• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Hikikomori Festival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...why exactly dont the world/import manga have grades? I've been wondering this for some time. Seems a little...unfair, I dunno.
wings of words

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I think this column is a little biased toward Shonen manga. Shonen manga is SUPPOSED to be cliched, they're like hollywood movies. You're not supposed to look for drama, depth, and character development in them. Especially Jump Manga, Jump is made of crappy romance stories, fights, comedy, and the holy trinity: Effort, Friendship, and Win.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I wouldn't call it hate, specifically, just that, I DO NOT read shoujo, but most of my friends who read manga are girls, and they all try to tell me to read it... and I'm not a big fan of shoujo-style art, or classical music... so the series has nothing going for me...
I'm more into stuff by Sung-Woo Park...

I can understand that. I was just thinking, since the series was printed in English, it has really been a success with readers and critics alike, where I can't recall a whole lot of negative feedback from either party. There's been a lot of praise for it as well, often more than I've personally felt for the series. But I've seen more negative feedback on the series in the past couple of months alone than I can recall from before then. I'm just trying to figure out why it's showing up now, especially when volume 7 was one of my favorite volumes.
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

On topic with BR, a "D" rating does sound a bit hard-fisted, given BR might be generic but is 'a lot more daring' than something along the lines of, oh, Bleach, One Piece, or Naruto. I cannot really give much of a criticism beyond that given I've not read the series and am relying on the heresay of my fellows, but it's worth considering on the next fly-by.

Okay, I give up: What exactly is more daring about Busou Renkin than Bleach, given that it pretty much is Bleach only without the character development? (So far, anyway.) (And I say this as someone who enjoys BR "in the same vague, pointless way I enjoy the A-Team" (to quote Opus), though more for the side bits than the main plot.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Hmm...why exactly don't the world/import manga have grades? I've been wondering this for some time. Seems a little...unfair, I dunno.

This question gets asked in every single thread about this column. There's no grade because it's simply supposed to be a spotlight rather than a regular review.

Quote:

You're not supposed to look for drama, depth, and character development in them.

You're not even supposed to look for character development? What in the hell is the point of reading this stuff then?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
wings of words wrote:
I think this column is a little biased toward Shonen manga. Shonen manga is SUPPOSED to be cliched, they're like hollywood movies. You're not supposed to look for drama, depth, and character development in them. Especially Jump Manga, Jump is made of crappy romance stories, fights, comedy, and the holy trinity: Effort, Friendship, and Win.

I wasn't aware Buso Renkin was a shining example of the genre to deserve a high score. And Tsubasa got a B. How is that biased?

I love shonen manga, but there is a difference between the truly GOOD shonen series like Yakitate!! Japan, which has been heavily praised in this column and the lesser tier shonen series like Buso Renkin.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, when I read a crap review of something that's hilariously bad I just cant help but read the manga to see how crap it really is.
I desperately want the half hour or whatever it was back after reading BokuImo. Not only is it just plain creepy, its just plain badly written. Ew.
edit=I cant spell.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I can understand that. I was just thinking, since the series was printed in English, it has really been a success with readers and critics alike, where I can't recall a whole lot of negative feedback from either party. There's been a lot of praise for it as well, often more than I've personally felt for the series. But I've seen more negative feedback on the series in the past couple of months alone than I can recall from before then. I'm just trying to figure out why it's showing up now, especially when volume 7 was one of my favorite volumes.

Who knows? But it's funny, I remember when I got the first Del Rey volume of Nodame in early 2005 and you couldn't pay people to give a crap about the series. But you chuck a TV drama and an anime out there and suddenly it becomes this tard magnet where everyone's got to have an opinion just because it's there. Personally I think I'd rather take the conflicting waves of INTENSE LOVE versus INTENSE HATE than the sad, dispassionate "meh" that used to emanate about the series. I mean, look what conflicting waves of love and hate are doing for Hideaki Anno a few threads down.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

Who knows? But it's funny, I remember when I got the first Del Rey volume of Nodame in early 2005 and you couldn't pay people to give a crap about the series. But you chuck a TV drama and an anime out there and suddenly it becomes this tard magnet where everyone's got to have an opinion just because it's there. Personally I think I'd rather take the conflicting waves of INTENSE LOVE versus INTENSE HATE than the sad, dispassionate "meh" that used to emanate about the series. I mean, look what conflicting waves of love and hate are doing for Hideaki Anno a few threads down.

