• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: As CW's Vortexx Block Disappears, So Does Saturday Morning Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hate that Saturday Morning cartoons are gone. It was the default for kids that didn't have higher options out there.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
My childhood TV watching was mostly Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and, when I was really young, PBS Kids (also Boomerang a bit later). There was a time when I did watch a lot of FoxBox/4Kids TV every Saturday morning to see One Piece, Ninja Turtles, Mew Mew Power, Winx Club, Shaman King, etc, but I stopped around when I was 13 and it was never my main source of entertainment. I mostly only watched it because I could actually get it on my bedroom TV.

But I am aware of the long-standing tradition of Saturday morning cartoons and it's a shame to see them go away like this. Cable was the main killer, along with other things like video games, the internet, and FCC regulations being increasingly strict on free-to-air children's programming.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
If merchandise-driven shows weren't verboten, I'm pretty sure Saturday morning cartoons would still be putting in a good showing. We'd also probably see more of that sort of anime brought over(*cough*Precure*cough*).
kirac91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
i will always remember watching sailrmoon, cardcaptors, digimon and some other classics.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
In Canada all anime on TV has been gone since 2009. And a few months ago YTV even took out Pokemon. So I guess this comes as no surprise to me (or maybe I had the last 5 years to get over it?)

Regardless, I am just grateful that I grew up in the era of Saturday morning cartoons and late night anime programming. This live action sitcom trend never quite clicked with me.

Teletoon got the rights to most of the shows. They are currently airing Yugioh Zexal, Beyblade (Metal Masters for some reason), Pokemon XY, and while not an anime Power Rangers. It`s not quite the end yet.
niastyle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow. No more Saturday morning cartoons. I'd like to take a moment to remember some of my favorites from my childhood, and the only reason I was up at 7am on Saturday's. Crying or Very sad

Muppet Babies
X-Men
Beetlejuice
Pound Puppies
My Little Pony (the original)
A Pup Named Scooby-doo
MoonDreamers
Lady Lovely Locks
Maxie's World
Beverly Hills Teens
Robotech
Thundercats
Voltron
She-ra
Get along Gang
Snorks
Fraggle Rock
Smurfs
Rainbow Brite
The Little's
Strawberry Shortcake

Man! Memory lane stretches longer than I thought. I must be really old.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
I've also heard college football cited as one of the culprits that killed Saturday morning cartoons. You've got games starting as early as 9 AM on the West Coast and noon on the East Coast, plus several hours of College Game Day, Pre-Game Analysis, Kickoff Countdown, Final Countdown, Final Final Countdown, and Fantasy Football Speculation Destination airing before them... all of which got better ratings than kids' shows in the era of increasing network specialization.

I don't remember all the shows I watched on Saturday mornings in the late 80s and early 90s, but I know that for awhile I was able to switch between networks and get a solid run of cartoons I liked from 6 AM to noon. Among them were GI Joe, James Bond Jr., Bucky O'Hare, Super Mario Bros. 3/World, Captain N the Game Master, Muppet Babies, Garfield and Friends, Back to the Future, X-Men, TMNT '87, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego, CBS Storybreak, and probably others that only lasted a short while.

But as the 90s wore on, getting up at 6 or 7 AM to see increasingly changed or canceled Saturday morning blocks lost its appeal, and catching up on sleep lost during the school week became more important. Though I lament the loss of Saturday morning cartoons as a concept, I don't miss the "watch it or lose it" aspect of the pre-DVD/pre-Internet days. Family trips meant guaranteed missed episodes unless I could catch them in a hotel (not good odds with early checkout times and a father wanting to hit the road) or getting lucky with rabbit-ear antennas to get a barely-watchable signal on the one channel that came in at the lake cabin.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've also heard college football cited as one of the culprits that killed Saturday morning cartoons. You've got games starting as early as 9 AM on the West Coast and noon on the East Coast, plus several hours of College Game Day, Pre-Game Analysis, Kickoff Countdown, Final Countdown, Final Final Countdown, and Fantasy Football Speculation Destination airing before them... all of which got better ratings than kids' shows in the era of increasing network specialization.

Even during the "Golden era", I remember if a show got the finishing-up slot at 12-12:30 pm, that was the Network Kiss of Death--Almost guaranteeing that you would never, ever see a single episode, as it would nearly always be pre-empted by local and network sports pre-shows.

Quote:
I don't remember all the shows I watched on Saturday mornings in the late 80s and early 90s, but I know that for awhile I was able to switch between networks and get a solid run of cartoons I liked from 6 AM to noon. Among them were GI Joe, James Bond Jr., Bucky O'Hare, Super Mario Bros. 3/World, Captain N the Game Master, Muppet Babies, Garfield and Friends, Back to the Future, X-Men, TMNT '87, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego, CBS Storybreak, and probably others that only lasted a short while.

I remember when the two smartest-written shows of the 80's were on right against each other at 10am: Garfield on CBS, and ALF/ALFTales on NBC.
(In one ALF cartoon, ALF has to grab a remote and stop an out-of-control machine: He pushes a button, and all of a sudden, the screen statics and changes to a slob cat passed out in front of a refrigerator...."Oops, wrong remote!" Razz )

When Fox lost the X-Men/Tick block, and all CBS had left was Mythic Warriors, that was the beginning of the end, and Fox's cheesy CGI Avengers didn't carry on the legacy either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5