• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the review for Roze episode 2...sure, we currently don't have much of a reason to care for the Sakuya/Sakura relationship as of now, but it's a start. They're still busy in the process of establishing the premise and defining where the drama is going to come from. Now that they've finished using this couple of episodes as an action-packed introduction, I hope things will slow down at least momentarily in order to let the characters breathe.

I'd expect the rest of the anime to fill in the details, sooner or later, whether it's going to happen through more interactions, more flashbacks or simply by getting to see their respective reactions to remaining apart. That way, it might mean more whenever we eventually circle back around to the two of them, presumably closer to the climax or resolution.

Come to think of it...Lelouch and Suzaku also met right at the start of Code Geass and they even pretended that Suzaku had died for a fleeting minute in episode one. Which was only sad for Lelouch, not so much for anyone in the audience at that point. We only got to really know them over the course of a season (or two). Of course, Roze of the Recapture doesn't have luxury of 25 episodes, that's going to be a complicating factor.

Having said that...I can readily agree with the review that the most interesting dynamic might well be the one between Roze and Ash, not Sakuya and Sakura, especially after the reveal at the end of the episode. It's very Code Geass-y and melodramatic in nature, yes, but also something that Lelouch himself never really tried to pull off with Suzaku (or, for that matter, Rolo). Even if it's for a good cause, that is clearly a form of manipulation without proper agreement nor legitimate consent. Usually, that tends to come with a price or at least with half a dozen unintended consequences.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Richard and I have very different taste in anime, which I have known ever since he wrote an article for Kotaku entitled "Sword Art Online Is the Smartest Anime I’ve Seen in Years."

Indeed. I wouldn't agree with him about SAO either, although I haven't read that article. He might potentially make a good case, for all I know, even if it doesn't convince me to change my mind.

Fluwm wrote:
The awkward thing here is that you apparently suffer from that common delusion of thinking that everyone with a different opinion than you on the Internet is secretly just one person, and therefore you can feel clever about pointing out contradictions in their opinions when they don't 100% align.

Now that is putting a few words in my mouth. I may have overstated the point, guilty as charged, but it's just underlining a type of argument that I've never appreciated.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote
While I think these reviews can be almost over critical at times, I believe sequel/reboots need to do more to distinguish themselves from their predecessors very early on rather than just be a reminder. Since the first three episodes were one 'movie' we probably won't see anything that really sets this apart from the originial till ep 4
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I know absolutely nothing about this sequel/spinoff/thing, but I had to drop in and say thanks for giving me a big laugh over the thumbnail choice. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:12 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Ah, the classic "we don't need no Britannain help! We're just going to do it ourselves in a suicide run and utterly fail!" So long discount Tamaki!

I have to admire Yoko having her priorities in order. Discussion over a prison break and freeing one of their leaders and she's only interested in flirting with the undressed stud right in front of her. I can see her attempting to seduce Ash and him being all awkward about it.

So the Schwarz Knights are the Britannian elite forces and Norland is probably the blonde masked guy?

It's funny how the "White Queen" isn't even white, though she's definitely got quite the eye-catching design (with big boobs and side boob to match) and a clorful personality (taking selfies in her cockpit) with piloting skills to match. We need at least one hot baddie!

Was the shot of Haruka's butt in her Knightmare totally necessary? It's Code Geass, of course it was.

I have to admire Arnold for having such a powerful defense, albeit it has nothing against Ash's burst mode and piloting skills.

Sakura was Sakuya's decoy but they were basically sisters, and Sakura is the most important thing to Sakura. She's also the only one she shows her inner crybaby towards. Though it's kind of ironic that she's doing all this for a sister while posing as the brother of someone else whom she hates.

I thought it was too soon for them to save Sakura...your princess is now in another castle.

That guard may have been Geassed, but he did his job.

I wonder if Catherine will take Arnie's death personally.

It makes sense Sakuya would be willing to reveal her identity to a family friend who has loyally served her, so he's the only one she can trust with the truth.

