• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Shame And Atonement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Jynx has appeared multiple times since the "blackface" outcry, but in it's modern purple colouration. Older episodes that featured the black incarnation have also been edited to change the colour to purple. Kadabra was never banned from the anime, it just hasn't appeared for a while. One had a role in a late AG episode, around the time PUSA took over from 4Kids. Middle stages in general tend to miss out; there's a preference to show the cute first form, and the tough final form. IIRC, it's the TCG that Kadabra has essentially been exiled from.

Both of their latest appearances in the anime are about 10 years ago. I think it's safe to assume they've been quietly pushed aside in the anime department as well. Given there were even complaints about Aloe in Best Wishes which got her apron censored in the American dub, so I doubt they'd want to try to push any kind of luck.

-Stuart Smith
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
OK so either the seizure thing only effect Japanese kids. Has there been any report of "Pokemon Shock" seizure outside of Japan like in another Asian countries (ie: South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore) that's been caused by that episode prior to the ban? If there's no incident of it, then there must be a genetic predisposition to seizure and bright light color on TV.

If so, why do American video games like Ratchet & Clank contain a similar disclaimer that appears at the start of each game in the series? Maybe a better explanation is that the episode in question was either not released or released in an edited form after its original run on Japanese television.

I'm not saying that seizure from TV doesn't happen in US. But that's not the point, I just wanted to know if at the same time that episode was shown in Japan was also shown in other Asian countries. If the episode was shown in other part of Asia at the same it was shown in Japan and no incidents of seizure was reported in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc... prior to the episode ban, then it would validate my evidence.

Quote:
Also from Justin's description it sounds like Japanese parents and schools wildly overreacted to what might have been just a few incidents of actual seizures caused by viewing that particular episode.

Well, that the Japanese for ya. They tend to overreact over a single incident. I'm trying to recall what single trivial incident in Japan that led to unnecessary overreacting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The episode did send 685 kids to the hospital...

I don't think it's fair to call that an overreaction. Almost 700 kids is a lot, and depending of the type of epilepsy, effects could linger for quite a while. 2 of them HAD to stay in the hospital for 2 whole weeks. Maybe it was just 1% (or less) of the children watching Pokemon at the time, but that's still a high number, and surely you can't say that taking meassures so that never had to happen again was wrong.

It's a single incident, but one that people would obviously want to avoid repeating.

mdo7 wrote:
If the episode was shown in other part of Asia at the same it was shown in Japan and no incidents of seizure was reported in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc... prior to the episode ban, then it would validate my evidence.

It didn't. This episode was aired only on TV Tokyo, in Japan, on December 16, 1997 at 6:30 p.m., and that's it; the show only reached other countries about a year later, starting from the US.

My guess is that whatever version of the episode is floating around somewhere must be an edited version or merely a fake. I mean, there's no way the studio would have left the film as-is when handing it over to foreigners. I wouldn't risk an international fiasco, at least.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
Hey, at least Japan isn't Indonesia: Indonesia drugs convicts ‘to be executed at same time’

Japanese authorities have for long portrayed any illegal drug sorta like an ultimate evil that would undo the harmony of society (kinda like American pro-prohibition vilified marijuana after their loss of prohibition, and it took what some 8 decades to undo all that indoctrination, so that stuff gets really ingrained). They won't even let foreign celebrities into the country who have prior drug convictions from their local countries, even if they're rehabilitated. So yeah, don't bring drugs in Japan, not even a couple grams.

As for this "atoning for your drug sins" thing:

Sakai Noriko and "Japanese" Morality"

• There is a standard protocol for Japanese record labels when their artists are arrested on drug charges or for any other anti-social acts: they pull all of the artists’ CDs from stores. When Makihara Noriyuki was arrested for amphetamines in 1999, Sony dutifully removed the singer’s records from record stops. This kneejerk reaction even applies ex post facto: when guitarist Suzuki Shigeru of ’60s hippie band Happy End was arrested for marijuana in February of this year, all the classic Happy End records — perhaps the most canonic recordings of Japanese pop music history — became unavailable through major commercial channels.

