• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: As CW's Vortexx Block Disappears, So Does Saturday Morning Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
So sad, I remember catching that yugi vs guy with fake exodia cards duel on a saturday morning...now I wait for the death of "reality" tv...please wake up people...that stuff is pure s***.

He was a Rare Hunter, and yeah, all reality has is nothing but very emotional stuff.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Back in the 80's we had the "Saturday Supercade".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmfT-YPXo4M
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
KH91 wrote:
As a young child, my Saturday mornings began with KidsWB and Foxkids(Also, on ABC with Megaman, Sonic, etc., but my mains were KWB and Fkids). I remember Power Rangers(MMPR and after), Spiderman, The Tick, X-Men, Carmen San Diego, Digimon(FoxKids even had a Digi-bowl for 1 day), etc. on FoxKids while I watched all the Warner shows, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Megaman, Xaolin Showdown, etc. on KidsWB. The list can just go on and on. I couldnt choose between the two until Foxkids ended.

I remember when they were both on the weekdays, and I would rush home after school finished so I wouldnt miss anything. I remember when FoxKids stopped showing on the weekdays(I later found Digimon airing on UPN by luck), then KidsWB became my #1 favorite after school(not including Toonami since thats cable). I remember when Pokemon aired on the weekdays...from Indigo to Hoenn. I remember when Yu-Gi-Oh! aired on the weekdays. They showed new episodes(and mainly just caught up to the newer episodes that showed on Saturday). They had Dungeon Dice Monsters week, etc. The afternoon block unfortunately ended.

I remember when FoxKids was ending, and they showed all those commercials about the FoxBox coming. Then when it came, it showed shows like Ultraman and Ultimate Muscle(wasnt used to them at first, but they grew on me). Shaman King was the best from the block. Sonic X was good(at least what my young pre-teen self thought). I didn't like it as much as Foxkids. I do remember that "Rocketman" segment till this day.

I remember when Pokemon moved to Cartoonnetwork. There was a feeling of sadness because when I watched the first CN Pokemon episode, there was no epic opening song, and the voices changed. That was a big WTF. Then skip to 2006, Yugioh ended days before I graduated junior high. That hit me hard(because GX aired on CN in fall 2005, and it sucked to me). At the time, I stopped watching Fox, due to 4KidsTV. I knew what shows aired on it, but NOPE! I watched it sometimes from when it started in 05-06, but it was rarely. I do remember that one week when Mew Mew Power and The Batman had the same episode title called "A knight to remember(The Batman)" and "A night to remember(Mew Mew Power)". That summer after Yugioh ended, Yugioh Capsule Monsters aired, but I had already watched the episodes online before(Golden and olden days of Youtube).

Then came the last day of KidsWB, it ended with Megaman(if I recall), and that was it...I stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons for good. I was only in my 1st semester of high school at the age of 13(I was already watching anime on Youtube in 05). I still checked once every couple months to see the changes afterwards so I could be up-to-date. Skip to 2014, I saw a livestream of the last day of Vortexx with Yugioh Zexal. I felt something(nostalgia), yet at the same time, I felt nothing(gave no F's for Vortexx). I simply said "It's over," and recalled the good old days.

I can't believe I typed all this. Must have been the kid in me wanting to turn back time.

Sorry to point this out, but you spelled "Xiaolin" wrong. Mega Man: NT Warrior ended in the U.S. in 2005; the final show aired on Kids' WB! was Eon Kid. Power Rangers and Digimon are still being produced and aired today (a sequel to Digimon Adventure is coming up); Sonic Boom is coming Nov. 8; and, I REALLY hate to say it, but the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise has been weakening for years (if you have Nicktoons, you probably know they never really wanted to air it in the first place. Back in Jan. 2013, they delayed it for 2 months; the longest delay for any show Nicktoons has aired. Now, after more than a month, they've taken ZEXAL off weekdays. They might as well take THAT off their lineup completely, as well). CN premieres of Pokemon DID debut in 2006, and it's still ongoing. At the time, my then-WB and now-CW affiliate WBNX had both Kids' WB! and its replacements (on Sundays and then Saturdays in addition to weekdays) and Fox Kids and ITS replacements (on Sat. and then Sun. in addition to weekdays).

