• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Konami's Former Fox Engine Lead Architect Joins Bandai Namco

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! also has massive potential as a freemium game. The physical card game is already pay-to-win, like all TCGs.

I don't think you can call physical card games pay-to-win considering the market. What makes people call digital card games like Hearthstone pay-to-win is the fact Blizzard completely monopolizes the community. There's no trading or player market in Heathstone, so if you want a specific card you have to buy hundreds of packs hoping you get it or buy packs until you get enough cards to "sell" for dust so you can buy it. As opposed to a player-driven economy where you can just trade cards or pay cash for singles relatively easily and cheaply.

Though honestly, so long as they keep making Tag Force and other YGO games, I see no reason to play a F2P game if you want to play YGO digitally. And in Tag Force's case, since they don't release those in America anymore and you have to download the game and use an English translation patch, it's essentially free already. Perhaps the reason they stopped releasing the games in America is for their new free-to-play app to cash in on that market.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
A free to play Yu-Gi-Oh smartphone game was just announced this week.

In that case, color me not surprised at all.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Konami suffered two big booms, and now it is hated as EA and Sega of all the people.

Welcome to your new home man!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2