• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Lance, A Lot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Damn. No Index and Railgun blu-rays kinda has me bummed out.

It's quite disappointing. It doesn't feel right to be buying a HD show on plain, old DVD. I definitely won't be buying Railgun as anything other than a Blu-ray release. I guess that Index would also need to be on BD, to have a chance at getting me to make a purchase (otherwise I'll just watch the Funi [subbed, if there is one] stream).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
[Try to turn a thread in to your chance to berate and personally attack another user again and you'll be taking a vacation.]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of things that happen in the anime industry that I don't like, but still understand. Things like how Japan is afraid of reverse importation, so they make us wait for our DVD releases. I hate that with a passion, but I get it.

However, I do not get why you'd use DVD sales to dictate whether a show should be sold on BD, particularly for a show that's in native HD. Lance, I know you peruse both these and the AOD forums, so I know you know that when it comes to native HD shows, people (at least ones with BD players) are saying point blank: "Waiting for the BD". They're not saying that to make the DVD sales suffer, they're saying it because HD shows shouldn't be watched on anything other than BD if you want the best atmosphere while watching.

Moral of the story: Shows in native HD like The Sacred Blacksmith should already have BDs planned for the future, because ideally, that's how they should be seen and that's how people with BD players (72% of your buyers if I remember correctly) want it. You said it yourself that people should have the choice to choose between buying the DVD or the BD, but I don't think holding back the BD because you're making your decisions based DVD sales is the best way to go about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Rather, they fumbled around debating how to pronounce it, then *turned to me* in the audience and I shouted out "Ay-vangelion as in Day!"

Just be happy you weren't a fan 10 years ago when people routinely referred to it as "Evanjelawn". Not that I really give a shit, but it used to be worse.

I'll use whatever pronunciation that Carl Horn decides is correct. ^_^
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
maaya wrote:
Interesting. But how do you know?

I think there is at least one other reason. Because nothing forces them not to do another anime season / series with a different director / studio etc. It's just that there are very few shojo animes in general, and most of them only cover a certain part of its manga counterpart (all recent ones I can think of), and very few get a second season (only Kimi ni todoke, Black Butler and Vampire Knight come to mind right now).

My source is confidential I'm afraid. That said, it originated from someone high up on the production staff.

You're also right in that it's rare these days that shoujo goes for more than 2 seasons. It'd be really unlikely for them to pick up and use a different studio/director, though, because Daichi's style is VERY distinctive, so there'd be a pretty jarring change of tone on a season 2. More likely, the bad experience made Takaya hesitant to agree to another season. But the staff complained about her being a control freak before, so I'd be terrified to see what she'd be like to work with NOW.

So the reason Takaya can't take her toy and go to another company is the existing contract; just how it works in Japan; or something else? I realize that another company might balk at working with her, if her reputation among those business is what it is said to be (she's said to be hard to work with), I still have to wonder why she hasn't done it all the same. As you mentioned, the economy being as it is and the popularity of the Fruits Basket being what it is, someone decided the potential profit might be worth the problems might make someone decided to change their mind and go after it (though I also remember hearing something about Takaya hand picking everyone who worked on the original show and that could be another aspect of why this hasn't ever moved on (I figure she must realize she messed up and saving face is a very important aspect of the culture involved here)).

Anyway, thanks for the original post. The rumor mill pretty much has been saying the same thing you just confirmed for years, though you made the extend of the emotions on the subject a lot clearer IMO.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I strongly suspect that FUNI would put the Index/Railgun franchise on Blu-Ray at the same time as DVD if they could, but the Japanese licensor won't let them do so for a couple of years as they don't want to undermine domestic Japanese sales of the super-expensive Blu-Ray singles with reverse-imports of a relatively-much-lower-priced Blu-Ray half-season set.

By the time Funi gets around to releasing Index in a year or two, the show will have been released in Japan for more than a couple of years. Railgun's quite a bit newer, but given the snail's pace that Funi works at...

There are two or three Funi shows that I have not purchased on DVD because I'm waiting for a BD release that may never come, and there are a couple of Funi shows that I did buy on DVD that I will not rebuy on upscaled BD. If their sales numbers confuse them because of that, then 'oh well.'
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
maaya wrote:
Interesting. But how do you know?

