• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria the Virgin Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
Here's some extra context that may help. (Or may obfuscate things further.) The episode 10 title, Odi et Amo, is a reference to one of most famous (and one of the shortest) poems of Catullus.

Odi et amo. quare id faciam fortasse requiris?
nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

I had to translate it for one of my uni exams but I'll spare you my feeble efforts. Here's the translation from Guy Lee in an Oxford Universty Press edition of the poems:

I hate and love. Perhaps you're asking why I do that?
I don't know, but I feel it happening, and am wracked.

I think it fits several of the imponderables in this episode. All of the characters, bar one, find themselves doing things out of either love or malice and their reasons for their feelings elude them (or they don't stop to wonder). The one huge exception is Michael/god, who is deservedly accused of lacking any trace of these human emotions. It seems that the paradox is that it's humans who are ineffable, not god.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
If the reference is correct, more irony since Catullus was a pagan during a time when the Jewish God wasn't troublesome for the Roman Republic.

The God of the Christians (and the Jews and Muslims to boot) is a jealous God who brooks no accommodation. Michael's seemingly petty swipe at Viv for her comments seems par for the course and would look more natural if it were a human with a position of appropriate religious authority doing the deed.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
When have we seen Gilbert spoiler[getting medicine from Edwina's familiar]? I cant seem to remember that
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
When have we seen Gilbert spoiler[getting medicine from Edwina's familiar]? I can't seem to remember that

I might be wrong, but way back in episode 3 spoiler[Gilbert is handed a small parcel from a woman in a hood with the same hair colour as Edwina's familiar.]

I had guessed the Church had the same supplier as Maria for medicines, it's only in this episode that it's been confirmed. By all accounts, Edwina was visibly shaken a couple of weeks ago when she heard about the situation, not surprising if she spoiler[was responsible for preparing the hallucinogen. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Some people have been saying this show is nuanced in its portrayal of the villains. That seems ridiculous to me. These are more or less the most despicable villains I've seen in recent shows. At least most of the other villains we see in anime have some larger goal in mind (usually conquest/world domination). I still am not really sure if Bernard and the Church have any goal at all in this show (and given Bernard's recent psychotic break and his sudden disinterest in Maria, it just makes him seem even more like a pointless villain).

There is a very good reason "some people" are saying the portrayal of the villains in Maria is more nuanced relative to a lot of other anime: it's because it is. To me the antagonists all have clear goals: Galfa wants to be rich (and bed lusty wenches - can't blame him there), Bernard wants to uphold the temporal power of the Church (the Jesuits hadn't been created yet during this time period, but if they were, he'd be one for sure) and Le Comte wants to drive the English out of France. Michael's goal is to preserve the dignity of Heaven while actively interfering as little as possible.

Maria stands athwart all these plans and desires, ergo the enmity. The interesting thing is that all these dudes have actually tried to reason with her or pursue methods other than just killing her (until recently). So yeah, in anime terms that counts as nuance as far as I'm concerned.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Mysterious ways doesn't = asshole ways. That's the God that's been portrayed by this show. Christianity teaches about a merciful God, but we have yet to see any indication of that here.

Michael =/= God

Michael is acting as an authority figure in the name of God, which makes it easy for both the characters and some viewers to equate them, but they are not actually one and the same. Whether or not that matches current theological standards in real life, I think this is very important to understanding the nature of this fictional universe.

Michael enforces some of the rules that God has established, but that doesn't necessarily have to limit nor restrict the ways in which the deity can manifest directly. And yes, those ways are in fact relatively mysterious.

The above was proven back in episode 3, when Michael was stopped from dealing the finishing blow on Maria and the whole virginity restriction came into effect. Even after Joseph showed up, Michael could have still continued to fulfill his task. He only completely stopped when it started raining.

In other words, it can be argued that the rain was a mysterious sign of God's mercy that Michael, as robotic as he is, had no choice but to accept, regardless of the orders he had been originally given. I would further submit the theory that both the virginity restriction, Michael's antagonistic intereference and Maria's standing up for her beliefs may well be part of a test.

