• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Macross DYRL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I saw one Macross movie/OAV when I was younger(like..11) called "Macross II:Lovers Again" and i liked that ok :/

but after doing some research and finding out that fans don't like "lovers again" then I guess that means i'll LOVE macross:DYRL Anime hyper
"Macross II" was produced by an entirely separate team (bar 3) than the rest of the Macross franchise, and a completely different studio.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
lordescamh wrote:
Oh man, this takes me way way back. Probably the first anime I'd ever watched. DYRL is truly one of the classics.

I haven't seen a space opera yet that has topped it.

If LoGH was given a budget and a short yet thrilling arc to cover, it could be up there as well. Something like the first part of Operation Ragnarok as a movie with a movie budget would be immense.

edzieba wrote:
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I saw one Macross movie/OAV when I was younger(like..11) called "Macross II:Lovers Again" and i liked that ok :/

but after doing some research and finding out that fans don't like "lovers again" then I guess that means i'll LOVE macross:DYRL Anime hyper
"Macross II" was produced by an entirely separate team (bar 3) than the rest of the Macross franchise, and a completely different studio.

It was produced without Kawamori, when he was in the phase of not wanting to do a Macross sequel. It's still a decent OVA when compared with other things from the time, but not when compared to other Macross titles. Unfortunately all that's available in the US includes that, the original series, and Macross Plus. The original series in the box that ADV released recently seems hard to find, and the new re-masters of Macross Plus make the Manga ones completely obsolete.
Annf

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
WHERE IS MY GODDAMN BLURAY?

Haha, yeah, a lot of us are waiting for that. It's pretty much a given it's just a matter of time though.
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, everyone should watch Flash Back 2012 if only for the parts during Angel's Paint for the scenes left out of DYRL of Minmei, the concert, and the Megaroad 01.

BTW, for those interested in this, the Macross Flash Back 2012 DVD, at least the original version, is region 1,2,4,5, which may be of interest to people not accustomed to dealing with region 2 discs. (That may have changed on newer re-releases, though.)
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what the original dub sounds like (apparently a train wreck), but 3 or 4 months ago I watched a fandub done of the entire movie. Christina Vee was casted as Lyn Minmay and it was actually quite good. I enjoyed watching it, and it being the first and only incarnation of Macross I've ever seen, it made me want to watch some more from the series.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes DYRL. I actually only remember seeing the opening fight and nothing else. Guess its time to search the internet for a copy.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Obea ta ima suka! lovely film...while yes it is considered a alt telling of the events (cannon wise the movie was refed as movie in verse from Macross 7 onward). still one of the best pieces of animation ever made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I don't know, I love the movie to death, but there's this sense of "Women Belong in the Kitchen, making Babies" chauvinism sprinkled throughout it that doesn't quite sit with me right. Its not, you know, in your face, just some particular scenes and moments that make me raise an eyebrow. Considering I never got that sense from SDF-M.

I really should sit down and give it a rewatch, its been a while.

EDIT: I suppose it might be due to the movie being about "Love" and Male and Female roles. That's probably why its so noticeable. To me at least.

I doubt it Shouji Kawamori is basically a liberal stereotype (and I am a liberal too). Women's rights are something that are probably something he cares deeply about.

Personally I have never seen this movie, and if Kawamori's recent output is any indication I don't want to see this movie.
Heretic

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I gave up trying to find a decent anything of this a long time ago. I am very much content with having the TV series, but I'd love to own a solid release of this gem.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Personally I have never seen this movie, and if Kawamori's recent output is any indication I don't want to see this movie.

Well... no, it's not. Kawamori is very bipolar, half of is output is spectacular and the other half is pretty terrible. He's unfortunately not been doing so well lately, though I'm really enjoying Basquatch right now.

DO NOT judge him on Arjuna or Aquarion. Go watch this, Macross Plus, Spring & Chaos and his Genius Party short "Shanghai Dragon" immediately.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The English dub release was kind of weird cause the way they edited, it was like they killed off the main guy at the very end but the girls were still smiling despite that. Them some cold hearted women.

It never occurred to me that maybe, JUST MAYBE this was edited too like so many animes back then. Finally got the see the actual movie thanks to this article. I might just try to remember other old animes I saw as a kid and see if they got edited too.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
i'm sure Egan Loo and AreaSeven (and some others) will eventually point these out, but here are some minor typo-corrections for the article:

Thanks dude, fixed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Well, this was before all that recent garbage. This was even before his greatest work, Vision of Escaflowne. So, he was still in his prime at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Well, 2009 didn't turn out like that at all...yet! Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Unless you have seen Macross: Do You Remember Love?, you have simply not seen mecha anime.
I've seen this meme said so often about NGE, or Rahxephon, etc. I remember seeing the dub of DYRL on Sci-Fi UK years ago. It was showing its age then and the dub was an early attempt at the business, so I wasn't so impressed with it as I was with Macross Plus.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
Ah, I know this one well! Anime hyper I have the uncut VHS which was when I first watched it both thrilling and horrible to listen to! Especially coming off Robotech, my brain had a terrible time digesting the very cockny sounding accents that clouded the movie. Of course, in time, I began to understand it better and now the cheese aspect of the dub is just another joy of the movie! Anime hyper Still, I've LOVE to see a proper release and dub (and of course, my ultimate wish would be that they dub it with the Robotech cast since their voices are the ones permanently imprinted on my mind as the voices of these characters! Of course, they should leave Minmei's songs alone. :p) at some point before I DIE. Especially considering modern VCRs don't have tracking dials... Grrr...

I actually asked the Robotech guys at a con about it last year and they said that an official DYRL release is something they themselves would KILL to put out but... Until the legal issues surrounding Macross are ironed out... No release.

Of course, the only bad part of this movie is that it gave me a false impression of dubs coming out of Best Video. i.e., I thought THEY themselves were responsible for it and passed up the ONLY opportunity I ever had to buy the dub of Arcadia of my Youth which was also put out by Best Video. A friend of mine bought the last copy in this city, apperantly, and to my great shock and horror--it's dub was absolutely PERFECT! NO cockniness or any other funny business, everyone sounded FINE! But by then it was too late... I've never seen that tape again and I wish I hadn't passed it up on account of DYRL. Probably my greatest regret... -_- Only later would I find out about WHY DYRL sounded like that. Oh, well. Maybe some day Arcadia will also get a proper bilingual release as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7