• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't More Anime Shown On American TV?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Mostly because legal streaming on services like Crunchyroll has made it unnecessary to show anime on even cable TV channels.

I do think we may see a lot more anime--even English-subtitled--on serivces like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in the future, though.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

If you're talking about the United States, anime, for most people, is this distant, almost mythical thing that a bunch of kids and a few creepy manchildren are really into. The only series your random Average Joe will recognize by name are Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Naruto, and maybe Ghost in the Shell, One-Punch Man, and Attack on Titan even if they cannot recognize any of the characters and all anime looks the same to them.

Ever seen the Adult Swim series Perfect Hair Forever? That's how many Americans perceive anime to be like.

And American TV mostly caters to out of touch White baby boomers and Starbucks drinking hipster kids who don't have time to read novels so resort to serial adaptations instead. They're not any better.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
By the way Answerman, I really appreciate your answer and is very informative. But why did you reuse that question and your answer for the article today, even though it can be found in "The Changing Tides"? Were you recently getting a lot of emails from people asking you a very similar question? I'm not trying to blame you or anything, I'm just curious.

Since we switched to the new single-question format, a lot of people are going back and reading a lot of back articles and finding the ones they wanted to learn more about. However, the questions that are lumped together with a few others under ambiguous titles get ignored. So, about once a week I've been going through those old columns and finding the "good" questions that still apply today, and reposting them in the new format so that readers can find them again. Most of them need a little updating, but this one didn't.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't know much about Doraemon's ratings numbers, but I quite enjoyed what I saw. I felt like I was 12 again.

The ratings weren't so great. The season 2 finale only pulled in 69,000 views. No, seriously: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/disney-ratings-thread.5459741/page-3

jsevakis wrote:
Since we switched to the new single-question format, a lot of people are going back and reading a lot of back articles and finding the ones they wanted to learn more about. However, the questions that are lumped together with a few others under ambiguous titles get ignored. So, about once a week I've been going through those old columns and finding the "good" questions that still apply today, and reposting them in the new format so that readers can find them again. Most of them need a little updating, but this one didn't.

I see. That totally makes make sense. The single-question format is a lot more convenient than the multiple-question format.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of Streaming Anime, so I watch Anime on Blu-ray, DVD, Toonami and Anime Network On Demand. I did watch Love Live on MNet America back when it was on.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Hoo-boy. Ain't it the truth.
Have to remember, when Saban's Power Rangers hit syndication in '91, and DiC's Sailor Moon hit in '92,

Minor correction, DiC's Sailor Moon hit North American airwaves and cable in 1995, Sailor Moon only started airing in Japan in 1992.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Long story short: America is not Japan.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I think the real question is why do people still pay for TV? I just have an internet connection and I am still able to enjoy all the American/Japanese television I want! Well at least until they kill net neutrality but then I always have my blurays...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
And American TV mostly caters to out of touch White baby boomers and Starbucks drinking hipster kids who don't have time to read novels so resort to serial adaptations instead. They're not any better.

You say that like as if I'm not a viewer of American TV.

epicwizard wrote:
The ratings weren't so great. The season 2 finale only pulled in 69,000 views. No, seriously: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/disney-ratings-thread.5459741/page-3

Yikes, I can see why that was pulled then. Doraemon didn't really fit in with Disney XD's general style though.

Random Name wrote:
I think the real question is why do people still pay for TV? I just have an internet connection and I am still able to enjoy all the American/Japanese television I want! Well at least until they kill net neutrality but then I always have my blurays...

Me, it's for the stumble-upon factor I mentioned earlier that you cannot get with streaming.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
^ I get a limited amount of TV stations in a bundle with phone and Internet and, even though I subscribe to Netflix now, I still like having linear channels for first run shows and as background noise.

EDIT: That was a reply to Random Name's "why do people still pay for TV?" question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't know much about Doraemon's ratings numbers, but I quite enjoyed what I saw. I felt like I was 12 again.

Ouch! That's got to hurt. It seems that Doraemon wasn't nearly as big a hit many have hoped...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ever seen the Adult Swim series Perfect Hair Forever? That's how many Americans perceive anime to be like.

More specifically, that's what Adult Swim considers anime to be, from the perception of folks who consider DBZ to be all anime.

