• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strait Jacket DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Maur wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Sometimes people thinks things are bad not because it's "not their taste" but because IT IS ACTUALLY BAD.

Your job as the dissenting party is to say why it isn't.

I have already done that.

My point is that this is not the case, because Strait Jacket is NOT ACTUALLY BAD.

Actually, let me quote you:

Quote:
Maybe there wasn't enough comedy relief or cliche sweatdrops for some people's satisfaction.

If you read Casey's other reviews, that's not her taste either. Way to be even more condescending than she (supposedly) was/.

Quote:
It's not the most original thing you'll ever see, but the things Strait Jacket does, it does well.

Ah, so you admit it's derivative and doesn't accomplish much. See? We agree on something!

Quote:
I thought the voice acting was flawless.

Haven't heard the dub so I can't tell you (not that I ever watch dubs anyway). I don't remember the Japanese voice acting being particularly good or bad.

Quote:
To my surprise, I found the setting intriguing and the premise fascinating, so much so that I went from "kind of paying attention" to giving it my full attention.

And we're saying, that's nice, but it's also been done a dozen times before and better, so why bother?

Quote:
I suspect that perhaps it's not as character driven as some people would like, but I liked Strait Jacket for what it was.

"For what it is" is always the first sign of someone trying to justify liking something that is bad (not that there's anything wrong with that so long as you admit that it is bad).

Quote:
So the plot was "incomplete," but unless you are too busy looking down your nose from your high horse, you should get the sense that it was meant to be that way.

So expecting something to have a full and developed plot is snooty? I thought it was pretty much basic.

Quote:
Like an appetizer before a full course meal, it gives you an idea of how rich the story could be if they could make it into a series.

I.e. How rich it isn't as it stands now. The reviewer never says anything against the Straight Jacket novels, just thinks the OVA is a bad spinoff of them.

From what I can tell, your argument is, "It's not very good, but I liked it." Nothing wrong with that, but liking it doesn't make it good. And I personally don't have enough time on my hands to watch everything that's only decent or "good for what it is."

While I did not have the time to sit through 2+ hours of people jabbering to hear the review you linked to, I get the impression you want a reviewer to basically tell you the plot, who created the show, why you might like it, and not give any judgment on it whatsoever. That's not a review; that's an encyclopedia article. A reviewer, if he or she believes something is bad, has every right to say so, even if you disagree with them. Feel free to post your disagreements, but so long as their not telling you that you're a bad person for disagreeing, don't attack the reviewer.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
While I did not have the time to sit through 2+ hours of people jabbering to hear the review you linked to, I get the impression you want a reviewer to basically tell you the plot, who created the show, why you might like it, and not give any judgment on it whatsoever. That's not a review; that's an encyclopedia article. A reviewer, if he or she believes something is bad, has every right to say so, even if you disagree with them. Feel free to post your disagreements, but so long as their not telling you that you're a bad person for disagreeing, don't attack the reviewer.

Two things. One: I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said above regarding what reviews should and should not be, which is why I think I need to point out that you seem to have somehow misinterpreted my first post to be a personal attack on the reviewer because I used what I figured was over-the-top hyperbole when I said this cartoon was meant for those cultured and refined enough to appreciate a work of art such as this one which offers a case study on prolonged exposure to Magna Blast. (Should anyone find themselves getting mad at the previous sentence, then I must inform you that you have misinterpreted the hyperbole for a second time.) Two: you don't actually have to listen to it for two hours to hear the review (which, because I agree with you regarding what reviews should do, is not simply a plot synopsis and encyclopedia entry), because I posted time codes stating that the review of this particular anime started at the 1:39:30 mark. It's just an MP3 file, so you can just skip right to it.

toddc wrote:
Had it been made fifteen years ago, Strait Jacket would be dismissed as swiftly as Dark Warrior, Bounty Dog, and other mediocre 1990s video releases. Today, however, some will rise to its defense just because it vaguely resembles the sort of thing they'd really like to see. Yet tolerating Strait Jacket will not help bring back those halcyon days of endearingly violent OVAs. It'll just encourage people to make more Strait Jackets.

I was mostly able to forgive your anti-Shadow Skill position, sir, but don't think I forgot about that time you said Baoh sucked! Baoh doesn't suck, BAOH HAS A LASER CANNON!

