• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: As CW's Vortexx Block Disappears, So Does Saturday Morning Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
InuYashaCrusade wrote:
Veniamin wrote:
Look how far behind they are in XY.

You may wanna do some simple research before lying, dude. We are only 8 episodes behind the Japanese airing of Pokemon XY right now. Proof: Serebii, go check it out.

How many other series can you say are that close to their Japanese airing? Besides Space Dandy, good luck.

I'm talking about schedule, not episodes. It's natural that episodes are behind because of dubbing/etc.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
There are so many places you can point fingers on this that it's fairly pointless. I feel grateful and fortunate that I got to grow up in the days of Fox Kids, One Saturday Morning, and Kids WB; three Saturday morning blocks that followed me for nearly my entire childhood. Not every show on the blocks were winners, but it's a little saddening that most kids now will not know the simple joy of waking up at 5 AM, waiting for the test pattern to go away and for the glorious electronic shower of ink and paint to wash over the living room while we cram as much sugary cereal into our stomachs while allowing our minds to be corrupted with the desires to buy Skip-Its, Barbies, and Hot Wheels.

Yes, you can say that the kids cable networks stand in the same position nowadays, but not entirely. What made it special was that you didn't need to have cable to enjoy it and most importantly, it was something you had to wait for, to anticipate, to savor. Yes, there might be an hour of cartoons or so on when you got home from school, but Saturday morning was 5-6 hours of straight cartoons, every week like clockwork. It was amazing, and now it may never be again.

R.I.P. Saturday morning cartoons. You may be gone, but you will not be forgotten.

Oh man, I was a Kids WB girl & a g4techtv girl too. Of course those were the days when saturday mornings were worth getting up... Now I don`t even turn on the tv except on Saturday nights because of toonami.

In my opinion as well, just general cartoons have been watered down because of violence or some other bullcrap. I remember the animainacs, pinky & the brain, The Batman, Batman: TAS, Batman beyond, Freakazoid!, Histeria!, mucha lucha, The new batman/superman adventures, ozzy & drix, static shock, superman: TAS, The Slyvester & Tweety mysteries, teen titans, tiny toon adventures (used to have its game too.) waynehead, whats new scooby doo?, xiaolin showdown, the zeta project, KND, PPG, & Samurai Jack, The all new scooby & scrappy show, captain planet (ew..), scooby doo & scrappy doo, jackie-chan adventures, pokemon, yugioh, CCS, DBZ, Megaman, Sailor Moon, x-men: evolution.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
This makes me sad.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
"entertaining programs ... healthy cooking and living to fashion"

wait what? Where's the celebrity news and gossip?!?!?!

*btw: barf!
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Oh man, I was a Kids WB girl & a g4techtv girl too. Of course those were the days when saturday mornings were worth getting up... Now I don`t even turn on the tv except on Saturday nights because of toonami.

In my opinion as well, just general cartoons have been watered down because of violence or some other bullcrap. I remember the animainacs, pinky & the brain, The Batman, Batman: TAS, Batman beyond, Freakazoid!, Histeria!, mucha lucha, The new batman/superman adventures, ozzy & drix, static shock, superman: TAS, The Slyvester & Tweety mysteries, teen titans, tiny toon adventures (used to have its game too.) waynehead, whats new scooby doo?, xiaolin showdown, the zeta project, KND, PPG, & Samurai Jack, The all new scooby & scrappy show, captain planet (ew..), scooby doo & scrappy doo, jackie-chan adventures, pokemon, yugioh, CCS, DBZ, Megaman, Sailor Moon, x-men: evolution.
Aren't those nostalgia goggles great, makes ALL old cartoons awesome: Gilligan's Planet, New Kids on the Block, Saturday Supercade, Captain N: The Game Master, Turbo Teen, Pole Position, The Power Team, Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars...etc.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
For those of us old enough to remember and grew up with them. It is a sad day, kinda like losing an old trusted friend. I'll admit I'm well past the point of still getting up early for them. Though honestly it was more because of a decline in quality and an ever-shrinking amount of choices as far as watching anything that didn't require you to have cable, satellite TV, or a really good wi-fi connection.

Don't get me wrong, I like things like they are now and can't say that I'd really wanna go back. Its just a nostalgia thing plain and simple. I'll miss it because it was a big part of my childhood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Today was the first day in nearly 16 years that I didn't wake up Saturday morning and watch cartoons (yes, even as a college student I still watch(ed) em). Aside from a brief period in 2011 I never had cable, so KidsWB, Foxbox, and CW were my go to places to enjoy the wonders of animation. I know streaming is commonplace and what I usually use, but there's something special about waking up in the morning , sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal and enjoying stuff like Batman, Yugioh, Pokemon, Static Shock, Shaman King, Jackie Chan Adventures, MegaMan NT Warrior and my personal favorites Xiaolin Showdown and CCS, despite its dub. (Oh, and also Spider Riders. Obscure, but an interesting kid friendly Bee Train work with their style in full effect). Tis a really sad day indeed. I guess this is a sign that I should check out some of the primetime Fox and CW series again. I need something to watch on TV again.

