• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Gets New Project & Anime Compilation Film Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't actively asking for a sequel, but I am also not instinctively rejecting it. Shouldn't we wait and see in order to confirm what is going to be the premise before jumping to conclusions? And even then, it's possible they might come up with a weak excuse for Lelouch to be present and yet still manage to use him in an interesting way later.

Scherzo wrote:
I have... mixed feelings about the show in general. Though I'd love to see is Ozymandias ass plan go up in smoke, but I doubt they'd address Lelouch's plan in anything other than glowing terms. How Code Geass did characterization is... problematic to me.

We really don't know that yet. I think the fact they are going to make a sequel, one way or another, indicates they will find a way for Lelouch's plan to be either imperfect or at least made irrelevant in light of new conflicts. The three compilation movies will also shed some initial light on that, I imagine.

I'd also tend to disagree about that last part though, at least when it comes to preemptive judgement. Characterization is, in various ways, a matter of interpretation. But even the original show had its significant share of moments indicating that Lelouch was not perfect nor flawless, so there would be nothing wrong with the story celebrating his best intentions and yet also acknowledging they weren't enough of a solution for the world.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly did not expect to see any other anime set after R2 in the main timeline that wasn't a spinoff with different characters, that ending was pretty definitive spoiler[whether you believed he was dead or alive.] However, now they basically spoiler[confirmed he is indeed alive, which makes me happy. Still I hope he remains "dead" to the rest of the world still though, otherwise it would kinda ruin R2's ending.]

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
The return of the GOAT! My one wish was to correct the mistakes of the past in R2, so if the new scenes in the R2 part of the movie try to do that then I'm fine with it(I'm not getting hopeful). A sequel? YES! As much as I love Taniguchi, considering he said spoiler[where Lelouch's body went to after ZR] all those years ago, how is he going to make this work since spoiler[Lelouch is going to be the MC]. Also, making Lelouch x spoiler[Kallen] happen. As long as that happens then everything will be perfect. She better not end up with spoiler[Dino] or else I will be pissed as fock. That has been my one fear since R2 ended.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I felt to me it was it was the show lionizing his worst qualities while sidelining his flaws. He dies feeling like he committed some act of contrition getting the world to hate him, when it's really an escape from his own emotional responsibilities. Like I get why he's popular, I was an angsty teen once too, but it feels very hollow to me. I think the most genuinely human moment Lelouch had is when it dawns on him how badly he'd fucked up in Cornelia Attacks.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree that R2's ending, while emotionally charged and moving, has always been frustratingly stupid to me. Lelouch's character has always been compared to Death Note's Light Yagami except spoiler[DN always framed Light as a psychopath while Lelouch was usually framed as a misunderstood, tortured soul], making the comparison silly imo.

If a third season can actually address all the problems with R2's ending (which it should considering the fact this season exists contrary to the "neat little bow" R2 wrapped up on). then I'll be satisfied.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
TBH, it'd be pretty cathartic to me to see Lelouch's 'new world' fall apart.

Btw has anyone photoshoped Trump's face onto Charles yet? #MakeBritanniaGreatAgain
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
2, DUB? The dub for this show was great, will they be able to get all the VAs back and have a good director? I think some of them are union, which means that it would be imposable with Funi, who sadly will end up dubbing it. Unless by some miracle Sunrise handle the dub like they have done with some Gundam shows.

They have done union dubs in the past when needed (see Tenchi Muyo OVA 3, Slayers seasons 4-5, Hellsing Ultimate 5-10, the Bayonetta movie and most recently with Yuki-chan's broadcast dub) so this should be no problem....except we still haven't heard anything about Akito the Exiled so the dub for this new series might fully depend on how FUNi handles Akito.

Well aside from Lelouch, Suzaku, and C.C., all the characters in Akito are new and therefore do not have pre-assigned dub voice actors, meaning cast preservation is not a major issue. This would allow FUNimation to utilize their local Texas-based voice actors to play these roles. Johnny Yong Bosch who plays Lelouch also works with FUNimation frequently so getting him back wouldn't be difficult. Suzaku and C.C., on the other hand, are a different story and probably would be re-casted with local Texas-based voice actors.