Last edited by jroa on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
The other point to make is that Michael has given Maria plenty of rope to hang herself. He is definitely not a "one strike and you're out" kind of Divine Rep. In fact, he seems more like a "10 strikes and I might actually have to get serious here" kind of fellah.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

There is a very good reason "some people" are saying the portrayal of the villains in Maria is more nuanced relative to a lot of other anime: it's because it is. To me the antagonists all have clear goals: Galfa wants to be rich (and bed lusty wenches - can't blame him there), Bernard wants to uphold the temporal power of the Church (the Jesuits hadn't been created yet during this time period, but if they were, he'd be one for sure) and Le Comte wants to drive the English out of France. Michael's goal is to preserve the dignity of Heaven while actively interfering as little as possible.

Maria stands athwart all these plans and desires, ergo the enmity. The interesting thing is that all these dudes have actually tried to reason with her or pursue methods other than just killing her (until recently). So yeah, in anime terms that's counts as nuance as far as I'm concerned.

I will concede that Galfa does have a goal (albeit a very minor, parochial one - though murdering and raping in order to gain wealth and sex is something that I would certainly NOT call nuanced) but I don't agree that the Church has been portrayed as having some obvious larger goal. First of all, we have not yet seen any serious threat to the Church's rule that would necessitate their villainy. In fact, Bernard has been shown to have no problem whatsoever working with witches. He offered for Maria to become his disciple essentially and use her magic for the benefit of the Church. In his last scene with Maria, he couldn't even articulate why what she does is wrong. He was literally befuddled by her after she explained her views, to the point he became like some raving lunatic. If you had to characterize what Maria is/was to Bernard, the best you could say is that she represents some intellectual pursuit and nothing more. It would be different if she and other witches were openly at war with the Church and the Church then decided it would "eliminate all witches." That would be more of a legit goal, but we haven't seen that. Instead, at most, we've seen Bernard obsess over Maria to the point of creating an "inquisition" that is seemingly solely targeted at her village. We haven't seen them on a larger witch hunt and there's been no indication that any witches other than Maria are in danger.

So, we have this laser focus by the Church on Maria, wanting to rape her and/or kill her at varying times, but then just as Bernard captures her and has this "victory," he suddenly forgets why he was out for her in the first place and wanders off muttering to himself. This is Kayaba all over again. WHY? What is his goal? He doesn't even remember.

I think Michael/God's supposed goal is even more off the mark. They're supposed to have a strict rule against intervening in the world, and yet God sends two (not one, but two!) of his representatives to directly interfere? The show hasn't even attempted to explain this, or what goal God is really after here. And I would think if Michael's goal was to preserve the "dignity" of the heavens, if he WAS going to interfere, it would be to stop his earthly representatives from raping an innocent girl in order to effectuate a condition he put in place.

jroa wrote:

The above was proven back in episode 3, when Michael was stopped from dealing the finishing blow on Maria and the whole virginity restriction came into effect.

Actually, this just proves my point - Michael can only do what God makes him do. You can split hairs about whether he is a manifestation of God if you want to play semantics, but he is essentially God's hand in the world in this show. He's not going to go against what God decrees.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
CK, some of your comments truly puzzle me. First, you seem to require that a villain have some sort of clear, major goal (i.e. take over the world) or else he/she cannot be nuanced. Sure Galfa's desire for wealth is a parochial goal - so what? How does this affect whether his portrayal is nuanced or not? The reason why some of us feel he is somewhat nuanced is that he has not been portrayed as a simplistic, "mwah-hah-hah-hah, I lurvs me some money!" guy. He was ordered to rape Maria and he did not. As far as he was concerned, his job was simply to prevent her from using magic, which he did. I believe he stopped short because of some non-simplistic positive feelings for Joseph. Now, you may not accept this an example of nuanced characterization, but at the very least you should be willing to grant that doing so isn't "ridiculous."

The very pliability you mention about Bernard is an example of his nuanced portrayal. A lesser show would have made him a cardboard cut-out of Church orthodoxy, which he is not. That's why I identified his Jesuit qualities: he's not much fussed about what methods to use as long as the end result is the maintenance and expansion of the Church's power on Earth. His meltdown with Maria I interpret as an example that his "faith" springs from an intellectual place as opposed to an emotional one. Which again is in line with his somewhat bloodless portrayal. I think his loss of interest in Maria stems from the fact that, as far as he is concerned, the answer to the question, "what do we do with a problem like Maria" (heh) has been answered. A lesser show would have him twirling his moustache as he exults in his nemesis's plight, but he's not that kind of guy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
CK, some of your comments truly puzzle me. First, you seem to require that a villain have some sort of clear, major goal (i.e. take over the world) or else he/she cannot be nuanced.

