• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WIRED: Buffalo Mass Shooting Victims' Families Sue 4chan, Good Smile Company, Others

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:04 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
This may be more of a "messaging" lawsuit than one with a hope of winning. But a message that exposes the role of the 4chan/EncyclopediaDramatica anime/gamer/incel "Troll Nation" in creating or propagating many of the most toxic and hateful political trends and ideologies of the last 7-10 years is a message worth getting out there.

This really should have been the end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned. Of course they can't win, it's about sending a message.

Anyone saying they're trying to make a quick buck off their murdered loved ones should probably think about why such a truly sickening thought crept into your brain and then out your fingertips. You might be part of the problem.
Rob49152

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:02 am Reply with quote
I noticed Fox News not listed and they are without a doubt the biggest spreaders of "great replacement theory".
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
This may be more of a "messaging" lawsuit than one with a hope of winning. But a message that exposes the role of the 4chan/EncyclopediaDramatica anime/gamer/incel "Troll Nation" in creating or propagating many of the most toxic and hateful political trends and ideologies of the last 7-10 years is a message worth getting out there.

Personally, I disagree. There should be no messaging. Responsibility is, and should always be, personal. Not of some site/discord/twitter/whatever. We're not talking about defamation here.

Did someone really think that if 4chan didn't exist this "political trend" wouldn't have appeared elsewhere?
I know I'm in the minority, but I still believe silencing would be much worse.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:43 am Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
Also, anime news?

I mean GSC is part of the lawsuit thus making it news. Whether you like it or not 4chan is also in the anime sphere as GSC has a stake in it as the article said, and has been apart of anime culture since it's founding.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:12 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
This really should have been the end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned. Of course they can't win, it's about sending a message.

Anyone saying they're trying to make a quick buck off their murdered loved ones should probably think about why such a truly sickening thought crept into your brain and then out your fingertips. You might be part of the problem.

Exactly. Some of these terminally online weebs can just be absolutely pathetic and insufferable. The subject doesn't exist in a vacuum.

This rise of alt-right extremists that are carrying out these mass shootings, so many of them have an online footprint that traces back to these internet cesspools that allow a platform to the worst kinds of people, political beliefs, and ideologies.

It's not some smoothbrain take like, "oh this is exactly like blaming media for tragedies." It just goes to show how ignorant and uneducated they are on sociopolitical topics.

Going to bat for places like 4Chan for this is such a terrible look. It's very valid to confront and question this reality of easily accessible public forums essentially hosting online Nazi house parties for people who are literally going out and committing domestic terrorist attacks all while standing idly by. Due to at best, sheer incompetence, and at worst utter apathy for what is festering in the places they are in charge of.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
-Mass shootings are massive news stories

Correction: Only a handful of mass shootings are massive news stories. Most of them never get more than a local article in the news. Look at a list of all the mass shootings in America in 2023 so far and tell me how many you've heard of. Probably only a handful. Media sensationalism clouds the actual numbers and whips people up into illogical frenzies. If someone thinks social media censorship is going to curb mass shootings when those shootings make up 1% of actual mass shootings that happens then they're not very well researched or knowledgeable on the issue. But it doesn't stop politicians and the media from distorting the facts and using it to their advantage by preying on uninformed individuals.

Obviously there's people who hate big tech and want to stifle them and take them down regardless if they have a proper or good reason to do so and will always support and cheer for this kind of thing, but luckily they're not the ones calling the shots here. Afterall, censorship is never a good thing. People always advocate for more censorship without the thought it'll ever effect them. But we've seen it backfire many times before. Just stop and think about who's going to be the one that gets to label what kind of content is considered hateful or extreme. Remember when YouTube restricted and demonetized a bunch of historical focused and LGBT focused channels because they were considered extremist content? Unfortunately, people are often shortsighted and too emotionally charged to make rational decisions and tend to go against their own self interest all the time. But luckily this is a frivolous lawsuit and will be thrown out so it's not an actual threat to anyone.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
Few things (BTW upstate NYer so this is [expletive] personal)
1. This wasn't any mass shooting 10 people died
2. Yes this was explicitly racist he even spared a white guy. He drove 4 hours to Buffalo from Binghamton NY and then chose a time when the only people shopping were the elderly.
3. He did fall through the alt right pipeline fast. Seriously guy curiously went on during the pandemic to look at the gun forum and then found out about GRT.
4. Yes they named other social media but let's not pretend 4Chan is somehow merely as bad as reddit. No moderation Pol literally started Kekistan even the lgbt sub is racist.
5, Quick buck really this was a hate crime that shook Buffalo.
6. BTW remember how 8chan was used to plan an terror attack, or how someone used Tumblr to recruit ISIS members? The former the US government should have shut down way before if nothing else for CP hosting.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:25 am Reply with quote
@ CrimeVsCrime

Imagine thinking you're taking some stance in defending everyone's freedom of expression by arguing that literal Nazis and white supremacists should also be allowed their platform. ffs

You have no idea what you're talking about. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences, and no one in their right mind is going to argue for protections for alt-righters and their hate speech. As I explained in another post, it's an issue worth highlighting when these sites are essentially hosting these Nazi domestic terrorist house parties and doing basically nothing about it.

