• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you look for new series to watch?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
ANN
I look for popularity and ratings typically. But before i even look for that, i have to actually find the title. This way of hunting is quite simple and difficult. In order to hunt for anime I either go by genres, by random hype, or by searching other people's My Anime lists. I usually look at their ratings or their comments or even their categories like :Top 10. After i pick out a title then i look at the ratings, summary and the popularity. Since now i have basically seen most popular animes, i look at ratings or summary mostly. This is all thanks to ANN ofc, so anyways after that all theres left is to watch the anime. I also use the TOP10/worst5 thread to pick out some anime. That's a faster way to get top animes to watch. But i still prefer looking through My ANime lists of specific people since i rather trust a person who has viewed numerous animes rather than someone who is new and barely has even seen 30 or so titles.
Personal Habits
Oh yea i almost forgot, watching a series depends on mood and feeling i get. Sometimes im in an urgent mood for romance anime, such as Suzuka while at other times im in a mood for more action, like Bleach, or at other times i feel the urge to view psychological thrillers or even horrors, like Monster.
I also usually just watch one episode before i decide to watch the rest at that moment. Like sometimes some series, even if the ratings are good, just throw me off at that instance, so i just wait and watch it some other time.
And if no1 mentioned: gut feeling also plays a big part. I sometimes disregard ratings or a person's comment and simply watch it and still enjoy a new series.
Reviews
Oh the guy who said reviews are full of shyt, I agree. My reason is that I don't agree with many reviewer's opinions and thus i have disregarded OR ignored most other reviewers' thoughts. Yes this is a lopsided way of thinking, but I could care less. You know how stereotypes are created, it is usually based on some kind of truth. Reviews commonly are very biased and corny. Corny >meaning not worth my time. Also i can't trust a reviewer; sometimes they try to hype up a series based on how they felt, it just leaves me with a big fat smirk or me saying "bs." With that smirk I'm asking, "Imagine a person actually saying those words out loud, what a fool he/she would sound like?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I use a combination of forums and word of mouth usually. A friend of mine watches way more anime than I do, so he's always good for a recommendation. Not to mention all the knowledgable people here on ANN. Cool

I've been following studios lately too, namely BONES and Gainax. I've enjoyed nearly every titles they've been involved with so far, so it's working out well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Often I will look into something that keeps poping up in pictures and forums, then check here first for rating, I often check some reviews, but not any single, I want to check some negative and positive ratings. At first I based many off the short descriptions, but have learnt to give different things a go, like at first I thought a combat butler would not be interesting, a suicidal teacher could not be funny, a sad story was not worth the ride, a bunch of girls with no plot couldnt be interesting or romance involving a robot or a child like character would be creepy and not a good watch. I have chosen some shows because of same company or seiyu, but that is because I liked that wanted more the style. This sites genre search is very helpfull for finding certain titles within genre, but there are limitations and titles that I have enjoyed without ranking highly.

Though to be honest I have also picked up a few series as I came across somthing that put a show in an ero setting. That is one way to find a show is popular ..... please don't judge me.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
An anime forum I frequent posts previews every season, with links to the official websites. For me it's usually enough to decide, since I'm positive what type of show I'll like. I do prefer to give most shows per season at least 1-2 eps before I decide though, but some are too obviously "not my target audience".
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Simple. Just watch one or two episodes and determine yourself if you like it or not. Ratings are often bias or based on few votes. Only you can determine if you like a show or not. Looking at reviews and ratings is like having them determine whether you like the show are not before you even sample it.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Usually I will ask friends what they are watching, and if that sounds interesting to me, I will do some looking into it. I tend to stick to unbiased sources, such as the encyclopedia here, and then decide from there if I want to watch it. Generally I can tell from the plot summary if it might be worth checking out. I don't really read very many reviews until after I have already seen a series. This is mostly to protect myself from any potential spoilers, and to not taint my opinion of a show.

Sometimes I will buy a box set blind and just watch it. This hasn't worked quite as well, but usually I can find something enjoyable about the shows I have chosen this way.

When I ran a club, we had something called "Choose Your Own Anime". We'd put about three titles from our own collection up for voting, and whatever won, we watched. I modified it slightly and by the time I left, I had whichever officer was helping that week select a title. Many members commented that this segment would pique their curiosity about shows and would inspire them to go see the rest for themselves.

As a member, before I was ever the president, the club itself was a way to show me new series I had never seen before.

If I am reading a manga I enjoy, and discover there is an anime version that has been released, I will happily check it out. The same applies the other way, as well.

Now, sometimes things were not quite what I was expecting, and I did encounter a couple of shows that are by no means my favorites, but these methods have generally worked for me.

Last edited by Hepzibah on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get the general hatred for ANN's reviews. Maybe it's just because my personal tastes seem to pretty much match the staff's (with the exception of Casey and Carl). I prefer a reviewer to be more critical, that way if a series falls within my interests and gets a good review I can pretty safely expect it to be worth my time and money.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well lets see... I do a couple of things...

I'll look on the ANN Forums to see what series are talked of a lot... and then i'll go search them and look them up on the database here and on this other site (animesource). I also on the forums will go to the quote and picture game thing, and find pictures that intrigue me and then i'll look at the answer and see the series and then will look up the series on the database.

I also looked at a number of differnet ANN members who had seen a lot or a decent amount of shows that also masterpieced and execelented shows that I did, and then looked at the ones they liked that i've not heard of and then look them up. This is probably one of my most efficient and sucessful methods of looking for anime, i've found most of them in that manner. It's a good way to find anime that you would like and it allows you to find them in big numbers and relatively easily.