That's not the only type of goal that they can have, but it helps if it is something more than the most crude, basest of human desires. That is not nuance. Wanting loads of money and sex does not make a character nuanced. Nuance in this context means that there is a larger "method to their madness." It means that a character who appears to be black and white evil is actually doing something that seems bad for a larger purpose. That is the meaning of having some larger goal. Again, Galfa just wanting as much money and sex as he can get is not "nuance."

Quote:
He was ordered to rape Maria and he did not.

This has never been confirmed by the show. In fact, every indication that was given was that he penetrated her with his metal hand. He indicated that, Joseph indicated that, and all of Maria's friends indicated that. Even the atmosphere of the scene indicated that, with the magical light going out in her house just as he was doing something to her. The only counter point is that her familiars are still familiars, thus indicating her magic isn't completely gone. If, at some point, the show says he didn't actually penetrate her then fine. Until then, I see no reason to think he didn't rape her.

Quote:
I believe he stopped short because of some non-simplistic positive feelings for Joseph.

The guy he is threatening to kill in the current episode? I don't think his "feelings" for Joseph, if they exist (I don't think they do), were present at all in Maria's house that night. All I saw was a detestable person beating and raping a girl, and then skipping out of the house cackling like he'd just won the lottery.

Quote:
The very pliability you mention about Bernard is an example of his nuanced portrayal. A lesser show would have made him a cardboard cut-out of Church orthodoxy, which he is not.

Again, what is the difference between him and a cardboard cut-out of Church orthodoxy? All we've seen from him is orthodoxy. The only hints that we've gotten at anything else have been undermined by his sudden and unexpected descent into utter madness. Again, that's not nuance. Insanity is not nuance. Nuance is someone with a larger agenda in mind that complicates how we see them, usually from a moral perspective.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
CK, some of your comments truly puzzle me. First, you seem to require that a villain have some sort of clear, major goal (i.e. take over the world) or else he/she cannot be nuanced.

That's not the only type of goal that they can have, but it helps if it is something more than the most crude, basest of human desires.

No. A character's goal, whether large or small, is absolutely irrelevant to whether they are being portrayed in a nuanced way. You could have a nuanced portrayal of a character who wanted to take over the world. You could have a simplistic portrayal of a character who wanted to take over the world. You could have a nuanced portrayal of a character who wants to cross the street. You could have a simplistic portrayal of a character who wants to cross the street. Frankly, I find "I want to take over the world!" villains are usually treated simplistically. What I appreciate about Maria is that the antagonists actually have goals that are grounded in real world and psychologically understandable terms.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

This has never been confirmed by the show. In fact, every indication that was given was that he penetrated her with his metal hand.

I don't want to get into a "what constitutes rape?" digression here, but the show seems to be indicating that Galfa was expected to penetrate her with his penis and this enforced loss of her "purity" would prevent her from being able to use magic ever again. Whatever did actually happen is shrouded in ambiguity but it seems, based on the show's internal logic, that Maria's "purity" is intact, albeit perhaps not her hymen. I'm guessing that under normal circumstances Galfa would have had no problem doing what was asked of him. He has been shown to have a soft spot for Joseph before, so the fact that he stopped short, I think can credibly be interpreted as a "favour" to Joseph. That doesn't make Galfa a nice guy or excuse his actions, it simply shows that he has a way of behaving that isn't completely in line with a simplistic, black hat portrayal. And as much as he may have a soft spot for Joseph, I have no problem believing he'd kill him if he absolutely had to. Let's see how things resolve next week.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
The very pliability you mention about Bernard is an example of his nuanced portrayal. A lesser show would have made him a cardboard cut-out of Church orthodoxy, which he is not.

Again, what is the difference between him and a cardboard cut-out of Church orthodoxy? All we've seen from him is orthodoxy. The only hints that we've gotten at anything else have been undermined by his sudden and unexpected descent into utter madness. Again, that's not nuance. Insanity is not nuance. Nuance is someone with a larger agenda in mind that complicates how we see them, usually from a moral perspective.

