• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dragon's Crown

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Am I reading your response right? Laughing .

No, you aren't. There's a world of difference between the two, which was the point I was trying to make.

Your argument seems to be that a game should lazer focus on a target audience to the exclusion of everyone but that target audience. That we should criticize a game because it's intended audience will love the thing we criticized.

Quote:
I suppose all the people offended at the violence levels in the Mass Effect series get the short end of the stick in this regard and can't play the game

Those people are free to criticize the the game for it's violence. I am also free to be critical of their interpretations of the game. No one is forcing anyone here. I'm just saying it's possible to appeal to your target demo without insulting a large group of people.

And to address the point, I doubt many complained about the violence in Mass Effect, it's mostly used on machines, who are intent on harming innocent people. Mass Effect actually has a very uplifting message about working together and living in peace.

Quote:
correct me if I'm wrong that you are not actually a part of yet acting like you're a spokesperson for. Smile Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

What group would that be? Gamers? Women? Because you don't have to be either to see this stuff as bad.

And my opinions are my own, I don't speak for anyone else but myself.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Dragon's Crown is the whole reason why I originally bought a PS3 to begin with and finally the game is out. I could care a less about the irrelevant "controversy" surrounding the game. I'm curious which english voice actresses will be voicing the Sorceress, Amazon & The Elf. Patrick Seitz as the Fighter & Jamieson Price as the Dwarf are fine choices for the characters.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Dragon's Crown is the whole reason why I originally bought a PS3 to begin with and finally the game is out. I could care a less about the irrelevant "controversy" surrounding the game. I'm curious which english voice actresses will be voicing the Sorceress, Amazon & The Elf. Patrick Seitz as the Fighter & Jamieson Price as the Dwarf are fine choices for the characters.

I am seeing more folks that who are ignoring the controversy or are in favor of it (i.e. Sorceress, Amazon FTW!), in spite of of nearly every single mainstream review from from white knights disparaging this aspect of the game. Lots of people are also excited for the artbooks.

I think in reality there are A LOT more people like you and hopefully this will set a precedent, showing other Japanese developers that they don't have to be so fearful of the politically correct media, that they don't have to be afraid of "teh sexy" will be perceived, that they can take a stand, like how Kamitani personally did for his work.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
white knights

I like how often this gets tossed out. Really says a lot about the people that use it.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
white knights

Racist!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I like how often this gets tossed out. Really says a lot about the people that use it.

You really think white knighting doesn't exist and is just something people made up Confused Sorry but that's wrong, it's totally a thing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

You really think white knighting doesn't exist and is just something people made up Confused Sorry but that's wrong, it's totally a thing.

Is it a thing? Sure, I guess. In real life. How the fudge does it even work online? Either way, there's a helluva lot assuming and no evidence. Ever. Just "lol white knighting". It's a way to write off everything, as if no one could possibly care except to get some pussy. With people they've never met in person, apparently.

People tossing that out there, purely as a means to discredit people bringing up the issue, says a lot about them, none of it good, and nothing about the people they're lobbing it against.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Accusing someone of "white knighting" online is basically saying you are dismissing their position purely because they decided to argue against you.

Its a tautology.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Man go on vacation and already there's some craziness with this game. I'm trying to figure out how the hell controversy came out when designs and previews came out like months ago? Then I'm hearing all kinds of stuff. Sexism and homophobia. I mean I'll admit the character designs are a bit crazy and while I don't really know or can comment on the journalist myself it was pretty juvenile on both ends. To be honest considering the whole supposed "gay" attack could it be that it might have been read into too much. But I did read where Kamitami somewhat apologized. I can also see where some may have considered Kotaku right, that they reviewed it, didn't sugar coat it as it was kind of hard getting around a really comfortable matter. But it's not like anyone didn't know this. As a female myself I really don't see a big deal in this and it doesn't bother me as I've seen far worse. Considering this type of fanservice in "anime" no one has really made an issue on stuff like this when you find the same thing. If this game didn't make it over here I doubt gamers would have made a big deal. Those that wanted it would have ported it and that would have been the end of that. Nobody would have had a reason to complain in un masse because there wouldn't have been a reason to. I have no doubt the game was meant to target a certain demographic but one has to remember that this game still targets a certain demographic in Japan not so much here. And yeah, Japan does create images that are overtly sexual in nature for their male audiences which generates money. But we here don't have control over what they do there. Even though one might find it offensive other's look at it as no big deal. But to call a grown man a 14 year old boy, seriously? With all this talk about speaking logically like a man, that was unprofessional.

