• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Speaking about the guy, what happened to his healing rate? As seen in episode four he can regenerate a little over four percent of his health every second but in this episode his health is static.

I had forgotten about that, but you do have a point here. Careless oversight?

Don't see the mistake here. I'm not a gamer but I think more powerful opponents do more damage to HP with each strike. That's why the player has to be a certain level before they can reasonably engage them.

Kirito and Asuna knew they were in real danger. That's why they ran the first time they saw the guy.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy,

I think they were referring to how after the fight was over, Kirito's HP seemed to stay at sliver for some time after the fight was over, when if they were being consistant, his HP should have been shown to be recovering at whatever rate was appropriate (I think it was 4% of total HP per tick). This doesn't seem to have happened.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This was a silly episode.

First of all players can apparently get physically tired and out-of-breath in the game. We had an idiot army getting in over their heads; could that leader have been any more stupid? How did he survive for two years? Once again Asuna becomes weak and ineffectual around Kirito. Speaking about the guy, what happened to his healing rate? As seen in episode four he can regenerate a little over four percent of his health every second but in this episode his health is static. Kirito was sure quick to agree to the fight. If he was an actual loner he could have simply told the commander that he's not forcing Asuna to do anything. But oh no, this supposedly attention-avoiding loner readily agreed to a fight with the leader of the most powerful guild in the game. That's sure to be

Also, Kirito had a previously-unmentioned power which is - gasp - duel-wielding. Is that not the most amazing power ever?* It is supposed to explain why he doesn't use a shield, but there's a couple of problems. If the power was the big reason stopping him from using a shield, he could use a shield when using one sword then swap the shield out when equipping the second sword. It's not like the game forces players to use the same equipment loadout for the entire battle, yet we never see players mixing it up. Heck, Kirito still uses the same outfit that he got back in episode two. Then there's the problem of how he's been fighting for two years and only had the power for six months, so why didn't he use a shield before he got the power? But hey, maybe Asuna got it wrong and he just values speed and agility over armour rating (hence a lack of shield).

you get alot of things wrong. He never like to use shield, it has nothing to do with his new skill. Some people just don't like to use shield, dude. His healing power is 10secs for 600HP, not 4%. It means nothing in a boss fight when you lose 5000HP in one hit.

He is not using the same equipment that he got from eps.
Go watch ep2, ep 4, ep9, he upgraded/changed his armor. Those are three different armors. Do you even watch the anime?

He like black color armors that's all. heck, his armor some ep is black and blue. ep 9 is total black.

How is Asuna becomes weak and ineffectual around Kirito? mind to explain?

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I took the healing technique to be more of a meditative technique, meaning like when he used it earlier, he has to remain stationary to use it. A skill that anyone could use to heal a good chunk of their health passively while fighting seems like it would break the balance of the game.

As for the outfit, I'm not really sure if this qualifies as a spoiler or not because they might not even go over it in the show but spoiler[ They have different levels of armor with the same design so if you find something you like the look of, you can keep using a variant of it throughout the game. I believe they say its like his 4th or 5th set of armor that looks exactly the same as his first. ]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
(I think it was 4% of total HP per tick). This doesn't seem to have happened.

If true then if your HP is 1, you will get .04 HP per tick. If you HP is 50, you will get 2 HP per tick. So the more healthy you are the faster you regenerate. In other words it is a non-linear effect.

If you are way down and not taking any more hits, you will recover but it would be like watching the hour hand on a clock move.

Consistent with the story.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
(I think it was 4% of total HP per tick). This doesn't seem to have happened.

If true then if your HP is 1, you will get .04 HP per tick. If you HP is 50, you will get 2 HP per tick. So the more healthy you are the faster you regenerate. In other words it is a non-linear effect.

If you are way down and not taking any more hits, you will recover but it would be like watching the hour hand on a clock move.

Consistent with the story.

No no no. I said "total HP per tick". Total, not current. The rate you regain your HP scales as you level, but the time it takes to regain your HP would remain constant: if you're down to 5% of your health, it will take the same amount of time to regain your full HP at level 50 as at level 1. I don't know any MMO uses your current HP to determine your regen rate. If they did it that way, it would take forever to get your HPs back up, and grinding with level-appropriate mobs would be impossible.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Considering the regen effect I don't remember what was said about it in that episode, but there are several ways to resolve this problem.

1) It might be that the regen came from some item (that he has since discarded) instead of the stats.

2) It's possible that the regen ability doesn't level up proportionally to hp increase. If he has huge amounts of hp, the regen might not have a visible effect on his hp bar anymore.

