• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggesting themes in new audit system...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
There's currently no way to know how reliable a particular info is, but I intend to add that; show the source, if there are any error reports, if it was audited, the result of the audit.

The requirement to participate in audits is to have selected "seen some", "seen all", and "will not finish". Doesn't that imply that the source of everyone participating on genre and theme audits is having watched the show? I see as unnecessary to ask for a source when adding a genre or theme other than having one of the three options active.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain what is meant vby the "real robot" theme? Is it just robots that aren't mecha?

EDIT: Also, how do you all feel about Anti-War as a theme? Anime like Saikano and Grave of the FIreflies certainly involve war, but I think their message is more one of anti war.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Can someone explain what is meant vby the "real robot" theme? Is it just robots that aren't mecha?

It means (at least somewhat) realistic robots used in (at least somewhat) realistic ways - think of the mecha in Full Metal Panic or Gundam for example - as opposed to "super robots" like Mazinger.

Wikipedia articles:
Real Robot
Super Robot
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Also, how do you all feel about Anti-War as a theme? Anime like Saikano and Grave of the FIreflies certainly involve war, but I think their message is more one of anti war.

It would imply that all other anime that have "war" as theme are pro-war.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

It means (at least somewhat) realistic robots used in (at least somewhat) realistic ways - think of the mecha in Full Metal Panic or Gundam for example - as opposed to "super robots" like Mazinger.

Wikipedia articles:
Real Robot
Super Robot

I find it odd that the Wikipedia article has Vandread as a real robot show, considering that they've got combining mechs.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
Combining and transforming mechs aren't any more unrealistic then normal mechs. It's the way they are used that distinguishes a real robot from super robot show.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
You know what would help for distinguishing real from super? A T-chart comparison. Because I read both of those articles, and I (obviously) still have trouble picking which is which.
rti9

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
While taking a look at the Now and Then, Here and There page I noticed the theme "Another world". I was sure someone had mentioned something about this in a thread. Searched and found it:
Moomintroll wrote:
another world (wouldn't this be covered by the "fantasy" genre?)

Then I started to ponder that NTHT doesn't fit in the fantasy genre description:
Dan42 wrote:
fantasy (other worlds, swords & sorcery, fantastic beings)
Story set in a different world where the physical laws differ from our own but are internally consistent. Therefore magic in such a setting is not unnatural as long as it follows a certain internal logic, including limits to the use of magic. In addition to magic, fantasy worlds often contain mythical-medieval elements such as knights, castles, princesses, dragons, etc.
[cannot be combined with magic or supernatural]

In the end I chose to start an audit on "Another world" for NTHT. The problem is the theme itself. It's too vague. All titles of the fantasy genre could also be categorized as "Another world". The choice of the word "another" is the problem. I'm extremely dubious about suggesting this: would changing it to "parallel universe" help?

No Bizarro in anime makes this hard.

OT: This parallel talk reminded me of this.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I definately understand the problem. The thing is, while vague, it's not really incorrect. The thing is, at times, there's a pretty thin line between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and often times they can share concepts and techniques. Take El Hazard for example. The three priestesses use of magic and the race of bugs pretty clearly make it fantasy, but the flying ships are apparently powered by mechanical means. Then there's the Death Star-esque orbital weapon, and Ifurita is robot (essentially).

I guess my point is, "another world" implies that the characters start in the "real world" but transfer to a different one.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I definately understand the problem. The thing is, while vague, it's not really incorrect. The thing is, at times, there's a pretty thin line between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and often times they can share concepts and techniques. Take El Hazard for example. The three priestesses use of magic and the race of bugs pretty clearly make it fantasy, but the flying ships are apparently powered by mechanical means. Then there's the Death Star-esque orbital weapon, and Ifurita is robot (essentially).

That's science fantasy—not that that label is likely to help much.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm having a problem with the 'school' and 'high-school' themes. Wouldn't it be best to just use 'school life' as a theme for school related shows. School and high-school, and even college which I've also seen, seem more like settings than themes. So far I've chosen 'discard' for all of these types of audits, but I figure since I see so many of these I would bring it up here and see what everyone else thinks.

Also, while I'm posting, what is the difference between mecha and real robot? Is there such a large difference that these themes can't be consolidated also? I'm asking because I seriously don't know. I've so far chosen 'keep' for a lot of these but then I see some anime that have both listed so it made me confused.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I'm having a problem with the 'school' and 'high-school' themes. Wouldn't it be best to just use 'school life' as a theme for school related shows.

I'm not sure "school life" makes more sense than "school" - after all, it would be perfectly possible to have a school setting that wasn't focused on normal school life.
I agree that "high school" is a pointless duplication though.

Quote:
Also, while I'm posting, what is the difference between mecha and real robot?

"Real robot" is a sub-genre of mecha (see the links posted earlier in this thread).
rti9

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I guess my point is, "another world" implies that the characters start in the "real world" but transfer to a different one.

The moment I read your definition it suddenly made sense for the three titles to have that theme. The key problem here is that themes don't carry definitions with them. Therefore they should be as unambiguous as possible. If the term "another world" encapsulated only this "exile from the real world" concept, I'd have no complaints. The problem is that the vagueness opens a loophole that allows an association not only with the entire fantasy genre, but with space adventures (another world = other planets), virtual worlds (.hack, Denno Coil), and alternate realities (Jin-Roh, Alien Nine).

undeadben wrote:
Wouldn't it be best to just use 'school life' as a theme for school related shows. School and high-school, and even college which I've also seen, seem more like settings than themes.

Setting qualifies as an important visual aspect.

I second Moomintroll, high school is indeed pointless. Since there is only one title labeled as high school (True Tears) it would be beneficial to replace it with school for searchability's sake. I just wouldn't associate it with college/university. Anime like Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabille, and Moyashimon contrast too much if associated with titles which have school as setting.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Ok thanks, guys, school is good then.

I'm still confused as to why there is a need for both mecha and Real Robot, even after reading the linked page, wouldn't all real robot and super robot titles automatically qualify as mecha as well then. I think I'll just skip those audits from now on. It's not like I have a lot of mech shows on my lists anyway.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I'm still confused as to why there is a need for both mecha and Real Robot, even after reading the linked page, wouldn't all real robot and super robot titles automatically qualify as mecha as well then. I think I'll just skip those audits from now on. It's not like I have a lot of mech shows on my lists anyway.

That way a person can check one box instead of two? Or because the distinction between real robot and super robot can get a little fuzzy at times?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4