On top of that, if you live near a large anime seller like Best buy or Frys i'll often go there, and in my cellphone i'll write down the name of series' that have an interesting backside (plot descrpition and what not) and then i'll go home and look them up as well.

That's about all I do.

-Elfen12-
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I see synopsis somewhere, or recs of shows that are similar, might watch the OP and ED, then I add it to my wish list. Then I quite literally start whatever spur of the moment with no planning whatsoever. Seriously, it's whatever I think will catch my fancy and preferably be either different than what I last saw, or same genre but much better. It can be an old anime, it can be a new one, doesn't matter. If everyone is annoying me to watch something I might then too, if they prove to be more annoying than my cat when she's hungry *stares at my cat right now as though to say "STOP ANNOYING ME!"*, but hype will also give me the opposite effort more often in that I either never see it or don't see it until a good 2 years after the fact. Mostly, it's whatever catches my fancy. Also, the tournaments have been helping give me good suggestions lately, I got quite a few series out of the clever/intelligent tourney.

If I'm buying an anime however, I do the above of reading synopsis, but I also look up reviews (this helps greatly), user reviews, ask people on forums, etc etc, since I'm going to spend money on it, I want to make sure the odds of my liking it are very high (and even then I seem to fail at it from time to time). If I'm buying a manga, I'll try to rent it from the library or just go into the Borders and read it there.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
I don't really get the general hatred for ANN's reviews. Maybe it's just because my personal tastes seem to pretty much match the staff's (with the exception of Casey and Carl). I prefer a reviewer to be more critical, that way if a series falls within my interests and gets a good review I can pretty safely expect it to be worth my time and money.

I dunno, ANN reviews generally tend to be intelligently-written, and in any case better than anything out there that's written about new anime in English. The ones complaining are usually the fans who dislike their favourite show not getting A+. There's always fans, there'll always be complaints. Personally, I read reviews AFTER seeing the film/series, to compare opinions.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 am Reply with quote
I don't have a system, truthfully. My buying habits often dictate what I'll be watching.

TRSI's bargain bin has given me shows I would have never thought to buy based on opinion. Shows like The Slayers and Nuku Nuku TV were blind buys and both were joys to watch. Given the very low cost, I felt there was nothing to lose by purchasing them.

I've a new order on the way with the same method. Aside from Karin (which I've wanted since seeing parts online), most are series to which I've no clue about them.

Blind buying may seem foolish to some, but for me, it keeps anime fresh. If I knew what I'd be getting all the time, I'd get bored.

Also, I would have missed the gem of Nuku Nuku TV, and for $12, one of the best campy anime series I've seen so far. Love it.

I will have to say, though, in looking at the summer list of what's coming out, there are a few I'm interested in. Price will be a factor, of course, because if TRSI can give me two series for the same price, the new series gets a pass.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
First of all, I watch what's available on TV. I live in New York, so between Adult Swim, Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday lineup and intermittent showings on IFC and Starz and a Miyazaki festival over the years since I started in 2001-2, that's actually been quite a bit. In particular, many major shounen series eventually air if you're willing to wait for them. That doesn't happen to be my own demographic, but once in a blue moon I do watch something like Fullmetal Alchemist or Wolf's Rain that I liked enough to buy.

From there, I look at the "top" best and most popular lists in the encyclopedia here. If something that I think will never air looks like it's for me, then I surf the web to get a better idea what to expect. I then make a decision whether or not to buy blind once it's available in thinpack (I don't have enough room for singles). That's worked for me in all but one case.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Here are a few ways that I find new anime to watch:

Online streaming: This is a rarity for me since I don't like watching videos that much on a computer screen.

Word of mouth: If I see something enough in the forums I usually gain an interest and usually rent it when I get the time.

Reviews (Ann's reviews, Bamboo's Shelf Life, JesuOtaku's reviews that JO has done reviews for are for shows that I have already seen or don't have an interest.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:

Agreed, except my tastes for anime are somewhat similar to most of the reviewers. I like shonen, comedy and slice of life, but I can't stand moe or anything shojo. Though moe makes me shake my head in disapointment, whereas I just don't like shojo at all.

Most of the time (9 out of ten times) the reviews here are generally correct. Carlos Santos (Right Turn Only) recently reviewed Yokai Doctor a while ago. At first I thought this would be another stupid fanservice blob Del Ray often licenses, but it turned out to be a really interesting series.

I read the first volume and purchased it after throughly reading the manga. Really, the staff know what they doing here, so I don't understand people not likeing the reviews. I much rather them be critical and truthful, than fluffy and over the top. Its saves people from watching horriable shows and also gives people a chance to watch great shows.

But honestly, if I am going to watch a new series, I either heard about it from a friend or I saw news/review of it on Anime News Network. However with manga, I typically judge by the title and then the overal series.

One would be surprized how many excellent unlicensed series there are and how fablous some of them are.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the time (9 out of ten times) the reviews here are generally correct.

Yes, if you mean "no grammatical or spelling errors(what is obvious when they are written by professionals) and written in interesting way(nothing strange, see above).
No if you mean "telling everyone what he would love". In that matter there's no correct reviews, just reviewers with similar tastes to yours or not. For example- Guin Saga. One can tell that it's full of pathos and dialogues are strange, so it's boring, but someone else might like this kind of fantasy and write completely different opinion- which one is correct?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3