• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Incest in Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:
A few problems arise from the latter situation, and one of those still affects those with homosexual partners or parents today. Many people are stupid, mean, and frightfully determined to strip people of their rights for "justice" or "salvation." Homosexual relationships are obviously not acceptable to many people in the United States even after their existence for thousands of years, and we often see people crusading against the distribution of rights to these people, sometimes violently at least in words. Children are even worse a lot of times, and traumatic insults are a big issue there as well. Incestuous relationships would be no better, and they would be a lot easier to persecute as there is a smaller group of outspoken believers in this philosophy.

If I am to understand that segment of your post correctly, you are stating that the discrimination against incest would look pretty much the same as the discrimination against homosexuality? That is an odd thing to say, as it seems to be counter to the rest of your post. (It was my point, actually..)

And obviously an incest relationship where a younge child is being taken advantage of is wrong, but thats looking at incest when acompanied with sexual abuse and rape. I would say an older individual taken advantage of a younger individual who werent related at all would be just as wrong.

Sorry if I confused everyone here, as my central position here is that I am NOT against incestuous or homosexual relationships. I find them both perfectly fine, and cheer when rights and recognition are actually extended to both (though in the case of incest this obviously hasn't really happened yet due to technological and societal restrictions). When I spoke of most of these issues, they generally had to do with the child, and though discrimination in the case of either type of relationship is definitely not right, we have to recognize that in the case of a child resulting from such a union discrimination would probably be considerably worse. Is this right? Of course it isn't. However, parental responsibility has to be considered here, and my personal view is that children shouldn't be thrown into the fray when simple relationships aren't generally accepted by society.

Again, I would be overjoyed if society allowed for the free practice of "abnormal" relationships with no consequence or outside review, but I do realize that restrictions should probably be kept in place with regards to children, as they would probably be hurt if the parents did not adequately "parent" them due to the nature of their relationship or due to the economic situation they may have derived that relationship from (in the case of the lower sections of society mentioned before).
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

hentai4me wrote:
I took an Open University course in AS/A2 Biology while bored at work

Em, that sound a little insulting for those who work hard to pursue a career there... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Received an A+ as the youngest student in Genetics course
B.S. Biology
M.S. Biomedical Sciences

Well back in the day...I was going to study the sciences as I had always been good at them but my father finally started his business and it was becoming quite successful. I could go through the effort of getting a degree in one of the sciences or just follow his advice and get a degree in management(I have a 2/ii in personnel management...so I didn't work hard while at Uni)with a guaranteed job in a managerial position. I went for the easy option.

After several years doing this job; and my eventual recovery; I really hate this...So I decided to use the open university and study A-level courses in my spare time and eventually re-apply for uni and study a course I want to study rather than one that gets me a job I would hate. So after 4 years of working with the Open Uni and studying the sciences I am sitting the exams this year (I'm going to be a 27 year old sitting them surrounded by 17/18 year olds...how great do you think I feel?) and am applying for university again.

I can't see how putting in 4 years of work to get a low level qualification insults someone with a high level qualification...
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Incest is best, put your sister to the test.

The only thing that bothers me about all the incest stuff from Japan is all the non-blood-related siblings crap. At least have the balls to go all the way if you're going to do an incest story.

Also, Ei Itou incest stories= win.
10円

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Why is every body so hip to incest these days? I mean, what's the big deal? Incest should affect like .001% of the population yet we talk about it like it's 10%. What's going on folks? Are you fantasizing about your little sister or big brother? I never had any siblings and I don't find anyone in my family the slightest bit attractive, even that one cousin who tried to make the move on me when I was twelve or that other cousin who sat on my lap when we were both in our 30's. So, can somebody explain the idea of being attracted to a close family member? The whole thing just makes me want to puke.*

*Puke means "barf," "hurl," "blow chucks," and "throw up," etc.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:30 am Reply with quote
I dont think theres many here who are actually interested in having incest. Still though its a mildly intersting topic (especially some of the points whoever compared it to homosexuality raised) and weve got nothing better to do so might as well discuss it. Youre right too, It isnt a big deal cause it affects such a small group. I actually said basically the same thing earlier.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
It is usually excepted that 99.9% of anime and manga is just fantasy of one form , or another showing situations that are, or would, or could be unacceptable by many institutions be they religious, political, legal, or medical. Incest is just another one that is most likely to be on the top of the list of all of the four I just listed, and rightly so. If a brother and sister desire each other in a sexual way, they better do so in utter secret and never procreate a child. I believe it has been acceptable for first cousins to marry in Japan. I've heard that it is only acceptable up to third cousins in the US. First cousins have been married here in the UK but there is yet any legislation that has been agreed to that will define the limit, but brother and sister is illegal, and both can and will be prosecuted if discovered. Indeed I can't think of any nation that legally allows siblings to marry.
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Indeed I can't think of any nation that legally allows siblings to marry.

You have to go back into ancient times for things like that. A few small Samaritan, Egyptian, Greek, and Hebrew (although this is only based on the Bible as Abraham in the Old Testament married his half sister Sara) tribes once allowed the practice. But yeah, in todays world, I could be wrong, but I don't know of any culture that allows it. I don't see it changing any time soon either.

