• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Dubs???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Van

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote
This is a hard one because I've only watched several animes subbed.

I think that the Scryed dub was fairly well done compared to the subbed version.

The one anime that stuck out to me that I didn't like was Outlaw Star. I remember watching a dub version after most of the series in sub, and it was awful. The Japanese version of Starwind had much more flair than the American guy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
ZahmiraV wrote:
Actually the English version was done before the Japanese version. English is the original language of the movie. I hear that the Japanese version is really hard to find anyway.

(*sighs*) I still wish I could see it in Japanese. Not to say the English is bad. I thought it was pretty decent, but having more of an amazement for the Japanese language, I'd just prefer to see most anime in Japanese. Just me being picky... Anime smile + sweatdrop.
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quote
The one series that always comes to mind for me is one of my favorite series of all time, Fruits Basket. I love the dub for this series as much if not more than I love the dub for the Japanese version. This is mainly because when I watched the dub for the first time, I wasn't expecting much, because at this time I still hated Funimation for what they had done to DBZ. I was pleasently suprised though, because I enjoyed the series just as much in the dub as I did when I watched it with subs.

I like both Bebop versions equally, but like someone said earlier, I enjoy faye's voice a little more in English because it was annoying to me in japanese.

some other dubs that I like a lot are:
12 kingdoms
Hellsing
Last Exile
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain
(you might have noticed that I'm a big fan of Crispin Freeman Wink )
Maccers

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I think that cowboy bebop has the best dub without a doubt.

Some runners up include..

Hellsing - I prefer the english track because of course the anime itself in set in england and i just dosent sound right in japanese

Inuyasha - Brilliant dub, what else can i say???.

Rurouni kenshin - Most people bad mouth this dub, but i think its really good, minus the part they dubbed the OP for a few eps..
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
There's just something about the structural differences between the Japanese language and the English language that results in the English voice actors having to speak so quickly to get the same message across in the same amount of time. They tend to have to rush their lines and speak without pause, almost like a machine gun, shooting their mouths off. It's like they're overdosed on caffeine. The original Japanese dub would have the characters speaking at a normal pace but the English version would sound frantic, hurried. It just throws everything off. I haven't seen many animes dubbed in English, save for the few DVD official releases I bought from Oz and the US. The rest (bootleg, as some of you have mentioned) by Manga International, etc were all subbed.

I have, however, watched tons of anime dubbed in Chinese (on TV). Now the similarities between Chinese and Japanese are uncanny, both being Asian languages. Therefore, language structure, words, etc are very similar. The Chinese dubs work a lot better, in terms of the pace at which the voice actors have to speak. So Chinese works better as a dub language for anime. Add to that the fact that most of the voice actors are classically trained Chinese speakers, listening to them is a pleasure. Their command and mastery of the language is a lot better than us overseas Chinese. For me, Chinese was not a first language or mother tongue. I grew up speaking English. So I love the fluency and pronunciation of the Chinese language in the Chinese dubs.

Production quality ranges between very bad to perfect. But that's just a case of budget, not how suitable the language is to use as a dub. Most of those I've watched have been very good. Best among them is Crayon Shin-chan. The dubbing is perfect. The voice actor for Shinosuke is spot-on. He captures the mood perfectly. You're Under Arrest was very good too, though sometimes, the voice actors tend to sound rather haughty. It probably has to do with the fact the they are probably from a certain province of China and their accent naturally tends to sound that way. I think it was dubbed in Beijing.

I have watched Saber Marionette J in both subbed and Chinese dubbed versions. Both are very good, but I loved the subbed Japanese version better. But that's just me because I love the Japanese language and I love Megumi Hayashibara's voice. But I have to do justice to the very good quality of the Chinese dub and say that the voice actors managed to capture the mood very well. Having watched both versions (the Chinese one first) and comparing how well they portrayed their characters and how well the expression of mood, emotion, etc. came across to me, I would say the Chinese dub did very well too.
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
ZahmiraV wrote:

Actually the English version was done before the Japanese version. English is the original language of the movie. I hear that the Japanese version is really hard to find anyway.

Oh my!

That I did not know...is it that they released only a limited amount, or it wasnt released in the US?

Well...thats one gem to hunt for then. Plus the movie is great so its worth the search...

later Z Cool
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:20 am Reply with quote
I have it/ It's part of a Region 2 Vampire Hunter D boxset that was released around the begining of this year (both language versions of the film in 5.1 and DTS, plus extra snazz). I can't understand japanese very well, nor did it have subtitles, but it was fairly well done and sounded very nice. But, I'd honestly suggest waiting until a R1 release comes out.