So...Ash was a cold-blooded assassin who possibly killed Sakuya's dad and whom she Geassed into obeying her through believing she's his little brother (who may or may not be real?) and she regularly checks to make sure the Geass is working. And her endgoal is to kill him after she saves Sakura. I foresee that ending well.

that scenario with sakuya brainwashing ash has rollo part two written all over it! will not surprised if he pulls a rollo and kills the body double in the end

though there are far too many questions than answers. specifically how did she even get geass in the first place!?

i assume this took place years after the movie! but for britania to fall this far because of this is confusing as hell considering the first ep pins the blame on lelouch for the fall of the country and not nunally!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Never paid attention but Roze might one of the first crossdressers protagonists in mecha history. I mean Turn A Gundam had Loran but it felt played for laughs while Roze does it all the time probably to hide her status and connections
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
i assume this took place years after the movie! but for britania to fall this far because of this is confusing as hell considering the first ep pins the blame on lelouch for the fall of the country and not nunally!

What the narrator actually said at the start of the first episode is that Britannia fell WITH Lelouch's death. Nunnally (and Schneizel) picked the pieces afterwards. Neo Britannia is just one faction of the old empire that refused to give up, but the narration was very clear that most of the countries born once the empire fell apart are doing fine.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Jumpjng off of this...
Hal14 wrote:
While I think these reviews can be almost over critical at times, I believe sequel/reboots need to do more to distinguish themselves from their predecessors very early on rather than just be a reminder. Since the first three episodes were one 'movie' we probably won't see anything that really sets this apart from the originial till ep 4

Yeah, I'm modestly less negative on this than Moore, and I've... at most been pretty whelmed. It's not a very exciting show, and it has already felt as if it was truncating and watering down what were the various moving parts controlled by a medley of big personalities even down to the relative randos. Arnold, really, is not terribly different IMO from any other sucky noble I might see nowadays; he's just a guy, as opposed to a sucky super-racist Code Geass guy. I don't even necessarily mind the prison break sequence taking an entire episode -- assuming this really will just be a single season show and not drop a sequel announcement by the end -- as much as I do how deeply empty and just sort of there, it was. A large setpiece, functional for serviceable fights (which I have enjoyed), but otherwise far more barren than it would let on.

It's been years since I saw the OG in full and I'm not interested in comparing to the old one overly much. Beyond thinking most takes wouldn't compare anyway and that it was such a singular piece of work, this doesn't seem interested in being nuGeass anyway; that's not even an insult as much as I think it'd be the staff setting themselves up for failure, as opposed to going at it from a different angle. With the most convenient example for me being that the not-Suzaku, if holding that comparison, is already a partner from the outset as opposed to everything going on with that deeply troubled young man. Inspired/Similar, just about ending there. Or heck, Sakuya's determination from the outset in contrast to the build-up experienced with Lelouch. (I took a very quick glance looking to see if there was an interview I might find that would prove me wrong, and I didn't see anything, though if I do see more on that front then that is that.)

I also went back and watched episode one of the original again while typing this. It's honestly impressive the dense information that's conveyed so efficiently, and how it's complemented by propulsively sharp animation that gives you just enough time to latch onto what's going on. Yet, it also moves at a snappy enough pace that "Upstart young Britannian student trounces a king in chess, also we learn incidentally that he's great at strategy games in general" to "Said kid gets roped in with the downtrodden rebellious Japanese faction," to "He then gets powers on the level of a God as he comes to term with his contempt of the world and himself for the negligent lies and self-absorbed focus on his own life, and is now seeking to bring power to his words" is all done pretty convincingly! To say nothing of his and Suzaku's origin stories, the diverging paths they took out of the same hardships, and learning how they tick with just a few scenes. And that wasn't even my favorite! What I actually liked the most was Lloyd talking circles around General Bartley and assistant Cécile while he's quick enough with the cold read to figure out what's going on, before deflecting his assessment to the latter's intuition in characteristically careless fashion as we learn pretty quickly what he's all about. Also, he's really, really cute. It's compelling stuff, and he's only one of several, several named, important, or both, characters that make up the many moving parts.

It all really proves how much and how well you can convey a tremendous amount of plot and character details from the get go. And if the OG's debut episode is a stuffed pancake with variousl flavorful fillings, this show's first was... a familiar, light breakfast waffle, I suppose? And like, I really want to like Recapture, more than I do and in general. I'm taking note of every little thing that does spark serious enthusiasm, like the pretty ruthless dynamic we know exists between Sakuya and Ash. I don't have much though, even if I'll be seeing this through to the end because, really, I do love Code Geass at the end of the day. There just is not much there to me yet, unfortunately.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2