The idea is not just that these recordings are “tainted” by a drug using artist, but that companies must self-censor their catalogs to make sure that the offender does not profit during the criminal proceedings. But this behavior also conforms to a Japanese cultural principle: 「臭いものにふたをしろ」 ”Put a lid on things that smell.” In other words, companies want bury anything controversial as soon as possible. By removing the CDs, record labels feel like they are quietly erasing any legacy of the criminal artist’s existence.

So when Sakai Noriko was arrested for amphetamines in August, her record label Victor Entertainment — as is the convention — took all of her albums out of distribution. And in this digital age, Victor also had to remove all her songs from iTunes. But here’s where the label messed up: they forgot to remove Sakai songs that showed up on compilation albums.

Horror! There were free-floating Nori-P songs out there on iTunes. Surely the Japanese people — who we are told again and again have a low moral tolerance for drug use — rose up in outrage against Victor, Apple, and Sakai for the oversight. Or maybe in more predictable Japanese style, everyone just ignored these offending tracks.

Actually, that’s not what happened at all: Sakai’s 1995 hit “Blue Rabbit” (「青いウサギ」) was the number one song on iTunes for the week.

If anything, this proves the old adage that “all publicity is good publicity.” Surely the arrest made a lot of casual fans think about Sakai for the first time in years. They thought, “You know what I want to hear? ‘Blue Rabbit.'” So they went to iTunes and bought it. There was likely nothing particularly complicated about their motivations.

The high sales for “Aoi Usagi” was big egg on the face of Victor, but on the bright side, this slip-up let us test the idea that Japanese companies and Japanese people share the same morality. Before now, record labels could successfully remove records from distribution, therefore consumers had no way of showing any kind of countervailing reaction against the self-flagellation. Now with iTunes, we see that Japanese consumers’ primary reaction to seeing a disgraced starlet arrested for drugs… is to buy her work. This is not an affirmation of drug use, but it surely is not a hyperventilating rejection of it either.

Record label self-censoring therefore is an elitist act. Consumers should be able to make their own moral choice about whether they want to support or reject Sakai Noriko through purchase of her work. Until now, record labels have prevented this choice and imposed their own perceptions of a monolithic conservative morality upon the market. The case of “Blue Rabbit” shows that pulling records from stores is not in accordance with “Japanese morality” but only the industry’s own guidelines.

When looking at consumer phenomenon in Japan, trends and booms correspond so directly with huge marketing campaigns that it is often hard to separate out natural consumer interest when so many want to consume “whatever is popular.” And that’s why this iTunes “mistake” was crucial: the media and record labels for once were telling consumers not to buy and they did anyway. Perhaps the so celebrated Japanese “singularity of experience” is imposed by the market and the authorities rather than an actual expression of society.

GATSU wrote:

Though I'm still surprised there isn't a Harry Potter anime by now.

Yeah, I remember when Harry Potter was coming out and pretty popular in Japan, many Japanese were anime-izing the characters. (Heck, they already had their built-in loli in Hermione!) Laughing

Stuart Smith wrote:

Pokemon in general tends to bend it's knee towards international pressure, which is incredibly rare to see for a Japanese franchise and why modern games take place in random international countries like America and France.

It's about the money. They make a lot of money in worldwide markets, so makes business sense wanting to appeal to such markets. These decisions aren't random at all - they know what they're doing.

gloverrandal wrote:

The show was only marginally more violent than an American cartoon, nowhere near the level of other kids anime, and outside of a few suggestive keyframes that had more detail than usual there was zero fanservice. It was noticibly more sterile than kids anime usually is so I think Marvel or Disney had something to do with that, maybe with the idea that they may want to air it internationally with as few edits as possible.

But that's the proper way to do it - if ya are thinking of distributing a show to many other places from the start, then do it in such a way that there won't be a fiasco when the payoff comes. Otherwise, why would ya want to screw yourself at the other end with headaches one way or another?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
If the episode was shown in other part of Asia at the same it was shown in Japan and no incidents of seizure was reported in Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, etc... prior to the episode ban, then it would validate my evidence.

It didn't. This episode was aired only on TV Tokyo, in Japan, on December 16, 1997 at 6:30 p.m., and that's it; the show only reached other countries about a year later, starting from the US.

