• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Department of Justice Files Suit Over Comics Scan Site

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
You can't force someone to go out and spend money on a luxury they rightfully should be doing anyway, but you can sure as hell make it hard for them to get their fix. No excuse can cover up the fact that they are essentially stealing from the artists they claim to be a fan of. The less sites that support theft the better.

Great idea on offical manga simulcasts. I would be a huge supporter of that.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Before manga scanlations are taken down I'd really like for them to start moving to legal online "streaming" and "simulcasts" (just using those words for lack of a better term.) for manga in the same way that they have done anime. They don't have to be for free, of course, in fact they probably shouldn't be.

Bandwidth is much less of an issue ... if there was a system to crowdfinance translations, and royalties based on a percentage of gross revenues, at the kinds of hit rates the A-tier manga aggregators (and plus) are generating, it could generate an appreciable stream of income on small fractions of a cent in ad revenue per page.

I would not be surprised if there are some ventures in niche fields to try to create a workable business model for presently unlicensed content in this calendar year. Erica Friedman at Yuricon has been dropping hints.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The Berne Convention does not give the US DoJ reign to enforce US copyright law on works that originate in Japan and do not have a US licensor.

For the DoJ, the complaint would come from a US company about the series that have a licensor. The fact that the original material originates elsewhere matters no more than if someone imports bootlegs of Manchester United jerseys and whichever US company has the rights complains.

Like I said. For non-licensed manga the copyright law the US DoJ would have to follow is the country of origin. The Berne Convention for countries that signed just means a creator does not need to apply for copyright in every country to get native(the creator's) copyright laws enforced.

Japanese copyright law does not appear to have the same verbose clauses as US laws. Statutory damages don't seem to be a reconcilable claim only commercial damage or actually monetary value.

The US DoJ hunting down Onemanga does not seem to be as simple as you are trying to allude.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
ayashe wrote:
There are a few series that if I had the money (as in more than $0, I'm not even eating right now, so when people say they have no money take their word for it instead of criticizing them)
So - your internet is free?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
ayashe wrote:
There are a few series that if I had the money (as in more than $0, I'm not even eating right now, so when people say they have no money take their word for it instead of criticizing them)
So - your internet is free?

Ya funny huh? The poster is also a 19 year old webmaster. Check out her blog site in the profile. She seems to harbor immense hate towards ANY sort of method of legally viewing anime and reading manga. Truly a rebel Wink I'd REALLY like to go at a debate with that one.
penguinon13thfloor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
if onemanga and mangafox are gone people will be pissed off and make new sites ....
It's a blow for fans. It's the Japanese artists/companies have their rights. Hope the lawsuit decision is fair. We need access to the scans that are not in stores yet.
I read online. I buy manga too. Fans have to save up cash and see what it is we're gunna buy later. there are peoples who only read it for free but not everyone.
a good site that has solid license is manga123.com Sad
Ranma87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
As a former Helz0ne scanalator myself it makes me sad to see these sites coming down, alot of work and editing goes into fan translations.

If the Japanese production companies don't want fans translating manga then why don't they make more of an effort to get translations to us instead of catering exclusively to the Japanese market and making us wait years?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
If the Japanese production companies don't want fans translating manga then why don't they make more of an effort to get translations to us

Yes, heaven forbid you make things only in your own language - look at the fine example set by America with the Japanese books being churned out of their printing presses.

Quote:
instead of catering exclusively to the Japanese market and making us wait years?

Yes, good grief! Next thing you know you'll have Hollywood catering to the American market, Bollywood catering to the Indian market and British comedy being made in Britain and deliberately not producing Japanese subtitles!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pearlday1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
(Dont start replying before you finish reading the entire thing)

OneManga is now closing because of [removed] like you, who think you know everything. well, guess what, you dont!!

you watch anime online dont you? you play games online right? you watch videos on youtube, sometimes you even watch part 1,2,3, of a tv show on youtube right?. you may or may not, i dont really care, but theres people that also just go to barnes and noble and sit there reading right there and on the floor, without buying it. whats the difference in this case? there is none!!

im going to give one example. did you ever hear of Bakuman? well, currently theres over 80 chapters out and online scanlated. now in the shonoun magazines here, theres not even 10 scanlated chapters. am i supposed to wait another 70 weeks just to catch up to what i have already read?
bakuman is actually popular, but what about those that arent so very popular. some that dont ever get scanlated and sent to bookstores here. am i supposed to forget about them?

