• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
The controversy of No Longer Human and it's usage in other fictional works sometimes make me question how was Bungo Stray Dogs able managed to become a hit of Bones by promoting a comical take of Osamu Dazai with a really serious dark side. He was voiced by Mamoru Miyano and had quite some shipping with a famous character. That helps too.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The controversy of No Longer Human and it's usage in other fictional works sometimes make me question how was Bungo Stray Dogs able managed to become a hit of Bones by promoting a comical take of Osamu Dazai with a really serious dark side. He was voiced by Mamoru Miyano and had quite some shipping with a famous character. That helps too.

Not sure it's really a controversy but Dazai's portrayal in BSD was also criticized, then and now. I think the big difference is Bungou Dazai isn't the main character and that show can have whole arcs where he doesn't appear. And even when he does his suicide 'joke' doesn't always happen
Daerian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
lomez wrote:

So do these people stop watching halfway through or... ?

If you seriously think this is going to stop author from constantly doing one of two jokes they have (second being Dazai's harem) I have a bridge to sell you.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, I like my fiction melodramatic (MyGO earned every second of it, and I look forward to watching it again before Ave Mujica drops), but this was honestly just somewhat ponderous. Credit where due though, I can at least appreciate the believably childlike habit of talking around subjects instead of approaching things directly -- I know myself and so many others had trouble with that in high school or below, and this is seemingly trying for a 'naturalistic' approach to it all -- and trying to puff out your feathers in sporty or lone intellectual ways. And that, to be fair, Rumi and Naori are both given their own due and seeing things flipped back-and-forth plays up the drama all around.

Still far more negative than positive. The soundtrack, like Stepsister was so overwrought in trying to make every single moment important and meaningful, yet the efficient and propulsive character work or animation just wasn't there for it to not feel utterly unearned. Just once, even if I never found it outright unpleasant so much as a total bore, I wished it would calm down and let me soak in it all. Doesn't help how the visuals felt similarly overdone and without a pedal, although this was sort of less plodding then Stepsister was. (I have no issue with media or segments therein that are meant to feel so much longer than they actually are, it's the same impulse that makes me really dig into "slow burn" media. This just ain't that, to me.) I also, as in various other cases, begged for something beyond the romance. I get it, this is a romantic drama (with a bit of ostensible comedy?), but you can still absolutely show the characters outside of the developing feelings and have it work back towards the central thrust. Dangers in My Heart did it remarkably for both seasons, and I already had such a firm handle on Ichikawa's and Yamada's lives outside of them, that made me appreciate how this new, unusual person, was so shaking up the lives they had lived up to that point.

I still can't call this the worst premiere I've watched. My Wife was interminable and gave me even less to latch onto, Isekai Yururi Kikou made me go from lukewarm to down on the original manga, and A Nobody's Way Up To an Exploration Hero took the crown for being an out-and-out slog. Still doesn't change how the most I got was a smirk from Naori's absurd, consciously self-defeating logic paired with a cutesy walling of her emotions with her "Time Attack" remark. Except, like so much of this premiere, it doesn't even feel like a half-measure. Perhaps a quarter-measure. Regardless, utterly insubstantial and leaving me wanting, even if I didn't care for... well, everything else, pretty much.

Daerian wrote:
lomez wrote:

If you seriously think this is going to stop author from constantly doing one of two jokes they have (second being Dazai's harem) I have a bridge to sell you.

I've read up to volume four and have a mixed, complicated enjoyment of it here, and Daerian isn't wrong here about the jokes not stopping (as much as it's also correct that Sensei now has a goal in sight). There's even a little subplot about spoiler[trying to get him his pills back later on].
Although to be a bit pedantic, it really doesn't read as a harem, to me: Yes, Tama and Annette are both infatuated with him, and yes that doesn't necessarily let up. It's still not remotely reciprocal, and steadily becomes closer to background noise or worn jokes rather than a focus, unlike spoiler[the matter of Sensei delivering fellow Other Worlders back to where they once were, or otherwise eliminating (or playing a support role in eliminating) them outright in this new world]. It'd be like calling Alya or Salad Bowl one, when the dynamics are not there for it.

Archenemies is an absolute keeper. Even if it didn't overstay its welcome, the first episode left me severely wanting for even a few more minutes with them. Such an adorable blending of romcom staples with a bit of dark humor, and just looking gorgeous.

VTuber Legend is one I'm keeping up with for now, even if I'm not sure for how long. It's entertaining, and there's a cozily familiarity to how unhinged Awayuki is. Some super cute faces too. Just, not quite sure where I stand.

Tasogare Out Focus got a drop for just not being able to hold my interest, as much as I'm always excited to see a new BL thing. I think the manga might be more my speed, and that's fine.

Nokotan is on hold until I know for certain there will be consistently good subs for it. Then I'll give it a shot.

@Key a little while back: I'm not sure what your tastes are in terms of a trashy good time. However, I found myself appreciating the needlessly convoluted framing of essentially simple concepts in episode 2 for Tasūketsu, actually making some weird amount of sense, and still being just as aggressively silly. This one's a keeper, for sure.

Last edited by InfiniteNothingness on Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

As a manga reader, the story is actually quite interesting and clever and not revolving around just 'one or two jokes' and further episodes should prove that true. So happy bridge-selling I quess?
Daerian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

As a manga reader, the story is actually quite interesting and clever and not revolving around just 'one or two jokes' and further episodes should prove that true. So happy bridge-selling I quess?