My guess is that whatever version of the episode is floating around somewhere must be an edited version or merely a fake. I mean, there's no way the studio would have left the film as-is when handing it over to foreigners. I wouldn't risk an international fiasco, at least.

Oh OK, because well sometime I've seen anime being shown outside of Japan first (like Afro Samurai was shown in US before Japan broadcast it), so I was wondering if the anime had been shown in other Asian countries the same time it was shown in Japan. But thanks for giving me the answer.

enurtsol wrote:

As for this "atoning for your drug sins" thing:

Sakai Noriko and "Japanese" Morality"

Thank you for the link, enurtsol. That is very useful. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Quote:
The episode did send 685 kids to the hospital...

I don't think it's fair to call that an overreaction. Almost 700 kids is a lot, and depending of the type of epilepsy, effects could linger for quite a while. 2 of them HAD to stay in the hospital for 2 whole weeks. Maybe it was just 1% (or less) of the children watching Pokemon at the time, but that's still a high number, and surely you can't say that taking meassures so that never had to happen again was wrong.

Justin's full quote reads:
Quote:
Which isn't to say that TV Tokyo and the show producers overreacted. The episode did send 685 kids to the hospital, although only a small number ended up diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy.

I read that to mean most of the 685 kids probably didn't react at all to the episode, but something their parents or teachers observed made them think the kids had been affected.

Also Japan has the longest hospitalization stays of any advanced industrial society. In 2009, the average length of stay was eighteen days, or more than two weeks.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
I don't think it's fair to call that an overreaction. Almost 700 kids is a lot, and depending of the type of epilepsy, effects could linger for quite a while. 2 of them HAD to stay in the hospital for 2 whole weeks.
Was this due to direct effects from the seizures or having the bad luck in hurting themselves during the event? Random flailing about makes it incredibly easy to injure yourself.
FLCLGainax wrote:
It's likely the strobe-lighting effects aren't as much of a concern these days due to the switchover to digital TV broadcasting. Analog TV screens were harder on the eyes.
Broadcasting has nothing to do with it, but the TV technology. Cathode ray tubes are hard on the eyes, especially if you sit up close(so the advice to sit further back is at most outdated); I remember going cross-eyed after spending too long on the computer if I was spending time on white-heavy webpages.
gloverrandal wrote:
Do you have epilepsy? Not just anyone can get triggered by watching something, it's only people with epilepsy. Also an internet stream of the episode isn't at a very high resolution or bitrate compared to watching it on TV to begin with.
I've had reason get checked and been confirmed as non-photosensitive, yet watching it on YouTube still made me feel bad. Its the flashing itself, not the bitrate.
yuna49 wrote:
If so, why do American video games like Ratchet & Clank contain a similar disclaimer that appears at the start of each game in the series? Maybe a better explanation is that the episode in question was either not released or released in an edited form after its original run on Japanese television.
I haven't seen a single American console game that hasn't included the standard epilepsy warning in the manual, though sticking it on in the game itself is unusual. I'm not sure if the practice was ever so common on PC games.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
4Kids was also forced to edit all previous episodes' lighting effects. It's obvious. They dimmed the lights in places and slowed down flashing. This is back when 4Kids' editing was really crappy and easy to spot. Without even watching the Japanese version, you can tell exactly what they edited. They did much less of it too. .

Actually, it wasn't 4Kids that dimmed and slowed down flashing in the early Pokemon episodes, it was the Japanese studio itself. Those edits are on all post-Porygon home/rental releases in Japan, as well as in any early Pokemon reruns that have occasionally played on Japanese television over the years. 4Kids just got the post-Porygon masters.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Mgellis wrote:
Rizelmine used the warning messages; I think it aired in 2002. It was an extremely silly show and actually used the warning as an opportunity for humor, showing the female characters in scanty clothing and having them say things like, "You're too close!" Smile
Many of the other Master of Entertainment (m.o.e., get it?) shows from the early/mid-00s did the same thing, among them Steel Angel Kurumi, Hanaukyo Maids, Cosprayers, Smash Hit, and Love Love?.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
This kneejerk reaction even applies ex post facto: when guitarist Suzuki Shigeru of ’60s hippie band Happy End was arrested for marijuana in February of this year, all the classic Happy End records — perhaps the most canonic recordings of Japanese pop music history — became unavailable through major commercial channels.
So even a member of the sort of band one might expect to be associated with smoking marijuana gets blowback from the record labels? Sheesh.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
This kneejerk reaction even applies ex post facto: when guitarist Suzuki Shigeru of ’60s hippie band Happy End was arrested for marijuana in February of this year, all the classic Happy End records — perhaps the most canonic recordings of Japanese pop music history — became unavailable through major commercial channels.
So even a member of the sort of band one might expect to be associated with smoking marijuana gets blowback from the record labels? Sheesh.