I'm onto you, mister.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to pretend I'm as enlightened as either AWO or the reviewer, but I enjoyed throughly what I watched on Sci-Fi and am waiting until I get the cash to buy it ( I've put a moratorium on buying dvds for the time being for a least a month ).

I would agree that the plot isn't a tired sci-fi, cyberpunkish cliche that hasn't been retried a hundred times over. I don't like dubs either, so I didn't really listen to what they were saying, because THAT'S NOT THE REASON WHY YOU WATCH THIS!

This was just a great, blood drenched romp with magic and science fiction. Compared to a lot of other stuff recently ( hmm, adv licensed Clannad, which I bet gets praised for being some high drama or some other bull shit), this one's a least got entertainment value for the violence and action packed scenes. There were some scenes of dialog, but that's called plot-building. You can't deny the greatness when a guy uses some awesome magical cannon and has to scream it's name, then destroys an entire building just to get ONE DEMON! Every show attempts to tell a story at some point, even if it goes completely off course. But again, this isn't reason you watch this. As for the animation quality, I think you were completely off base; what I saw on Sci-fi was definitely OVA quality.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Novels? There are novels?

Why was I not informed of this?
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
This was just a great, blood drenched romp with magic and science fiction. Compared to a lot of other stuff recently ( hmm, adv licensed Clannad, which I bet gets praised for being some high drama or some other bull shit), this one's a least got entertainment value for the violence and action packed scenes. There were some scenes of dialog, but that's called plot-building. You can't deny the greatness when a guy uses some awesome magical cannon and has to scream it's name, then destroys an entire building just to get ONE DEMON! Every show attempts to tell a story at some point, even if it goes completely off course. But again, this isn't reason you watch this. As for the animation quality, I think you were completely off base; what I saw on Sci-fi was definitely OVA quality.

Oh come on, did you watch Black Lagoon? That's an awesome show, with awesome action and great animation (from what I can tell). It may have no new ideas, but at least it's hugely entertaining. It can build up a story without having to rely on stupid bla-bla as Strait Jacket does.

And saying "It's not the reason I watch it" is perfectly okay, but then at least don't try to defend it.
Example conversation:
Me: Oh my god, I just watched Troll 2. It's such a horrible movie, but it was fun watching it with some friends.
Random Person: I thought Troll 2 was rather good.
Me: What? Why would you think so?
RP: Well, for what it was, I enjoyed it.
Me: It had horrible acting, a laughable plot and some of the worst costumes ever.
RP: It didn't try to be good, you know.
Me: So you are saying it sucked?
[Repeat last two lines endlessly]

And yeah, anyone who hasn't seen Troll 2 should watch it with some friends. It's hilarious.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Mah...I give it a 6 out of 10
it wasn't great but it didn't bore me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toddc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I was mostly able to forgive your anti-Shadow Skill position, sir, but don't think I forgot about that time you said Baoh sucked! Baoh doesn't suck, BAOH HAS A LASER CANNON!

I'm onto you, mister.

Don't forget that I just spoke unkindly of Dark Warrior, the climactic scene of which has the hero slamming his first through the prime antagonist's eye socket and out the back of his head. Then said antagonist gasps out a surprisingly long death-speech with the hero's arm STILL STICKING THROUGH HIS HEAD, thereby compensating for the rest of the series being dreary and terrible.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
I saw this on Sci-Fi and didn't find it especially notable, however a lot of the dissenting opinions are really making me want to re-evaluate this show--I love the "classic" trashy OVA style where it seemed like any kind of stupidity and insanity was justifiable as long as it was Awesome.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
I saw this on Sci-Fi and didn't find it especially notable, however a lot of the dissenting opinions are really making me want to re-evaluate this show--I love the "classic" trashy OVA style where it seemed like any kind of stupidity and insanity was justifiable as long as it was Awesome.

But old trashy OVAs are awesome. Instead, Strait Jacket is just trashy.
Beruda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Well I liked it and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Smile With Crispin Freeman, Steve Blum and Shinichiro Miki, that's enough for me baby. Wink

I didn't realize it wasn't an OVA though. I've heard of Scrapped Princess but I don't anything about that series.

B.
Beruda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
My mistake, it is an OVA not a feature film and it has nothing to do with Scrapped Princess it's just written by the same person. Sorry, winding down a 14 hour day. Embarassed

B.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3