You really are just so out of touch. Especially when you just completely ignore all context when it comes to other events you tossed in here.

When that shooting happened with a trans person, the result was crappy Republicans doing what they always do, creating baseless narratives to attack trans people, and once again pivot to something else so they do nothing about the gun problem. They wanted to turn it into a trans issue, but it wasn't that. It was a gun issue.

Which is what Republicans prefer to do. Protect the wrong people, and hurt others because they want to avoid real issues and reality. There's more nuance here and it's ridiculously dumb to make an argument about "circling the wagons" when you also wanna pretend that the wagons filled with Nazis are with everyone else and worth protecting.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:52 am Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom of consequences, and no one in their right mind is going to argue for protections for alt-righters and their hate speech. As I explained in another post, it's an issue worth highlighting when these sites are essentially hosting these Nazi domestic terrorist house parties and doing basically nothing about it.

I don't even live in the US but I do remember when the ACLU defended the right for the KKK to manifest, and for good reason. I guess people forgot why they did it.

The rationale is the same. The previous poster was a bit extreme for my tastes, but it's true that "sending a message" is a can of worms you'd better not open.
Bad ideas are fought with open discussion. And also, as I said, responsibility will always be personal. Going for the sites (and even Good Smile Company) is just looking for a scapegoat, IMO.
juaifan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Some of you all need to reevaluate your priorities and that defending Good Smile and 4chan in this thread isn't a good look for you.

I assure you it's a much worse look to be an advocate for censorship.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Some of you all need to reevaluate your priorities and that defending Good Smile

Since Anime News Network has worked advertising deals with Good Smile Company before, what are your thoughts towards it, I wonder? Should GSC be scrubbed from this website if they were indeed partly responsible for the murder of these innocent lives?
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
This was a broad suit yes but let's be real 4chan enabled this. Also to above poster no the issue was GSC owned a stake in 4chan.

I mean to be fair it was indirect direct enabling would be 8chan
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
Why would you sue the parents of the guy? They didn't do anything.

Grisly_Bear wrote:
I think the best goal this could aim for is forcing social media companies to change their algorithms to not promote hateful content

But who gets to define "hateful content"? We live in a time where liking a universally and globally popular anime like Rising of the Shield Hero is enough to get you called an incel. It seems like a dangerous thought to entertain a scenario that anyone can take down anything they think might "lead people down the extremist pipeline" when that's such a vague and sensationalist term. If people think liking the wrong anime turns you into an incel then we're kinda screwed. We already have to deal with localization companies censoring and changing things in American releases for "cultural sensibilities". No need to add even more layers here.

I'm remembering the time Digimon called out cancel culture and political correctness and a fansub group literally called it "far right politics and conspiracy theories" and people tried to label Konaka as alt-right. Or the time shows like Attack on Titan, Gundam, Kyoukai Senki, and Ranking of Kings were called fascist or right-wing propaganda. It doesn't even have to be an intelligent critique. Kotaku tried to insist Super Smash Bros Brawl was ableist and hateful because they misheard "retort it" as "retarded". There's way too many bad faith people/idiots out there that would abuse this. Trying to police "hateful content" is a bad idea. Especially when anime routinely gets attacked and lumped in under that umbrella already by xenophobes and other people. All it could take is someone posting a clip of Tomino at a Gundam stage play throwing up a one armed salute and yelling Sieg Zeon and a news outlet running with it to get Gundam condemned. Or Sailor Moon getting throttled on Reddit and Twitter because people accuse it of bring a groomer series because of Mamoru and Usagi's relationship.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I certainly wouldn't go that far. A lawsuit is warranted, but it's pretty common in situations like this for parties to sue basically everyone that might be related just to see what sticks, who's willing to pay out of court to avoid a legal battle and who's willing to fight to get the suit dropped along with those who actually do deserve to be sued.

Emerje

What they are doing is wrong. They intend to make everyone else's life hell, because their children were killed by a evil person. But that is what we do in American, sue everyone. Still it doesn't make it right.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
Should also sue U.S. Government on constitutional grounds. 1st and 2nd Amendments did not exist, there would be zero guns; and zero access opinions, theories, thoughts that other people have that could influence him. Maybe a few more amendments too could be axed to prevent this like 10th amendment. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Also maybe video game train him and tv desensitizes, ban media outright. Let's live under rocks and ban otaku like 2008 Akiba again. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4