• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Veteran Voice Actor Mamoru Miyano Talks About the Struggles He Faces Finding Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
Give Miyano some credit for being a little reflective on his career given he's being active in voice acting for 20 years. We were born the same year and it makes sense that just because he's had some notable roles in the past doesn't mean he will automatically be a shoe-in for newer series (there are many younger voice actors who're hungry to get their breakthrough role and will accept less whilst doing it). At least in Miyano's case he seems to get voiceover roles for Western animated films which you would think pay well given they often receive nationwide releases in Japan. He's also got a singing career which will help to an extent.

You might not be the first choice for newer roles but you still have a supportive fanbase Miyano. Keep doing what you can for as long as you're able. When you can't anymore think about starting your own agency like Kenichi Suzumura, Daisuke Namikawa or Tetsuya Kakihara have (no doubt its due to having more control, getting paid better rather than an agency salary and being able to manage new talent in your own way).
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:59 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
I rarely hear Miyano Mamoru, Tomokazu Sugita and Ono Daisuke anymore. I constantly hear Takehito Koyasu and Kamiya Hiroshi though.

I do hear Koyasu all the time, and Kamiya happens to be in a lot of shows I watch but there was a time I only hear him in sequels and was beginning to miss his voice. I agree though that Miyano is great at "crazy" type roles, and now that you mention it, he does tend to sound the same for all his "prince" characters.

For me, Miyano belongs to the category of seiyuu with "unique voices" (which also includes Koyasu, Kamiya as well Akira Ishida, and recently Saori Hayami). It's nearly impossible to not recognize them even for someone like me who is not that great at picking sounds apart. I've always thought their unique voice to be a double-edged sword. While it makes them stand out, they also tend to appear to have a "narrow" range because you just know who they are instantly, and sometimes I hear the seiyuu instead of the character (IMO Koyasu and Kamiya tend to have great performances though that sometimes I need a double take before I figure out it's them)
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:09 pm Reply with quote
At the beginning, middle, and end of the day, nothing is guaranteed (unless its a role a staff member or mangaka has you in mind for) for many reasons. You just have to keep working hard and staying ready for each opportunity.

Quote:
Miyano got his breakout role at the age of 19 in the anime Wolf's Rain.

Miyano got his breakout role as Riku in Kingdom Hearts, which led to that. Kingdom Hearts was the 4th best selling game in Japan and 1 of 4 games that sold 1 million in Japan in 2002. Only got outsold by Onimusha 2 by less than 1,000 copies, which released in the 1st week of March while KH released at the end of March. KH1 sold an additional 200k copies in 2003 while Onimusha 2 sold another 1,000 so in the end it was the 3rd best selling game from that year.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
I love Miyano and many of the Seiyuu that became big from his generation but I just can’t get into new Seiyuu these days.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Anime mostly features younger characters (especially in leading roles) and the old iconic voice actors aren't getting any younger, so they need to find younger-sounding ones.

Besides, you can't just gatekeep voice acting for the old farts. I'd be sick of hearing Miyano or anyone else if they were in every single anime series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:00 am Reply with quote
There are other jobs too like video games and dubbing Hollywood shows that pay more
kucinglaper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There are other jobs too like video games and dubbing Hollywood shows that pay more

Miyano does those too, the competition is still pretty harsh over there too.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to find out what kind of debate there will be here the day companies and localizers start using AI for dubs; (Vice) Confused
‘Disrespectful to the Craft:’ Actors Say They’re Being Asked to Sign Away Their Voice to AI
Well, it certainly would take away diversity issues, sure, but...
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Miyano appears again in Kyokou Suiri this season, but his role is considerably smaller than before. Mostly he ends up in a debriefing session with Kotako after she's resolved some mysterious problem.

He did sing my favorite ED for 2020, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6BXm1vRkAM. Too bad this season's entries don't come close.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2