• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Crash has plenty of problems unrelated to whether it's canon or not.

Like Largo's plan to destroy the city by... ramming a drill into a power plant? Nuclear meltdowns do not work that way.

I mean, he can tap into satellite lasers and he chooses a big drill as his weapon? Lame.

Maybe he got damaged and lost the ability to tap into satellite lasers when he spoiler[got shot by Leon in Crisis and fell off the skyscraper].

Both shows had questionable science or phenomena that cannot be explained by science as it is currently understood. Boomers that can morph like putty and fuse with surrounding objects are not scientifically plausible. Nanotechnology, or however you choose to explain it, has not developed to that level yet. That's where suspension of disbelief comes in.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
Maybe he got damaged and lost the ability to tap into satellite lasers when he spoiler[got shot by Leon in Crisis and fell off the skyscraper].

Both shows had questionable science or phenomena that cannot be explained by science as it is currently understood. Boomers that can morph like putty and fuse with surrounding objects are not scientifically plausible. Nanotechnology, or however you choose to explain it, has not developed to that level yet. That's where suspension of disbelief comes in.

Hang on though. Science Fiction is by definition stories featuring technology not yet developed by the real world. In fact, in the majority of cases, it may even be technology for which we either do not know whether it is possible or even think it probably is not. As you said though you can suspend your disbelief because we don't know and assume that it is possible somehow in the future. What is tough to swallow though is when a series fails to be consistent in it's use of existing technology. We know how that works and so we have shifted from 'okay, it may be possible so we'll assume it is' as was the case originally to 'well I know that isn't possible but I'll pretend it is'. This is much tougher to do. The same is true when a series fails to be consistent with it's own hypothetical technology. At that point we can no longer still have an understanding of what is possible. (Even a hypothetical one). We just have to go along with whatever they say it possible at the moment. What I'm trying to say here is that Crisis more or less requires the same level of suspension of disbelief as most SciFi. Hence it is pretty reasonable. However, there is a point where a show requires an unreasonable level of suspension of disbelief and is better described as simply a poorly written or plotted show.
marie1901

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
fruits basket. i mean i loved the anime but the ending just left me still with unanswered questions

spoiler[so im guessing the sohma family will never break the curse? or why Akito has to die/does he ever die?]
SpacePope

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the ending to Fate/Stay Night for the first time. Seriously, why do so many anime have it to where spoiler[the two main characters don't get together in the end because the writer and/or director is trying to make some statement about humanity/reality/life/whatever]? Would it have killed them to get spoiler[Saber and Shiro together]?
sk1199

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It's my understanding that Fruits Basket ended the way it did was that the author was not pleased with the anime. I haven't heard what her specific complaints were but the animators had no recourse but to stop the anime where they did.
If you want to see how everything ends read the manga. Or if you want to cheat see the Fruits Basket discussion thread in the manga section.
Rocky3535

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
I loved Berserk. From an art, story,character, and even marketing stand point.....it was perfect. The plan all along was to just tell the story of the "Golden Age" Arc , up untill spoiler[the eclipse].
The way it ended literally had me going "No, this can't be right. There has to be another episode right?" But alas....there is none. However...it forced me to start reading the manga. It is without a doubt , the most amazing manga i've ever read. It was genius.....if you know you are going to have over 35+ volumes of manga awesomeness.....why not make a 25 episode anime that covers almost the entire first 13 of those 35+ volumes and end it with the single most important turning point in the ENTIRE storyline and literally just fade to black.....well....red....? What is gonna make you read that manga? I know it worked on me and i've been hooked since 2000.....now if we just didn't have to wait 6 months for a new chapter to be released we'd be gold. It's well worth the wait.

I
Rocky3535

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
I've also noticed some people aren't really down with the Trigun anime ending. All i can tell you is be thankful with what you have there. If you watched the anime like me first , you would have been dissapointed with the manga......but only with the ending. The Manga storyline was far, far, far superior to the anime storyline. You get to see new gung-ho guns and learn a lot more about vash and knives and the "plants" in the manga. The ending however was a massive pile of crap. It's the only thing the anime had over the manga....then endings.

