• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paramount+ Increases Subscriber Prices on August 20

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Star Trek fans. Though it's probably a bad idea to do the increase in a period when they aren't going to be releasing any new Trek.

Well that and cancelling any of the ones they already have
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Does Paramount+ even have anime?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:36 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
They have Sonic the Hedgehog which is a Japanese IP which is why I assume it's relevant to ANN news.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:44 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Beavis and Butthead.

I joke, but Paramount + does have Nickelodeon on it, so there's anime-adjacent stuff like Avatar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I was curious about this and all I could find was some Japanese anime that they distributed that I don’t think is on the service.

Along with finding out they’re apparently supposed to be involved with a Puyo Puyo movie.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Remember when cable/satellite was demonized because it was so expensive and it had commercials streaming was supposed to fix all that?
Now in order to watch anything you need like 10 different subscriptions and they still have ads and at this point the price for having all those subs is similar to cable anyway.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Remember when cable/satellite was demonized because it was so expensive and it had commercials streaming was supposed to fix all that?

Unless I’m overlooking something a monthly streaming subscription is going to be less than a monthly cable bill. You also do get ad free streaming if you pay a premium.

And while having multiple streaming services would add up that all depends on exactly what you want to watch.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
catandmouse wrote:

Unless I’m overlooking something a monthly streaming subscription is going to be less than a monthly cable bill. You also do get ad free streaming if you pay a premium.

And while having multiple streaming services would add up that all depends on exactly what you want to watch.

Right now, sure, but the problem is it is following the same pattern as cable. It went from a few services that had basically everything, to companies keeping things to themselves so you have to buy more to get access to things. The prices going up with increasing frequency. The mix of paid plus ads even though subscriptions were supposed to mean there was no need for ads. More recently, bundles of streaming services, like Hulu and Disney+, even though it's the same company.

These are all things that cable tv did in the past, and it's repeating. I suppose this isn't too surprising since these tend to be the same companies involved.
The main difference seems to be that you can still be selective about which service you get, instead of having to get a whole cable package just to watch one network. If history keeps repeating itself, I'm not going to be surprised if some of the streaming services decide that if they can't keep driving numbers up on their own, they'll band together and you'll functionally have a cable package again because, for example, getting Disney+ will mean you have to get Hulu, and some other assortment of seemingly unrelated services.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Right now, sure, but the problem is it is following the same pattern as cable. It went from a few services that had basically everything, to companies keeping things to themselves so you have to buy more to get access to things. The prices going up with increasing frequency. The mix of paid plus ads even though subscriptions were supposed to mean there was no need for ads. More recently, bundles of streaming services, like Hulu and Disney+, even though it's the same company.

Oh those are definitely some egregious negatives that I don’t empathize with. Especially the ads bullshit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2