Your contention that all we've seen of him is orthodoxy is flat out wrong and contradicted by your own observations of his actions. Proposing to Maria that she use her powers to increase the glory of the Church is hardly orthodox behaviour. Nor were his other attempts to dissuade her from interfering in the wider world that stopped well short of violence and rape. It was only when it was clear that absolutely nothing was going to veer her from her self-appointed path that he, in essence, shrugged his shoulders and thought, so be it. He is not insane. Yes, he had the kind of meltdown you might expect from somebody whose faith springs from an intellectual, rather than spiritual, passion, but that hardly makes him crazy.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Actually, this just proves my point - Michael can only do what God makes him do. You can split hairs about whether he is a manifestation of God if you want to play semantics, but he is essentially God's hand in the world in this show. He's not going to go against what God decrees.

This is more than a matter of semantics. It is evident that he cannot disobey a direct order from God. But God can absolutely manifest separately, in ways that seemingly contradict Michael's behavior. God told Michael "stop witches from altering the natural order" but he also gave special treatment to Maria all of a sudden.

Why? For some reason we can't quite understand. God's will isn't limited to whatever orders he gave Michael at any prior point in time. It can go above and beyond them. They are not mere reflections of each other. I'd say God is the programmer and Michael is a mere program that can be started, terminated, replaced or rewritten.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

No. A character's goal, whether large or small, is absolutely irrelevant to whether they are being portrayed in a nuanced way. You could have a nuanced portrayal of a character who wanted to take over the world. You could have a simplistic portrayal of a character who wanted to take over the world. You could have a nuanced portrayal of a character who wants to cross the street. You could have a simplistic portrayal of a character who wants to cross the street. Frankly, I find "I want to take over the world!" villains are usually treated simplistically. What I appreciate about Maria is that the antagonists actually have goals that are grounded in real world and psychologically understandable terms.

It is not "absolutely irrelevant." It is usually the core driving force behind how they are portrayed. Take Light Yagami for example. For most of Death Note he is a nuanced portrayal of evil. Why is he nuanced? Because his goal is to rid the world of "bad people" i.e. criminals. In other words, (in the context of what we are discussing) nuance is usually introduced with an "ends justyfing the means" analysis. We are presented with a character who is probably evil, but the writing causes us to question the larger morality of what "evil" means they are employing because they have some end goal they are working toward that could be beneficial. Kyubey is another example of this. He's nuanced because he has a goal - protecting the universe from apocalyptic decay. The means he employs is to inflict unimaginable suffering on infinite numbers of innocent human girls. If his goal was "absolutely irrelevant," then he wouldn't be a nuanced character. He would just be an evil psychopath and would probably not be recognized as one of the best villains we've seen in recent anime.

Goals matter when it comes to nuance. Usually, they are the most important thing. This is because when we are dealing with antagonists, the "means" are almost always bad. A character could have a goal and not be nuanced (LIKE the example of Galfa you just made!) but often times you have to look beyond the immediate goal if they are, in fact, a nuanced character. (E.g. someone could have a goal of world domination, because their ultimate goal is to bring order to chaos and end all wars. Thus, the immediate goal of "world domination" might simply be a means to the ultimate goal.)

Blood- wrote:
I don't want to get into a "what constitutes rape?" digression here, but the show seems to be indicating that Galfa was expected to penetrate her with his penis and this enforced loss of her "purity" would prevent her from being able to use magic ever again. Whatever did actually happen is shrouded in ambiguity but it seems, based on the show's internal logic, that Maria's "purity" is intact, albeit perhaps not her hymen. I'm guessing that under normal circumstances Galfa would have had no problem doing what was asked of him. He has been shown to have a soft spot for Joseph before, so the fact that he stopped short, I think can credibly be interpreted as a "favour" to Joseph. That doesn't make Galfa a nice guy or excuse his actions, it simply shows that he has a way of behaving that isn't completely in line with a simplistic, black hat portrayal. And as much as he may have a soft spot for Joseph, I have no problem believing he'd kill him if he absolutely had to. Let's see how things resolve next week.

I never wanted to be in such a digression either, but the show seems to have forced that upon us, which is why I think Gabrielle was way off in saying that the show handled the rape in the best manner out of any anime. It opened up a Pandora's box. I think it would have been much better for the show to just be clear about what happened so that people wouldn't have to ponder the meaning of rape. Although I wouldn't say that is a topic that is off the table in general, this show is just not equipped to tackle such a challenge in a meaningful way. But hey, it could surprise me in some way by the final episode. However anime rarely pulls off those types of Hail Mary (heh) passes.