It's stupid, I say let the fans decide if they want to support the artist again instead of the record label or the industrial standard.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
OK so either the seizure thing only effect Japanese kids. Has there been any report of "Pokemon Shock" seizure outside of Japan like in another Asian countries (ie: South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore) that's been caused by that episode prior to the ban? If there's no incident of it, then there must be a genetic predisposition to seizure and bright light color on TV.

The episode has not been exported anywhere, even to other Asian countries whose dubs are based off the original Japanese version instead of the English 4Kids/TPCi version (which all European and Latin American dubs are).
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Hoppy800 wrote:

It's stupid, I say let the fans decide if they want to support the artist again instead of the record label or the industrial standard.

Well that's how it is in Asia. It's not only Japan that does this. I've already seen scandal like this in South Korea once in a while (although non-drug scandals like dating scandal has been on the rise)

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

The episode has not been exported anywhere, even to other Asian countries whose dubs are based off the original Japanese version instead of the English 4Kids/TPCi version (which all European and Latin American dubs are).

Just want to make sure, because I've seen anime being shown in Japan and Asian countries at the same time (I have seen cases of this, but I'm trying to remember which one) and doesn't get exported to the US until a year later. So I was curious if that episode was shown in other Asian countries the same time it was shown in Japan to see if there's been report of seizure in Japan's neighboring countries.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, pseudoephedrine is banned there? I'd have a hard time getting nasal decongestant--my ability to breathe is the first thing to go when I get a cold (though I get a sore throat first).

I also remember Space Channel 5, released shortly after that Porygon incident, having a seizure warning during a point in the game when the main character is flying through a red-yellow-and-blue-striped tunnel.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
I wish there'd be more adaptations of the Western classics. Maybe an animated version of "Crime and Punishment" or "La Reine Margot". Or another adaptation of "The Count of Monte Cristo" (as good as Gankutsuou was, I'd prefer it to stay a little more the source material).

At the top of my list would be an adaptation of the Tom Sawyer trilogy. Maybe something from a smaller comics publisher too (though Witchblade didn't turn out as well as hoped).

Carlooo wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pokémon Porygon or its evolutions have never appeared in the Pokémon anime after that episode. It seems they're still trying to avoid further controversy.

There definitely seems to be an unwritten ban on the Porygons. The Porygon evolution line will show up on eyecatches, openings, and crowd shots, but Porygon, Porygon2, and Porygon-Z will never be anything more than an extra, nor will any character ever mention any Porygon by name.

When I was younger, after the Johto story was finished, I noticed that, including the movies, Porygon2 was the only Generation II Pokémon to not get an episode or movie focus. I realized it hadn't been shown at all, not even on extra material (like the aforementioned eyecatches and opening sequences). So I decided to keep watch to see if a Porygon or an evolution of Porygon ever appeared in the anime. Porygon eventually appeared in a 4Kids-made "Who's That Pokémon?" eyecatch in a Hoenn episode, but after that, nothing.

Looking it up, Porygon2 appeared in the 4Kids-made Johto Pokérap, and the entire line made blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos in "The World of Pokémon" for the Keldeo movie.

mangamuscle wrote:
I would have to disagree. At the current rate, they will run out of new light novels to adapt in the near future. It is already noticeably they are animating some less than great/older material. Nowadays is not about if they are going to adapt the new best seller manga, but when.

So sooner or later they are going to need new material to adapt. Of course it would be too much of a hassle to adapt anything owned by disney/warner (unless they ask for it, like in Marvel Disk Wars). But there is plenty of good material from smaller publishers. We already saw some of it when they adapted Witchblade into an anime.

