• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 Manga Gets New Anime

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:15 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:

FishLion wrote:
So coming back to Ranma, we only have one creator for the manga, our word of god there is Rumiko Takahashi. I saw one person quote her as "I don't think about it, and I don't think you should either" when I googled that there were no results except this forum and a goodreads review for an unrelated book, so take that with a grain of salt....

This is the apparent source of the quote: https://www.furinkan.com/takahashi/takahashi92.html

Gotta say it’s pretty ballsy to attempt to pretend you’re providing proof when the actual link proved it has nothing to do with the claim
“ What would happen if Ranma got pregnant? (“I don’t care to think about that, and you shouldn’t, either.”)”

I was not pretending anything, and do not understand your reaction to my simply posting a link to a former magazine editorial that claims to answer someone else's question. Truly puzzled here.

ATastySub wrote:

Also the mods have already edited your previous posts to stop using denigrating language so maybe take the hint and stop using it.

I went back through the entire thread and did not see a single comment from a moderator saying they were editing my post to remove offensive language? How am I supposed to avoid behavior that I am not even aware of being considered wrong?

Or is it my opinion that the VA who performs best in a blind audition should be chosen for a part which is causing offense? If advocating meritocracy is not allowed, please inform me.

I request that a moderator either respond to this post or in a PM that tells me exactly what I did that violated the forum rules.

Moderator's Note: I made the call not to issue a warning based on the assumption that you were speaking in good faith from a position of ignorance. To clarify, the preferred term for trans people is, simply, "transgender." The other term, which you used, is often viewed as anachronistic and offensive by trans people (but not to the extent of being a slur), so your language was edited. This was the "hint," I suppose.

We generally try to give users the benefit of the doubt in cases like this, and we understand that not everyone is fully aware of or engaged with certain social issues. For my part, at least, I don't want to "punish" anyone for clumsy speech. Hope that clears things up. –F
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:48 pm Reply with quote
All this fighting about the people demanding a trans voice actor is tilting at windmills. I run in very trans-heavy fan circles, and I haven't seen this at ALL. I've seen a lot of people discussing Ranma as part of their journey of self-discovery. I've also seen folks gearing up for a culture war fight about whether or not trans readings are valid and/or intentional, which in my opinion is silly because of course they're valid and who cares whether or not they're intentional.

What I think is happening here is light turner made up a guy to get mad at, and you all fell for it. Pics or it didn't happen.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:01 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
All this fighting about the people demanding a trans voice actor is tilting at windmills. I run in very trans-heavy fan circles, and I haven't seen this at ALL. I've seen a lot of people discussing Ranma as part of their journey of self-discovery. I've also seen folks gearing up for a culture war fight about whether or not trans readings are valid and/or intentional, which in my opinion is silly because of course they're valid and who cares whether or not they're intentional.
I've seen some people hoping they cast someone but it's like this is their personal fantasy casting wishes and not anyone demanding a boycott or anything of the dub if they don't cast a trans VA. And I've seen just as many fans demanding they bring back the original dub cast as much as there has been for a trans VA. So it is a thing but people are being selective and overdramatic about it. I've also seen a handful of queer VAs hoping they have a chance at the part but it's again not as dramatic as people making it out to be.
light turner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:04 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
What I think is happening here is light turner made up a guy to get mad at, and you all fell for it. Pics or it didn't happen.

I commented on the people, mainly Cardcaptor Takato, saying that there would be no one complaining about the content in Ranma when it airs by pointing out I had already seen it pop up on the internet and listed a few examples of what I saw. In this thread alone there were people wishing Happosai to be written out of the reboot or be ceremoniously killed in the series by being run over by a truck and then the past few pages were filled with talking about VA casting both for and against various ideas. The examples I was referring to was more on social media sites like X and Reddit, however.

If you specifically mean the part where I mention voice actors int he industry then I suppose I can directly link to them if you want.

"If no trans women are involved in this dub it is an affront to anime."

I'm not sure what part you think I'm making up or why I would make anything up to begin with.
Yukinon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Ranma 1/2 was one of the first series that really got me into manga and anime and I love it for that, yet I also hold the opinion that it's best left in the past. A lot of it hasn't aged great, and what has aged well has been ripped off, recycled and improved upon by other series, plus nothing can change that wet fart of an ending it has except a total rewrite.
But whatever.

Yes, the anime has too much filler and no real ending. The manga is a lot better though. I hope the new anime adapts the manga and not the anime.

The manga ending has Ranma say “I love you” to Akane, and she later agrees to marry him because of it (she told the parents, but not him). Then they bicker about that as usual, and the rest of the cast who are each in love or lust with Ranma or Akane break up the wedding. Mr. Tendo then says they will hold the wedding after they each get their affairs in order. The last page of is of them happily racing each other to school, with the words, “And so the game of love goes on into overtime.”

The anime ending is about Ranma finally meeting his mother, but he can’t ever meet her as his real self, because of her notions of what real manliness is. He would have to commit seppuku for being half girl.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:51 am Reply with quote
I'm letting the posts stand. The discussion is valuable as it reflects important changes in our societies.

