• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Department of Justice Files Suit Over Comics Scan Site

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
But how will we be able to read scans of manga that don't get official English releases? For example, I really want to read Mysterious Girlfriend X, if onemanga is shut down, then how will I read it since it doesn't have an English release?

There's that entitlement again. Just because it exists doesn't mean you should have some sort of right to read it. I don't have any actual numbers here, but I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of official English releases. You're telling me you have read every single thing in English that's interesting?

Or, as ZenErik suggested, if you really want to be able to read everything the Japanese get, learn Japanese and import. That would show a very admirable sense of dedication to your hobby.

You really are stupid! I'm not reading EVERY single thing that comes out, there just happens to be a few things that don't have official US releases so I cannot get them. And not all of us have time to learn Japanese when we got other things to do. How one-track minded some people are.

Last edited by darksharingan on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
But how will we be able to read scans of manga that don't get official English releases? For example, I really want to read Mysterious Girlfriend X, if onemanga is shut down, then how will I read it since it doesn't have an English release?

Many scanlation groups have their own websites or IRC channels (or whatever you call them. I don't use IRC). You can find the manga there, probably at a higher quality, too.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
You really are stupid! I'm not reading EVERY single thing that comes out, there just happens to be a few things that don't have official US releases so I cannot get them. And not all of us have time to learn Japanese when we got other things to do. How one-tracked some people are.

Other things to do like... Read illegal scanlations of manga?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darksharingan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
You really are stupid! I'm not reading EVERY single thing that comes out, there just happens to be a few things that don't have official US releases so I cannot get them. And not all of us have time to learn Japanese when we got other things to do. How one-tracked some people are.

Other things to do like... Read illegal scanlations of manga?

More like our jobs, schools, universities, exams, and all that stuff, some of us have lives you know, manga is a spare time thing...DUH!! Damn, why does the net have a lot of retards trying to sound smart?

Some manga are already out in Japan and ongoing, and don't have US releases and those scans have been out and those not in Japan have already started to read them and they like them, you're saying we should just stop reading them just like that and go out of our way to learn Japanese to read something that's ONLY available in Japan where for some of us are unlikely to go?

Unlike some people I actually BUY my manga and anime, I only download the ones that don't have US releases that I may like such as Gundam X. That's the advantage of the scan sites, the unfortunate thing is that some people are just too cheap to buy their anime and manga that are available to them.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

lol@imported and higher cost goods during a recession.
I haven't seen any reasonable responses to this question so, here I go.

Onemanga is just a collection of manga scans. Sure it is easy to go there to find a lot of anime, not all the anime that is current in Japan. There are groups and people that do the translations then post them somewhere online. Without Onemanga you will just have to look harder.

Since this topic is now about Onemanga. What can the DoJ do about Onemanga?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan surely with your "busy" schedule you've managed to find time to read, and can afford to buy manga so what's the problem... oh right you don't want to spend the time. effort and money to get what you want... I mean is it so much of to ask of your time to go to a book store, library, or online retailer like rightstuf?

Seriously we are asking you to do the right and responsible thing, which is to wait, there are other methods of entertaining yourself, and certainly other manga of which to do so with that you have not read (and in some case don't have to pay for see library..) Sometimes doing the right thing is to make a sacrifice, one which you would be fine with if truly manga doesn't mean that much to you.
Nanoob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
darksharingan surely with your "busy" schedule you've managed to find time to read, and can afford to buy manga so what's the problem... oh right you don't want to spend the time. effort and money to get what you want... I mean is it so much of to ask of your time to go to a book store, library, or online retailer like rightstuf?

Seriously we are asking you to do the right and responsible thing, which is to wait, there are other methods of entertaining yourself, and certainly other manga of which to do so with that you have not read (and in some case don't have to pay for see library..) Sometimes doing the right thing is to make a sacrifice, one which you would be fine with if truly manga doesn't mean that much to you.

I believe he was saying that learning Japanese would be a time-consuming and thoroughly pointless if he only would use it to read manga.