But I'll admit I'm not crazy about the women's designs but the rest of the game is a gorgeous piece of work. Hopefully Kamitami will consider that he might have to realize that not everyone likes jiggly boobs. If I'm lost on this one that's why this is a discussion board. I would like to read as many different takes on this. But I think some are already tired or don't want to bother it because it's just gives someone else more hype. Controversy always gets views.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Is it a thing? Sure, I guess. In real life. How the fudge does it even work online? Either way, there's a helluva lot assuming and no evidence. Ever. Just "lol white knighting". It's a way to write off everything, as if no one could possibly care except to get some pussy. With people they've never met in person, apparently.

People tossing that out there, purely as a means to discredit people bringing up the issue, says a lot about them, none of it good, and nothing about the people they're lobbing it against.

It's simple guys see a girl or woman being harassed by other people online "mainly youtube or twitter" and stand up for her on their moral grounds with hopes of "something in return". They think the said woman is weak by themselves with hopes of getting to know that person better.. yeah you see where this leading don't you??

It's not to hard to comprehend but it still doesn't go on as often people let on but still happens. Now excuse me while I go take a shower because that was hard as hell to write.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

It does exist insofar as there is a category of behavior that some people identify as such, but that doesn't make it meaningful or valid. I think that it's just part of the extensive arsenal of online rhetorical tactics used to change the emphasis of a discussion from the original topic to the people involved, a side-effect of which is that those using the tactic can avoid making positive arguments for whatever they're advocating. It's not about arguing why they are wrong, but about disqualifying them from being able to advocate for their position.

Incidentally, did you used to be Jessica Hart? I ask because we've had a TitanXl in drag before and you do sound awfullly familiar, so I just want to check if you're the devil I know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
You've nevoer played an online game before that requires voice chat I take it Smile It happens a lot in WoW and other games I play and I see it a lot for any girl that streams on TwitchTV in a low cut shirt and gets smacked with tons of donations from guys that make me a bit jealous that I'm not confident enough to do that. I guess some people are really sheltered from certain aspect of the gaming scene Razz
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
You've nevoer played an online game before that requires voice chat I take it Smile It happens a lot in WoW and other games I play and I see it a lot for any girl that streams on TwitchTV in a low cut shirt and gets smacked with tons of donations from guys that make me a bit jealous that I'm not confident enough to do that. I guess some people are really sheltered from certain aspect of the gaming scene Razz

Wow, I did not know that ANN was an MMORPG complete with voice chat! When's the next raid?

Also, you've shown that some men are sleazebags or donate money for questionable reasons. That is not synonymous with white knighting. Either way, it has fudge all to do with anything happening in this thread. Frankly, I'm not convinced you know what white knighting actually is.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
[
Laughing I don't think we'd have the make-up, beauty, and fashion industry if these kinds of 'sex fantasies' weren't grounded on some kind of aspiration for the average woman.

Man, it's not like the patriarchy upholds those industries and the standards that lead girls to using them, no, that can't possibly be true. That'd make you have to think, and that would be doubleplusungood.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'd like to make a small statistical point. (Synopsis and summation not counted)

Number of words devoted (generously counted) to the question of the character designs: 141/869 (16.22%)

Number of words implying negative judgement on the character designs: 46/869 (5.29%)

Number of posts in this thread that implicate the character designs: Like Hell I’m reading all of that to figure that out; I’ll just say 57/60 (95%)

Post that introduced the subject: The first one

The problem here is not the review.

All this. The review is extremely positive of the game on a whole, getting all A's and B's. There's only a single paragraph in the whole review discussing the character designs and some of the problems he had with it. Only 1. From all the discussion in this thread you would think the entire review was just Todd lambasting the female character designs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18