The Anime ending:
spoiler[Vash and Knives fight. Vash defeats Knives and incapacitates him. Then returns to the village where Milly and Meryl are so he can begin his mission to show Knives the error of his ways and try to get him to live in peace with humans...end.]

The Manga Ending:
spoiler[Vash and Knives Fight. Vash saves Knives from an attacking Earth space ship, but is now on the verge of death. Knives and Vash fly away. Knives takes Vash to a father and son and tells them to help him. They take Vash in. In a last act of kindness.....Knives usues his last bit of power to make an apple tree then disintegrates. 6 months later another bounty is placed on Vash by Earths army and Milly and Meryl are now Action News Reporters chasing after Vash. The series ends with everyone chasing Vash around the desert in hilarious fashion. A complete and utter slap in the face to an amazing manga.]

I always tell people to read the manga , then at the last chapter , watch the final episode of the anime. Its much much better.

DeathNote is the the only thing i tell people is better to watch than read. Other than that...stick to mangas. Animes will only dissapoint you pretty much.[/spoiler]
vision1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Though I thoroughly enjoyed reading the argument between Penguintruth and Boomer about Crash! I don't have much to add on its respective ending, other than it was a poor sequel in andof itself, and hugely disappointed me (this opinion reflects my thoughts and view only, and is not intended to convert or convince anyone of the same)

But the BIG KAHOONA of FAIL with endings, in my book (braces for possible firestorm of flaming) is, believe it or not, GIS Stand Alone Complex Season 1. Now that I've made that ghastly statement, let me explain. The entire series is so damn awesome, so visually breathtaking, so amazing sounding, so inspiring and incredible as a complete work that I despise its ending- and by this I specifically mean episode 26- because I believe the writers were going in a direction with the story, were building to something potentially earth shattering- and then THEY CHICKENED OUT.
It is possible that they may have suddenly been informed before they had decided what to do, that there would be a Season 2, and ditched what they were going for to make for an easy landing and segue into the next season- but oh man, they built up the intensity to a boiling- and just when this bomb was about to explode they- just switched it off.
Episode 25 stands as by far my favorite episode- spoiler["It's my life, heh, how I waste is is my own damn business" these words are funny and yet chilling, since we've seen what this Special Ops organization that's after Section 9 have already done, and when your chief pleads desperately with his lieutenant Kusanagi "Don't die! Survive no matter what" ]the writers have set the stakes very, very high; and I expect to be in for a wild ride. I was gasping "Oh no!" when Batou was spoiler[hit by a blast and thrown skidding into the dirt, a gun now at his head about to be killed- and the climax with the Tachikomas giving everything they have (literally) to blow up that battle-mover brought tears to my eyes.] So that's why it all comes downhill for me when they spoiler[shoot Kusanagi-] you see- in order for there to be true suspense, for me to become and then stay upset- actual DEATH needs to be a possibility. spoiler[How many times has the Major been killed but not killed? As the 26th begins we just learn that- hey everything was allright! Kusanagi is fine! No problem! Everyone else is fine! Not even any scratches! And all smiling! Would the Laughing Man ]like to join Section 9? Why not!?!?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
They ruined it! It could have been so much better- a final battle with Batou+Motoko against the military... Saito, Bulma and Ichikawa being tortured to give details about their friends, explosions, violence- and Kusanagi being blown to bits and almost unrecognizeable.. all of this could have happened... and should have happened, had the writers stayed on the course they were on. Make me CRY. Make me terrified. They were heading there- but chickened out so I feel letdown by the ending. Just so I don't go too long with the reply, I've actually written an alternate 26 ending which fits along the lines of what I thought the series' writers were going to do and could have done. And it would still leave room for another season- and it would have been a memorable ending, complete with nods to some American movies- something the Japanese are always good at.
Now, before I get virtually disembowled for what I've said, I maintain my devotion to this show and still grant it the highest ratings possible. In the anime world it's the best of the best... but I just don't get running 25.9 miles of a marathon and then stopping before the finish line. Why? It makes no sense. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gaaraxluvr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
marie1901 wrote:
fruits basket. i mean i loved the anime but the ending just left me still with unanswered questions

spoiler[so im guessing the sohma family will never break the curse? or why Akito has to die/does he ever die?]