I think there is at least one other reason. Because nothing forces them not to do another anime season / series with a different director / studio etc. It's just that there are very few shojo animes in general, and most of them only cover a certain part of its manga counterpart (all recent ones I can think of), and very few get a second season (only Kimi ni todoke, Black Butler and Vampire Knight come to mind right now).

My source is confidential I'm afraid. That said, it originated from someone high up on the production staff.

You're also right in that it's rare these days that shoujo goes for more than 2 seasons. It'd be really unlikely for them to pick up and use a different studio/director, though, because Daichi's style is VERY distinctive, so there'd be a pretty jarring change of tone on a season 2. More likely, the bad experience made Takaya hesitant to agree to another season. But the staff complained about her being a control freak before, so I'd be terrified to see what she'd be like to work with NOW.
Strange, and surprising that that could be said about her as in her manga she wrote in footnotes that she was always very thankful and praising the anime staff for doing such a good job and making her first experience of having her work produced into anime an enjoyable one, though she does mention that she was apprehensive of having unfamiliar people doing something with her creation, like a mother letting her first child be babysat for the first time. But if your sources are correct, that might explain the reason a Fruba sequel has never been attempted.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Their initial simulcast strategy was to get DVD rights "with*" (or a little after) the streaming. Ex: Corpse princess, Phantom. Also remember it was a while between Phantom streaming and them announcing they had the DVD rights. (*Note: They claimed streaming numbers mattered here.)

Then there was strategy where they waited until they had DVD rights to go simulcast. Ex: Bund and Bakatest

The next strategy was closer to going back to the the "simulcast only, we'll see how that does" strategy. Ex: noitaminA. These are the shows since April where they made it clear at panels that DVD rights actually depended on how the show did. They were also now picking up a few clearly for simulcast shows.

It appears from Lance's response that they have gone back to their middle strategy for the most part.

No, I agree with you actually. This is how I would interpret his comments as well. I don't think Funimation seriously intends to bring over everything they stream on DVD. I was just responding to agila's supposition along those lines.

Blood- wrote:
[attacks removed]

Do not for a second think I'm giving you permission to shoot your mouth off at me. You are free to express your disagreement civilly. If that is a problem for you then you will not speak to me again. If you can not accept these options then understand that I will be getting the mods involved.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Sad to hear about Sgt. Frog. Sad

Not a lot of surprises in that ANNCast, most of what was said fit my own perception of things. (Which isn't really a good thing.) Still, some interesting bits of info there.

Lance is apparently a troper and Zac brought up something I've routinely been bugged by: the Wal-Mart issue! About time someone got into that. The bias of many against Wal-Mart has really blinded people to the usefullness of anime being in those stores. They can afford to risk carrying anime that BB and others won't bother with anymore. And the chain is freaking everywhere. My hometown, which is drying up and dying, has a decent sized Wal-Mart that carries anime! The nearest BB has more anime but it's scaling back so much on anime and such that I've pretty much given up on them. I say to Wal-Mart: PLEASE carry more anime!

I do wish Zac and fans in general would stop asking the "best seller" question though. Unless you're asking for a Top 5 or Top 10, the answer is pretty much a given. It's Dragon Ball Z or EVA. Why not ask "aside from DBZ and EVA, what was the top seller?" once in a while? Maybe we'd get an answer that doesn't leave us all rolling our eyes going "yeah, what did you expect it to be?"

Also, what's with everyone ganging up on ikillchicken? Sure he could have re-phrased a few lines of that post but personally I sympathize with his frustration. I've been waiting to learn more about Baka and Test for a damn long time and I'd love to see House of Five Leaves get an English dub and a DVD release. (Or Blu-Ray, I've got a PS3.)
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
There are two or three Funi shows that I have not purchased on DVD because I'm waiting for a BD release that may never come, and there are a couple of Funi shows that I did buy on DVD that I will not rebuy on upscaled BD. If their sales numbers confuse them because of that, then 'oh well.'
Given the low volumes that they work at, once the market is at the point to allow them to comfortably release premium BD release side by side a premium DVD release, at adequate volume to justify the premium BD release, it will show up in the sales figures of those shows that are sold side by side ... and if a little noise in the sales figures is enough to put that in doubt, then its likely still a marginal proposition.