you said that if we wanted to read them, why not learn the language? well, why should we learn the language if we can get them in english almost the same dates as the raws come out? why are the raws online in the first place. basically you guys hate one manga and manga fox because they are hosting online manga that shouldnt be there. lisenced or unlisenced. well, what about the raws? are you going to stand there and let the raws go online? hey, if the raws are online for everyone to read, then why shouldnt they be translated for everyone to read. its already there.for everyone to see, why not at the very least make it so we can understand it.

most people only first find out about manga through those sites. afterwards when the volumes come out in their bookstore they buy it, only after getting introduced to it.

one manga and manga fox and the other sites arent illegal. its like watching anime online, or going to your local book store and reading it there (which many people do in my bookstore) is it wrong to be interested in something and be able to read it online?

i mean, you guys say that we should find other interests if we dont want to learn the language. well, why should we be limited to only what language we know. things should be translated for everyone. why should millions of people learn another language for solely the purpose or reading manga, when only 5/6 people can translate it and then help influence people to buy these copies.

one manga doesnt even charge money. they dont make any profit from hosting the website. maybe im wrong and maybe im not but still your ideals are ridiculous

you know what, i shouldnt be criticizing your ideals and opinions. right? and i wont. you guys can do whatever you want. but im just saying that if you dont understand something. then shut up!!!!

i would never have been introduced to manga if it wasnt for one manga. i mean, my favorite anime of all time; One Piece. i would NEVER have read it if it wasnt for One Manga. and guess what, i bought a few volumes in my local bookstore because i liked the series. now, how would i ever buy any books, if i never knew what it was? oh wait, i couldnt.

i understand your point of view, but you dont understand ours. i understand that these mangakas need to be paid. but let me tell you this. if it wasnt for OneManga and Manga Fox and all the other sites, do you really think anyone except asians would ever know about Manga? do you really think that manga would thrive and be incorporated in every culture. do you think that manga would be as successful as it is today, without the circulation that these websites helped spread.

i must have written alot, but in reality i havnt written anything. i could write much more on our views, and even that wouldnt be enough. before you judge something, look at all sides of the story.

if you dont think i understood yours, then just tell me and i'll go all in and write a whole god dam 100page long paper on your views.

you guys think that canceling a few sites will help the economy? well lets see what happens. you know what, lets see, if you are able to take down manga from the online database. lets see in 15 years, the outcome of your decision.

oh wait, there probably wont be any manga anymore cause no one will ever have heard of it

you know what, ima just end it there. i already know that you guys wont read any of what i posted. your just gonna follow up saying that you skipped everything cause i wrote a whole too dam much, and say that im an idiot and all this crap, without reading anything i had to say. thats actually, how it always goes when i say something that the majority of the thread dont realize. they also tell me to **** off, but as im writing this down, i guess it never worked. you can try too but i aint backing down from what i think is right.

ah whatever, im prepared to be yelled at so come at me!! tell me what you think!! im ready to hear it!!

---Shellz---

Thanks Keonyn for the heads up about insults. i will take consideration. you probably wont read this post, but hey, im giving it a shot lol. anyway, thanks for the warning xP

Last edited by pearlday1 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeRules14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Welll ya'll saying this it is true for download music online and watching anime online illegally cause those thing are illegal too so if the manga websites go pretty soon some people may sue the anime and music websites soon and they will go also
usagi-sarah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
the big problem is that American manga isn't affordable, and what really needs to be done is price cut down or online subscriptions. Many magazines have been knocked out and many manga are slow and far behind. None of the sites posting the material are profiting anyway. It's not like they are stealing the artists money.

In my case I read online and I buy the books as well when I can. Japan has plenty of people buying and reading online as well. Here in Japan manga is 4 dollars a book and if used around 1 dollar. The magazine is open in the stores to read freely anyway. So how is it any different? Going to the book store in america it is open and able to read freely as well. No difference.

In Japan novels are wrapped in plastic but many of the manga have atleast 3 of them open on the shelf to freely read. You see plenty of people standing in the book stores or at the convenient store reading it and never buying it.

