• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Japan Ends Sales of PlayStation 2 Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I lucked out and found a PlayStation 2 console with two broken controllers at a thrift store a few months ago for like $25, and I had a coupon for 20% off, so it wasn't that bad of a deal. The system works perfectly fine, and I've been able to get one replacement controller so far. Before finding the system, I found a copy of Kingdom Hearts for $4.99, also at a thrift store. That copy of Kingdom Hearts is what led me to pick up that console. It overall is a pretty neat system.
Still though, as sad as it is, all good things must come to an end.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
On the other hand, they should make ps3 backwards compatible.

When originally released, the PS3 was backward compatible, but it didn't work out. The emulator was not friendly to the design of the PS3, and it forced Sony to cut the emulator from the next model, which was released in the same year (when the larger HDD model was introduced). The 20GB and 60GB were very quickly "retired".

More bad news: the PS4 will not be backward compatible with the PS3, either.

The system design was too unique, which is why Sony is going back to "basics" with the PS4.

Smart move, although it was very stupid to change it to begin with. My opinion, of course, but they were truly kidding themselves if they thought developers were going to change for the PS3's designs.

All Sony had to do was beef up the PS2 with more memory, their bluray tech, and support HD, and they could have kept their dominance.

Though, I can't fault them for trying something new. The architecture is still rather awesome. Just not for gaming.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I still have my PS2 Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
The system design was too unique, which is why Sony is going back to "basics" with the PS4.

Smart move, although it was very stupid to change it to begin with. My opinion, of course, but they were truly kidding themselves if they thought developers were going to change for the PS3's designs.

All Sony had to do was beef up the PS2 with more memory, their bluray tech, and support HD, and they could have kept their dominance.

Though, I can't fault them for trying something new. The architecture is still rather awesome. Just not for gaming.

I'm not so sure they'd still out-do the Wii's sales even if they kept it the same. The Wii just steamrolled everyone. Though I'm not sure why we're writing Sony off as failed though. The PSP did great (Almost 80 million) and the PS3 did good as well; it's pretty much tied with the 360 at this point (70 million). It's hardly like they failed this generation.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

I'm not so sure they'd still out-do the Wii's sales even if they kept it the same. The Wii just steamrolled everyone. Though I'm not sure why we're writing Sony off as failed though. The PSP did great (Almost 80 million) and the PS3 did good as well; it's pretty much tied with the 360 at this point (70 million). It's hardly like they failed this generation.

It failed. It being compared directly with its predecessor.

Not many are directly comparing it to the 360, not specifically sales wise, it just FAILED, it was a huge downgrade and most are disappointed with the successor of the PS3, plus just see the kind of games we have, even games failed to live up to the expectation that the PS2 left us with, the jrpg production was particularly horrendous.

Not mentioning Sony reputation went downhill this generation for numerous things that most probbaly know, at the command of Kaz Hirai.

No, Sony was the BIG LOSER after being the King of Kings with the ps2, the high reputation and tremendous success Ken Kutaragi left everyone with went down the drain.

You can argue that Nintendo were the big winners but you have to take a look at numerous things, not just sales, its not that easy, many things have to be taken into account, that said one can argue MS and xbox were the big winners after the sorry mediocre entrance they had with the xbox and its current status.

You probbaly have realized not many share your perspective and most of gamers will easily tell you PS3 was the big loser, it was dethroned HARD, failed big time and shot themselves in the foot several times, failing even harder.

If not for Sony's domestic market, loyal Japanese consumer and their huge dislike for the xbox this generation would have been so disastrous for Sony that who knows if instead of the PS4 they would announce they would follow the same route Sega took years ago.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

They tried. It's actually surprisingly difficult--their solution with the first batch of PS3's was to literally just have all the components of the PS2 in them, which partially accounted for why the thing was so ridiculously expensive.

ALso, emulating is REALLY difficult. Even top-of-the-line gaming PCs have trouble emulating the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox as of now.

The PS2 Classics titles you can download off the PSN are running on a PS2 emulator. Technically, SONY has a working software PS2 emulator in that case.