And I honestly don't care, I've never had a yearning for my sister outside of really liking when she visits and cooks dinner and that is only because I get to taste better cooking than my own. But I guess a very few people really do have romantic feelings for their siblings. I'm not one to judge anyone for anything I may consider wrong so "whatever floats their boats," I say.

As far as anime, the practice is obviously more prevalent in hentai titles and anime with risqué subjects either comedic or when used to show someone who is so "dirty" and "dastardly" that they are even in love with their sibling, like in Shana. And even there the love of the two siblings was really questioned by the heroine as she pondered her own potential feelings of "true" or "real" love. And I'm sure nobody believes the twins in Ouran are really having gay incestuous sex. I don't see any anime that really tries to show support or even acceptance toward incest. The only title that I know has really tackled the subject is Koi Kaze and even in that handled it in a manner of telling the story of the two siblings in a way that tried to show potential consequences and trials of such a choice, not in a "ooh my sister's hot I wanna bone here" type of way.

So it is not as if the subject is really rampant in anime or as being pushed as something that should be accepted. Sure it happens but it is not as if it is becoming a movement or anything that is really that big a deal.

(Yes, I wrote a long post just so I could throw in the Bible incest story without it being a one-liner)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
As mentioned anime is about fantasy. What ever genre or type of anime it is there is that fantasy "not real life' element to it. Obviously incest is a real fantasy for some people so there will obviously be some anime directly, or indirectly, dealing with or insinuating the idea of incest. If ya don't like it don't watch it. Simple as that. Whether you find it disgusting or amoral it's still a part of life and will never simply vanish. Same thing goes for homosexuality. I have seen some shows where the element of incest could be there but if the show is done tastefully I don't mind. I try to be open minded.

As far as incest in the real world is concerned, I believe if both people are legal adults and it's consensual then as undeadben said "whatever floats your boat." While it may amoral and wrong by societies terms an rules I personally don't care. I am a realist. Shit happens every day. People starve, mutilate each other, wipe out animal species, and generally screw up this planet and every living thing on it. There so many things I speak against, because I don't believe in staying silent, but I understand most of them will never change. I'm catholic and supposed to be pro-life and homophobic and all that jazz but what's the point? I'm sorry but if you have a brother and sister that are lovers at the pearly gates and that #%%$#%$ from VA I think the siblings will be getting in not the killer. There's just too many truly wrong things in this world to worry about who someone is sleeping with. Hell, if goats could talk and farmer Bob and his goat Curly Sue wanted to get married let them. Have a barnyard hoedown to celebrate. You go worry about that and I'll worry about the convicted murderer living next door to me how about that?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
You have to go back into ancient times for things like that. A few small Samaritan, Egyptian, Greek, and Hebrew (although this is only based on the Bible as Abraham in the Old Testament married his half sister Sara) tribes once allowed the practice. But yeah, in todays world, I could be wrong, but I don't know of any culture that allows it. I don't see it changing any time soon either.

NOt to get all religious, but after God decreed the laws for the Hebrews stated in the book of Leviticus, He did say not to engage in any sexual type of relationship with your sister/brother/father/mother etc. etc. etc. Christians take these laws and apply them to the principles they follow, as well as the Ten Commandments on top of what Jesus Christ said what to do and what not to do in the New Testament.
10円

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Comments about Bob, Curly Sue, and a mad gunman?

Wow. That's, just, all over the place.

I don't really care about other people's incest so long as it doesn't arise between positions of unequal authority or involve an obvious conflict of interest. I suppose siblings and cousins can do as they please once they reach maturity. However, it's my view that parents, aunts, uncles, etc. should seek help if they feel inclined to overstep the line and should never take advantage of their position, even once both parties have reached adulthood. I don't care what other people may say, if you were under the authority of someone else for the better part of two decades that extra emotional influence will likely remain in effect well into your adult life. I'm not saying that you won't be able to repel unwanted advances as an adult, but the impact of having to even make that decision is a burden you shouldn't have to deal with in my view.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I think it has to do with the added Forbiddeness to a realtioship, I mean every since Romeo And Juliet people okay mostly girls have been entrolled by stories of forbidden love and what's more forbidden then a love affair between siblings? To be complelty honest with everyone I used it have a big problem with incest storylines and then I saw Ouran High School Host club and now I am obsesed with the slightest notion of twincest between Hikaru/Kaoru. They are in fact at the moment my OTP. I think part of it has to do with the fact that I am a Yaoi fan girl and well they are both hot and well the thought of them together is hot...so I am a perv oh well Embarassed However, what really gets me about them is that their bond is so special, so intense that I don't want anyone to come between them. Which means they either never experince love or turn to eachother.

Yet this obession with the ouran twincest has also opened the doors for me regarding alot of other really good stories in anime/manga. Take Angel Sancutary it's one of my all time favorites, the art is amaszing and the story is so increable and just heart breaking but there is that thing about Setsunna and Sarah and it should be yucky but it isnt' really.

So I guess the point I am trying to make is that incest rises the bar, making the love story more tragic and well I am sucker for those kind of stories.

And for all those who are going on how disgusting it cause of a chance of an offspring well Yaoi just changes that now doesn't it. And to be honest other then Please Twins, and Angel Sancutary, most of the time I only really like those kind of stories in Yaoi..

Speaking of which does anyone know why the Yaoi story Lies and Kisses is suddently not available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3