• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Lv 1 Demon Lord, it's definetily not as risqué as the manga is. The gratuitous ass shots are obviously still there, but in the manga she straight up had them wedged up there.

Either way, I'm definetily expecting most people here, including the two reviewers to drop this early on, since the fanservice never really goes away, specially considering spoiler[Demon Lord having an adult form that's just a high school girl in a very skimpy outfit.]
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Kind of disappointed to see that Sweet Reincarnation appears to be not that good. I thought of maybe watching it because I loved Yumeiro Patissiere and Kira Kira Pretty Cure A La Mode, but apparently not much thought is put into the actual sweets making.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, we got through an impressive 8 shows with no isekai, but with the next batch, there's now three of them. Four if you count reincarnation into the same universe.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
In any event, poor young Pastry – yes, that's his name – is reborn into a world where sugar is rare and even apples are hard to come by if you don't live in the right region.

So, Ascendance of a Bookworm, but with sugar instead of books. And from the sound of it, it's not particularly good. Still, if I had to watch one of these isekai, it'd probably be that one.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
In any event, poor young Pastry – yes, that's his name – is reborn into a world where sugar is rare and even apples are hard to come by if you don't live in the right region.

So, Ascendance of a Bookworm, but with sugar instead of books. And from the sound of it, it's not particularly good.

That was my reaction as well, but I also have to fully agree with Nick's take on it:

Quote:
Honestly, most of the things I liked about the premiere mostly came down to it not repeating the cynical or incompetent choices of stuff like The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure.

And I can't quite get over that the protagonist's father is literally named Lord Casserole. (In fact, nearly all of the names seem to be food references.)

Sweet Reincarnation plays a little better with the also-available second episode added in, where you get to see Pastry go all tactical to defend his father's fief and eventually reveal his rather cool power, but even that doesn't rise the series above the Too Generic barrier.

EDIT: I had a bit more positive reaction than the reviewers to Dreaming Boy, but won't dispute that its premise has some foundational issues. Contrarily, I had a more negative reaction to the return of Masamune-kun. The six year gap since the first season killed what little interest I had in seeing more. I'll agree that the lies and convolutions are the series' strength, but I didn't find the new situation that Masamune and Aki are stuck in counter-balanced enough how unlikable both of them are. (And having been to Paris within the last month, I can attest that no, it's not the wonderland of PDAs that the episode makes it out to be.)

OTOH, I found Level 1 Demon Lord to be surprisingly charming and more thematically involved than expected. Of the four Monday debuts/returns that I checked out (I never finished the first season of Malevolent Spirits, so I skipped that one), it seems like the most likely keeper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ItsThatBriGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The Dreaming Boy Is A Realist feels very disjointed because it's moving through a ton of foundational material without really touching it. We get a lot of context-free character intros (including one whose early behavior is vital to later developments reduced essentially to a hand wave) and a brutally eviscerated early subplot. I get the desire to hit the emotional core of the source material that won't really be present until later volumes, but skipping on world-building in the early stages will make that effort even clunkier than the translation dialogue.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:28 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
...The opening scene is Ariel and Luke discussing their preference in nipples afterall (although hidden behind euphamisms)....Put it bluntly, Ariel is a sex fiend. I would even say that moment with silphy wasnt a joke. It was an invitation...
Thanks! Actually I was trying to figure out the code but I didn't get it. Also had a dorm mate in college that would pull the "it's a joke" bit whenever his obnoxious conduct met a negative reaction so I suspected that might be the case. Have to see if that becomes plot relevant at some point...
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of euphemism, what is Princess Ariel's brother hinting at with that "cake with fruit topping" talk to her and the noble at the social gathering?

About Ryza: They're giving EXACTLY what their fans want. As simple as that. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Level one hero surprised me. I though the whole "hero aren't needed anymore" was going to be the real reason for why the hero faded into obscurity (which is complete BS), but right away to throw that aside and squarely pin the blame on Max. If they avoid the "woe is me, its all society fault" it should be pretty good. I do wish there was less pointless fan service, if you want to put fan service, at least do something fun with it. Like that Austin Power scene where they just find clever way to hide the character private, it's still fan service but at least it serves another purpose.

Also, is it based/inspired on the arc the lad games? The hero look incredibly similar.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
@L'Imperatore
My take is the "sumptuous cake" is the kingdom and the "berries" are allied nobles.

Also, Ryza...gurl is thic and chungus...
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:23 am Reply with quote
Not sure about Lvl 1 Demon Lord, it didn't really land for me. The fan service felt out of place and a little odd for the scene, but if it was toned down as mentioned above, maybe that's the reason?
I'm guessing the bit about things changing a lot in 10 years is supposed to be a joke about how the world is now like modern Japan, but since we didn't see the world really before it's hard to tell
Based on the ending I'm guess the Demon Lord is now female though maybe that was the mage?
If things don't get too packed I think I'll give this another episode or two as I'm not really sure what it's going for yet, but I'm at least curious enough to give it a try.

Last edited by Covnam on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:37 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Also, is it based/inspired on the arc the lad games? The hero look incredibly similar.

Based on, no - it's its own manga. But inspired by? I wouldn't be surprised, because I thought the same thing about the heroes.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:06 am Reply with quote
I'm slacking this season due to work commitments but I've managed to watch the ones that were in my top 5 to "check out"

MT
Hopefully Ep.1 onwards will actually have some animation budget or staff that give a shit - as this didn't look great.

1) CR with clunky censorship again (when the ugly guy was feeling up the girl in the theatre) - check the JP Raw to see what was cut.
2) I didn't expect a tea party conversation to focus entirely on nipples
3) Ariel is a bi-sexual sexual predictor, and a masochist - AKA a typical MT noble.
4) Magic ray bans that prevent others identifying the wearer - should have been explained.
5) No explanation on why Sylphie's hair turned white spoiler[ its due to mana depletion]

Ryza
Thicc Thighs do not excuse crapness - straight drop

Level-1 demon
Enjoyed this even though heavily toned down compared to the Manga.

Horymia
Would have been so much better if was in original adaptation - nice but too disjointed.

Bang Go!
It's OK, will enjoy this
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Speaking of euphemism, what is Princess Ariel's brother hinting at with that "cake with fruit topping" talk to her and the noble at the social gathering?

About Ryza: They're giving EXACTLY what their fans want. As simple as that. Laughing
The cake talk was about the kingdom and the crown. The cake is the kingdom, the crown is the berry on top. Big bro was like, I certainly hope your not screaming to take the kingdom to Ariel. When he turns to the other guy, he's pretty much saying, I hope you know your place and don't help her with her schemes. Pretty much game of thrones stuff.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
09jcg wrote:
...The opening scene is Ariel and Luke discussing their preference in nipples afterall (although hidden behind euphamisms)....Put it bluntly, Ariel is a sex fiend. I would even say that moment with silphy wasnt a joke. It was an invitation...
Thanks! Actually I was trying to figure out the code but I didn't get it. Also had a dorm mate in college that would pull the "it's a joke" bit whenever his obnoxious conduct met a negative reaction so I suspected that might be the case. Have to see if that becomes plot relevant at some point...

I'll have to watch this episode and reread the light novels, since I don't remember that being the case, but it has been some years since I last read it.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
Penrhos wrote:

1) CR with clunky censorship again (when the ugly guy was feeling up the girl in the theatre) - check the JP Raw to see what was cut.

Every service outside Japan got sent the censored version, and as usual, it's almost certainly to appease China, where censors gave season 1 trouble. (The removal of every reference to the undead from the anime is likewise almost certainly to appease Chinese regulations.) I wish people would stop fantasizing that US services get to make calls like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 17