The Box set is Limited, and the individual R2 Japanese language disc is now out of print. You can probably find the VHD box set on www.amazon.co.jp if you look hard enough.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The Rurouni Kenshin dub was done well IMO because it had some of my favorite people. Hayworth, Sparky Thornton, Lex Lang and those are the kind of dubbers who manage to bring their characters to life. My only complaint is Steven Jay Blum was cast for Shishio and he does not fit the character at all.

Trigun was done well. I really liked Johnny Yong Bosh as Vash and Hayworth as Legato was just scary cool.

Wolf Rain ties with Cowboy Bebop for the best dub ever done in my book. Japanese anime has never fit so well with american dubbing. Wolf's Rain left me speechless after I watched on Adult Swim Along with the good dubbing it has a GREAT story to boot.

Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece as well. It's probably the only anime I dont like watching japanese because the english cast is so good. I could never invision Spike with anyone's voice other then Blum's. I think it's a dead knockout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:

Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece as well. It's probably the only anime I don't like watching japanese because the english cast is so good. I could never invision Spike with anyone's voice other then Blum's. I think it's a dead knockout.

I'm willing to admit that the Cowboy Bebop dub is extremely well done, and may very well be the best dub I've ever seen (though I am extraordinarily fond of the Abenobashi dub track), but I must disagree with the people who say that the English dub is better than the Japanese one. Even more so with Trigun. I find the Japanese track much better than the English..
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... while I don't think the Trigun dub is bad, I thought the Japanese had a much better ensemble. Even so, it's decent enough that it does deserve a listen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rage-demon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the Trigun dub wasn't as good as the sub. I thougth Vash had a much more humorus voice and the insurance girls sounded so much better. But then again, i've only watched a little bit of the dub.

As for Cowboy Bebop, i almost can't tell the difference in quality between the sub and dub. They both sound so good.

And i kinda want to ask why so many people hate the dub to DBZ. It boggles my mind that people don't like it... but i'm sure i'm not the only one who doesn't want to see a heated discussion on the topic of "DBZ dub vs. sub" emerge, so i'll leave myself to ponder on that alone.

**EDIT**
Oh, and here's my list of good dubs (in no particular order):

Outlaw Star
Tenchi Muyo OVA
Tenchi Universe
Every Miyazaki movie i've seen
Saiyuki
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
DBZ
Abanobashi Magical Shopping arcade
Fruits Basket (not really one of the best, but still pretty good)

And i'm sure there are more that i'm missing.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:34 am Reply with quote
rage-demon wrote:
And i kinda want to ask why so many people hate the dub to DBZ. It boggles my mind that people don't like it...

(*sighs* hehhh...)

Well, as a former and recovering anit-FUNimation-ist, I would at least like to give my honest opinion just so you'll know my story.

When I first started watching the show, it had the Ocean Group voices. I was new to anime at the time, so I didn't know what to really think of dubbing, let alone had I ever even seen a show in Japanese.

As time went by, I finally got the first 3 movies on DVD and started to come into my own in terms of comparing dubs and subs. I was pretty surprised at the differences between the uncut movies Pioneer made as compared to Saban's version of the TV series.

Years had passed, and I heard the series was going to be put back into U.S. syndication and release.

When I heard a friend of mine bought one of the newly dubbed episodes on VHS, I was excited to see if the show would continue to be as fun to watch as before.

Little did I know, the music, voices, and dialogue style were all changed to something I'd not experienced in the earlier episodes. But still being new to the whole sub and dub thing, I didn't really care as much.

Around the time I got a little more into the show, I had and eventual revelation after doing some research and watching all versions of the franchise (the movies in Japanese and English on DVD, cut on DVD, and the FUNimation dubs.)

I then came to realize that both TV dubs were obviously very different in terms of music. Voice-wise, I thought some of the voices were also a little off. But in direct comparison of voice quality just between the Ocean Group and FUNimation dubs, I had concluded the original dubs had the upper hand in terms of voice matching and acting technique.

And because I was still in that whole DBZ-fanboy stage (not to mention a young and naive 14 year old teen,) I threw many fits to see what I thought was quality anime being turned into "crap" (being the word I used at the time. Razz)

I felt the new voices were just bad imitations of the previous ones and that the voices I was so used to were now hopelessly gone forever from that show. On top of that, I also thought the music was awful. It seemed too dull at some points and there never appeared to be a part when they stopped the music.