As somebody who checked the manga the joke repeats itself in just next chapter and then again few times in next five, so send me the check please :>

You are allowed to like the story and sure, it can evolve into something better, but trying to say the joke stops is disingenuous.

InfiniteNothingness wrote:

Although to be a bit pedantic, it really doesn't read as a harem, to me: Yes, Tama and Annette are both infatuated with him, and yes that doesn't necessarily let up. It's still not remotely reciprocal, and steadily becomes closer to background noise or worn jokes rather than a focus

While I understand your point (and thanks for explanation), him not being reciprocal doesn't really exclude story from having harem vibes. Harem protagonists (especially isekai ones) are often not reciprocal and it's sometimes even a part of wish fulfillment.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
@Key a little while back: I'm not sure what your tastes are in terms of a trashy good time. However, I found myself appreciating the needlessly convoluted framing of essentially simple concepts in episode 2 for Tasūketsu, actually making some weird amount of sense, and still being just as aggressively silly. This one's a keeper, for sure.

I did watch the second episode of that one and, frankly, found it to be such a disaster that I probably won't continue with it. It felt severely condensed in its storytelling approach and too loose in its logic, and the twists and complications were ridiculous to the point of absurdity. That can be entertaining in this genre, but this series takes itself too seriously to go for the gusto on that front. (For a much better example of what I'm talking about in the same genre, see 2021's High-Rise Invasion.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

As somebody who checked the manga the joke repeats itself in just next chapter and then again few times in next five, so send me the check please :>

You are allowed to like the story and sure, it can evolve into something better, but trying to say the joke stops is disingenuous.

I think Blanchimont's point is that there's more to the manga and Sensei's character than repeating suicide jokes over and over. They didn't claim the joke stops to an absolute 0, so I don't know why you're taking issues with something no one said.
Yes, saying the joke stops entirely is disingenuous. Good thing no one said that. Saying there's more to the show and character than the suicide jokes =/= saying the jokes stop completely
Daerian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:

Yes, saying the joke stops entirely is disingenuous. Good thing no one said that. Saying there's more to the show and character than the suicide jokes =/= saying the jokes stop completely

Actually, the first poster I was responding to not only said that, but attacked reviewers on that point:

lomez wrote:
No Longer Allowed in Another World: episode 1 literally ends with the main character finding a goal in this world, which necessarily requires not killing himself to achieve.

ANN reviewer: THIS SHOw iS JuST tHe oNE JoKe about Him tRYiNg TO kILl HiMSeLf oveR AnD OVer And I dOn'T knOw iF it Can CarrY THE shoW

I also quoted him, so both you and Blanchimont should know I was responding to specific person. So please stop trying to move goal post.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

I also quoted him, so both you and Blanchimont should know I was responding to specific person. So please stop trying to move goal post.

Actually, he's attacking the claim that the show is just the suicide jokes which can't carry a whole 13 episodes. And saying, that with a goal in mind there's obviously already more to the show than simply wandering around and repeating the joke. I don't see where lomez is saying that the joke will stop entirely. That said, I don't agree with the agressive tone he took, because honestly suicide jokes about a real person who existed are a justified complaint regardless of how often it happens and it's perfectly natural that people will hate the idea and be put off.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
There’s like a 90% chance that the MC of Zetsubou sensei was also based on Dazai, though it’s probably easier to disconnect when they use a different name

You know what, in hindsight I think that makes a lot of sense. But like others have said, he uses a different name and has a different personality and the show deals with different themes. The punchline for every chapter isn't "sensei is gonna try and die now", and in fact Nozomu makes it clear he doesn't actually want to die because he says "I could've died!" after near death experiences. So it doesn't feel as loaded as a series with an obvious Dazai insert trying to die pretty much every episode.
Watching a show about a random warped dude with suicidal ideation but no full on desire to die vs a show about This is Absolutely The Real Dazai doing oh so funny suicide attempts all the time is a very different experience, at least for me.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Will be watching Twilight Out of Focus and Senpai is an Otokonoko; Mayonaka Punch also sounds like something I'll enjoy. Other than that, it's a pretty uneventful season for me. Wish there were some shojo series.
Lily Garden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Several titles this season are adaptations of things I've enjoyed reading; i.e. Dahlia, Vtuber, Senpai is an Otokonoko

Oshi no Ko continues to be great and Suicide Squad ISEKAI has been a blast so far

There have been other delights like The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies & Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian to satisfy my romcom cravings.

There are still a few shows I have yet to check out, but overall it appears to be a rather fulsome season for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note: I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up but what is with Crunchyroll removing their comments section? I was surprised when I went on to watch the first episode of The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies, and I scrolled down to find it and vanished. Disappointing too, because I went on to watch Spice & Wolf and missed the discussion that used to accompany it...
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Lily Garden wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note: I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up but what is with Crunchyroll removing their comments section? I was surprised when I went on to watch the first episode of The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies, and I scrolled down to find it and vanished. Disappointing too, because I went on to watch Spice & Wolf and missed the discussion that used to accompany it...

I mean, the official line is to "reduce harmful content", and from the few times I've taken a gander at the comments....that tracks. Not to say there aren't less publicly acceptable reasons, but thats the official stance.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Lily Garden wrote:

Some people are speculating it was due to the Nokotan sub issues but I think it's because of the hatebombing on the LGBT titles like Twilight Out of Focus and Senpai is an Otokonoko. There were a lot of disgusting 1 star reviews flooding the pages so it was probably easier to just remove it than moderate. I don't know if CR have publicly commented on it yet or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 29