Blood- wrote:

Your contention that all we've seen of him is orthodoxy is flat out wrong and contradicted by your own observations of his actions. Proposing to Maria that she use her powers to increase the glory of the Church is hardly orthodox behaviour. Nor were his other attempts to dissuade her from interfering in the wider world that stopped well short of violence and rape. It was only when it was clear that absolutely nothing was going to veer her from her self-appointed path that he, in essence, shrugged his shoulders and thought, so be it. He is not insane. Yes, he had the kind of meltdown you might expect from somebody whose faith springs from an intellectual, rather than spiritual, passion, but that hardly makes him crazy.

I'll admit that my words were not precise there, but what I was saying is that the non-orthodoxy stuff we've seen from him has been effectively cancelled out by his sudden loony tunes performance. It makes it seem like any greater intellectual goal he was considering is nothing but a one way ticket to insanity. As a result, he walks off muttering like a lunatic while leaving his subordinate to reinforce the orthodoxy that he'd been spouting himself previously.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
First of all, we have not yet seen any serious threat to the Church's rule that would necessitate their villainy. In fact, Bernard has been shown to have no problem whatsoever working with witches. He offered for Maria to become his disciple essentially and use her magic for the benefit of the Church. In his last scene with Maria, he couldn't even articulate why what she does is wrong. He was literally befuddled by her after she explained her views, to the point he became like some raving lunatic. If you had to characterize what Maria is/was to Bernard, the best you could say is that she represents some intellectual pursuit and nothing more. It would be different if she and other witches were openly at war with the Church and the Church then decided it would "eliminate all witches." That would be more of a legit goal, but we haven't seen that. Instead, at most, we've seen Bernard obsess over Maria to the point of creating an "inquisition" that is seemingly solely targeted at her village. We haven't seen them on a larger witch hunt and there's been no indication that any witches other than Maria are in danger.

And that's because Maria is the only witch in the story who has acted openly (at least until spoiler[Edwina pulls her rescue, anyway]). Since witches otherwise act covertly, she is the only one that the Church is aware of, or there probably would be a broader persecution.

Otherwise I think Blood- has already articulated pretty well on what Bernard's motivations are, why he reacted the way he did, and why he lost interest. He is very definitely a more complex character than your typical anime villain and very definitely not "Kayaba all over again." In fact, I don't at all see how that comparison is being drawn. He hasn't forgotten his goal; he's just achieved it and is moving on.

Quote:
I think Michael/God's supposed goal is even more off the mark. They're supposed to have a strict rule against intervening in the world, and yet God sends two (not one, but two!) of his representatives to directly interfere?

When has Michael interfered with humans? So far he has only interfered with Maria and Viv. Ezekiel has engaged some humans in discussion, but that is hardly interference. The only point you could make a case for was her telling Galfa about Maria's vulnerability, and that was more Ezekiel being careless (because she presumably did not comprehend the consequences of her action) than willfully choosing to interfere. In fact, the unintended consequences of that action could be looked at as Exhibit A for why the Heavens don't interfere in the actions of humans and don't want other supernatural entities to do so, either.

To put it in more sci fi terms, God as portrayed in this setting is essentially following Star Fleet's Prime Directive from the Star Trek franchise.

Quote:
And I would think if Michael's goal was to preserve the "dignity" of the heavens, if he WAS going to interfere, it would be to stop his earthly representatives from raping an innocent girl in order to effectuate a condition he put in place.

But wouldn't that be sending an awfully mixed message? Many other actions involving death and destruction are being done in God's name in the series (a point that the series has hammered home on many occasions), so stepping in here would be playing favorites. And it's not like God or Michael publicly announced Maria's vulnerability; it was a blunder on Ezekiel's part that put the idea into Bernard's head.

Quote:
You can split hairs about whether he is a manifestation of God if you want to play semantics, but he is essentially God's hand in the world in this show. He's not going to go against what God decrees.

To be clear, I only ever said that Michael was a manifestation of God's will, not God Himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
@ CK - with respect to our discussion about villain goals and how they relate to whether the portrayal of the villain is nuanced or not, I think we might be talking past each other a bit. Based on some of your earlier posts, you seemed (to me, at least) to be suggesting that a nuanced goal was a prerequisite for having a nuanced villain. For all I know, perhaps that what you really mean.

What I'm driving at is that a villain does not NEED a nuanced goal to be a nuanced character. Obviously, if he has a nuanced goal then that helps make him a nuanced character, but there are plenty of other ways to be nuanced. Tell me if I am inadvertently misinterpreting your point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 28