• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
This was a silly episode.

First of all players can apparently get physically tired and out-of-breath in the game. We had an idiot army getting in over their heads; could that leader have been any more stupid? How did he survive for two years? Once again Asuna becomes weak and ineffectual around Kirito. Speaking about the guy, what happened to his healing rate? As seen in episode four he can regenerate a little over four percent of his health every second but in this episode his health is static. Kirito was sure quick to agree to the fight. If he was an actual loner he could have simply told the commander that he's not forcing Asuna to do anything. But oh no, this supposedly attention-avoiding loner readily agreed to a fight with the leader of the most powerful guild in the game. That's sure to be

Also, Kirito had a previously-unmentioned power which is - gasp - duel-wielding. Is that not the most amazing power ever?* It is supposed to explain why he doesn't use a shield, but there's a couple of problems. If the power was the big reason stopping him from using a shield, he could use a shield when using one sword then swap the shield out when equipping the second sword. It's not like the game forces players to use the same equipment loadout for the entire battle, yet we never see players mixing it up. Heck, Kirito still uses the same outfit that he got back in episode two. Then there's the problem of how he's been fighting for two years and only had the power for six months, so why didn't he use a shield before he got the power? But hey, maybe Asuna got it wrong and he just values speed and agility over armour rating (hence a lack of shield).

But as silly as the episode was, that fight was so freaking awesome.

Sarcasm, if it wasn't obvious.

rosebowl89 wrote:
Or you could see it more not as Heathcliffe trying to keep Asuna, but Heathcliffe trying to force Kirito to join, knowing that he wouldn't back down from a challenge and treating him like an item to obtain to further the guilds reputation.

This is a good point that I hadn't thought of. Well done.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

First of all players can apparently get physically tired and out-of-breath in the game.

An effect implemented in a lot of games. The Elder Scrolls series for example.

Quote:
We had an idiot army getting in over their heads; could that leader have been any more stupid?

A history full of idiotic military commanders that attack without having proper intelligence makes that plausible. Besides that whole "Liberation Army" pathos can get to your head.

Quote:
But oh no, this supposedly attention-avoiding loner readily agreed to a fight with the leader of the most powerful guild in the game.

Because gamers don't get competitive at all. Besides a victory would probably mean "piss off and don't bother me".

The rest I either agree with or see as irrelevant. In any way the whole show is silly not just the episode. I wouldn't play an MMO like this even if it wasn't norespawnforyou.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:

A history full of idiotic military commanders that attack without having proper intelligence makes that plausible. Besides that whole "Liberation Army" pathos can get to your head.

Except that those military commanders mostly got their positions by heritage not skills.In a world of SoA everything is earned through social skills and of course combat skills.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
Plenty of people throughout history have politicked their way into military commands; the Liberation Army falling victim to that same effect isn't too surprising.

That said, they seemed to have done pretty well before they started dropping like flies(presumably when the third health bar was drained). I'd have to rest this one on institutional pride: the Army had been irrelevant for quite some time and beating a boss by themselves would've put them back on the map in grand style. The soldiers never complained, so it's probable the whole group was drunk on it.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Except that those military commanders mostly got their positions by heritage not skills.In a world of SoA everything is earned through social skills and of course combat skills.

Don't believe they have officer schools in SAO (Custer graduated West Point btw). Most of them are simply hardcore gamers and for all we know that guy was simply the guild leader's buddy. All I'm saying is that crazier things have happened in real life.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Of all things, you worry about SAO using annoying character archetypes to extremes, while what you really should worry about is that kind of people lining up to buy limited edition games. The guild master and this commander sure don't pass off as the type who would. You'd expect this commander to be busy being an instructor at a summer camp, and the guild master being a politician because he comes off as one.

His dumb actions didn't matter so much to me, simply because I was more concerned about the possibility of the existence of such a persona in this kind of game. Too hard to swallow this time, Sword Art Online.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
I was not expecting a realistic portrayal of mmo guild politics in an MMO ever.

Seriously, as an officer in one of the leading guilds on SWTOR's Ebon Hawk server, I can understand what this guild leader is going through. If one of our key members was being taken away by a rival guild, I'd do whatever it took to keep him or her active in our progression raiding. Hardcore groups take this stuff seriously and Kirito is challenging their efforts. Add to this that the risks in this game are life and death.... I'm glad I'm not playing this game. (I enjoy pvp a bit too much and risking my life? No way.)

