• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
oops double posted by accident

Last edited by heen on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zewerr wrote:
I loved Basilisk. It was awesome the whole way through. But the ending.....spoiler[why in the hell does EVERYONE have to die! I wish they would have left at least one person alive. JUST ONE!! I DON'T CARE WHO!] Otherwise, it still kicked ass!

Did you see the live action version of the show, Shinobi? spoiler[The ending is a bit different as not everyone dies. Though I liked Shinobi's ending better I found Basalisk's ending to be more appropriate. I mean these clans hated each other beyond what words can say. I found it fitting they all died. I think Oboro taking her own life really showed the depths of her love for Gennouske and him joining her I think was the best way the series could have ended. their deaths could be seen almost as symbolic of them taking their clans hatred with them into death.]
Zewerr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
How interesting. I just added it to my Netflix queue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StaatsFeindNr1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
I think following Animes have disappointing ends

GantZ:
This Anime is one of the best i've ever seen. Around episode 20 (of 26) it started to get totally awesome. So much action and good teamwork between the chars. But in the end all of Kei's friends die one after another in GantZ' mission. And Kei is alone in that horrible boring world of reality. But what bugs me more is the last scene in the last episode.... just some seconds before the time of the mission ends, theres a train and Kei says: PENG.. the screen turns white and nobody knows how it ends. Did he survived or did he died?; NOTHIN. The Manga continues the story at the same section of the last episode but its still disappointing

Great Teacher Onizuka:
This series was interesting from the begining to the end. But in the last episode he just disapears without a Happy End between him and Fuyutsuki or at least his job as Teacher.

DNA²:
OMG in the last episode (without the OVAs) i just had to cry. Karin loves Junta and acts like it would be no problem to leave him. But in her UFO-TimeMachine-Thingie she was cryin and just had to leave him forever. Also the ending of the OVAs isnt less disapointing..

Candidate for Goddess:
spoiler[I watched this series long time ago so it isnt that sad to me now but it would be to everybody else who ends this series about now. ]There are 12 fantastic episodes about a guy with a very big dream. But for some stupid reason the drawer stopped the production of the anime and just brought 1 OVA as last episode out.. there were 26 episodes planned.

FullMetal Alchemist (Movie):
The most of you know that the Movie is also the ending of the story of FMA. Ed and Al are just damn stupid. They had the chance to escape from the nazi-world and keep living in the funny and wonderful alchemists world. I mean its not like that their mom was still living in the nazi world. And also theres no chance that the Nazi world could affect the Alchemists world in any way (after the last gate they opened). AND WHATS WITH WINRY ???? they could at least have kissed or hugged...

Last edited by StaatsFeindNr1 on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Shinjí90

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
Gantz, spoiler[unfinished ending ftl]

Not really a bad ending but one that kinda pissed me off Berserk
heen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
anyone agree Full Moon Wo Sagasite had an awesome ending? Same with Rumbling hearts, i was very satisfied. The ending of Rurouni Kenshin was pretty terrible but the OVA sequel made it one of favourite endings for me.

As for worst endings..

GTO was the worse ending ever...

***Full Metal Panic*** the ending left A LOT open. anyone know if there will be a sequel? if not itss a pretty bad ending
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 0083

Spoiler[
]

Cima Garahue got killed by Kou Araki. Nina ends up with kou. Gato dies without pain. Mora gets married and mates with Keith. The charges are dropped on kou. Kou gets released. The Gundams get destroyed. Kou like the moron he is, fails the final mission. 90% of kansas gets dusted. Kou lives happily with MY Nina. South Burning gets killed towards the end.

Spoiler[
]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote
heen wrote:
***Full Metal Panic*** the ending left A LOT open. anyone know if there will be a sequel? if not itss a pretty bad ending
Do you mean the first Full Metal Panic! or Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid?

Here's the current break down of the anime series:

Full Metal Panic! (first series, comedy and drama.)

Full Metal Panic!: Fumoffu (second series but all comedy.)

Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid (third series but nearly all drama.)