Well, it's true that Fruits Basket didn't have a real ending in the ANIME, but if you go read the manga it has a fully resolved and in my own opinion, a very touching ending.

See, the anime got cut off. The people who were producing it either didn't have the funds to finish or something else went horribly awry.
Gaaraxluvr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The ending that disappointed me the most was Wolf's Rain...

spoiler[It's like, you had this big climactic ending cranking up, everyone was dying one after another, it was so sad, and then all that' left is Kiba, Cheza, and Darzia. And then, they just all....die...and Kiba's like "oh well, guess there wasn't any paradise."

Then it turns all wierd and I DID NOT understand the last part, because then they just got.....reincarnated? And they didn't remember anything?

It's like....what was the point?]
TittiTuu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
generally, endings of anime that are adaptations of still publishing mangas. (eg, d gray man, claymore)
cyberia_knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to say Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series, Thank God for the movies. It is still on my top 5 Anime Series of all time.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
cyberia_knight wrote:
I have to say Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series, Thank God for the movies. It is still on my top 5 Anime Series of all time.

Not quite right. The movies are part of Evangelion anime as a whole. If they were satisfying and enjoyable, then Evangelion wasn't disappointing, I suppose.
If not, then I'd say Eden of the East for having a cliffhanger bigger than the Everest(like stopping to pee halfway through).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Rocky3535, it's weird how the Trigun manga is so excellent, but then the ending was so drawn-out and ended up a little bit disappointing. The last few pages still made me smile, but I felt the solution with Knives was a cop-out. What I'd really like to see is what happens next in the TV series version, spoiler[whether Knives lives with Vash, or he's held captive or what. ] But the movie will be taking place before the end of the TV show.

vision1, I feel like GitS: SAC drops the ball at the end of both seasons. Every time I watch the endings I get a tad more used to them, but I'm still not quite satisfied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
vision1: I'm a huge fan of SAC, and I totally agree with you - the series as it had been so far deserved a much better ending (spoiler[I love how Togusa was like, right inside the Section 9 building half an hour before Batou stopped him from shooting Yakushima and brought him back there again - shouldn't he have noticed the operators roaming the halls, not to mention the comrades he thought were dead?]), and the last episode felt like a total cop out. What happened to all those scenes of spoiler[everyone getting shot up and beaten to a bloody pulp?] I know the 'end' end was spoiler[supposed to happen three months after the bit where the Major's remote body gets its head blown off and everyone else was rounded up], but come on - there is no way spoiler[what they did to Ishikawa's face] got completely fixed in that time, micromachines or no.

I think the problem is that they just didn't leave enough space for a proper resolution - there is no way they could have satisfyingly wrapped up everything they'd built up in the last 25 episodes with just one more episode. Maybe if they'd cut a stand alone episode here or there, but as it was there wasn't anywhere near enough room for a good conclusion, and it seemed like they kind of panicked and just decided to spoiler[say that somehow everything worked out in the end.] Quite frankly, it's kind of insulting to the brilliant writing of the rest of the show, although I find myself hating it a little less every time I see it.

The 2nd GIG ending was loads better, IMO, even if it did move a little fast. I still think that they should have said something about spoiler[the Major deciding to leave the unit] in the last episode, though - it pretty much came out of nowhere in Solid State Society, only to be resolved again almost instantly, which made what should have been an OMG HUGE event into something that fell a bit flat.

Also, I still have no idea who Prime Minister Kayabuki called during her crowning moment of awesome, and it bugs me that Togusa knew and didn't bother to tell the audience. How rude!

Last edited by hakojo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9