Of course, if you really want the full story you do need to read the light novels. The anime is doing a fine job (and more Lisbeth PLEASE) but the novels do so much better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
@ dtm42
If I had to guess why he uses a one handed sword, and leaves one hand free, my guess is that he wants to keep it free so that he can use items easier. Since he fights by himself he has to rely on himself for any support, better for him to be used to fighting with one weapon, then have to shift his fighting style. He needs to keep himself quick and flexible, chances are that his strange choice got attention of who gave it to him.

Also they mentioned that different skill levels were for different style, maybe he just much rather put a lot of his points into his sword than something something he does not need.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
@ dtm42
If I had to guess why he uses a one handed sword, and leaves one hand free, my guess is that he wants to keep it free so that he can use items easier. Since he fights by himself he has to rely on himself for any support, better for him to be used to fighting with one weapon, then have to shift his fighting style. He needs to keep himself quick and flexible, chances are that his strange choice got attention of who gave it to him.

This makes a lot of sense, as when he's fighting solo - and thus has no one to cover for him while doing an equipment switch or drawing an item - the extra second or two to get rid of a shield could make a big difference. My other thought on this is that he probably does normally dual-wield when he's soloing but was trying to avoid doing it in front of others unless he absolutely had to. (That neatly explains his behavior in the middle of the fight and is consistent with his comments at the end.)

dtm42 wrote:
Speaking about the guy, what happened to his healing rate? As seen in episode four he can regenerate a little over four percent of his health every second but in this episode his health is static.

I had forgotten about that, but you do have a point here. Careless oversight?

Quote:
Kirito was sure quick to agree to the fight. If he was an actual loner he could have simply told the commander that he's not forcing Asuna to do anything. But oh no, this supposedly attention-avoiding loner readily agreed to a fight with the leader of the most powerful guild in the game.

As others have pointed out, Kirito may be a loner but he still has a gamer's pride (which, as Polycell elaborated on, also probably explains Corvatz's stupid decision involving the Liberation Army, as both history and anime have well-established that being in life-or-death situations doesn't necessarily take pride out of the equation). Doubtless Heathcliff knew that, and unlike the bodyguard-wannabe, this is a carefully calculated risk on his part. Of course, this could also partly be a matter of Kirito just wanting to play the gallant knight for his lady and give her a less stressful way to step out for a while.

Quote:
Heck, Kirito still uses the same outfit that he got back in episode two.

Yeah, this has been bugging me, too, especially since the other recurring characters (i.e. Asuna and Klein) have clearly been shown to have substantially upgraded their equipment over time. But the cloak is a unique item (possibly the first to show up in the game, in fact?), so this could be looked at either as a "gamer's pride" issue or as Kirito having developed his signature look earlier than anyone else.

Quote:
But as silly as the episode was, that fight was so freaking awesome.

Gods, yes. I can't think of an action sequence I've seen in the past year which gave me as much of a chill as that one. In fact, I watched Crunchyroll's stream of the episode once it finally came up last night in addition to rewatching my fansub a couple of times, so I've probably seen that fight four times now - and I don't normally do that, even when I'm in the process of reviewing something. Aside from noting some interesting differences in the way CR and the fansubbers interpreted the dialogue in certain scenes, I also noticed on the rewatch that Klein's guild does, in fact, have a heavy-set guy that one would more typically associate with a hard-core gamer's build (the absence of which we've been lamenting about for quite some time), and spoiler[the brief flash of Sachi calling out to Kirito as he was waking up after the fight, which only reinforces the whole situation as Kirito stepping up to do what he could not manage back in episode 3.] That was a nice touch, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Heathcliff's challenge, there are some other reasons why he might've done it...

For one thing, by challenging Kirito to a duel, he only stands to come out ahead no matter how the duel turns out (so long as it is fought honorably, which I assume it will be).

If Heathcliff wins, he gets Kirito to join his guild, which will increase its already stellar reputation and make it more powerful as well.

If Heathcliff loses, he can be sure that Asuna is with someone that can properly look after her (if he's being a chauvinist). But more importantly, Kirito will be thrust into the spotlight: the guy who defeated the guildleader of the most powerful guild in the game. More people are going to want to interact with him after that, either in a postive or negative sense. He'll have to start interacting with people more, and that might lead to him grouping with more people, which would improve the strength of the Lead Group and thus improve the chances of clearing the game.

