• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Anime Babes' Burlesque Show Staged in Los Angeles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
3rdHalf wrote:
Cosplay is all about young, playful and a bit crazy, or shy otaku girls. Who just trying to get some fun out of it.

Uhh... There are so many things wrong in that sentence, I lost count.
1st. Not all otaku girls are young, playful, a bit crazy, or shy. Some of us are flat out insane, old, or outspoken. (I am 2 out of those 3.)
That's not what cosplay is even about. It's not about "young, playful, and a bit crazy, or shy otaku girls."
Last I checked, cosplay doesn't have an age limit. And also, guys cosplay too.
So no, it's not just about girls in scantily clad costumes (and in male clothing if they're crossplaying).
It's about people who like something enough to buy/make a costume and wear it for fun.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
Sheesh. I think the costumes aren't the best and need a lot of work (particularly Sailor Moon), but honestly I think the comments here offend me more than the show does.

I mean, I'd rather have a cute maid (or butler...especially butler) cafe in the US than an anime-themed burlesque show, but come on. A lot of the comments here just offend me as a woman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
If you can't be civil I'm locking this thread and happily banning anyone who thinks this is the place where they can vomit their hate toward anyone.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Fory-san wrote:
As someone who knows one of the girls involved I just shake my head at all the possible fat asses making comments here tonight. I'd like to see some of you people drag your sad otaku carcasses up on the stages. Confused

I'm sorta thinking that too. These people are being pretty harsh.

Well what do you expect from a buncha of anti-social jerks like us? Of course we're gonna go all neckbeard on these crumpets!!

Look, we're offering our own opinions, and frankly speaking, its abit.....weird. We're going in expecting one thing, and what we're seeing is something completely different from the expecations.

It's like the time I went to an Erotic Poetry Slam; Most (if not all) of the guy poets were pretty much musing pickup lines about getting into a girls panties, and one female poet completely ignored the theme of the slam and rambled about something completely different. If I was gonna see such banter, i'd park myself at some bar dive and just people watch.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
The sad part is these are the probably the only girls worth dating left in L.A. Laughing
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
"Pokémon - Pikachu"

What the hell people... what the hell?
ac195

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote
"Babes"...?

Which street corner did they pick up those "babes" from...?
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
Taking this from a girl's perspective, as much as they we're trying to make anime appear for adult audiences, this to me is just sickening.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Well I thought most of them were good. As an adult performance I can't say they looked disappointing in those pictures. However a huge Lol at the Pikachu, though. Even if it was anime themed, I'd say that's still pretty weird as a costume choice for this sorta thing.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
I think Lust works pretty well here because her image is supposed to be 'sexy adult woman', and Rei is pretty heavily sexualised already, but a lot of the characters they chose are quite young and aimed at a young audience, so their signature outfits are bright and childish. Which is kind of awkward to see adapted for this sort of adult performance.

The negative comments here about the women's looks are depressingly predictable. I'm pretty sure performing well in a burlesque show takes more than a good rating on the 'hotness scale' (which is a silly concept to me anyway).
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"Pokémon - Pikachu"

What the hell people... what the hell?

Haven't seen many cosplay gijinkas, have you? Very Happy

Can't say I'm as impressed as when I saw the pictures from their videogame and Star Wars-themed performances, but I give them props for trying it out (especially the Rei for having an outfit based off one of the figurines). And people, there's burlesque performances at conventions too, and compared to these actual performers I don't think you'd want to see them. Wink
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
I know it's Burlesque but those costumes were kinda lame, but the bigger problem in my opinions is the selection of anime characters they chose to cosplay as.

It'd have made more sense to use anime characters that already have a heavy exhibitionism streak like Revy and Eda from Black Lagoon, or maybe a Faye Valentine thing would be a better choice. Pikachu is by far the worst choice for a burlesque costume.

Zac wrote:
If you can't be civil I'm locking this thread and happily banning anyone who thinks this is the place where they can vomit their hate toward anyone.

(At the risk of getting banned)

-.-'

This coming from Mr. [I'm DISGUSTED at otaku of the (Dragonball) franchise who decried the film (Evolution) before its release]

Last edited by TopGunman on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
Fory-san wrote:
As someone who knows one of the girls involved I just shake my head at all the possible fat asses making comments here tonight. I'd like to see some of you people drag your sad otaku carcasses up on the stages. Confused

Anime fans on the internet always make digs at bad cosplay. The fact that these women are removing said cosplay onstage makes no difference.

And like it or not, this is bad cosplay- either the costumes choices are odd, or the person(s) in them don't seem to fit the character. I agree with the sentiments on character choices as well... there's certainly more adult, sexy female anime characters out there that would both be more suited to the subject matter and suitable to the women involved (Revy from Black Lagoon comes to mind first, although she'd kill you before dancing any day of the week.) I don't think having a bunch of adult women dress up as cartoon middle schoolers and strip is doing us any favors.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
I wasn't aware that the anime fanbase has a sense of entitlement to what should and should not be shown at an adult burlesque show.

Like it or not, our opinions are irrelevant when it comes to stuff like this. It's staged fetishism! The tastefulness involved will only matter to the perverts who attend.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a really cool idea. Who cares how "old" they are? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, people. Plus they were just having fun. Let. it. be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5