Thank you Professor G. Nazi for pointing out 1 letter...and 1 of many I didn't care about since I know I made errors, and didn't correct anything. Well, I did say "If I recall," so I knew that was iffy. No way...Power Rangers and Digimon are still being produced and aired today? So I wonder what all those Power Rangers(Saban) and Digimon(anime) articles I've been making posts in on this site this year, especially, in the last few months have been about? I have no interest in Sonic Boom nor Sonic in general anymore. Yes, I do know know about Zexal's situation on Nicktoons, but I could care less about Yu-Gi-Oh! outside of Japan(should be obvious why). I admit that I confused you when I said "Then skip to 2006" after mentioning the Pokemon move to CN(It popped up into my head first so I got it out the way), and yes, I know its still ongoing(would be weird if not). The skip was only referring to Yugioh(and as I said, I did not care to correct anything). I thank you for your corrections, except for the meaningless 1 letter I left out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

As a young child, my Saturday mornings began with KidsWB and Foxkids(Also, on ABC with Megaman, Sonic, etc., but my mains were KWB and Fkids). I remember Power Rangers(MMPR and after), Spiderman, The Tick, X-Men, Carmen San Diego, Digimon(FoxKids even had a Digi-bowl for 1 day), etc. on FoxKids while I watched all the Warner shows, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Megaman, Xaolin Showdown, etc. on KidsWB. The list can just go on and on. I couldnt choose between the two until Foxkids ended.

That's why ya watch some shows live while program-videotaping the other shows to watch later! (Yeah I did that, me smart. Cool )

Just-another-face wrote:
ichii_1 wrote:

I know what ruined it, SH!TTY DUBS! (95%) their pronunciation is horrible and they're getting paid for this, they should be in jail.

Please, just stop talking. Anime hyper

Plus that's not even a reason - Sat morning people couldn't care less about that. In fact, some of those helped save Sat AM for a few more years.

ReNellGlover wrote:
kanechin wrote:

So sad, I remember catching that yugi vs guy with fake exodia cards duel on a saturday morning...now I wait for the death of "reality" tv...please wake up people...that stuff is pure s***.

He was a Rare Hunter, and yeah, all reality has is nothing but very emotional stuff.

I don't complain too much about reality TV since one man's trash is another man's entertainment - and yeah that includes the animu. (Rather I just make fun of it.)

Anyways, it's also ironic that the FCC E/I mandate helped Sailor Moon be picked up by stations on syndication due to "Sailor Says." Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
I thought Saturday morning cartoons died because of cable, I remember when Cartoon Network came out and you could watch cartoons 12 hours a day.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, it's also ironic that the FCC E/I mandate helped Sailor Moon be picked up by stations on syndication due to "Sailor Says." Laughing

Peggy Charren, who made a pest of herself in the 70's and early toy-toon 80's insisting on the E/I mandate, didn't have a CLUE how it was supposed to be enacted--
Eventually, the restrictions became so undefined, that for years during the early 90's, acceptable children's toons could only be realistic slice-of-life comedies, like Doug, Arthur and Recess.

That didn't kill off network cartoons as effectively as cable did, but it sure got kids looking at other things to do with their weekends.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
acceptable children's toons could only be realistic slice-of-life comedies, like Doug, Arthur and Recess.

But Recess was awesome!
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
KH91 wrote:

That's why ya watch some shows live while program-videotaping the other shows to watch later! (Yeah I did that, me smart. Cool )

I never had that available to me, but it was funny switching channels every other minute to 5 mins due to 1 show I watched on Fox and the other on WB airing at the same time, so I wouldn't miss the whole episode. Besides, I got to watch the rerun on weekdays, so it worked itself out. lol
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
But Recess was awesome!
The movie was a bit out there, though.

