• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Industry Group: Total Anime Sales Dipped 7.4% in 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
All domestic animation sales (for grown-ups and kids) were 89.430 billion yen in 2007. However, all domestic animation sales were higher in 2006 at 95.028 billion yen.
Ah, you're right, I'm not exactly sure why I left those out. Perhaps because I'm not primarily concerned about children's anime, but rather the otaku market.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
another tidbit for Greg Ayres' PowerPoint presentation.

but seriously though, the future of the anime industry lies in digital distribution and marketing. i am willing to bet most average anime fans spend more on merchandise than they do dvds.
also a lot of more people are watching their anime on TV or downloading it as it comes out. what they need to do is find a way they can get out episodes before the fansubbers do, and at the same time benefit. i actually commend Crunchyroll on this one. they may not be the most ethical site, but what they're doing with Gonzo is a big step forward.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i actually commend Crunchyroll on this one. they may not be the most ethical site, but what they're doing with Gonzo is a big step forward.

Except that they aren't doing anything really.

The translations and subtitling is done by BOST along with Gonzo, CR just rolls out the finished product on their site. Also CR is just merely one of the several distribution channels that Gonzo is working with. If to give credit, give it all to Gonzo for the bold experiment, then maybe BOST for the translation/subtitling. CR doesn't do anything.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think the anime market is just kind of hitting a stale period. Either that or I'm just getting bored of seeing the same thing over and over again. Since I started watching anime right around the boom of a few years ago, I'd assume many people are starting to have similar feelings. This, combined with a recessing global economy, could easily explain this.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Well, the automobile industry is going down, too - I would say it's mostly because of the general trend of the world economy not doing really well, and people not spending a lot of money on things they don't want to afford - anime DVDs still are more expensive than usual ones.
I bet the food industry is doing rather well, ironically.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:10 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Kireek wrote:
Well I buy anime and over the past 2 years I didn't buy a single ADV title and they had a lot of the market.........why didn't I buy an ADV title you may ask because (and im sorry to say this) most of it was tripe that myself (and I suspect many others) did not want.

Wow, that was a really needlessly argumentative post. Even by internet standards, I'm kind of surprised by it.

He does have a point. When all your sending overseas is the cream of the crap, demanding outrageous licensing fees, and stifling progress, and then you experience a slump, don't go and blame the fans. They voted with their wallet, and sought alternative means. Either put out or shut up!!

v1cious wrote:
but seriously though, the future of the anime industry lies in digital distribution and marketing. i am willing to bet most average anime fans spend more on merchandise than they do dvds.

What the Japanese need to do is think globally, not domestically. Just because the model does well in Japan, doesn't mean it'll work in the USA. Also, there has to be sacrifices, something that many companies don't seem to comprehend (I'm looking at you Toei).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, theatrical anime production, video production and licensing fees, video distribution, merchandising, and overseas sales all also experienced sales declines compared to the previous year.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
When all your sending overseas is the cream of the crap, demanding outrageous licensing fees, and stifling progress, and then you experience a slump, don't go and blame the fans. They voted with their wallet, and sought alternative means.

Will the industry adapt its overseas business model or simply become more hesitant to licence series abroad, in case it results in a loss? I just hope that those in charge have a genuine passion about anime and are motivated by getting the shows out to those who'll enjoy them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
magatsu17

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Honestly, I think the anime market is just kind of hitting a stale period. Either that or I'm just getting bored of seeing the same thing over and over again. Since I started watching anime right around the boom of a few years ago, I'd assume many people are starting to have similar feelings. This, combined with a recessing global economy, could easily explain this.

I agree, a lot of animes that come out every new season are way to similar. One thing that i liked about anime when i first got into it was that it was so different from anything in america. But now it's all so similar to anime that i've previously seen that i'm kinda getting annoyed by it. I need more stuff that is imaginative like Black Lagoon, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, or Welcome to the NHK. But since those series, i've haven't seen anything of that caliber since.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Well, the automobile industry is going down, too - I would say it's mostly because of the general trend of the world economy not doing really well, and people not spending a lot of money on things they don't want to afford - anime DVDs still are more expensive than usual ones.
I bet the food industry is doing rather well, ironically.

Actually Starbucks reported their first quarterly loss ever. The number of their stores has been reduced to merely everywhere.
It's probably a mix of fansubbing and just crappy markets
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Like you said, Kefka, it is likely due to fansubs and bad marketing of sales.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Like you said, Kefka, it is likely due to fansubs and bad marketing of sales.

No offence to you or Kefka but damn another argument about fansubs on a anime forum instead of people talking about anime and enjoying it............Now theres a suprize
missing_soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Just compare Slayers Revolution with Slayers Anything Before That.

They didn't have to do the character generation, the world building, nothing. The only goal was just use the franchise well.

But they changed what worked well to today's standards: stuffed animal added as protagonist (the antagonists are just as bad), Amelia behaves like a second grade school girl most of the time, Gauri is just plain idiotic with no wisdom coming from the simpleminded, Xellos is just ... nothing special.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
magatsu17 wrote:
BleuVII wrote:

I agree, a lot of animes that come out every new season are way to similar. One thing that i liked about anime when i first got into it was that it was so different from anything in america. But now it's all so similar to anime that i've previously seen that i'm kinda getting annoyed by it.

It's different because you've not experienced with it before. Then, the more you get familiar, the more you realize the similarities. Yet, it'll always be different to someone new to it. The trick is bringing that someone new.
missing_soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It's different because you've not experienced with it before. Then, the more you get familiar, the more you realize the similarities. Yet, it'll always be different to someone new to it. The trick is bringing that someone new.

Oh well. Just like car makers: do bring someone new. Rolling Eyes

Or just like Hollywood: do not follow the easy way of selling a blockbuster Rolling Eyes
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Well I buy anime and over the past 2 years I didn't buy a single ADV title and they had a lot of the market.........why didn't I buy an ADV title you may ask because (and im sorry to say this) most of it was tripe that myself (and I suspect many others) did not want.

Nope. I believe most of my DVDs do come from ADV. Cromartie High School FTW!

I'm sorry, I love ADV to death, I really don't know many others who don't ,but yeah.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:

He does have a point. When all your sending overseas is the cream of the crap, demanding outrageous licensing fees, and stifling progress, and then you experience a slump, don't go and blame the fans. They voted with their wallet, and sought alternative means. Either put out or shut up!!

..... >_>; *yawns.* I don't think anyone said the fans were to blame on this article...but you had to throw that out, ne? It could include anything at this point, Sales are going up on other things, fans don't buy for other obvious reasons as well. xD So partially they kind of are to blame, but not the way you're making it sound.

I'm not claiming them evil for not purchasing things, but man...Milk is like what, $5 a gallon now? x_x

But meh, that was last year...this year, I think I bought anime like 3 months ago, and I haven't been able to buy a new title yet due to the fact that other expenses came up.

Anime dazed I hope this doesn't turn into another fansub debate, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3