Please continue to be polite and don't denigrate anybody's gender or sexuality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:42 am Reply with quote
BTW, my quotation of Rumiko Takashi's words is not an attempt to seal of the discussion, but simply pointing out that maybe some people is making a fuss on something that in Japan is not an issue*. If they think Kappei Yamaguchi and Megumi Hayashibara can play both Ranmas, they'll have them in the roles. If not, they'll change any or both and their gender/sexual identity etc. won't be an issue*.
Ditto for Happosai: they're not in the era of "he he he, look that dirty old man being slapped", so probably they will tone him down a bit.

* you can try to discuss why is that. This is not the place, I think.
** as when someone claimed a not-white VA should play Suletta in Mercury, while in Japan she had a not-special-background voice actress.
FishLion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:08 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Fair enough, but I never made that contention.

I only mentioned that argument because that is taking it too far in my opinion. Nothing you have said is wrong, but if you were to make the argument that calling for a transgender VA is opposed to meritocracy and part of an agenda to force people to view the role as queer than that would dip into conspiracy.

Piglet the Grate wrote:

I apply Kant's Categorical Imperative here, that the only moral rules are those applied universally, so it is morally inconsistent to require a transgender character to be only voiced by a transgender VA, and not similarly require a cisgender character to be only voiced by a cis VA.

In addition, even if we believe a transgender character is better voiced by a transgender VA, that would come out in a blind audition that picked the best VA for the role.

I think you are confused about what I'm saying because you are looking at the adjectives instead of the nouns. Cisgender as a term is mutually exclusive to the definition of transgender, but the traits of cisgender people are not mutually exclusive to the traits of transgender people. The ideas cisgender and transgender are two untouching concepts while concepts of cisgender people and transgender people are more like a Venn diagram. The activities and lives of cisgender people are well documented to the point that many people who aren't women have becomes familiar with the experiences of them, while transgender people have been underrepresented to the point that if you do not have personal experience it could affect the way you play the role.

This isn't theory, I gave several examples of Hollywood attempting to portray transgender experience and failing spectacularly. There are also examples of cisgender actors doing a great job of portraying the experience, as I have heard of Transparent, so I am not calling for a ban or anything. I just think that for a cisgender actor portraying a transgender role well there needs to be other trans people on set to keep it from being grossly inaccurate.

Wanting characters that are queer to get queer voice actors is not a violation of Kant's Categorical Imperative, they are just working off of different categories. You are thinking of two adjectives being diametrically opposed and therefore the attached nouns are diametrically opposed, so your maxim might be, "These groups are completely separate (something many people would disagree on) and therefore if we want one to be represented by only the one group, the the other group must only represent itself as well".

The categorical imperative of somebody who pushes for queer people in queer roles might be something like, "An underrepresented group is going to be less understood and therefore someone outside of a small group would likely have gaps in their knowledge that leads to issues with embodying the role." They might further think about a trans role "These groups have a lot of overlap, but there are specific parts of this experience that a cisgender person would not understand and therefore we should consider this dearth of experience when sharing our picks for actors in roles."

Using this logic, you can simultaneously call for the best actor for the job and think that best actor to play the role would be a queer person because of their experience. It is pretty common to also think a small and underrepresented group would represent their own experience better. It isn't really that different from thinking the actor with a singing experience should be in a musical. Do you think saying that "all musicals should be acted out by people with singing experience" would lead to a moral imperative to exclude singers from non-singing roles?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ranma's female form doesn't sound different from his male form because of voice feminization training but because his female form is physiologically equivalent to a teenage cisgender girl.
juaifan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Ranma's female form doesn't sound different from his male form because of voice feminization training but because his female form is physiologically equivalent to a teenage cisgender girl.

Your post reminds me how the Kodansha USA version of Onimai adds the word "cisgender" to the dialog at times when characters originally just say "girl" or "boy". I think classic tropes like genderswap or bodyswap come with a lot of baggage in a modern American political world these days and need to have a lot of disclaimers or addendums to them.

I generally don't care about fan discussions so people can think whatever they want about a show since it doesn't change the actual reality of the situation, but I do value how an official localization treats the work or presents it so I'm curious to see how they will translate and localize this series in 2024 compared to how the original was released here.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:56 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:

If you specifically mean the part where I mention voice actors int he industry then I suppose I can directly link to them if you want.

"If no trans women are involved in this dub it is an affront to anime."

I'm not sure what part you think I'm making up or why I would make anything up to begin with.

I notice she said "involved." Not playing Ranma or any other characters, necessarily. "Involved" can mean a lot of things -- acting, writing, directing, casting...

And I mean, Ranma 1/2 was pretty formative to a lot of trans fans! Some of whom now work in the dubbing industry! Who can bring their unique experiences and skills to creating a modern dub that honors the original! I don't think that's such a wild thing to say.

But keep tilting at those windmills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11