• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 11 Arrested in Japan for Uploading via Share Program

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysteryGreenTea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, look at that list. Goes to show you you can't hide from the law.
tudza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Why are these people re-inventing the wheel when Freenet already exists?
Greboruri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
The alternative is that this bill could hurt their economy further in the sense that people will be less willing to buy stuff they've never heard of or let alone know about. Many people in Japan are collectors....collectors want to know specifically what they are buying before they buy it.
One wonders how Japanese companies who issued those extremely expensive LD box sets in the 1980's and 1990's survived then Rolling Eyes . Fans can still watch anime on TV to find out what they like, just like they have been for decades. Nothing has changed. In fact as the OVA market is pretty much dead, most stuff is TV anime anyway, so it’s even easier to find out if an anime is for you or not just by switching on your TV or recording it to watch later.

Regardless, maybe Japanese companies should take a look at what happened in Singapore with Odex. They should really have a good hard think about what they're doing and what they're trying to achieve and if this is truly the best solution. Alienating your customer base isn't good idea, even if you think those downloading don't pay for your products (which in that case, why are they bothering in the first place?).
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
While I applaud them for finally get tough on illegal file shareing (took them long enough) and such, I'm not sure arresting these people is the best way to handle it. While I am apposed to illegaly uploading/downloading anime and stuff, I don't think people who do it should be punished like this. I think a fine more then covers it. No one should have to do jail time for crimes like this. I do agree we need to put a stop to the uploading of raws, for many reasons, but I sort of doubt this is the best way to go about it. But hey if it works that's great. I sort of doubt it will though.

Don't we need RAWS for AMVs?
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Intellectual property laws are there to balance the system between artist and production companies to prevent someone from HAVING to give their life's work away for next to nothing while publishers et. al distribute the work and make loads of money without having to give a equivalent payment to the artist.
IP laws have worked stunningly badly then.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
All of these older males should have the money to buy some of the anime or music.

Even if you discount the unemployed persons, you still have to remember that it can cost $1200 to own just one show. (24 ep, 2 ep / dvd)

Furthermore, people like to assume that people who download illegally buy nothing and people who don't buy everything, when the truth is actually closer to the opposite.

So despite pirating, they've just removed 10 paying consumers of their goods. Customers who, for example, might not have afforded the lucky star DVDs but did buy a couple of figures instead. The same customers who would've bought nothing at all had they not download lucky star to begin with.

If they really throw down the hatchet come Jan 1, I can see Japan becoming another Odexed place.

kefkaownsall wrote:
Prede wrote:
While I applaud them for finally get tough on illegal file shareing (took them long enough) and such, I'm not sure arresting these people is the best way to handle it. While I am apposed to illegaly uploading/downloading anime and stuff, I don't think people who do it should be punished like this. I think a fine more then covers it. No one should have to do jail time for crimes like this. I do agree we need to put a stop to the uploading of raws, for many reasons, but I sort of doubt this is the best way to go about it. But hey if it works that's great. I sort of doubt it will though.

Don't we need RAWS for AMVs?

Yep (or alternatively softsubs; but they also need raws to begin with).

And this would also harm Kadokawa's strategy with youtube as well, not to mention their efforts in embracing co-opted consumer content overall.

Last edited by configspace on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I would be angry at all of the "glad the bastards got caught, rot in jail" posts. However, it seems that no matter how serious or trivial an offense is - any offense - that is discussed in a thread, there is always at least one person who cheers for the police/prosecution. It could have been a woman who was beaten by the Taliban government for wearing a hijab instead of a burka c. 1999, and there would always be at least one a**hole posting, "She should have known what was going to happen; can't feel sorry for her." Perhaps he (they're almost always men) was trolling. Maybe he's a misanthrope. It might be that he was genuinely that dumb/unreasonable when it comes to the application of state power. But it always happens.

And that is why I hate the Internet.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
I would be angry at all of the "glad the bastards got caught, rot in jail" posts. However, it seems that no matter how serious or trivial an offense is - any offense - that is discussed in a thread, there is always at least one person who cheers for the police/prosecution. It could have been a woman who was beaten by the Taliban government for wearing a hijab instead of a burka c. 1999, and there would always be at least one a**hole posting, "She should have known what was going to happen; can't feel sorry for her." Perhaps he (they're almost always men) was trolling. Maybe he's a misanthrope. It might be that he was genuinely that dumb/unreasonable when it comes to the application of state power. But it always happens.

