• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Shame And Atonement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
which in my case is the biggest case of overreaction in history. i watched the fansubs of that ep during that time and again when pieces of it showed on youtube and nothing happened. the same thing happened when others watched that ep on youtube before the big n went all copyright violation on the people that uploaded it.

i got no seizure nor did any of the kids my sister was babysitting. its pretty obvious that western audience have a bigger tolerance to those lights that the japaneese kids saw so while i can understand why it would be banned in japan, there is no reason at all that ep should also be banned in the US shores. the same goes with the team rocket vs team plasma ep .

Do you have epilepsy? Not just anyone can get triggered by watching something, it's only people with epilepsy. Also an internet stream of the episode isn't at a very high resolution or bitrate compared to watching it on TV to begin with.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Quote:
I hadn't even noticed that the little "please watch this anime in a well-lit room and sit far away from the TV" warning isn't coming up anymore, but now that I think about it, I can't remember the last show I saw that had it.

I seem to recall Natsu from Fairy Tail giving this warning at the beginning of episodes not too long ago. I don't know if this was kept for home video releases though.
It was. Funimation even dubbed them for the international release
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
First is in regards to Chage and Aska. If you do something wrong and you don't have the right connections, then you will be blacklisted, your CD's pulled from the shelves and you can't even back onto TV again. This happened to NoriPi but the funny thing was when Kusanagi of SMAP was arrested for being drunk in public, Johnny's swept that under the rug in no time, since SMAP is one of their biggest cash cows.

For the Pokemon episode, I remember being in Japan as a kid and actually watched that episode when it aired. About ten minutes after the episode ended they had the news on with footage of kids being in the hospital being checked up about the epilepsy thing. My mom had to explain to us what exactly happened, though me and my brother didn't get the symptoms that all those other kids had. Interesting, but unfortunately that Porygon suffered from all that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Isn't another reason western fans aren't seeing the "please watch in a well-lit room, 3 metres from the TV" warning anymore being that western fans are more and more opting to watch legal streams instead of taped-off-Japanese-television fansubs?

(I'm not saying that the warnings aren't in decline on Japanese TV, but, if I can watch legal streams for free, I'm not going to see the anti-seizure warnings from the Japanese TV broadcast scrolling at the bottom of the screen.)

Pretty sure that's the reason we don't see them. New Pokemon episodes a while ago still had the text on the screen, at least the premieres on TV Tokyo.

As for creative ones... I recall first Garo season having ones animated and narrated by Hironobu Kageyama's Zaruba. They are on selected episodes on T-N fansub, if i recall corectly.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

There's quite a number of Pokemon that are essentially banned from ever appearing in the anime ever again. Along with Porygon and it's evolutions, there's Rougela (Jynx) and Yungerer (Kadabra) being the two most noticable ones. Both stem from international complaints about Rougela being a racist characature and Uri Geller trying to sue Nintendo for saying Yungerer was based on him.

Jynx has appeared multiple times since the "blackface" outcry, but in it's modern purple colouration. Older episodes that featured the black incarnation have also been edited to change the colour to purple. Kadabra was never banned from the anime, it just hasn't appeared for a while. One had a role in a late AG episode, around the time PUSA took over from 4Kids. Middle stages in general tend to miss out; there's a preference to show the cute first form, and the tough final form. IIRC, it's the TCG that Kadabra has essentially been exiled from.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
which in my case is the biggest case of overreaction in history. i watched the fansubs of that ep during that time and again when pieces of it showed on youtube and nothing happened. the same thing happened when others watched that ep on youtube before the big n went all copyright violation on the people that uploaded it.

i got no seizure nor did any of the kids my sister was babysitting. its pretty obvious that western audience have a bigger tolerance to those lights that the japaneese kids saw so while i can understand why it would be banned in japan, there is no reason at all that ep should also be banned in the US shores. the same goes with the team rocket vs team plasma ep .

Well, this is certainly one of the more ignorant comments I've had the pleasure of reading lately. Comedic gold. Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
I haven't read all the comments so sorry if it's already been mentioned but...
Quote:
I hadn't even noticed that the little "please watch this anime in a well-lit room and sit far away from the TV" warning isn't coming up anymore, but now that I think about it, I can't remember the last show I saw that had it.

They still have them. I think it's because people are watching official overseas streams that the notice doesn't show up, but they still do have them on Japanese broadcasts, though perhaps mainly on TV Tokyo. Other stations have a "don't illegally distribute this online" warning.
Mgellis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Rizelmine used the warning messages; I think it aired in 2002. It was an extremely silly show and actually used the warning as an opportunity for humor, showing the female characters in scanty clothing and having them say things like, "You're too close!" Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Do you have epilepsy? Not just anyone can get triggered by watching something, it's only people with epilepsy. Also an internet stream of the episode isn't at a very high resolution or bitrate compared to watching it on TV to begin with.

of course i dont have that. also it might be the case, however a majority of people who have seen it on Youtube while it was still there also agreed that it was a complete overreaction. i mean they completely changed the entire plasma storyline and that rocket gang vs plasma gang eps are probably now in the banned eps list. sure its cause of that earthquake and tsunami, but it definitely didn't have anything to do in the western markets and should have at least been showed in the US. i mean they did showed the sunken ship ep which is a good thing, but to ban an ep cause of a small circumstances definitely will leave a bad taste to some people.especially since their really trying to give the series another chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I didn't know Pokemon stuff were removed from video stores in Japan after the incident. Also as Justin said, there hasn't been a incident for 15 years so that's why the warning is no longer there (unless another incident happen again).