All of it is currently available on R1 DVD. Buy it, love it, they'll make more of it! Wink

And personally I was very satisfied with the end of Rumbling Hearts as well. I'd love to see Funimation bring over the short spinoff they did with Akane. (I need more of Leah Clark in that role.)
panties

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching Mai Hime yesterday, and I think reading spoilers about the ending prior to watching it made the ending even worse for me. All the drama that takes place between episodes spoiler[18 and 25] was a lot of fun to watch, but knowing ahead of time that spoiler[everyone dies in the end] and then spoiler[comes back to life] made spoiler[everyone's death] feel even more superficial. As I watched the show I felt like, spoiler["Oh look, she's dead. That's sad and all but I know she comes back later, so whatever."] But the thing is, I wouldn't have watched this series at all if it wasn't for the spoilers. The first seventeen episodes put me to sleep and I felt like dropping the series multiple times, but knowing that spoiler[something happens that makes everyone die] was an incentive for me to finish watching it. Overall it was a pretty good anime though, and I'm glad I decided to stick with it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I generally dont mind endings where the series isnt concluded. I just accept that this isnt the end of the story. Thats different from a series that ends inconclusively.

On some of the ones already mentioned:

Trigun: I loved the ending. Its odd because logically it was very inconclusive. However when I watched it, it felt very complete. I think maybe it was because though it didn't really solve much plot wise, Vash's struggle was resolved spoiler[when he finally decided to fight knives.]

Berserk: Like I said, I accept that it was just not meant to be the conculsion to the story. I really liked it for th most part. Since the series ended there though, It would have been kinda nice if they could have ended it without relying on something magical, since the rest of the series did so well without a plot centered around something like that.

Hellsing: The trouble was the ending was just so generic. It was the combination of not resolving who was behind it all plus the genericness of Incognito. he's such a nobody. for goodness sakes, they say several times: "he is somebody who is nobody". he's just some random evil vampire whowants to destroy everything. If he had been more I wouldnt have minded not finding out who was behind it all. Or if they had found the guys behind it then having them fight their generic vampire would have been okay.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote
I just remembered an anime ending that I absolutely abhored.

For over thirty episodes, Happy Lesson was a show that promoted the values of family despite birth-right and blood relations. For over thirty episodes, I was watching something different than the normal "guy has lots of women wanting to *@^$ him, AND IT WAS GOOD!

spoiler[HOWEVER, something got into the writers/directors/whomever behind the show and decided to end the show with the "harem" routine. As a man who enjoy harem animes (Shuffle!, Tenchi muyo, Nagasarete Airantou, Futakoi, etc.,) this wouldn't have been bad IF THEY HAD DONE IT FOR THE WHOLE SHOW! In Happy Lessons: Finals, instead of ending on a unique note that the show promoted throughout the rest of the show, they deicded to take all of Chitose's "mama's" and have them all want to be his bride?! Where the hell do you pull that off of?!

I realize the show was based off a ero-game (as are a lot of shows recently), but for THIRTY EPISODES, the main character, Chitose, showed no interest to any of his "mama's" OTHER than wanting them to be his mothers, and from out of nowhere they pull "Oh, I'm actually in love with Mitsuki," and all of a sudden, EVERY one of his mama's/teachers wants to be his bride?]

*feels faint*

It was a ridiculous ending to an otherwise innovative show, and like I pointed out, if they had stayed with his premise the entire show it wouldn't have been a bad ending, but for the longest time THEY ACTED LIKE MOTHER/SON!
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Inuyasha, wow that was a bad ending........4 years and thats all we get??
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Endings I hated:

Trigun, Star Ocean Ex, Martian Successor Nadesico, Elfen Lied, Tenjho Tenge, Get Backers, Ikki Tousen, Those who hunt elves...pretty much any series that ended and either obviously wasn't over or left a major dangling "but what about X?" to ponder over. I hate non-endings, point blank.

Star Ocean EX only covered the first disc to the game and that's why it wasn't complete. (also the manga wasn't complete either)

Rurouni Kenshin's ending was terrible! The last episode wasn't even an episode! The pacing was so slow and didn't even have a plot. The last last part was nice, spoiler[with Kenji] but it didn't even end. (the manga ending was better)

I didn't like how Angel Sanctuary ended because it was incomplete. They should have made it into a series because it was good.
heen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
heen wrote:
Do you mean the first Full Metal Panic! or Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid?

.)

i ment ending for second raid which is the latest one. Left a lot open, so im def hoping another season will explain more and happen and i hope chidor/sosuke (sp) romance will actually flourish
Haohmaru Of The Wind69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin should pull a big o and have a new season to end it. Big o has a cool ending but the show itself is not so cool. Us japanese dudes hate the big o and like it when the americans watch it for us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9