What's really amazing is that Arthur's still chugging along in the background; I was kind of surprised to find out Sesame Street wasn't the only surviving children's show from when I was growing up(and now I'm getting more Mister Rodgers feels).
Aurasky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
As someone who grew up in the mid to late 80's, waking up to watch stuff like the real Ghostbusters, the Littles, and other shows, I can't believe no Saturday cartoon are not longer existing in any of the major broadcast networks in my lifetime. However, with the expansion of cable TV and streaming, I am not surprise because back then when I was a child, you only had 3 networks. Those 3 networks provided that Saturday morning cartoons because they wanted to not only hook the kids with shows but also with advertisement. That is what it comes down to, if the advertisement value is not there, then why brother. Now that you got other options, why get up early when its on-demand or a channel like Disney DX, that is where the sponsors are going.

However, what I do miss was the dedication in waking up early to catch the shows after waiting a week. That meant something back then. Oh well.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye Saturday morning cartoons, hello homework. Great way to spend your weekend.

In seriousness, the trend did die over time especially with DVRs, kids taking a break when they get home, and sleeping in.

Also, Nickelodeon is run by retards.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
In Canada all anime on TV has been gone since 2009. And a few months ago YTV even took out Pokemon. So I guess this comes as no surprise to me (or maybe I had the last 5 years to get over it?)

Regardless, I am just grateful that I grew up in the era of Saturday morning cartoons and late night anime programming. This live action sitcom trend never quite clicked with me.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Regardless, I am just grateful that I grew up in the era of Saturday morning cartoons and late night anime programming. This live action sitcom trend never quite clicked with me.

Be glad you never grew up in the mid-70's, when live-action (like the Kroffts and Shazam/Isis) was temporarily cheaper than network Saturday morning cartoons, and Sherwood Schwartz tried making a comeback in Saturday-morning sitcoms.
Oh, and you think it's bad that all current Disney Channel shows look like 80's sitcoms... Shocked
InuKag1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Splitter wrote:
There are so many places you can point fingers on this that it's fairly pointless. I feel grateful and fortunate that I got to grow up in the days of Fox Kids, One Saturday Morning, and Kids WB; three Saturday morning blocks that followed me for nearly my entire childhood. Not every show on the blocks were winners, but it's a little saddening that most kids now will not know the simple joy of waking up at 5 AM, waiting for the test pattern to go away and for the glorious electronic shower of ink and paint to wash over the living room while we cram as much sugary cereal into our stomachs while allowing our minds to be corrupted with the desires to buy Skip-Its, Barbies, and Hot Wheels.

Yes, you can say that the kids cable networks stand in the same position nowadays, but not entirely. What made it special was that you didn't need to have cable to enjoy it and most importantly, it was something you had to wait for, to anticipate, to savor. Yes, there might be an hour of cartoons or so on when you got home from school, but Saturday morning was 5-6 hours of straight cartoons, every week like clockwork. It was amazing, and now it may never be again.

R.I.P. Saturday morning cartoons. You may be gone, but you will not be forgotten.

Oh man, I was a Kids WB girl & a g4techtv girl too. Of course those were the days when saturday mornings were worth getting up... Now I don`t even turn on the tv except on Saturday nights because of toonami.

In my opinion as well, just general cartoons have been watered down because of violence or some other bullcrap. I remember the animainacs, pinky & the brain, The Batman, Batman: TAS, Batman beyond, Freakazoid!, Histeria!, mucha lucha, The new batman/superman adventures, ozzy & drix, static shock, superman: TAS, The Slyvester & Tweety mysteries, teen titans, tiny toon adventures (used to have its game too.) waynehead, whats new scooby doo?, xiaolin showdown, the zeta project, KND, PPG, & Samurai Jack, The all new scooby & scrappy show, captain planet (ew..), scooby doo & scrappy doo, jackie-chan adventures, pokemon, yugioh, CCS, DBZ, Megaman, Sailor Moon, x-men: evolution.

Dude you totally just named all the shows that characterized my life the last 20 years
InuKag1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I could never put into words how this makes me feel so I'll keep it short and sweet: farewell Saturday mornings, it was the best time of my life and I'm so glad I got to be a part of it and I'm gonna miss it more than I could ever say
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5