• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Updates Haruhi Suzumiya Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The Haruhi renewal episodes are a very tough sell and it will be interesting to see how Bandai handles this. I am inclined to believe, the fourteen new episodes will be released in a single barebones dubbed box set for around forty dollars. However, a Blu-ray complete collection will also be released containing all twenty eight dubbed episodes. The complete collection would contain all the extras, including a subtitled version of The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan for around one hundred and twenty dollars. This would allow Bandai to appease the fans only wanting to buy the new episodes to complete their collection, while at the same time catering to the fans waiting for a Blu-ray release.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope there's a way to buy only the second season episodes that aren't "Endless Eight". "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" and the "Sighs" episodes were very good. EE would have been good too, if they had stuck to one or two episodes.

They'll probably get Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman back on the dub. I'm a big fan of both, and liked the English dub fairly well (though not as much as the Japanese track), but I find Stephanie Sheh's Mikuru a little underwhelming and Michelle Ruff's talent is wasted as Yuki. Though perhaps she won't be in a dub for the movie, since it has an alternate Yuki.

Hell, I haven't even finished collecting the first season. I shouldn't even be talking about the second one's impending release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Anyone care? No? Thought not.
It pained me watching them for free with fansubs and no way in hell I'd ever consider buying the DVD's, dub or no dub.
My advice to Bandai; pretend this "second season" didn't happen and just license the movie.

That's right, somebody should have paid you to watch. Since anime is a universal right that should be free to everyone! Rolling Eyes

Personally, I thought E8 was brilliant. Especially the way Kyon finally broke the cycle. Not to mention Haruhi's reaction was priceless.

But a dub might not be a slam dunk, but who knows. They might lose more money with lost sales from a sub-only, then money they would lose doing a dub.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
When they start talking about releasing Haruhi-chan I'll listen. It may be nothing but a gag series but it helped lift the stink off the turdburger that EE was - which not even the good episodes from season 2 lifted entirely.

But if they release collector's editions with soundtracks and assorted crap included I'll have to think about whether getting these. Yeah, the industry's current state makes this a near-impossibility and the precedent of canceling Lucky Star's final CE shoots this prospect on the knees, but I can dream.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Since I finally have the player to play it on, I'd buy both seasons on BluRay in a heartbeat. I know "Endless Eight" went over the top, but I love the sheer audacity of what Kyoto Animation accomplished, even if it does come across as an "Epic Troll" of the fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Unlike some people, i have no problem with Endless Eight. but I'd also like to see Haruhi-chan released, either as bonus features with season 2, or it's own release.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
I really hope Bandai dubs it. If they do, they could just have the first and last episode as a normal dub, and and have the other six of the endless eight saga as a gag dub, (like the ghost stories dub)

Haha, I would love that.

Sure EE was horrible and all, but it's time for the fans to move on and joke about how stupid it was. Make the whole thing a good laugh for the fandom.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Like I have said in the past on many threads and on the main Haruhi topic.

Stright up gag dubbing of Endless Eight would sell, nothing better then Crispen Freemen joking around in Kyon's voice. (Come on you all know it would be funny)
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Like I have said in the past on many threads and on the main Haruhi topic.

Stright up gag dubbing of Endless Eight would sell, nothing better then Crispen Freemen joking around in Kyon's voice. (Come on you all know it would be funny)

Ever seen the out-takes... most of them were him goofing around.

Anyways I have to agree with the gag dub for example one episode could replace all references of the "S.O.S. Brigade" with "Evil Cookies Club" and another episode filled with random pop culture references. That would be funny
Netstryke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Endless Eight?!?! Oh s$#%!!

EVERY FAN FOR THEM SELF!!
Inspector88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:37 am Reply with quote
I personally thought that Endless Eights was hilarious. Sure it was awful having to watch the same events with minor variations, but it made the end so much more powerful, and the episode after Endless Eights seemed amazing just because it wasn't the same thing. Someone should try watching those episodes for a total of 15,533 times...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
Inspector88 wrote:
Someone should try watching those episodes for a total of 15,533 times...

That's 5.4 years of watching . . . that's suicide.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
you know some hard core fan is going to do that after seeing that.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Well, this development probably makes the movie a lock, so that's good.
If anything it dooms the franchise. Or at least I'd like to think the American anime fandom has some balls and not buy that abomination upon celluloid.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
sailorsean wrote:
I really hope Bandai dubs it. If they do, they could just have the first and last episode as a normal dub, and and have the other six of the endless eight saga as a gag dub, (like the ghost stories dub)

Haha, I would love that.

Sure EE was horrible and all, but it's time for the fans to move on and joke about how stupid it was. Make the whole thing a good laugh for the fandom.

Even if that occurs, and I'm sure it will at some point, that doesn't help the ability for Bandai to sell these episodes to viewers which is the central point that we seem to be getting away from a little bit. Aside from major fans, a standard release of a season in which around half the episodes are almost identical is not a wise business decision. Considering the popularity of the first season as well, it's not likely that this license came cheap either, so this could be a tough situation for Bandai, particularly in the current market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6