? Regardless if at that age he should know right from wrong or fact from fiction the fact remains he was still just a child. Children, even when told how to act and what not to do, act like children and do silly things, including not listening to what they're told, even if they know better. That's part of being a child, doing silly things and letting your imagination run away with you. Anyone who would have the nerve to make fun of or belittle this kid for simply being a kid and trying to have fun should be ashamed of themselves for being so shallow and callous.
Navak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I also think that any who would dare say that the kid is just stupid, or go on about Darwin's law, should shut the hell up and show some goddamn decency. That was a freaking little child that just died so why don't you show a little goddamn respect. How would you feel if that was your kid or your sibling huh? Would you make your freaking smart ass jokes then?

There is a difference between decency and showing respect, one of which you obviously lack as evidenced by your post, and having sympathy.

I know I often use humor in reference to horrible things. It helps get on with things even if only to provide an outlet for raging from people like yourself.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Navak wrote:
There is a difference between decency and showing respect, one of which you obviously lack as evidenced by your post, and having sympathy.

I know I often use humor in reference to horrible things. It helps get on with things even if only to provide an outlet for raging from people like yourself.

Perhaps, but there are quite a few people on this website who don't know whether someone is joking or not, so you may just want to watch what you say about certain things here. Psycho has every right to say what he wants, because that is what he believes in, and he is offended by posters here who think that the kid dying because he decided to bury himself head first in the sand was funny. I would not provoke him.
Zerith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
My condolences to the family as well.

I just saw the Komo-Tv news thing, I hated how they described Naruto as if it was some Demonic show that hypnotizes kids to bury themselves or their action figures.

It's a freaking accident! about 100,000+ people are watching Naruto, they're safe aren't they? Viz had no reason to worry about some kid imitating the show.

Also, None of the sand ninja ever put their head in a hole on the ground. All of the moves using sand is above the freaking ground.

The kid was doing it all wrong.

Also, the person that was supposed to be watching them had no reason to watch over them, they have probably been there over a hundred times, and nothing bad happen. who would have known that something like that was going to happen?

It's an accident, you either blame everyone or don't blame anyone at all. No one knew that that was going to happen, everything has been been fine until that happened.

Last edited by Zerith on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Navak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Navak wrote:

Perhaps, but there are quite a few people on this website who don't know whether someone is joking or not, so you may just want to watch what you say about certain things here. Psycho has every right to say what he wants, because that is what he believes in, and he is offended by posters here who think that the kid dying because he decided to bury himself head first in the sand was funny. I would not provoke him.

When asking for people to show X, it is usually good to display quality X yourself. Instead, Psycho followed the namesake and acted Psycho.

I haven't read a post from anyone that thought it was funny, I have read several that thought it was a stupid. Guess what, burying your head in sand IS stupid.
AstralSaudade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
My condolences to the family of this poor child. We most certainly can't blame him; how would a kid know the difference between fantasy and reality? As much as I'd like to blame the parents for this, perhaps there was a reason why they weren't able to watch their kid when he was watching, or watch him while he was playing. Still, I have to say that he was their responsibility, and filing a lawsuit won't do any good, especially since I'm pretty sure when they show anime

When I was little, my parents kept such close surveillance on me that I never had any playmates in my neighborhood. I was never allowed out of the house alone, I didn't learn to commute on my own until three months ago, and my parents are still wary of letting me go to late parties.

Plus, I remember when my mom saw me watching Cardcaptor Sakura when I was ten, and instantly told me to quit watching because it was "violent". Back then, she came to the conclusion that all anime series were violent. Of course, since I'm turning 19 now, she's perfectly aware of the fact that I already know that I can't do alchemy in real life.

Though it's nice to pretend sometimes; I mean, the safe kind, like just clapping and then slapping your hands on the ground, haha. Anime hyper
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
The parents are responsible. What ever hapened to parent supervision? It takes a while to bury someone, but the parents never noticed. Sure, there;s no real need to supervise kids above 12 (almost),. Oh well, shit happens, not that I really care. Just hope they are not so dumb as to blame anime for this. Actually....it would not surprise me
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Navak wrote:
I haven't read a post from anyone that thought it was funny, I have read several that thought it was a stupid. Guess what, burying your head in sand IS stupid.

I will not disagree with you on that point. The fact of the matter is, he did not know what he was doing, and he was simply imitating a stunt from a show. And what happened? He didn't know he was going to suffocate, and the other kids thought he was just playing around. And thus, he died. Sad story, but one now we all get to and have to learn from.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...when he was buried, headfirst, in a sandbox.

My god. He's ten years old and he doesn't realize that would be a bad idea? I'm just truly shocked. I don't want to be a jerk. I really do feel for him and his family. I just don't know what to say. I guess kids sometimes do stupid things and it has tragic results.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Of course some idiots are going to blame anime, but no one but other idiots will listen to them.

Famous last words.

I'll agree that yes, it's abit premature to believe in the worse, but then again, it takes (a) determined idiot(s) to get results.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9