If Heathcliff actually is focused on clearing the game (and I believe he is, considering Asuna regards him so highly), then his actions are going to be taken with that goal in mind, and I think that is his primary motivation in challenging Kirito.

Oh, and I almost forgot: regarding the HP regen issue. It is *possible* that he only regens HP like that when he is outside of combat. Now, you may be thinking that he was in combat that one time because people were pounding on him, but in some games, you're only flagged as being in combat when you actually attack something. IIRC, Kirito merely stood there and let the weaklings pound on him for a while, which his auto-recovery more than covered every tick. He only made an (aborted) attack after that when the woman got snide. But... most likely it was an oversight. Razz

Gah, I keep remembering things after I post: Key, I thought the fight was pretty nice, but the fight between Gon and Hisoka in the arena was *very* nice, IMO.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Speaking about the guy, what happened to his healing rate? As seen in episode four he can regenerate a little over four percent of his health every second but in this episode his health is static.

I had forgotten about that, but you do have a point here. Careless oversight?

Don't see the mistake here. I'm not a gamer but I think more powerful opponents do more damage to HP with each strike. That's why the player has to be a certain level before they can reasonably engage them.

Kirito and Asuna knew they were in real danger. That's why they ran the first time they saw the guy.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy,

I think they were referring to how after the fight was over, Kirito's HP seemed to stay at sliver for some time after the fight was over, when if they were being consistant, his HP should have been shown to be recovering at whatever rate was appropriate (I think it was 4% of total HP per tick). This doesn't seem to have happened.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This was a silly episode.

First of all players can apparently get physically tired and out-of-breath in the game. We had an idiot army getting in over their heads; could that leader have been any more stupid? How did he survive for two years? Once again Asuna becomes weak and ineffectual around Kirito. Speaking about the guy, what happened to his healing rate? As seen in episode four he can regenerate a little over four percent of his health every second but in this episode his health is static. Kirito was sure quick to agree to the fight. If he was an actual loner he could have simply told the commander that he's not forcing Asuna to do anything. But oh no, this supposedly attention-avoiding loner readily agreed to a fight with the leader of the most powerful guild in the game. That's sure to be

Also, Kirito had a previously-unmentioned power which is - gasp - duel-wielding. Is that not the most amazing power ever?* It is supposed to explain why he doesn't use a shield, but there's a couple of problems. If the power was the big reason stopping him from using a shield, he could use a shield when using one sword then swap the shield out when equipping the second sword. It's not like the game forces players to use the same equipment loadout for the entire battle, yet we never see players mixing it up. Heck, Kirito still uses the same outfit that he got back in episode two. Then there's the problem of how he's been fighting for two years and only had the power for six months, so why didn't he use a shield before he got the power? But hey, maybe Asuna got it wrong and he just values speed and agility over armour rating (hence a lack of shield).

you get alot of things wrong. He never like to use shield, it has nothing to do with his new skill. Some people just don't like to use shield, dude. His healing power is 10secs for 600HP, not 4%. It means nothing in a boss fight when you lose 5000HP in one hit.

He is not using the same equipment that he got from eps.
Go watch ep2, ep 4, ep9, he upgraded/changed his armor. Those are three different armors. Do you even watch the anime?

He like black color armors that's all. heck, his armor some ep is black and blue. ep 9 is total black.

How is Asuna becomes weak and ineffectual around Kirito? mind to explain?

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I took the healing technique to be more of a meditative technique, meaning like when he used it earlier, he has to remain stationary to use it. A skill that anyone could use to heal a good chunk of their health passively while fighting seems like it would break the balance of the game.

As for the outfit, I'm not really sure if this qualifies as a spoiler or not because they might not even go over it in the show but spoiler[ They have different levels of armor with the same design so if you find something you like the look of, you can keep using a variant of it throughout the game. I believe they say its like his 4th or 5th set of armor that looks exactly the same as his first. ]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
(I think it was 4% of total HP per tick). This doesn't seem to have happened.

If true then if your HP is 1, you will get .04 HP per tick. If you HP is 50, you will get 2 HP per tick. So the more healthy you are the faster you regenerate. In other words it is a non-linear effect.

If you are way down and not taking any more hits, you will recover but it would be like watching the hour hand on a clock move.

Consistent with the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 274