I'm glad you think that highly of your own opinion.../sarcasm
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I'm glad you think that highly of your own opinion.../sarcasm

Care to clarify?
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
You're using your own personal ideas of justice to say others way of thinking are ridiculous because they follow the law more strictly. Thus if one doesn't think as yourself they're being illogical.

Cue semantics war.
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Cue semantics war.

Nice way of cutting off debate, because if I respond then I'm just engaging in a semantics war because your own idea is generally correct. /sarcasm
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Except that I'm only saying that I'm correct in describing what you're doing. You're saying your subjective opinion on the situation beats out another's. There's no reason to listen to your opinion if you don't have anything on your side but you. I'd say that correctly sums up what I initially responded to right? Your sarcastically mocking and remarking on how ridiculous some other group of people think simply because it appears moronic to yourself.
Lothar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
As long as anything I say is just a "semantics war" to you, I've already "lost", so debating with you is pointless.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Quote:
Imagine if all the animators and writers and directors were just doing this for free as a hobby in between salaryman jobs.
We'd get more beautiful works like Voices of a Distant Star? More work created out of love of creation rather than the intent and expectation to reap a profit? A few excellent shows rather than scads of mediocre ones is definitely a preferable state of affairs.

Let's actually think about the specifics of what is lost versus what is gained for a minute though. If there was no money to be made then practically all anime TV shows, movies, OVAs wouldn't exist. Now I know that a lot of that stuff is shit. But clearly there are a ton of notable for profit works as well that managed to be great despite attempting to profit. We'd be sacrificing all that too.

Now I guess your thinking is that as a result of this many of these people will pursue independent work. Well, that's nice in theory but in practicality how many are actually going to succeed? Even if you assume that these people all just love anime so much, the truth is that the vast majority are probably just going to accept that anime isn't a job and move on. Especially the numerous little guys who do all the grunt work. Then there's the ones who simply won't have the time it would take. Maybe they're willing to put in the hours and hours it would take to realize their idea but it's simply not possible if they also want to support themselves and their family. Of course then there's the stuff that even the most committed person could simply never create on their own. There's the massively extended time it will take to create just one short feature. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that there's no reason to assume these independent works will actually be any good. Even if someone puts the time and effort in, they still may not be that talented. There's also the major concern that the massive difficulty of independent production will actually ruin a work by forcing the creator to make a variety of sacrifices. In effect, this can be just as limiting if not more so than the need to be profitable.

In the end, yeah maybe you will see a few more anime like Voices. But that's really all it will be. A tiny few. In return you would be sacrificing the mountain of titles that did attempt to turn a profit and yet were also fantastic.

Lothar wrote:

Why don't you quote the person who is apparently doing this (assuming they exist). I actually agree in a sense. Claiming that if someone breaks a law, regardless of whether it is just, they deserve to be punished is absurd. That said, unless you actually have some particular post(s) in mind, this is just an inflammatory comparison with no basis intended to vaguely suggest that anyone who disagrees with you is just biased and can't possibly genuinely believe that the people in this particular case deserve it.

Lothar wrote:
As long as anything I say is just a "semantics war" to you, I've already "lost", so debating with you is pointless.

Well yeah but we're arguing on the internet so really, we all 'lose' in a grander sense.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Nice to know dangerous file uploaders are off the streets and in jail where they belong. Obviously Japan has no violent crime if this is how the police are spending their time. Now if they can book those renegade jaywalkers, the country will be paradise.

not gona happen anytime soon.Hopefully this will send a strong message to illegal streemers and fansubbers over there. Now if only the US govt will get off their lazy butts and do the same too.

Quote:
Japan's Copyright Law prohibits unauthorized uploaders but expressly allows people to download for private use. The Japanese government is pushing for a ban on unauthorized downloads as well, despite receiving thousands of messages from citizens opposing the ban.

I really hope that happens. illegal downloading needs to get taken on by the horns. Now if the US will do the same thing,as well as go after fansub groups and push video sites like veoh,youtube and mysoace to make more effort to removed unauthorizied anime on their servers then everything will be set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9