So mark my words, it is not about when we will see anime based on non japanese manga/light novels, it is about when and who will make the successful first big step (companies are risk averse, but no one argues with success).

Considering the anime business and the light novel business seem to be so close to each other, if there's any shortage of light novels, I'd bet the anime studios will request the light novel publishers to go looking for more authors. Or they'll go to whatever other source of stories is really popular with their target audience at the time. If it happens to be American comic books, for instance, I'm sure anime studios will turn to American comic book publishers. If they're suddenly into Bollywood, expect more singing and dancing and Hindu folklore in anime.

Despite being owned by Disney, Marvel seems to be a relatively easy license to acquire. I'm not entirely sure why. Even small companies, like Zen Studios, are able to make their own Marvel stuff. (Zen Studios is an interesting case, if you ask me--the game company used to also have the rights to make Star Wars games, but when Disney bought Lucasfilm, Zen was asked to complete the games as on the contract, and then it ended. However, Zen was allowed to continue making Marvel-themed games, and unlike with Star Wars, can renew it easily.)

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Porygon was also banned from the series and pretty much everywhere outside the games. Even though Porygon had nothing to do with the specific incident in the show.

I suppose it is still a "game," but the Pokémon Trading Card Game never had a ban on Porygon or its evolutions. In fact, they tend to be really useful cards (even Porygon2 AFTER Porygon-Z was introduced).

Melicans wrote:
IIRC, it's the TCG that Kadabra has essentially been exiled from.

Indeed, Kadabra was banned from the TCG. As a result, you either have Alakazam as a Basic Pokémon (meaning you bypass Abra and Kadabra and can use Alakazam right from the start), or in one case, Abra could be evolved straight to Alakazam.

Technically, that Alakazam DOES have a picture of Kadabra in the corner, indicating you must (under normal circumstances) evolve Alakazam from Kadabra, making it Kadabra's only appearance in the TCG after the Uri Geller incident.

Kadabra has also been excised from the anime except for that "World of Pokémon" sequence, though it's harder to notice as it took until Generation III for that to happen (and probably because Abra and Alakazam, like with the TCG, still appear with no limitations, making it less conspicuous than the Porygon line).

Jynx, on the other hand, has had no restrictions whatsoever. Her most recent card was from 2014 (with the purple face, of course), though there was a 5-year gap between that card and the next most recent Jynx card that had her skip Generation V completely.

For the record, the most recent Porygon-Z card is also Generation VI.

yuna49 wrote:
J. K. Rowling is one of the most controlling authors in the world. Every single aspect of the Harry Potter theme park at Universal Studios Orlando had to be cleared by her, right down to what beverages could be sold there. If I ran an anime studio, I'd want nothing to do with Rowling and Potter.

For beverages, I can see why: She seems to be rather outspoken about the Harry Potter brand image, and she really, really does not want it associated with drunkenness of any sort. She will block any attempt to make Harry Potter merchandise that would likely wind up at bars, pubs, and taverns, for instance.

Mohawk52 wrote:
It's not just anime. Here in the UK every news story piece that has flash photography in its vision is given a warning to the audience by the news presenter before it is shown, but to date whether anyone has been affected by looking at flash photography images on video is not known. However I know of a work coleague who could not look at the production stack monitors if a feed was breaking up and flashing during alignment of sat signal carrier. She would have leave the gallery until it was stable, poor woman. we would always have to warn her in advance before assigning an Outside Source (OS).

Does that mean that there's such a warning constantly onscreen during the Olympics or the World Cup, considering the audience is constantly taking photographs with the flash on?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
For beverages, I can see why: She seems to be rather outspoken about the Harry Potter brand image, and she really, really does not want it associated with drunkenness of any sort. She will block any attempt to make Harry Potter merchandise that would likely wind up at bars, pubs, and taverns, for instance.

She blocked them from selling normal soft drinks like Coke. It had nothing to do with liquor. You can buy a "butter beer" at some extravagant price inside the Potter attraction but none of the regular soft drinks sold everywhere else at the park. Rowling's opinions might be defensible, but they would certainly pose substantial obstacles to an anime adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6