Speaking about emulation, here is an interesting story: Both the original Devil Summoner and Princess Crown on the PSP were running on top of a custom Saturn emulator Atlus put together since the original source code was long lost. One reason why neither title would never reach US shores (shame for Princess Crown).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
You probbaly have realized not many share your perspective and most of gamers will easily tell you PS3 was the big loser, it was dethroned HARD, failed big time and shot themselves in the foot several times, failing even harder.

Speak for yourself man. There is absolutely not some kind of consensus or agreement among most gamers that the PS3 "failed big time". (Hell, the idea that there is consensus about anything among gamers is laughable). You're just making a false appeal to consensus in order to pass off your own personal opinion as fact.

Anyway, it is certainly true that the PS3 got off to a very slow start due to the excessive price, the absence of notable exclusive content, and the 360's major first mover advantage. In fact, for the first year or two of the PS3's life, it probably would be fair to call it a disaster. That said, in more recent years Sony has basically resolved all these problems. They've gotten a bunch of their own hugely popular exclusive content, plus most of Microsoft's formerly exclusive stuff and they've massively reduced their price to be competitive. The increased value of the built in BD player as a result of BD's growing success has also helped a lot. As a result of all this, Sony has surged back into the market and at this point has basically caught up to 360. (Which, when you consider the hole they were in, really speaks to their success).

So while Sony is far from the massively dominant force that they were in the PS2 era, they can hardly be singled out as the losers more than any other company. In fact, they're very much trending upward.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

The PS2 Classics titles you can download off the PSN are running on a PS2 emulator. Technically, SONY has a working software PS2 emulator in that case.

The 'Classics' titles are PS1 games NOT PS2. The PS3 will play PS1 games fine.

Personally I think it would be a huge mistake if the PS4 was not backward compatible with at least the PS3 and I'd be surprised if Sony did that. After all they made the PS Vita compatible with the PSP.
flawed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
PS2 was only king because let's face it, GCN was lackluster and XBOX was a late infant. This time around the 360 had a competitive headstart and the Wii was an unstoppable force. PS3 may have been "dethroned" but it's not because the console was less but that the other consoles were better.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
It failed. It being compared directly with its predecessor.

Not many are directly comparing it to the 360, not specifically sales wise, it just FAILED, it was a huge downgrade and most are disappointed with the successor of the PS3, plus just see the kind of games we have, even games failed to live up to the expectation that the PS2 left us with, the jrpg production was particularly horrendous.

Not mentioning Sony reputation went downhill this generation for numerous things that most probbaly know, at the command of Kaz Hirai.

No, Sony was the BIG LOSER after being the King of Kings with the ps2, the high reputation and tremendous success Ken Kutaragi left everyone with went down the drain.

That's a disheartening view point to have. It didn't do as well as X so it failed? That kind of attitude is why almost every western MMO since WoW has either shut down or gone free to play. If it's not WoW successful, it's a failure and must be put down. Let's ignore the fact MMOs peaked at only 500,000ish subscribers pre-WoW and did just fine. You're essentially saying the Super Nintendo sucked because it wasn't as successful as the original NES. Can't say I agree with those kinds of statements. Saying something failed because it didn't live up to an outlier's success just seems like poor decision making.

Quote:
You can argue that Nintendo were the big winners but you have to take a look at numerous things, not just sales, its not that easy, many things have to be taken into account, that said one can argue MS and xbox were the big winners after the sorry mediocre entrance they had with the xbox and its current status.

So because the original Xbox was bad it makes the 360 the best by default for being a bigger improvement? Can't say I agree with that logic.

Quote:

Ignoring the fact you're being so bold as to claim that you're an authority to any kind of majority , by "most gamers" I assume you mean "modern American gamers". Knowing how the average 'gamer' thinks this generation, I'll take that as a compliment. People can say whatever they want, but it won't change the facts. I bet most modern of your "gamers" would say the PSP is a failure and sucked. Meanwhile, it did incredible in Japan and is still going strong and doing just fine with a huge and numerous library of games still coming out. Yet you'd think it was the Virtual Boy only good for emulation given some of the acidic complaints you could find on American forums.