Do right-stuf even sell Japanese manga? I couldn't find it.

He actually makes the same point as you, if you read it again.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
That was just for translations if manga is not important to him then he can wait for it to come out. Certainly he could learn a new language if he wanted to however there is no good reason to illegally get the latest from Japan without having some sense that you are somehow entitled to it.

So in essence I was referring to what is available here, although I'm sure you can find a reputable importer if you wanted to get the "authentic" copy.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Nanoob wrote:

I don't think they do, but Sasuga Books does, at prices that aren't that much more than TokyoPop, Viz, etc, ask for their English translations. Just if anyone is interested, as a satisfied customer.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Since this topic is now about Onemanga. What can the DoJ do about Onemanga?

Which kind of site are they .. do they serve content themselves or do they leech off of others?

In either case, they will be engaged in copyright violation at some stage in the process, so the DOJ would Investigate, catch them doing it, charge them with millions of counts of copyright infringement at heaps of $'s each count. Onemanga folds, all the seized equipment for evidence is then sold at auction. Also the house, car, plasma television, etc. of whomever is found guilty, up to the value of the total fine.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
In the end, this is just a cyclical game of Whac-A-Mole for the sake of "doing something" regardless of its tangible results. The only difference is there are far, far more moles than guys with mallets involved, which is why this story is going to be repeated again and again until something changes the industry on a basic structural level.

For example, to name just one of several unresolved issues that easily come to mind, what about all the out-of-print manga that only sells for either ridiculously high (or, on occasion, ridiculously low) prices on eBay?

It's hard to tell people not to run off and find the scans online (if they even exist).

Shouldn't legal distributors find an alternative solution for potential buyers?

If the manga industry embraced digital distribution in a serious manner, perhaps you'd begin to make a lasting dent on illegal distribution as opposed to removing websites that will be replaced sooner or later.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope they don't go after the manga sites. I don't care whether One Piece or Yu Yu Hakusho go off, because I can buy those, but things like Kinnikuman, Devilman, and Mazinger Z will probably never be released.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Man, there is some serious hatin' going on in this thread.

STOP SNITCHIN'!

Your schtick is really tired and predictable at this point, fyi.

Oh you. <3 you too.
Olivine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Nanoob wrote:

I don't think they do, but Sasuga Books does, at prices that aren't that much more than TokyoPop, Viz, etc, ask for their English translations. Just if anyone is interested, as a satisfied customer.

Sasuga books are hilariously overpriced. I wouldn't buy from them.
www.bk1.jp < for pretty much everything except the more obscure magazines
www.clubjapan.jp < more obscure magazines
www.kinokuniya.com < if you need an english interface/customer service

---------------

I think it would be hilarious if, one day, all the scanlation group's translators just quit. The internet people would be like "NO FAIR I DUN HOW REED SQUIGELS?1" and then I would talk about the untranslated stuff and everyone would be like, "What? Those don't exist silly!" It would be good times.

Why do scanlators even go through the trouble of buying the book/magazine, ripping it apart, translating it, and throwing it on the internet for the grimey masses? I don't get it. I'm sure not going to destroy my books so little Billy doesn't have to do jack squat. People need to get off their lazy mental asses if they want the latest from japan so badly. Scanlators just enable stupidity and laziness to run rampant.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

Why do scanlators even go through the trouble of buying the book/magazine, ripping it apart, translating it, and throwing it on the internet for the grimey masses? I don't get it. I'm sure not going to destroy my books so little Billy doesn't have to do jack squat. People need to get off their lazy mental asses if they want the latest from japan so badly. Scanlators just enable stupidity and laziness to run rampant.

As far as I know, scanlators do it because they enjoy it to an extent, and like providing a service to people who are interested in their material. Can it make money? Absolutely. Donations provided from readers can potentially even out the cost of purchasing books to be translated. It's very hippie commune in a way.

Oh, and the fact that scanlators and the readers of such are giant douches (like myself) helps too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19