• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Simpsons Honor Miyazaki With Tribute

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
To bad he didn't really retire. . . . .again.

The sources that claimed this are currently unreliable. No one else, in the comments on the Japanese otaku site or source reviewers, have claimed to have heard the New Years' Eve broadcast. And there's a chance that, even if it were true, he's not coming out of retirement, but rather, he's just continuing with the manga he already said he'd be working on a while ago. He only retired from film directing, but it was clear that he wouldn't quit anything else just yet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't the Japanese equivalent of The Simpson's be either Sazae-san, or My Neighbours the Yamata's?
hojo 360

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Never been big on the Simpsons but at least there Honoring something that deserves it^^
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Not that this Simpsons scene isn't noteworthy, but why did Bob's Burgers never get a mention here when the Thanksgiving episode from 2012, "An Indecent Thanksgiving Proposal", had a direct homage to the tree growing scene in My Neighbor Totoro? I find the Bob's Burgers tribute to be a lot more "knowing" and with a point, not just incorporating random imagery from all Miyazaki movies in a general parody.

Bob's Burgers gets no love it seems.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Wouldn't the Japanese equivalent of The Simpson's be either Sazae-san, or My Neighbours the Yamata's?

I would say Sazae-san if only for longevity (of course Sazae-san had a good 20 year stretch).

And that's My Neighbors the Yamadas" by the way, though looking on Wikipedia, I see it's still going on as well, though now the focus is shifted to the daughter of the family (kinda like what happened to strip "Fritzi Ritz" becoming "Nancy" when the focus shifted from the older woman to her niece).
http://nonochan.net/
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

Although the Totoro homage scene is an exception (being based on a scene in the film that had no dialogue, if I remember correctly), most of the comedy in Bob's Burgers is dialogue-based, so it's more of a slow-burn comedy compared to (modern) Simpsons or (the entire run of) Family Guy.

The ratings for the most recent episode of Bob's Burgers actually exceeded those for Family Guy (although they were down almost 6 million from a very mediocre The Simpsons episode that immediately preceded it) so plenty of people are watching Bob's Burgers, it'll just never be as iconic as The Simpsons because The Simpsons had a two-decade head start on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

Although the Totoro homage scene is an exception (being based on a scene in the film that had no dialogue, if I remember correctly), most of the comedy in Bob's Burgers is dialogue-based, so it's more of a slow-burn comedy compared to (modern) Simpsons or (the entire run of) Family Guy.

The ratings for the most recent episode of Bob's Burgers actually exceeded those for Family Guy (although they were down almost 6 million from a very mediocre The Simpsons episode that immediately preceded it) so plenty of people are watching Bob's Burgers, it'll just never be as iconic as The Simpsons because The Simpsons had a two-decade head start on it.

I also think Simpsons can reach a more varied audience than Bob's Burgers. I love BB myself but I can admit it's not as easily accepted as Simpsons is. Simpsons simply is a bit more....tame and can really be accepted by all sorts of families. I can see many parents not liking BB or thinking it's too low brow in comparison. Plus there is the long standing iconic pedigree the show does have going for it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
Well, at least they didn't mock anime the way Family Guy has done...

Because god forbid any of us have a sense of humor about our hobby. Rolling Eyes
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
Well, at least they didn't mock anime the way Family Guy has done...

Pretty much. I don't like The Simpsons as much but it still does some nice things from time to time. Family Guy already jumped the shark a long time ago and most of the jokes now are either toilet humor or just downright cruel.
Mammal21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
The whole scene was tribute to spirit away featuring spirits and no face, the mayor was referencing the mud/water spirit, bullies were kohaku. Some guy was the big baby

Porco Rosso- Chief Wiggins was the titled pig

Ponyo- Chief Wiggim's son was designed like the little girl.

Howls moving castle- Kwik-e mart was the castle, Mo was turnip head

Kiki's delivery service

Princess Monoke-Mo was the monk as Jigo.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Who should have retired first, Miyazaki or The Simpsons?

This is no contest -- the Simpsons hasn't been good since the last millennium.

I largely agree, though there's an odd episode or two here and there that I enjoy, and I liked the movie. Still, for the most part, it's been a long scream into a yellow oblivion.

It's pretty sad that the best part of the show know are these tribute openings they've had lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Who should have retired first, Miyazaki or The Simpsons?

This is no contest -- the Simpsons hasn't been good since the last millennium.

I largely agree, though there's an odd episode or two here and there that I enjoy, and I liked the movie. Still, for the most part, it's been a long scream into a yellow oblivion. .

Think it's only in the last five years that they've put their neuroses behind them and tried to concentrate on actual comedy (to keep Family Guy from lowering the Sunday night property values)--
Whereas they'd thrown away most of the late 90's and early 00's on "Matt, er, Homer vs. Religion", and "Enemies of the Show Must Be Punished!"

Most historically draw the dividing line at the "Monorail" episode as both the last Conan O'Brien-written episode, and the last genuinely funny episode of the "classic" early/mid-90's series. Make of that what you will.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
PipingHotTea wrote:
Family Guy already jumped the shark a long time ago and most of the jokes now are either toilet humor or just downright cruel.
Please don't remind me of the beached whale. Crying or Very sad

I don't care for the Simpsons anymore and I think it should be put to bet but this outstanding tribute put a smile on my face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3