And for the next few years, I would go on constant tyraids on how much I hated FUNimation for what they did. I'd buy the DVDs still, but only watch them in their uncut Japanese with the subtitles.

However, after a lot more maturation and some thinking, I now realize why they did what they had to, and I'm gradually losing what grudge I had.

I still dislike that dub to a VERY high degree, but thanks to the opinions of others, I'm willing to let that rookie mistake of theirs go. I've heard many good things about eveything else non-DB related and beyond, so maybe I'll check those out sometime (in both Japanese and English Wink).

It's not that I really hold anything against FUNimation for what they they did. It was a business decision and I now understand they did what they thought was necessary. With the recent addition of Kiddy Grade, Tecnhi GXP, and the licesning of Full Metal Alchemist, it would seem as if they're heading in a much more positive direction as compared to what they had started with DBZ.

I wish them the best of luck and hope they do well in their future ventures. Smile
rage-demon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
Heh... i knew someone would reply to that. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Well Tony, you do seem to have a couple vaild points.

I remember when i was first watching DBZ and i got to the point that the voices changed over, i just went "Hey... new voice actors." And then shruged and kept watching. After all, by this point in time, i got used to shows constantly changing actors without second thought. After all (speaking of Saban), how many times did Power Rangers change their main cast? Even as a little kid i got fed up with them changing actors so often. If DBZ got the same treatment of a new voice actor ever few seasons, then i would have probably hated all of the dubs also. But ignoring the music, i really think Funi did a great job with the voice actors. The voices just seem to perfectly match the personalities.

One thing that i will agree with you on is the bad music. Sometimes i don't know what Funi was thinking (*glares at the crappy GT intro*). Yeah, what the hell were they thinking on that one?

Oh well, and sorry for allowing myself to go off on this.
monkeyDluffy4

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sometimes i don't know what Funi was thinking (*glares at the crappy GT intro*).

What were they thinking? Broaden the demographic by making the new opening a rap song? I have no clue.
I do, however agree with rage-demon that (music aside) the DBZ dub was not that bad. Those voice actors have been doing those characters for years now, so they're all pretty good at their characters. However, I also agree with Tony K. The Ocean group dub holds a special place in my heart, and I miss Piccolo's, Goku's, Vegeta's, and espescially Yajirobe's old dub voices.

Getting back to the topic, I enjoyed the FLCL dub and the Ranma 1/2 dub a lot too. (Japanese was better for Ranma, hands down, but I enjoyed listening to the characters in English. They kind of grow on you.)
animegirl_nyc

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
I"m new here but didn't see any area I could just post to say hi there...so I started to read some sections...came upon this one along the way.

I"m rather new to the world of anime (please go gentle on me, hee hee) and been madly joining egroups, exploring sites and enjoying the anime I have gotten to see so far that introduced me to it on adultswim.

I love what I see so far and have been recording it all...
I also love Hayao Miyazaki films which I had seen before I started to watch the anime on tv.
though the dvds (and I have the cowboy movie on dvd) come with both languages I haven't watched them yet in the Japanese with eng. subs because like a previous poster mentioned it distracts me from the anime I wish to see...I only speak English and since I have not compared the two I don't feel I'm missing anything majorly different.

I did watch one of HM's films with the Japanese language and english subtitles...interstingly enough they use a different translation for the subs then if you watch it with English language and English subtitles...and I preferred the more detailed translations of the English version. I believe that was for Kiki's Delivery Service.

I don't know if I will end up with a collection of anime dvds..looking about and getting a feel of what not to buy as to bootlegs...it's very expensive in the long run and hard to distinguish if some of them have both english and japanese...I think it would be an expensive undertaking at this point so I will have to enjoy what I can see on tv mostly.

perhaps I will try the mangas when I understand about those more but definitly have to be in English or I won't be able to read them

well this is a long first post but wanted to hello and also add my thoughts on dubbing...by the way..Cowboy bebop I love, I think the dubbing in English is very well done...I also like Trigun, Inuyasha, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin etc...I am watching whatever is on adultswim and so far I have enjoyed them all...

I wish Spike didn't die though and we could see more episodes...I got hooked!

too bad I don't get anime network on my cable:-[ Confused Rolling Eyes
animegirl_nyc
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4