However since this new Code Geass series implies that many of the characters from the original series will be returning, FUNimation could do a California-based, union-only dub to ensure cast preservation.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this new series is a betrayal of the original ending. I just hope they can find a way to work around it that doesn't just stomp all over that epic sacrifice/atonement. Might have to just pretend this doesn't exist at all. Geass was always ridiculous, but it had a moral core and some themes that I really dug. If they invalidate that, this is going to really suck for me. Sad
JokinBoy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH!!!!
ONE OF MY FAVORITE ANIME!!!
FINALLY AFTER ALL THIS TIME!!!

WOOHOO
EXCITED!!!!!
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Could it be that they may do that R2 remake with the movies? I mean, new scenes are confirmed and the cast is re-recording their lines.
I'm guessing that R3 will come out after the movies. I hope all movies come out next year.

I think the original ending was perfect, but I can't help being excited about more Lelouch. It better be good!
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
THANK GOD YES! I just hope it doesnt look like the awful OVA with the CGI crap...
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Dang this just made the rest of the year for me.

finally getting solid confirmation that he spoiler[survived] is incredible but I can see why some fans would be miffed that he didn'tspoiler[ die at the end of r2]
That said I can totally get behind him watching over the 'new' world he created and 'guiding' it from the shadows opposed to how he commanded as zero and his emperor phase

That said I'm looking at this(very) hopefully.
It's far too easy to make a sequel that is absolutely horrendous (looking at you psycho pass) but making an unplanned sequel requires a lot of thought, planning and effort.
Although I can't say if s3 was entirely unplanned or not. Certain plot points were never explained and one of the biggest mysteries(for me anyway) was C.C. real name.
I'm also really curious as to the format, will it be 25-26 episodes, 12-13 episodes or maybe even *shudder* an OVA with 5 episodes released sporadically?
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Well so much spoiler[for the insistance that he died] way back then, after all the effort they went into confirming that.

Still, pretty cool that they're making a sequel series, even though the announcement took until the end of the tenth anniversery.

Though hopefully, they finally cover C.C.'s real name and not just skip over it like what happened with R2.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, for me anyway, it'd be hard for them to completely mess this up, so I am looking forward to it a reasonable amount. spoiler[Lelouch not being dead] could be accomplished so many ways it's not even that big a surprise to me. I do think they should, and will have to, delve deeper into the mythos surrounding Geass, but I wouldn't expect too much, since they've avoided it thus far, and I doubt they'll spend too much time away from their action-based inclinations to become a meditative piece on the ins and outs of some supernatural power.

I'm gonna guess this new anime, if in TV format, will focus on the "after the revolution aspect"; how the world changes, or doesn't, after a revolution, and how those folks who fought for change handle the change they brought about - much in the way the original focused on the "fight for the revolution" and how many people and ideas get swept up in the ambitions of revolutionaries seeking to overthrow the system. If it's a movie, they'd either be relegated to a cursory overview of such a story, or focus more on a single event and try to have it act as a broader allegory for a similar message.

I think there is more risk of the effort being underwhelming as a movie than as an OVA or series. They'll probably have more budget for an impressive visual experience as a movie, but in terms of story it will probably be limited. I guess you can say I don't have the confidence they can compress a compelling story for the Geass world into a single 90-min. or so movie. Not saying they couldn't make an entertaining movie, just that it has a greater likelihood of falling short of the impact seen with the original series.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
While Akito was certainly interesting and visually incedible, I hope they don't reference it too much. I liked Leila as a character but her powers were atrocious from a storytelling perspective, literally have no limits and doing anything the plot needed (and doesn't violate one of her principles or have any moral reason not to use, unlike the original series' versions). It just made things messy. The original series certainly wasn't always realistic but it was a heckuva rollercoaster and quite entertaining. This nearly rendered Akito niether.
But then, Noein Had the exact same problem, so maybe it's just an Akane thing).

But enough complaining, I can't wait for more info on what appears to be R3. R2 has one of the greatest endings I've seen for any medium and I could ramble on a while on what made it so great. The writers will have a tough time not ruining it, and it won't be quite as powerful without the ambiguity (the main reason I never read Verne's "Mysterious Islands," I didn't want to find out Nemo's ultimate fate because I felt it'd ruin "20,000 League"'s ending). Still, hopefully we'll get another epic saga with maybe less network meddling this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7