Always supposing the R1 anime industry survives to that point of premium DVD and BD releases side by side, then the sales figures will say fairly clearly when its time to drop the premium DVD releases and DVDs start sliding down the value ladder, to complete boxsets, and then primarily to S.A.V.E. type releases.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Their initial simulcast strategy was to get DVD rights "with*" (or a little after) the streaming. Ex: Corpse princess, Phantom. Also remember it was a while between Phantom streaming and them announcing they had the DVD rights. (*Note: They claimed streaming numbers mattered here.)

Then there was strategy where they waited until they had DVD rights to go simulcast. Ex: Bund and Bakatest

The next strategy was closer to going back to the the "simulcast only, we'll see how that does" strategy. Ex: noitaminA. These are the shows since April where they made it clear at panels that DVD rights actually depended on how the show did. They were also now picking up a few clearly for simulcast shows.

It appears from Lance's response that they have gone back to their middle strategy for the most part.
No, I agree with you actually. This is how I would interpret his comments as well.
and the middle strategy that you are agreeing is their present strategy clearly does not involve picking up streams that they have no intention of pursuing, though of course there are never a guarantee that a viable deal can be arrived at.

Indeed, the third strategy does not involve picking up streams that they have no intention of pursuing, though it implies that some of the streams have to perform well in order to be pursued.

Quote:
I don't think Funimation seriously intends to bring over everything they stream on DVD. I was just responding to agila's supposition along those lines.
Its not my supposition ... except for swapping out the more realistic "negotiate for" and replacing it with "bring over", its what Lance said. They don't pick up a stream unless they are going to try to pursue full bundled rights, the dub, the DVD release, possibly BD release, possibly pitch it for television or put it on their channel, possibly distribute it as a digital download.

Indeed, my previous supposition was that Funimation was going to do what I viewed as the smart thing and deliberately stream titles that they were not necessarily intending to pick up, and then cherry-pick the winners for a dub. That is, I was originally supposing that they were in fact doing what you are whinging about.

However, Lance was quite clear that Funimation is not pursuing that strategy. Obviously that does not mean that they will "bring over everything they stream", since negotiation for the full bundled rights is just that, a negotiation, and when they run their numbers, it may be that the best terms that they can get do not support taking the license.

But if they end up passing on a full bundled license, eg if they end up being unable to get a deal that makes House of Five Leaves viable, there's nothing preventing a distributor like Nozomi from picking it up as a sub-only thinkpack boxset release, if they think it can cover the much lower costs of that kind of release.

Indeed, its not been clearly established that Funimation this last summer was picking up series that they viewed upfront as "simulcast only". Three of their summer simulcasts (or "simulcasts") were sequels to Funimation titles, and two were in their noitaminA deal, which only leaves Legends of the Legendary Heroes.

Since hanging a whole argument on a single title would be silly, the whole "they were picking up simulcast only shows" boils down to the noitaminA block deal. They may well have hoped to get more series suitable for a dubbed release from that block. Fuji's description of the strategy for the block as it was expended from one to two series per season may have sounded a lot more promising than things turned out.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So the reason Takaya can't take her toy and go to another company is the existing contract; just how it works in Japan; or something else?

A combination of things, some we know and some we don't. She really doesn't have say over who produces a show, just approval and input on creative decisions. The business stuff is left to her publisher Hakusensha, and the various companies who paid to be on the production committee (of which Animation producer Studio DEEN may have been, dunno for sure) likely have permanent rights or at least first dibs on being a part of sequels/second seasons/spinoffs/etc. That's a pretty standard part of a production contract. So untangling the property from all of those companies is likely not legally possible.

All of those companies have a vested interest in making a show as similar as possible to the original, and are unlikely to contribute their limited funds to a project where the creator is trying to take it in another direction that might not work and will surely piss off the many fans of the original. But again, you never know. It's just really really unlikely.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
[poof]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Knock it off you two or I'm turning this car around and there'll be no Chuck E. Cheese for anyone!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Knock it off you two or I'm turning this car around and there'll be no Chuck E. Cheese for anyone!

I think you're running out of material, Zac. You just used this line recently. It is pretty funny how Blood- is involved both times, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11