3) You might not give a damn and focus more on the fact that he killed a raid boss almost on his own. That's Rolling Eyes -worthy even if he's massively overleveled since in a normal mmo he would need an endgame gear and a tank build or kiting ability to even have a chance. Doesn't seem there's a lot of healing going on in this game either since there's no magic, only consumables.

Last edited by jl07045 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure it's just a flat amount based on his skill level with the Battle Healing skill. Either way though, based on the numbers he gave back in episode 4 it's a completely useless amount that you wouldn't even notice in a boss fight. I suppose it would prevent him from staying at 1 HP after the fight was over though. I guess that's an animation flub.

Key wrote:
Yeah, this has been bugging me, too, especially since the other recurring characters (i.e. Asuna and Klein) have clearly been shown to have substantially upgraded their equipment over time. But the cloak is a unique item (possibly the first to show up in the game, in fact?), so this could be looked at either as a "gamer's pride" issue or as Kirito having developed his signature look earlier than anyone else.

The cloak changes its design a bit in almost every episode (the exception being the episodes with no time skip between them). It's not the same cloak he got in episode 2. He just keep getting new, presumably higher level, cloaks.

Klein and Asuna also have signature "styles" that doesn't change despite the details changing. Klein has reddish samurai-style armor and Asuna has her white and red thing.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Pretty sure it's just a flat amount based on his skill level with the Battle Healing skill. Either way though, based on the numbers he gave back in episode 4 it's a completely useless amount that you wouldn't even notice in a boss fight. I suppose it would prevent him from staying at 1 HP after the fight was over though. I guess that's an animation flub.

not really. it looks like you are the only one who watched ep 4. Remember it's 600HP/10secs. He only passed out for few secs. we don't if his HP recovered a little before and after the pass out sense.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
. . . crystals are expensive. . .

Can you list the price of an average crystal? I assume that Kirito is semi-wealthy in the game. IIRC, it is implied he has ~4m col... Somewhere around there; I estimated the amount from his comment when he visited Asuna's POH.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
jl07045,

I agree that effectively soloing a level-appropriate boss is pretty absurd. I don't know how much the army guys took off the boss or how much Klein and Asuna helped, but it seems like Kirito did the majority of it all on his own. I did notice that the others were able to pull aggro a few times (when the boss turned around), but still... that just seems pretty crazy.

I'd have to say that for Kirito to do that *at all* means he's pretty OP. But, it was fun to watch, and I guess I should beware applying too much real MMO stuff to a LN/anime.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
jl07045,

I agree that effectively soloing a level-appropriate boss is pretty absurd. I don't know how much the army guys took off the boss or how much Klein and Asuna helped, but it seems like Kirito did the majority of it all on his own. I did notice that the others were able to pull aggro a few times (when the boss turned around), but still... that just seems pretty crazy.

I'd have to say that for Kirito to do that *at all* means he's pretty OP. But, it was fun to watch, and I guess I should beware applying too much real MMO stuff to a LN/anime.

it depends on what MMO, I once solo a high level boss(Baphomet) in Ragnarok online that would kill me in two hits.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
My opinion on the fact that his health didn't regen after the fight - that was an accidental plot hole. They probably forgot about it or just decided to ignore it for this particular fight to increase the drama. They wanted to have that moment afterwards where Kirito passes out (heroes always pass out after expending their super god-mode or "NOOOO" ability). Also, he couldn't joke abou Asuna hugging him to death if he didn't have like 1 HP left. This was the anime creators just being forgetful or lazy IMO.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The sudden screaming of the Army guys means that either they were being whipped from the get-go(in which case Kirito's one BAMF) or the change in tactics for the last health bar knocked them fatally off balance. Unless a novel reader chimes in with an answer, I think it'd be better to assume the later.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
you get alot of things wrong. He never like to use shield, it has nothing to do with his new skill.

I simply wondered why he would leave a hand free. Others have said that it allows him to access the menu, but then I wonder how other players access the menu?

Spotlesseden wrote:
His healing power is 10secs for 600HP, not 4%. It means nothing in a boss fight when you lose 5000HP in one hit.

Okay, so I got that wrong. But I was referring to why he wasn't healing at the end of the battle.

Spotlesseden wrote:
He is not using the same equipment that he got from eps.
Go watch ep2, ep 4, ep9, he upgraded/changed his armor. Those are three different armors.

I see that you are correct. I don't have a good eye for things like that, which is why I didn't notice.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 274