Quote:
If not for Sony's domestic market, loyal Japanese consumer and their huge dislike for the xbox this generation would have been so disastrous for Sony that who knows if instead of the PS4 they would announce they would follow the same route Sega took years ago.

So the only reason Sony did well was because the people who like them liked them? Well, I can't argue against that logic I suppose.

All this talk just reminds me why I don't go to video game forums anymore. It's such a hostile, hot-button issue. Only in a video game discussion could two things sell the exact same amount of units but one is 'a colossal failure' while the other is a 'big winner'.

If you like American games, buy a 360 (I used to say PC but developers seem to have all but abandoned that platform and treat it as a secondary market, despite being superior in every way to the 360) , if you like Japanese games, get a PS3, Wii, DS, and PSP. This generation is pretty clear cut on who they're all aiming for with everything. To label something a failure because it doesn't appeal to you just seems silly.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
The 'Classics' titles are PS1 games NOT PS2. The PS3 will play PS1 games fine.

No, they have a few PS2 titles.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is sad. I still love my PS2 to death though! Long live the PS2!
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I'm not so sure they'd still out-do the Wii's sales even if they kept it the same. The Wii just steamrolled everyone.

The only winner with the Wii was Nintendo. The topmost selling games were developed by Nintendo, which is not good for developers. Very few non-Nintendo games broke 1 million sales, and that's a big problem for developers when Nintendo's bragging about the number of consoles sold.

By the 4th year, developers pretty much shunned the console, instead opting to throw tons of shovelware at it. I can't remember where I read the article, but one author stated the Wii now holds the title of having the most shovelware of any console ever made.

One can't argue the sales were stellar, but one also can't argue the Wii is in a class all its own. To developers, who rely on software sales, it was a failure.

ikillchicken wrote:
The increased value of the built in BD player as a result of BD's growing success has also helped a lot.

This may have helped, but it certainly isn't the reason for the surge. To make it viable, Sony is taking the largest loss of any other console, because they've no choice.

Ironically, it's the very bluray tech which is why the console was so slow at launch. Developers were pissed they were being charged a license fee in addition to being asked to code specifically for the console.

It took years for development houses to get the necessary components and teams in place to make the games specifically for bluray and the PS3, which is why they can brag today of cross-platform titles and even a few exclusives.

It sure didn't come cheap for the major developers, but the smaller ones simply struggle to cope. Bethesda, famous for Oblivion and Skyrim, are still having problems with the system because of its design, and they're just one of many.

It's looking more favorable the next XBox will support bluray. MS will have to pay its competitor, but considering it's looking to build the next "console" as an entertainment center, bluray will have to be mandatory.

As much as I'm angry with Sony right now, I truly hope the PS4 can do what the PS2 did because that console was simply incredible for what it could do.

It truly changed the face of gaming.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Dear Sony,
Please enable PS2 emulation on PS3s. We know you can do it, and there's no reason not to now. Thanks.
Sincerely,
A loyal Sony customer

They tried. It's actually surprisingly difficult--their solution with the first batch of PS3's was to literally just have all the components of the PS2 in them, which partially accounted for why the thing was so ridiculously expensive.

ALso, emulating is REALLY difficult. Even top-of-the-line gaming PCs have trouble emulating the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox as of now.

////

In any case, I'm glad I picked up a PS2 for 40 bucks a few months ago. Thing's still working strong.

well it would depend on the pc like you said but from personal experience, the gamecube/wii emulation is by far the easiest of the three to pull off along with dreamcast from the last gen. There is also no reason to emulate xbox games due in part that most are on the pc now and serve no purpose in doing so.

Now I will agree with the ps2 and another system the sega saturn which has games that are just finally getting PSN/XBLA/Steam ports 14 years later. I will also agree that even end pc's due are not able to fully emulate these consoles due in part the way bios/specs where made to 100%, even with a 2000 dollar gaming computer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It sucks to hear about that. The PS2 is gone but not forgotten, now I think I'm going to go play some Tales of the Abyss on it now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3