I feel the exact same way. When the series first came out, people could care less. Now that it breaks records and starts to become more popular, people automatically love it or hate it. Not all popular series are bad and vice versa, but it boils down to if you haven't read/seen Nodame, either give it a chance or don't label it.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Nodame Cantabile's popularity is annoying, given the anime (and sadly, sounds) horrible and has god awful writing; I've been told the j-drama is good, but since all the material seems to be pretty faithful to one another it sounds far-fetched when following the anime's script. At that, it is surprising that people can jab Bartender as being a cliché "what hobby can we animate next" show, yet take a blind eye to how superficially the writer(s) of NC represent "music culture". Really, it's little more than another spin on H&C, not that H&C was all that good anyway.

I'll never understand why people get annoyed by the popularity of things they don't like. Do you feel so important that it bothers you that other fans don't live up to your standards and share your tastes?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I read very little manga, but RTO is a regular read for me. The new format is excellent. The courtroom feel really emphasizes the fact that these manga are being judged seriously and also it's far more inventive than just Pro and Con.

Out of curiousity, is there an effort made to see if the English release of a series has been edited or censored? It seems like that's never brought up in a review (or at least not that I can remember.)

Also, love the new segment with the Best (or Worst) Ever! manga. I'm In Love With My Little Sister sounds really bad and I like the brutal nature of that review.

I especially love the ending:
Review wrote:
Now, there are some "taboo" series that have been done well—I'm thinking Koi Kaze or Hourou Musuko—but I would not, among any of them, include "BokuImo," which should be killed with God's purifying fire.

By the way, was it ever confirmed that this showed up in a bookstore here in the US? There's a thing in the encyclopedia that mentions a newstory about some Japanese manga volumes showing up in Waldens and Borders.

The reviews in RTO are really making me want to start buying Welcome to The NHK!. I don't have nearly enough dark and serious manga.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

I'll never understand why people get annoyed by the popularity of things they don't like. Do you feel so important that it bothers you that other fans don't live up to your standards and share your tastes?

It's tougher to ignore something when it's popular, since it's always up for discussion or gets frequent featurings in news articles. At the same time, I'm a bit curious as to why people find something I dislike to be interesting, but petulant when people don't even assay to tell me why they like it.

Recreation of an actual conversation:

Quote:

Me: Why do you lot like Nodame Cantabile?
Friend: It's about music. It's also funny, looks great, and is really sweet.
Me: OK then, how is it "funny, looks great, and is really sweet"?
Friend: Just watch it and you'll see what I mean.

So, as I sigh, Unlimited Rolling Eyes Works.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
But I've seen more negative feedback on the series in the past couple of months alone than I can recall from before then. I'm just trying to figure out why it's showing up now, especially when volume 7 was one of my favorite volumes.

Probably because more people are being pulled in by the good reviews, and there won't be as high a percentage of those who like the series. At first it was probably a niche crowd who would automatically pick it up and tend to like it.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Quote:

I could probably fill in some details...

Funny: Nodame's antics are funny, how she tries to get Chiaki to like her. I like how Chiaki always ends up cooking dinner for Nodame, to his chagrin. One of my favorite sketches was when Mine helps Nodame impress Chiaki, but ends up turning her into a mess, which he likens to a "dutch housewife". Masumi the gay timpanist who refers to himself as a girl is meant to be funny too, but I don't find him particularly funny.

Looks Great: The animation is really nice. Especially the opening animation and how smooth it is. They make the characters playing instruments exquisite to look at. The color pallette is muted but gives a gentle beauty to the atmosphere.

Sweet: Nodame's genuineness towards her friends and the way Chiaki actually looks out for her when she gets into trouble is very sweet.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

Recreation of an actual conversation:

Quote:

Imagine this... other people find your descriptions about why it's bad just as vexing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6