Particularly for CN, who had to air the whole darn Majin Buu saga.
All of it. Every night. For what, two years, three? Not counting reruns?
Whatever goodwill CN bore its one most successful anime tentpole cooled quickly, and the perception that DBZ Is All Anime didn't help their patience with it either.

If you think PHF was an immature rant against DBZ, check out the scene in Warner's live-action "Speed Racer" movie:
In what's meant to be a winking "comedy-relief" scene to its anime origins, we see the characters watching an even Adult-Swimmier "parody" of generic DBZ fight anime on TV, drawn in over-the-top kitschy style, with Hanna-Barbera Jonny Quest music running in the background...Well, it is 00's Warner, after all.
Yeah, they may run Kai and Super, but those DBZ-created traumas at CN toward anime and its fans run pretty deep. Asking CN to license your favorite anime show for cable broadcast is sort of like asking the guy whose car you just hit whether he'll polish yours for you.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the answer is "it use to be." Even cartoons on US TV have dropped off most stations. There's cartoon channels such as CN, and you've got the animation block on FOX Sunday nights, but the traditional home of animation, Saturday morning TV, is essentially gone. Things have changed.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I read the headline, and wanted to see if Justin would hit on the concise, historical one-word answer:
"Escaflowne". Razz
Early attempts to bring over Slayers and Case Closed's success fell through, and then, they (FOX) were persuaded for the licensor's next big local anime phenomenon of its day: Escaflowne.
(facepalm)

Nelvana's Cardcaptors still had enough generic cute-fantasy-action appeal with its heroine and Pokemon-like "card" premise, and Tokyo Pig was kiddy-cute, but ohhh....where do we START explaining why Escaflowne was not the stuff you would stake the network on for mainstream Saturday morning??
A "girly"-appealed show that mixes mecha and fantasy? Might work on paper, until you got a LOOK at the darn thing--If you were a clueless network exec who thought "Anime is weird", the prosecution rested. You might just have well tried showing Utena on Fox Kids.

Even for a younger show, the standard anime taste for somber, pretentious over-written series-serialized Game of Thrones-like fantasy arcs that you might see on Spice & Wolf or Seven Deadly Sins was not made to be shown between toy commercials to a sugar-cereal fueled audience that was waiting for the new Ninja Turtles episode. And let's not even get into the stylized animation style, the cute catgirl, or what the heck was up with those noses. Confused
Fox naturally blamed the show, did a Best-Buy and decided "no more anime!", and by that time...DBZ had moved to Cartoon Network. And the rest is history.

Some shows just belonged to the complete attention-span of core anime fans on disk. And by that 00's point, the entire anime-fan industry got their stuff on DVD (or DVD sales to CN), why go anywhere else?

The edited dub of Escaflowne aired in its entirety, for several years, in Canada. On a youth channel. It was not shown only in a late night timeslot but throughout the day; You could watch Escaflowne on Sunday at 2:30 pm, complete with commercials for Mousetrap and Honeycomb. I imagine that, edited, it was perceived as more akin to Gargoyles than -insert PG-13 equivalent to Spawn here-; Inuyasha and Cybersix got later timeslots. It wasn't as wildly successful as Sailor Moon, in 1995 or 2000, but it didn't tank.

I just think that Fox was not the appropriate channel for Escaflowne: Even leaving out behind-the-scenes stuff, the poor show (We get Fox up North, too) was in a shitty timeslot and was preempted every other damn week; It probably would have had much more success in America on a specialty channel.

John Thacker:
Quote:
The US doesn't need the equivalent of Canadian Content regulations in order for foreign entertainment to get outcompeted by things made more to local tastes, and that applies as much to broadcast and cable TV as it does to streaming entertainment.

Canadian content quotas HELPED foreign animation get a stronghold in Canada: Many Japanese and European cartoons were dubbed in Canada, back in the day; Those counted towards channel quotas, as their existence in English had paid Canadian paychecks, so cable channels used them A LOT.
________________________________________________________________________________
Despite anime's historically heavier presence in Canada, what's kicked anime on TV in the pants here is the same as what has in the States-The advent of the internet as the primary source for new and exciting shows being watched in a new and exciting way.; I don't think any country is safe from that.

And, yes, I am still one of those people who watches most of her TV through cable.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I love the use of the School Rumble screenshot for today's question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7