The only Pokemon stuff that even existed in video stores were two rental VHSes containing respectively episode 1-3 and 4-6 of the show. They weren't temporarily pulled to not offend victims, though - rather, they were pulled and replaced with new VHSes containing redone versions of these episodes, edited according to the new standards. And of course, all future releases of episode 1-6 and all releases of episode 7-37 period would contain such edited episodes rather than the version that had aired on TV.

Also,
Quote:
In case you're interested, 4Kids did dub that episode (and slowed down the flashing to make sure it wouldn't cause a problem) but Nintendo insisted that it not be released again. It hasn't seen the light of day since.

There's no proof that happened beyond some contradictory statements from some people involved with the dub and it seems unlikely they ever received the episode at all.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Though I'm still surprised there isn't a Harry Potter anime by now.

J. K. Rowling is one of the most controlling authors in the world. Every single aspect of the Harry Potter theme park at Universal Studios Orlando had to be cleared by her, right down to what beverages could be sold there. If I ran an anime studio, I'd want nothing to do with Rowling and Potter.

gloverrandal wrote:
Do you have epilepsy? Not just anyone can get triggered by watching something, it's only people with epilepsy.

And only certain forms of epilepsy. My particular version of the disease only occurs while sleeping. I have never reacted to flashing lights or any other visual stimulus.

As for drug usage, the original OP for Hyouge Mono, the song "Bowl Man" by the group cro-magnon, was pulled by NHK soon after one of the band's members was arrested for marijuana possession. Sadly that excellent and catchy song was replaced with an entirely forgettable instrumental. Luckily the remarkable samba-flavored ED, "Kizuna," on which the band collaborated, was spared the axe presumably because the band itself did not perform the song. The band returned from the wilderness with a "best-of" CD release in 2012 after a litany of apologies. They released another album, V, last summer.

I didn't know until today that cro-magnon had collaborated with Otani Ko on the score for the series itself. Perhaps that explains why the OST for Hyouge Mono has never been released.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
There's no proof that happened beyond some contradictory statements from some people involved with the dub and it seems unlikely they ever received the episode at all.

In a Q&A that the late Maddie Blaustein did once on Serebi Forums, she said she did specifically remember recording the episode as Meowth (it was one of the very first she did), but it still wasn't allowed to be shown anyway.

Maddie Blaustein wrote:
I don't think they will ever show it ---but we did dub it. And it didn't give any of US seizures Smile

Someone even pointed out that them dubbing it was an urban myth, to which she responded:

Maddie Blaustein wrote:
1) We did --I saw it --didn't have a siezure Smile

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?116935-Ask-Maddie-Blaustein-Q-amp-A-with-Meowth/page29
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?116935-Ask-Maddie-Blaustein-Q-amp-A-with-Meowth/page30&s=b0c7292344bbdb76ef8c6a2f243eb64f
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

The only Pokemon stuff that even existed in video stores were two rental VHSes containing respectively episode 1-3 and 4-6 of the show. They weren't temporarily pulled to not offend victims, though - rather, they were pulled and replaced with new VHSes containing redone versions of these episodes, edited according to the new standards. And of course, all future releases of episode 1-6 and all releases of episode 7-37 period would contain such edited episodes rather than the version that had aired on TV.

Yes, I'm probably aware of that and that would make sense to prevent any more seizure incident. I can understand why they did that and I would've done the same if I was in their shoe.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

In a Q&A that the late Maddie Blaustein did once on Serebi Forums, she said she did specifically remember recording the episode as Meowth (it was one of the very first she did), but it still wasn't allowed to be shown anyway.

Maddie Blaustein wrote:
I don't think they will ever show it ---but we did dub it. And it didn't give any of US seizures Smile

Someone even pointed out that them dubbing it was an urban myth, to which she responded:

Maddie Blaustein wrote:
1) We did --I saw it --didn't have a siezure Smile

OK so either the seizure thing only effect Japanese kids. Has there been any report of "Pokemon Shock" seizure outside of Japan like in another Asian countries (ie: South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore) that's been caused by that episode prior to the ban? If there's no incident of it, then there must be a genetic predisposition to seizure and bright light color on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
OK so either the seizure thing only effect Japanese kids. Has there been any report of "Pokemon Shock" seizure outside of Japan like in another Asian countries (ie: South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore) that's been caused by that episode prior to the ban? If there's no incident of it, then there must be a genetic predisposition to seizure and bright light color on TV.

If so, why do American video games like Ratchet & Clank contain a similar disclaimer that appears at the start of each game in the series? Maybe a better explanation is that the episode in question was either not released or released in an edited form after its original run on Japanese television.

Also from Justin's description it sounds like Japanese parents and schools wildly overreacted to what might have been just a few incidents of actual seizures caused by viewing that particular episode.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
It's not just anime. Here in the UK every news story piece that has flash photography in its vision is given a warning to the audience by the news presenter before it is shown, but to date whether anyone has been affected by looking at flash photography images on video is not known. However I know of a work coleague who could not look at the production stack monitors if a feed was breaking up and flashing during alignment of sat signal carrier. She would have leave the gallery until it was stable, poor woman. we would always have to warn her in advance before assigning an Outside Source (OS).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6