Felicity dash wrote:

I remember the animainacs, pinky & the brain, The Batman, Batman: TAS, Batman beyond, Freakazoid!, Histeria!, mucha lucha, The new batman/superman adventures, ozzy & drix, static shock, superman: TAS, The Slyvester & Tweety mysteries, teen titans, tiny toon adventures (used to have its game too.) waynehead, whats new scooby doo?, xiaolin showdown, the zeta project, KND, PPG, & Samurai Jack, The all new scooby & scrappy show, captain planet (ew..), scooby doo & scrappy doo, jackie-chan adventures, pokemon, yugioh, CCS, DBZ, Megaman, Sailor Moon, x-men: evolution.
. You just listed my exact childhood there, although I'd also add Dinosaur King to that list. And I didn't think people remembered Histeria and Ozzy and Drix. Cool.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The reality is Saturday morning cartoons are obsolete. They thrived in the 80s and before because they were the primary source of animation, or shows in general, for younger viewers. Ever since the 90s where you saw the rise of children's channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel, Saturday morning blocks have fallen out of purpose. There's no logical reason why Saturday morning is more valuable to watch shows than 24/7 on networks aimed exclusively for kids. Outside of tradition, there was little reason to keep them around for as much as they did since you could turn to Nickelodeon or CN and watch cartoons whenever you felt like it. Once streaming became popular, it made them even more obsolete.

Hoppy800 wrote:
The regulations are terrible, really a mandate for educational programming on Saturdays, Why? What's the point now since 24 hr educational channels exist these days?

I suspect it's a movement done out of guilt that parents often use the television as a means to raise or babysit their child. If they're going to neglect their child, at least it could try to teach them good values in the process so they feel like less a tool.

The problem with letting TV raise your kid was no more apparent than the 80s. One of the big trends back then was to promote conformity. A lot of cartoons usually had that one kid who would always go against the group and was often times proven wrong and made a fool for doing so. This would later backfire on them when drugs became a problem in the following years, and they subsequently had to backpedal over every moral they taught by now telling kids to not go along with the group and don't do things just because your peers were doing it.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, with the Saturday morning animation block getting smaller and smaller, it's only a matter of time before Saturday morning TV becomes gray, dull, and boring. My sibling and I had it great watching some awesome anime and cartoons way back in those earlier years...
Well, it seems that the Internet is now my only source left for finding animated shows that'll spring me to action up for the mornings.
Oh, well, it was fun while they lasted...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Having watched some of the various shows people listed, I am showing my age (I turned 28 on Sept. 4). It is nice when you can re-watch shows you grew up with (be it legal or illegal means, but that's another topic).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait there was still saturday morning cartoons on so now there wont be I tought it died years ago
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember growing up watching Saturday morning cartoons on broadcast television during the 1980s. It was about getting up as early as you could, getting some cereal to eat, and plopping yourself down in front of the tube, and switching between the three big networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) to whichever one was showing the cartoon you wanted to watch during each timeslot.

At one point, Saturday morning cartoons were such a major part of the schedule that one of the networks (I want to say it was NBC) would host a primetime special the night before the new Saturday morning season launched to announce both the new and returning shows. Even though those primetime preview specials were cheesy as hell, I remember I looked forward to them every year.

Thinking back, my Saturday mornings during my childhood included: Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Muppet Babies, Snorks, Pac-Man, Shirt Tales, Richie Rich, Monchichis, The Littles, Dragon's Lair, the various Scooby-Doo series, the various Flintstones series, Looney Tunes, Ewoks, and Droids: The Adventures of R2D2 and C3PO.

I almost forgot about Schoolhouse Rock! How could I have almost forgotten that? It was a classic!

Ahhh... the nostalgia...

My own kids haven't had a lot of experience with the traditional Saturday morning cartoon blocks on broadcast. My two older kids (almost 14 and 17) have some memory of watching Kids' WB!, but in more recent years, they've been relying on cable networks (Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney Channel) and on Comcast's "on demand" programming. I don't think my youngest (who's 9) has any memory of network Saturday morning blocks.

Last edited by ljaesch on Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I get that the old ways are outdated since streaming service makes things easier to just watch On Demand, but still...there was always a certain charm to knowing when cartoons would be on. Saturdays spent watching X-Men, knowing the lineup was over when Soul Train came on, and now that's all gone. These days I usually watch a Hulu feed of Smackdown for a bit before going to the gym.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah I remember waking up early when I was a really young kid to watch Sonic the Hedgehog, collectively known as Sonic SatAM it was my favorite show then somehow I just forgot about it or something and it was long gone by the time I remember it. In a round about way it's how I ended up discovering Pokemon on TV because I remember waking up early suddenly wondering if Sonic SatAM was still on.

Then that evolved to Pokemon when it was burning the charts and you had back to back episodes on Kids WB and Fox Kids when Digimon did the same. As well as wanting to watch Power Rangers and a few other American cartoons I remember fondly.

Even as a teenager when I grew more and more into anime I woke up early to watch Tokyo Mew Mew or I guess Mew Mew Power - yeah 4Kids it may be but hey it was anime, I didn't care. Yu-Gi-Oh was among the mix too.

These days I mostly sleep in but hey if I woke up early enough I'd watch an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon for old time sake.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
My best memories of Saturday mornings date far back, to when stuff like Voltron and the Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon were aired early in the morning. Ah yes, as well as Denver the Last Dinosaur and Dinosaucers from the USA Channel's Dino Power Hour. God, that hit me right in the nostalgia. I loved those times and I sure do miss them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5