Many of the manga artists aren't complaining, it's the magazine and publishing companies because they are not getting their cut because nobody is buying novels and magazine due to free reading and scanning. The creators get paid well from not just manga sale and magazine sale but to the anime made from their series, and merch sales. The artist of One Piece has many types of income coming in. Millions of people showed up at Laguna Gamagori for One Piece exhibition and people spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on One Piece merchendise. Jump Shop in Sakae is always filled with people so many people you can barely walk in the store from people buying dvd's, books, and other merch thats very over priced.

Busting on One Manga or Manga Fox isn't helping anybody and quite honestly the Manga artists if they were feeling cheated they would have stopped writing a long time ago.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ah whatever, im prepared to be yelled at so come at me!! tell me what you think!! im ready to hear it!!

I'm not yelling. In fact, I find the attitudes of the people here who say "Be patient! Wait for the licensed products to come out in [censored] english translation form months later!" amusingly quaint.

The simple fact is that technology itself is destroying the old model of copyright, yet the Japanese manga producers and their American licensees are largely in denial. They keep doing shit like this, pretending that they can somehow turn the clock back to 1991, and they're enabled by a whole host of misguided otakus who think they're helping to protect the future of manga this way.

I see OneManga and Manga Fox as symptoms of that changing technological environment, which won't go away until the manga producers acquiese to the inevitable and try things like what they've done with Rin-ne, among others. The whole situation is a bit bizarre, because apparently they've figured it out with regards to anime (witness sites like Crunchyroll* and Hulu), but they're stuck in the mud on manga. Go figure.

* If they finally figure it out, and offer the latest chapters with english translation almost simultaneous with the Japanese release on-line for a small monthly fee (the Crunchyroll Model), I'll be one of the first to sign up, particularly if I can get all of the mangas I follow through a single portal.

Last edited by Guardsman Bass on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeRules14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
usagi-sarah wrote:
the big problem is that American manga isn't affordable, and what really needs to be done is price cut down or online subscriptions. Many magazines have been knocked out and many manga are slow and far behind. None of the sites posting the material are profiting anyway. It's not like they are stealing the artists money.

In my case I read online and I buy the books as well when I can. Japan has plenty of people buying and reading online as well. Here in Japan manga is 4 dollars a book and if used around 1 dollar. The magazine is open in the stores to read freely anyway. So how is it any different? Going to the book store in america it is open and able to read freely as well. No difference.

In Japan novels are wrapped in plastic but many of the manga have atleast 3 of them open on the shelf to freely read. You see plenty of people standing in the book stores or at the convenient store reading it and never buying it.

Many of the manga artists aren't complaining, it's the magazine and publishing companies because they are not getting their cut because nobody is buying novels and magazine due to free reading and scanning. The creators get paid well from not just manga sale and magazine sale but to the anime made from their series, and merch sales. The artist of One Piece has many types of income coming in. Millions of people showed up at Laguna Gamagori for One Piece exhibition and people spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on One Piece merchendise. Jump Shop in Sakae is always filled with people so many people you can barely walk in the store from people buying dvd's, books, and other merch thats very over priced.

Busting on One Manga or Manga Fox isn't helping anybody and quite honestly the Manga artists if they were feeling cheated they would have stopped writing a long time ago.
I totally agree with you on this. I see people in the bookstore all the time reading manga and then leaving without buying any of the ones they left so none of this will help with anything like you said.
Sakhi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
pearlday1 wrote:
(don't start replying before you finish reading the entire thing)

*APPLAUSE*

You said exactly wot needed to be said. I am quite frankly sickened by most of the comments made on this thread. Thanks to you fools out there who enjoying taking the p*** out of others interests One Manga is closing down... nice going guys Sad
usagi-sarah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
If the Japanese production companies don't want fans translating manga then why don't they make more of an effort to get translations to us

Yes, heaven forbid you make things only in your own language - look at the fine example set by America with the Japanese books being churned out of their printing presses.

Quote:
instead of catering exclusively to the Japanese market and making us wait years?

Yes, good grief! Next thing you know you'll have Hollywood catering to the American market, Bollywood catering to the Indian market and British comedy being made in Britain and deliberately not producing Japanese subtitles!

actually everything released in foreign countries is released here in Japan. If something comes out in america is comes to Japan too the latest it gets here is 1 year. Video store here is full of mostly American movies and tv shows. American books everywhere too in both japanese and english.

Tv shows american tv shows every day too. Lost, Prison Break, CSI, Law and Order, Bones. Many others as well and one american movie is played every night.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19